Number One

Why’d you only call me when you’re high?

A/N: I’m not really that good with one-shots, because I like drawn out romances and plots, but here ya go. Inspired by Arctic Monkeys’ new single. (Yeah, I love them) Some lines derived from the lyrics, and some scenes from the music video. Can you spot them?
 

Why’d you only call me when you’re high?


This was officially a bad idea. In fact, it was the worst idea ever. He wasn’t that much of a drinker anyway. Occasionally, he went out with some friends and enjoyed a pint of beer, or two. There was something about getting drunk that greatly put him off – probably because he was too much composed and always seemed to be in control.

So why in the hell did he agree to drinking with Jiyong – and subsequently getting smashingly drunk in the process?

Bloody feelings, that’s why.

He was curious when Jiyong bought out this vintage looking fountain or whatever, and he got even more curious when he put a bottle of sinister looking green liquid in front of him. Jaejoong, Taeyang, and Seungri all hooted loudly and were excited.

Jiyong cackled loudly and produced this medieval looking spoon and started to prepare the drink – only then did he realize they were going to drink the Green Fairy, Absinthe.

I saw fairies, alright. Seung Hyun managed to think amidst the pounding headache. Fairies that looked suspiciously like a certain woman who was the reason that he even got drunk in the first place.

Fairies, or were they angels? Yeah, because Park Bom looked like a Seraphim straight from his own personal hell.

It started a few days ago – he accidentally pushed Bom into the lake where they were trying to feed some fish. It was stupid, really. He was trying to swat some bee which was getting too close for comfort to his face; he kept swatting it because he was so determined to crush it with his hands when he heard the splash of water and Bom’s high pitched scream. It seems he has knocked her off balance with his arms.

Bom was irate of course. What woman would want to swim in a puddle of murky water? He helped her up, – and tried to divert his eyes to something else but his eyes had been stuck on the way her wet clothes clung to her body.

Sh.it, even in drunkenness he managed to think about her.

He can’t put the moves on Bom, so to speak. She’s the younger sister of Park Dong Wook, one of his closest friends. He wasn’t here at the moment, but he knew if Dong Wook heard about him trying to seduce his younger sister, then he’ll come back from Canada to give him a good beating. He was insanely protective of Bom, and he’ll probably try all the ways to keep Seung Hyun’s filthy paws off his innocent sister.

Although the thought of corrupting Bom excited him to a degree, he can’t really do that now.

After the lake incident, it didn’t help matters that she was around constantly. He worked as a consultant for an IT firm, and Bom happened to be one of the department heads. He worked for that IT firm for two weeks – two weeks of hell for him. A man can only take so much of the sight of Bom in those tight fitting pencil skirts and high heels.

So he did what any guy would do with the increasing ual frustration – he chose to drown his sorrows. With Jiyong. That was an idiotic move, though. Getting drunk with Jiyong. That guy has been to France recently – and in true Jiyong fashion he bought home a dubious looking drink which has been banned and illegal in some countries.

Great, now he’s incapable of making alright decisions because of Bom.

Seung Hyun downed another shot of the Absinthe, the room spinning madly before him. He took a glance at the wall clock – it was close to 3AM and he honestly felt like puking – he felt like a dragon, breathing fire and sh.it.

Wait, the wall clock is melting! Or is it? He didn’t know. He shut his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. He needed to go home, before he passed out in Jiyong’s living room. Just then, his phone vibrated.

With bleary eyes, he looked at the text. It was from Bom.

Where are you?

In your heart, he thought in his drunken haze. He smiled; the absinthe was clearly getting to his brain. But not enough probably, because his mind is filled with thoughts of her.

He patted Jiyong in the back and said his goodbyes, and stumbled his way out of the stuffy house, his lungs breathing in the crisp Seoul air. He clumsily plopped himself on the sidewalk, and fished out his phone again. He was swaying from side to side, clutching his phone tightly as if it was his lifeline, the words melting in his vision once again.

She’s still awake. Seung Hyun mumbled to himself, and the urge to see Bom – the teasing angel who tormented him day and night – came just then. Without a moment’s hesitation he stood up, swaying precariously, his drunken mind intent on seeing her one last time before he tried to forget about her.

He tried to hail a taxi, but none would take him because he was saying Bom’s address in a garbled manner.

“Ah, f.uck it, I’ll walk!” He declared happily, stumbling down the block. Jiyong’s house wasn’t that far from Bom’s, and so he made the uphill trek.

He tried to concentrate on his every step, but the pavement is colored green, with Bom’s face taunting him. Bom, in middle school, looking so pretty even in her ponytail when he went to their soccer match in high school. Bom, so very beautiful in her Egyptian inspired gown during prom, and how he ditched his date to dance with her. Bom, in the office with her hair twisted up, glasses perched on her nose, strands of hair falling ily. Ugh!

It took him a good thirty minutes when he got in front of Bom’s house. He knocked a few times, and took out his phone again. He punched in Bom’s number, and leaned on one of the posts, smoothing his messy hair back with one hand.

“Hello?” Bom’s voice came on the phone, and he smiled despite himself.

“I’m outside.” He hoped he didn’t sound too drunk.

“I can see you, you know.” There was amusement in her voice, even though he imagined she’d be pissed off with him because he called her at such an ungodly hour. But hey, she texted him first.

“Good, can I come in?”

“I could open the door for you, but you’re in front of the wrong house.” She chuckled, clearly finding his misfortune so funny.

Seung Hyun looked up, and true enough, it took him a moment to register that he was in fact in front of the house opposite Bom’s. He cursed loudly. Just then, a door opened, and he heard quick footsteps approach him.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder and he turned his back slowly, and was greeted with the Angel herself, Park Bom , clad in pajamas, as she coaxed his phone from his hands.

“You’re so drunk.” She crossed her arms across her chest and raised one perfect eyebrow.

“I’m sorry. Didn’t mean to, but you were teasing me so much that I wanted to die.” He slurred his words a bit, and Bom wrapped his arms around his midsection.

“So it’s my fault now, huh? Come on, let’s get you inside.” She proceeded to drag him inside her house, but he stopped her.

“I’m sorry, I don’t really drink this much. It’s because of you, and –“She cut him off with her lips, effectively shutting him up, not caring if he’s drunk and disgusting and smelling of Absinthe.

“You can stay the night until you get sober. Until then, your declarations of love can wait until later.” She smiled and he eagerly let himself be dragged away.

&END
Another A/N: Absinthe is banned from a lot of countries because it's apparently a psychoactive drug, and I know it can cause hallucinations, but I haven't really had one and the effects Seung Hyun was experiencing aren't really spot on, I just kinda imagined it (with Alex Turner in mind in the Music Video) and from Anthony Bourdain's descriptions when he went to France and drank Absinthe. So yeah, hope you enjoyed this little one shot