Ray of sunshine

The sky is different today

Night sky was colored with elegant black, decorated with silver stars, when two young men entered a small flat.

Despite the size it was cozy: One bigger room with light brown, a bit worn out, sofa with small TV on the coffee table in front of it, and white kitchen next to opposite wall. There were two doors on the right that probably led to bedroom and bathroom.

“I don’t live in luxury as you see, but I hope you can deal with that” – Baekhyun smiled. Chanyeol saw reassuring and slight confidence in that smile, as if the guy was telling him it was going to be alright.

Chanyeol slightly nodded. The shorter male didn’t notice that – he was fast to take off his shoes and sprint to kitchen and clean the mess he had left before heading to work.

There were some photos and small paintings above the sofa. Some with people in it, some just of nature or city.

There was a painting of tops of trees looking from below. Colors were bright, but pastel. It felt so fresh as if you were lying on the forest ground, breathing clean air which also cleaned your mind.

“Why are you still standing there and staring at the wall? Come, sit on the sofa. Do you want something to eat or drink?” – Baekhyun’s silvery voice interrupted silence and made taller guy look in his direction.

“Maybe water.”

There was a glass of water in his hands in a matter of seconds and a hand on his back leading him to sofa. After that the host of the flat went back to kitchen.

It was interesting and peaceful to watch a young male wash leftover dishes, while he was whistling something melodious under his nose.

After cleaning all the plates and cups, Baekhyun turned back to the taller one, sitting still on the sofa the whole time, and leaned a bit on kitchen counter.

“I have only one bed, so you will get to sleep on the sofa” – he got a nod in response. – “Good, I’ll get you a blanket then.”

The guy was about to go when it looked like he remembered something and stopped, turning back again to Chanyeol.

“Also, my work shift is usually during evening, night hours, so I sleep till like 1PM. If you wake up earlier, there is some food in the fridge – you can eat that. Hmm… what else… Oh, and I don’t have spare key so if you will want to go out wake me up or just tell me. We will think about another key later.”

Baekhyun looked like he was intensively thinking about small necessities he should mention, while the other one observed how he was picking his dry lips with his nails.

“That’s it probably. For now. You can go take a shower, there is blue-ish towel hanging there and spare toothbrush in the lower cabinet, you can use those. I’ll get you a blanket with pillow during that time.” – with those words smaller male was out to the bedroom.

In the mirror on the bathroom cabinet, there was a guy looking into his reflection. Beard was a bit showing up on his face, quite longer than he remembered them. Eyes full with tiredness and as a proof of it – dark tanks under them.

During especially hot days, shower was a true life saver – as if it’s freshness made you feel reborn as a new person. It was like those times.

Chanyeol found a razor in the lower cabinet and took it with hope that Baekhyun won’t mind if he uses it.

After cleaning himself from head to toe, the taller male exited bathroom. Seeing no signs of other guy in sight he went to sofa, where everything was already set up for sleep.

Sitting down on it, he started counting money again and look up again at the remain working places he planned to go to. In the background there were sounds of walking, closing an opening doors, running shower.

The young man laid down, covering himself with a given blanket and stared at the view behind the window slightly above and next to him. It was almost five in the morning, sky was getting light, far away behind tall buildings, there was golden light trying to break through the darkness.

There was sound of opening doors and fresh-clean Baekhyun came out looking straight to Chanyeol.

For a few seconds they just stared at each other, while Baekhyun dried his hair with a towel. When it was almost dry he took it back to bathroom closed the door and said:

“Good night, Chanyeol.”

“Good night.” – Baekhyun smiled with a tired smile and was ready to go, but Chanyeol stopped him.

“Baekhyun?”

“Yeah?” – the male was quite puzzled for sudden call of his name.

“Thank you”. – and Baekhyun smiled with a smile, that managed to be warmer than morning light getting into the room.

~~~

Sky wasn’t as clear as it was during the night. Grey clouds were hiding true color of the sky.

It was eleven in the morning when Chanyeol woke up.

After taking short time bathroom, he was looking at the fridge. There wasn’t much, so he only took two eggs.

Trying not to wake his, from now on, roommate, he cooked his egg with least noise he could make.

Holding plate in one hand and fork in the other, the young man stood near the window, looking down at a street, full with daily morning action.

A small car incident on the corner of crossroad, a crowd of people waiting for bus to arrive, hoping they all going to fit in there, some kids running to convenience store, a man in suit trying to catch a taxi, two moms having a chat while pushing baby pushchair down the sidewalk.

Soon Chanyeol blended into street’s rhythm, after cleaning plate, tidying sofa, dressing up and waking Baekhyun so he could lock the door after him, who also went to sleep right after locking the door.

~~~

In the evening the tall guy took a visit to an already familiar convenience store.

He took same noodles as always to cashier but it wasn’t a person he’s familiar with.

~~~

Behind the door, the sound of TV could be already heard. After a knock, sound of door being unlocking was heard too.

“Oh hey, you’re back!” – Chanyeol was greeted with amused voice.

“Hi.” – he entered the flat, in which sun was laying it’s rays of sunshine through clouds on sofa,  to which Baekhyun went back to watch some sort of variety show.

“How did the job hunting go?”

“Could’ve been better.”

The taller one went to kitchen and was about to cook the noodles he bought before.

“Are you eating those cheap noodles again?” – his voice sounded unamused, making Chanyeol turn to him with raised eyebrow. “You should eat something more, or, I know I’m repeating myself but, you will collapse once again.”

“How do you know I collapsed and wasn’t just asleep?” – his roommate got taken aback for a second, but got a grim straight after that.

“I’ve seen people sleeping and saw twice when person collapsed. That happens in convenience stores you know, I had to call ambulance! I was so scared then!” – it was obvious the young male was getting of topic and wanted to tell every detail of such groundbreaking event.

“Then why didn’t you call it for me?” – that got the shorter guy completely dumbfounded. He tried to mumble something but got lost in his own words.

Chanyeol chuckled.

Sudden smile from the taller male took Baekhyun’s attention since he was seeing it for first time. It also made him quickly get himself together.

“Well you passed out in position as if sleeping; also you didn’t fall on the floor – so no harm to your head was done – no need for ambulance.” – the young man on the sofa quickly spilled explanation.

Chanyeol snorted and with corners of lips slightly smiling, he listened to further Baekhyun’s talk.

“Anyways, there are some noodles with pieces of chicken in the pot, I left some for you.” – when taller one checked the pot finding decent meal in there, roommate continued: “and instead of buying cheap noodles use that little amount to buy something that could be included in the meal.”

“Alright” – Chanyeol answered sitting down next to the shorter guy and trying to get interest at what was shown in the variety program. Later it appeared to be a funny and interesting one. – “You were not at work today.”

“Did you go to check? Am I having a stalker or you just missed me?” – The young guy was showing off his cheekiness and Chanyeol just half-rolled his eyes to that. Baekhyun laughed and turned his attention back to TV in front them. “I don’t have shift today, I don’t work whole week, but sometimes I work full shift.”

There was question hanging in taller one’s head, but he decided to let it go and enjoy the show, not worrying anymore about finding place to stay to.

Maybe because it was a real meal in a long while, but the simple dish Baekhyun made, was the most delicious thing the other young male has eaten.

Sun broke through clouds completely and illuminated room with hot iron yellow light. It was a warm evening.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Hello Dear Readers,

It's me, the author. I didn't write anything in the first chapter since I didn't expect my first fic to get any attention. So lots of thank you to all those who took time to read this!!! ^^

I'm not sure how many chapters this story will be, or how often I will update this - I'm writing everything when inspiration comes.

Also I really want to know what do all of you think about the characters and if you have any other ideas about this? :3 

Thank you again, have a good moorning/day/evening/night!

(P.s. I'll be away for few days (since 05.29) with no connection so no update for a while. Sorry ;-;)