Sequel

A Place On Earth With You

“We have a problem… That problem”, Nayeon’s voice came through the phone. They had talked about this issue, and it was unavoidable. She kept stirring the food as the device was being held tight between her cheek and shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this”, she said, confidently. It was no lie.

 

“I’m driving, we talk once I get home”, Nayeon hung up. Jeongyeon finished cooking the mac n’ cheese, their favorite dish. She wasn't good at cooking by any means, but, she put an effort into following the recipe thoroughly.

 

It didn’t take much but an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians for her to hear an engine approaching, then turning off. They were home. She adjusted the laptop over her, looking into the files. The door opened, the kid walked towards her for a hug.

 

“Hi, mom”, he said, unamused due to the troubled day.

 

“Hey, kid. Your shoes”, Nayeon said, still by the door, taking her owns off. He quickly obeyed. Jeongyeon relishes in the way she talks to their son: never aggressive, always friendly.

 

Soon enough, they were all sitting on the couch.

 

Minjoon was a good kid, they raised him like this. He would never do something wrong, plus, he’s 12 and mature enough to know what is right.

 

“So, I heard from a little bird you kicked some asses”, Jeongyeon started, combing his hair. He chuckled.

 

“They teased me. After class, they kept saying things about us and I went off.”

 

“Did you actually hurt them?”

 

“No, but they got scared.”

 

“That's my boy”, she said, proudly. Nayeon hit her arm.

 

“But seriously, how was it?”

 

“The teacher didn't say a word about it, but there were students whispering all the  time when I showed the picture, when we left the classroom, they asked me who was my father and which one of you is the man, and if I’m gay.”, he looked at the living room’s floor, clearly beaten up.

 

“Hey, we knew this would happen. We told you didn't we?”, unfortunately, not everyone is educated to know that same- couples are okay, and that was the reason why they got kicked out of their parent's house. The second the boy mentioned he had to make a presentation about his family, Nayeon and Jeongyeon knew it would be problematic.

 

“I’m sorry”, Jeongyeon, hearing his unnecessary apologies, kissed the top of his head.

“There's no reason to be sorry. They should be apologizing. Plus, if you happen to be gay, it's not their business, nor something to be ashamed of. Be yourself regardless of others.”

 

“Did you get embarrassed? Honestly”, Nayeon asked. The kid nodded. She sighed, pulling his son closer.

 

“Listen, Minjoon: There is no rule to tell how a family should be. We are not a traditional family, but that doesn't make us odd in a bad way”, Jeongyeon reassured

 

“Up for story time?”, the older woman prompted.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Well, about 16 years ago, I met your mom. Just as today, or even worse than today, couples like us were seen as wrong, as a sin, and still, we started dating without our parents knowing.Then we came out to them, but that didn't go well. In a nutshell, my parents kicked me out after having punched me. Jeongyeon's parents also didn't accept our relationship. We had to find a way to build our life by ourselves. We found a job, lived in an apartment that barely could fit one of us, we did starve for a while…”, she stopped to breathe and grabbed one Jeongyeon’s hands, holding it tightly before letting it go, she was typing an email, but obviously listening to everything.

 

“Did you tell anyone else?”, Minjoon curiously asked.

 

“We were afraid of doing so. In public we acted like friends, I do regret acting like this, though.”, Jeongyeon said without taking her eyes off her laptop screen.

 

“It was necessary, Jeongyeon.”

 

“But how did you find me?”

 

“Oh, yes, there was this day I was walking to work and I heard strange noises coming from a box. I won't deny I thought of walking straight past it, but hearing the familiar sound of a baby made me rush towards it. Someone had abandoned you. I held you in my arms and ran to the hospital. Your mom almost choked when I told her about you. Soon enough, we were attached. They wanted to keep you in an orphanage, but we didn't have the guts to let them take you away. Even if we didn't have money to eat, we decided to stay with you”, Minjoon was listening carefully, looking into her eyes. Jeongyeon was listening, and proceeded:

 

“Also, some people were touched by our situation and got us better jobs, which helped us a lot. We worked hard to provide you a good life. We've been through a lot, Minjoon. Please, don't ever be ashamed of having us.

 

“Blood makes you a relative, but loyalty is what makes you family”, the boy nodded.

 

“I’m happy with you. I’m happy with having two mothers. I just wish things were different.”

 

“We all do, but the only thing that matters is that we stay together through any storm.”

 

“We love you”, Nayeon said, finally, pulling in for a family hug.

 

“And again, if you feel like they deserve it again, hit them twice as hard.”

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon!”

 

“I'm kidding”, she grinned, followed by a whisper to Minjoon:

 

“I’m not kidding”, followed by a light slap on the back of her head. They all laughed.

 

“Hungry? I made mac n’ cheese.”

 

“Mom? You cooked?”, Minjoon playfully asked.

 

“Don't worry, Minjoon, it's a premade one.”

 

“You guys should stop underestimating me”, Jeongyeon pouted. Minjoon walked to the kitchen in advance, appreciating the unusual good smell of the food his mother had cooked. Most of the times, he and Nayeon agreed to not tell her it was bad so it wouldn’t hurt Jeongyeon. Today, though, was apparently different.

Nayeon by the arm, making her turn around and kissed her.

 

“See? He's as strong as us.”, Jeongyeon cooed.

 

“He’s strong like you. Throughout all that hell, you were the one keeping my mind in place. It's crazy to think now we're finally on the tracks, we have a home and a son. A family, after the ones from our own flesh and blood left us behind. It's everything I could ever ask for.”

 

“We've never been away from home. I wasn't lying when I said my home is any place on Earth with you. Now, with you and Minjoon.”

 

“God, I love you.”

 

“I love you more than you can imagine.”