Before the storm

Je Ne Sais Quoi ("I don't know what.")

Huang Renjun. " the name rolls on Jaemin's tongue weirdly smooth.

 

" What? What about Chenle's bestfriend? " Jeno asks, picking up all the books and papers that were scattered everywhere on the floor of their shared apartment. They had crammed for the first exams last night and it was terrible.

 

The other boy shrugs, " I don't know, I just find the name quite amusing. "

 

To be honest, Jaemin wanted to celebrate because finally, finally, he now knows the older chinese's name. Nobody knew that he and Renjun met before Chenle- a year younger than him, Jeno and Donghyuck- who became friends with them because of Jisung, had introduced the other chinese boy to them this morning; that's their little secret.

 

 

 

They first met at a small convenience store near the apartment complex where he and Jeno, one of his close friends, currently lives. Renjun couldn't sleep that night even though he was really tired from the journey of travelling from his home country to this foreign one. He decided to take a walk rather than bothering his already sleeping bestfriend. Jaemin on the other hand, has his stomach growling and begging for food at 2 am and he couldn't just ignore it, so he decided to have some noodles.

 

The store doesn't have any other customer except the two of them that night. Jaemin was about to eat his noodles when a small tap on his shoulder startles his soul almost out of his body. 

 

" Can I sit here with you? Don't worry, I won't bother you. " the boy is smaller than him, and his voice is soft like cotton.

 

" S-sure. " he replied, mentally slapping himself for stuttering.

 

The boy plugged his earphones in his ears and he starts munching some potato chips while scrolling through his phone. Jaemin wasn't paying attention to the food his stomach badly needs anymore, the small boy sitting across him seemed more interesting. He had not realized he's been staring at the other boy for too long, so when the boy decided to look up from his phone, his eyes met Jaemin's. Jaemin felt weak all of a sudden. The boy smiled a little, making his stomach clench at the cuteness.

 

He usually doesn't get affected over things like this since tons of people at his school does almost anything to get his attention. This boy in front of him didn't even do anything big yet, but guess what, he's already hooked.

 

"Do I have something on my face? Or is there something that you want to say? " the boy asked, removing his earphones and settling his phone on the table.

 

The taller's cheeks heated up in an instant. He shakes his head and stares down at his noodles. Damn, I forgot I was hungry.

 

He clears his throat and looked at boy as he tries to compose himself, " Sorry for uh, staring. It's just that you look like you're not from here. "

 

" I'm from China. "

 

" Ohh, just like Chenle. " , I'm not supposed to say that out loud-

 

The boy's face lit up, " You know my bestfriend?! "

 

Jaemin raises an eyebrow, " Wait, you're best friends with Zhong Chenle? "

 

" Yeah! Since we're in elementary. "

 

" How come your Korean is so good while he still struggles to understand and speak the language? "

 

The Chinese male smiles, " Well, my family's ethnicity is actually Korean, and I've been sort of speaking it since I was in fourth grade. "

 

Jaemin smiles back, " I haven't met any foreigners who could speak korean really well. You are amazing! "

 

The boy chuckles softly, " Oh, don't flatter me too much. "

 

" Excuse me for asking but, what are you doing at a convenience store at this kind of hour? "

 

" Eating? " the boy then points at the chips in front him, " Kidding, I couldn't sleep. I honestly thought I'd be dead as soon as I get to Chenle's apartment considering I hadn't slept properly last night or even took a nap during the flight. "

 

Jaemin's eyes widens, " You just came here today? Like today?? " his voice went higher than usual, it even cracked a little.

 

The smaller nodded, " Uh-huh, about 4 hours ago. I couldn't believe it either. I'm going to live in a different country now, it makes me a bit nervous. "

 

" Well, South Korea is great, especially because I'm here. " Jaemin grins widely and winked at him.

 

The other boy gives him an unamused look, " I suddenly want to go back to China. "

 

" Hey! You're lucky enough to even meet me. "

 

The boy reached for his phone and pretends to type, " Gotta tell my parents there's a weird kid here. I hope they could get me back as soon as possible. "

 

Jaemin pouts, " That's not a valid reason for them to take you back. "

 

The smaller shrugs, " Seems enough reason for me though. "

 

"I can't believe I'm talking to a foreigner who speak korean very well at 2:55 in the morning. "

 

" I can't believe you're eating noodles at 2:55 in the morning. "

 

" Don't judge my stomach! "

 

The boy tilts his head a little and god, Jaemin finds that c u t e,  " Are you even eating that though? I think it's gotten cold because you're just staring at it. "

 

" I like to eat it cold instead of burning my tongue. " he reasons. It's because you distracted me.

 

" Wait, don't you have classes later? I think it's already monday. "

 

" I can sleep during history and chem class, so it's not much of a big deal to lose some hours of sleep. What about you? Are you going to school later? "

 

"Some of my transferee papers are still not fixed yet. I'm enrolling at Chenle's school and I'm quite excited to go to the same school with my bestfriend again. "

 

" Look who's in so much luck! ", Jaemin sneers, " You're about to go to the same school with the most awesome person you just met! "

 

" Oh god. I'm doomed. "

 

The taller purses his lips, " Too bad we're not in the same year level. I would love to be your classmate. "

 

The boy gives him a confused look, " Not in the same year level? So, I suppose you're a senior? "

 

" Nope, I'm a junior. You're a sophomore like Chenle, right? "

 

" Oh my god! " the boy huffs and points a finger at him, " I can't believe you actually thought I'm still a kid! I feel insulted. "

 

Jaemin chokes a laugh, " Hold up, y-you're a junior? "

 

" What do you think? " the boy raises a brow at him, disbelief painted all over his pretty face.

 

Jaemin bursts into laughing, " In all honesty, you look like you just graduated from elementary. "

 

The boy glowers at him, " Fun fact, I punch people I don't know, especially if they really deserve it. "

 

" I'm sorry, " he laughs again, " it's just so funny. "

 

" You know what, you should head back to where you came from and sleep. Your braincells must be dying. "

 

This time, they both laughed. The Chinese male told him that they should finish up their food before before leaving. Random topics started popping out of nowhere as they eat, small giggles echoing through the whole place, the sleepy clerk shaking her head at them for disturbing her nap. They headed out of the convenience store together, hands tucked in their own hoodies as the cold wind of the early morning blows. 

 

The smaller boy looks at him and smiled for the nth time, " Well, it was fun talking to you, and now I'm actually feeling a bit sleepy. "

 

Jaemin smiled back, for the nth time too, " Yeah. I guess I'll see at school then? "

 

The boy frowns, " Unfortunately. "

 

" Hey! "

 

They both giggled.

 

" Goodmornight? "

 

" Goodmornight. "

 

They both waved their hands goodbye to each other, but as soon as they realized they were walking the same path, they both gave it each other a questioning look. They stayed quiet while walking, waiting for one of them to change direction, but neither of them did. When they stopped in front of a slightly tall building adorned with small lights at the entrance, they turned to look at each other.

 

Jaemin was the first to ask, " Don't tell me you live in the same apartment complex as I am? "

 

" Don't tell me you didn't know Chenle lives in the same apartment complex as you do? " the Chinese boy asks back.

 

Jaemin's eyes grew big at that and gave the smaller a pleading look, " Please don't tell him that! He'll scream at me! "

 

The boy shakes his head, " You're unbelievable. "

 

They entered the building and rode the elevator together, both with a warm smile plastered on their face.

 

" Well, this is our floor. " the elevator stops at the 4th floor and the boy steps out, " Don't tell Chenle that I already met one of his friends, okay? Goodnight. " he waves his hand at him for the last time.

 

" Sure thing! Goodnight. "

 

When the door closes, Jaemin felt the urge to hit his own head when he realized that he didn't ask for the boy's name nor did he gave his.

 

 

The day after their meeting at the convenience store, they met again. This time, it was at the rooftop of their apartment building. Jaemin usually hangs out there, whenever he feels like wanted to be alone.

 

When he opened the door, he immediately spots a certain chinese sitting at the edge of the rails, feet swaying and he looks like he's enjoying the warm air of the afternoon brushing against his skin. Jaemin quietly walks behind him and does the plan he just thought of.

 

" HEY. "

 

The boy almost, almost fell off the rails, if it wasn't for Jaemin's quick instinct of wrapping his arms around the smaller boy's waist (which by the way, fits perfectly). He could feel the other's heart beating loudly and he feels very bad for causing it in wrong way. The boy turned his head around and sighs in relief when he sees a familiar face.

 

" If you're trying to kill me, at least think of something else than throwing me off a building. I hate falling down. "

 

Jaemin smiles apologetically, " I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to startle you so much. "

 

The boy smiled back, " It's okay, I didn't die. "

 

As much as he hates it, Jaemin removes his arms around the Chinese's waist and rests them on the railings instead.

 

" Why are you hanging out here alone? "

 

The way he purses his lips makes the taller stare at him, " Chenle has a basketball practice and I'm bored, so I went here to have some fresh air. "

 

" Oh, right. "

 

There was a moment of silence between them, only the sound of the cars passing by could be heard. Jaemin find this comforting, he closes his eyes and let his mind fall at ease.  

 

" I saw my life flash right in front of my eyes when I almost fell. "

 

The taller's eyes flew open and he snorts at himself, " Ugh, I shouldn't have done that. I feel ten times more guilty now. "

 

The smaller boy chuckles softly, " Hey, I told you it's fine. You didn't let me fall, so i'm all good. "

 

" I still feel very bad... "

 

" Are you scared of falling down? "

 

Jaemin hums, surprisingly not taken aback by the sudden question, " The thought of falling and wondering what's at the bottom waiting for you- it's scary. "

 

" Wow, you uttered my exact thoughts. "

 

" It's because I'm your destiny. " Jaemin winks at him then laughed.

 

The boy rolls his eyes at him, " I shouldn't have said that. "

 

Jaemin looks at the sky and let's out a heavy sigh, " I go here whenever I want to breathe from people."

 

" You also think they're suffocating, huh. "

 

The korean boy nods, " Who doesn't? I mean, I think everyone needs to breathe out and have some alone time sometimes. "

 

" Can I come here when I want to breathe too? "

 

The taller smiles at him, " You don't have to ask me, you know. I don't own this building. I'm quite curious why no one goes here though. It's always been me here. "

 

" Maybe they don't know the rooftop exists? "

 

" Maybe.  "

 

" Well, I think I need to go now. "

 

Jaemin's neck almost snapped at his direction, " Why? "

 

The Chinese boy jumps off the railings and landed on his feet, " Well, you came here. I suppose you needed to breathe, just like what you said about why you come here. "

 

" You don't have to leave, I'm comfortable with you. "

 

" But you need- "

 

" Don't leave, please. "

 

That night, Jaemin came back to their dorm room with a blinding bright smile, until he remembers he forgot to ask the Chinese boy's name, again. He slaps himself this time, for real.

 

 

They met again the next day. Jaemin disappeared from the classroom right after the bell rang, leaving Dongyuck and Jeno schocked and confused.

 

He is practically bouncing on his way to their apartment's rooftop, unable to contain the excitement he was feeling to see the interesting chinese boy that he had promised to hang out with today after school. His smile grew wide when he opened the door leading to the rooftop and found the boy leaning his back against the wall with his phone on his hand.

 

" Did you miss me? " Jaemin whispers as he slides down to sit beside the boy.

 

" Not really. I was quite happy before you came, but now, " he looks at him with a frown sewn on his face, " my peaceful world is disturbed. "

 

Jaemin flicks his forehead, earning a hiss from the smaller boy, " Com'on, I know you're bored to death before I came. "

 

He sighs and smiled in defeat, " Yeah, you're right. "

 

" What shall we do today, hm? "

 

" I don't know, maybe you could tell me stories about yourself. "

 

" HEY! "

 

The chinese male touched his ears and glares at him, " Jesus christ. For someone whose voice is as deep as marianas trench, you're such a screamer. "

 

Jaemin ignores him and continues to speak in high-pitch, " I remembered something very important! "

 

" What? "

 

" We haven't introduced ourselves yet! "

 

The chinese raised a brow at him, " Does it matter? "

 

Jaemin froze, nervousness enveloping his whole body. 'Does it matter?' ? Was it wrong for me to know him and for him to know me? 

 

" Yes? I mean, " he pauses to look at the boy briefly, " we don't know each other's name, it's like we're complete strangers who just happens to have taken a like with hanging out together. "

 

" But it's comfortable, isn't it? "

 

" Huh? "

 

" Even though I don't know your name and you don't know mine, we still had interesting conversations. I think that's okay, for now. "

 

All the things they had talked about last night starts flashing back in Jaemin's mind and he bites back a smile. Yeah, talking about the universe and the unfairness of life with you was very interesting.

 

" I guess you're trying to say, I don't need to know your name and you don't need to know mine, at least until you get officially introduced by your best friend? "

 

The boy gives him a soft smile as a reply. Jaemin wonders where the light that luminated his face, to make it seem like he's glowing, came from.

 

 

They continued to meet every afternoon for a week. Everytime Jaemin's friends asks him to join them after school, he quickly refuses with a smile, saying he already has plans. They began to grow suspicious. Donghyuck was the first one who points it out, but Jeno, being the observant friend he is, was actually the first one who noticed how weird his best friend was acting. It's rare to see Jaemin smiling in the morning, let alone greet back everyone who greets him. It got extra weird when Chenle told them one day during lunch, that his best friend who came from China is now living with him and that he'll introduce him to them once he starts going to their school, and he saw Jaemin smiled to himself; he decided to not point it out.

 

 

Until this very day, the boy showed up in the school as a new student. Chenle told them all to wait for them at the gate so they could enter the school together. It was hard to suppress a smile that's threaning to form on his lips when he saw a familiar small figure beside Chenle as they approach them. The boy offers them a small smile and introduced himself. They introduced themselves as well one by one, the chinese boy shakes their hand, but when it was Jaemin's turn, the boy stares at him a little long then turns to Chenle to whisper (but loud enough for the him and the others to hear), " Why is your friend looking at me weirdly? ". Donghyuck and Jeno bursts into laugher as they both patted Jaemin's shoulders and told him, " Dude, Renjun already thinks you're weird and he hasn't even hanged out with you yet. ". He glared at them and secretly gave the smaller boy a look of disapproval, Renjun only gave him an innocent smile in return.