yanjuns pov

love at first sight

Yanjun dragged his feet across the sizzling concrete floor unwillingly as he fanned himself with a flyer he picked up from the floor. The sun shone down relentlessly on him as he struggled to make it to the end of the pavement in this hot and sultry weather.

He just finished a meeting with his client and since his office is just a few streets away from his client’s company, he decided to just walk and save money from taking a taxi. He cursed under his breath, regretting all the life decisions he have made in his past 22 years of life, including dating his ex-girlfriend. Despite showering her with all the love and care, she still left him, saying that he did not love him as much as she did. 

Yanjun sighed to himself and tossed the thought of his girlfriend to the back of his head. Maybe he was just lonely. Maybe he felt betrayed when she left him. Maybe he still can’t forget her. Before Yanjun knew it, he was already standing infront of a small shophouse. It looked shady and suspicious. And it says “Fortune Telling” on the dusty and worn-out sign barely hanging above the wooden door. Yanjun was about to turn away when he caught a glimpse of the small paper pasted on the door. “We can tell anything! From your career, education fortunes to your love and romance fortune. For just $10! ;)” was written uglily on the almost torn paper. Love... and romance. Maybe he CAN forget her. 

Yanjun walked into the small shop and breathed a sigh of relief when the cool aircon air brushes against his face. He saw a huge table, covered by a beautifully designed purple table cloth and several equipments on it. And behind that table, there was a human- a creature- a being sitting behind it. Yanjun couldn’t tell what it was. It was covered in black cloth, he couldn’t see its figure and a thick black veil was draped over its face, covering its facial features. The dim lighting made it even harder for Yanjun to perceive the being before him. 

“Welcome to my fortune telling. What would you like to know about yourself?” A monotonous and robotic voice came out of that being and Yanjun realised it was using a voice changer to cover its identity. “I would like to know about my... love fortune.” Yanjun grabbed his blouse nervously, hoping that it would all turn out well. 

“According to my crystal ball, you just got dumped by your girlfriend.” A pair of hands appeared out of the black cloth and the crystal ball dramatically. Its a human, Yanjun made a mental note to himself. “Yes, that is right.” The spooky atmosphere made Yanjun very unsettled and he was getting more and more anxious with every second that passed. Maybe he can find a new love of his life, and maybe he will have to walk away with disappointment, not able to forget about his ex-girlfriend. 

“On Saturday night.” Yanjun jolted with surprise when the monotonous voice rang out again. “Your love luck have not ran out yet. This might be your final chance to find a new companion.” Yanjun widened his eyes in surprise and stood up and bent forward, leaning closer to the fortune teller. “Will you tell me more details?” He was filled with excitement and hope. He will not let this chance slip away. 

“Infront of a large white building next to an overhead bridge, a few streets away from here. They might be wearing a pair of jeans and a blueish sweatshirt.” Yanjun detected the nervousness in the fortune teller’s tone, but dismissed it thinking it was due to him being nervous himself. Nevertheless, he was extremely grateful towards the fortune teller. He placed the $10 note on the table, said “Thank you” and ran out of the shop excitedly. 

Maybe he can forget about his ex-girlfriend. Maybe he finally made a correct decision for once in his pass 22 years of life. Maybe, he can fall in love again.