I'm perfect for you

Best Friend Blues

A/N: Since I’m writing more joyri these days. This is about them mostly. Seulrene are a side pair, and the main focus is on joyri where Joy loves Yeri but she has this crush on Seulgi but she’s dating Irene. Please enjoy

 

It was in their first year of college when Park Sooyoung knew that without a doubt she loved her long time best friend Kim Yerim. The two have been an inseparable pair ever since they were in elementary school. They bonded fast over their love for chicken, music tastes, and playing pranks on people. There had been no one Sooyoung enjoys spending time more than Yeri. She has other friends. But none can compare to Yeri and their bond. She was perfectly suited to her in many ways. They shared much of the same interests, and neither girl hesitated to make jokes about people. Those jokes not off limits to one another. It was all in good fun anyway. Sooyoung really enjoyed having someone to keep her own her toes. It’s no fun if someone can’t challenge you mentally.

 

However, somewhere along the way. Yeri went from being her cute, adorable, but savage best friend. To a pretty, beautiful, woman she really wanted to date. She knew for sure she wanted to be more than friends just before they graduated high school. She just didn’t realize how in love with her she was until that first year of college. When everything seemed to be centered around Yeri. Sooyoung set her schedule up to share as many of the same classes. She wished to work the same dead end job with her too. Because at least it wouldn’t be boring working together. On top of all that. Sooyoung realized she just wanted to see Yeri smile.

 

Part of being best friends for long. It gives the advantage of knowing the person very well. Sometimes there are no words necessary and you can just tell there’s something going on with them. At the same it’s also a disadvantage because you can sometimes learn hurtful information. The taller dark-haired girl knew her blonde friend had a crush on their senior. Popular dance-student, Kang Seulgi before Yeri even admitted it.

 

Everyone knows who Kang Seulgi is. Not only is the girl exceptionally gorgeous. She was also one of the most multi-talented students at their university. She could sing, dance, and draw. Sooyoung was sure at this point there’s nothing she can’t do. Also, Seulgi was truly kind. She was very kind. She’d offer you her umbrella in the rain. She would share her food with you if you didn’t have. The type of rare, selfless sort of kind, a real angel most would say. It would have been so much easier if their senior was pretty but mean. Seulgi was pretty and kind. That made it quite impossible to hate her. Sooyoung knows as she has tried to find something to hate about the older girl. Unfortunately, she found nothing.

 

“Seulgi-sunbae is so nice, Soo. She really also like this dork in a way. But she’s cute at the same time.”

 

The taller girl rolls her eyes as again Yeri is on this Seulgi worship. The clues weren’t obvious at first. But the more she paid attention to how Yeri’s eyes would light up whenever she saw Seulgi, or how she spoke about her a bit too enthusiastically. Sooyoung knew for certain her best friend became victim to the Kang Seulgi crush. Symptoms include gushing, gawking, fangirling, but not limited to those signs. A lot of people at school liked her. What’s not to like when there’s a nice, pretty senior. Who doesn’t hesitate to help in anyway she can.

 

“Yerimie, do you like Seulgi-sunbae?”

 

“What?” The blonde looks up at her. “Why would you think that?”

 

Sooyoung gives her a deadpan look then takes a sip of her iced tea. Yeri can’t keep her stern face for long, so she doesn’t.

 

“Is it that obvious?”

 

“Yes, obviously,” Sooyoung again rolls her eyes.

 

“I was trying to not be obvious. She’s our sunbae, and I don’t think she notices me that way.”

 

Sooyoung wants to say hen that Seulgi doesn’t seem to notice any of the girls who have huge, embarrassing crushes on her. There is a reason why that is. But the taller girl stays quiet.

 

“What should I do? Should I just confess and get it over with?”

 

“No!” Sooyoung wants to shout. She holds her tongue again. What can she say when Yeri is now talking about possible ways she can confess.

 

“What do you think? I could write her a song?”

 

Sooyoung has seen first hand how good of a lyricist Yeri has become. She doesn’t doubt that her best friend could write a good song. She just wishes she could write that song for her instead.

 

“Well, you’ve come a long way from that stupid pimple song you wrote.”

 

The blonde laughs out loud, and her laugh makes Sooyoung smile too. She would do just about anything to keep that smile on her face.

 

“That was an award winning song, Soo.”

 

“Oh, yeah, right.”

 

“Anyway, if you’re not going to help me. I’ll think of a way myself. I need to go. Let’s meet over the weekend.”

 

“Pizza and movies. Like usual?”

 

“Yes, pizza and movies. I’ll see you okay, Soo?” She hugs the dark-haired girl and leaves the restaurant. Sooyoung sighs. How can she tell her that her crush already has a girlfriend?

 

“She’s already with someone, Yerimie.”

 

Sooyoung remembers exactly how she discovered Kang Seulgi wasn’t as unattached as it would seem. Her girlfriend was also a popular, pretty senior who majored in business. It will hurt Yeri badly to know Kang Seulgi is dating Bae Joohyun. They aren’t actually very obvious at all. From the first glance no one would suspect the two were anything more than acquaintances. Sooyoung knows what she saw, and there was no just friends explanation for it.

 

(Flashback)

 

There are times when Sooyoung likes to sleep underneath some of the trees of the outdoor areas. She picks her favorite tall, shady tree and leans against her bookbag. She barely has her eyes closed when she can hear footsteps. There’s Seulgi dressed in a black shirt and dark jeans. She’s making her way over to where Joohyun is waiting. The darker haired girl is wearing identical clothes to the taller girl now that Sooyoung notices. She’s also not really paying attention to what’s going on, so when Seulgi wraps her arms around her from behind. She screams and pushes her when she realizes it’s just her.

 

“Hi, Hyunnie,” Seulgi grins.

 

“Yah, Seul! What are you even doing?”

 

“I was just saying hi. How was your day?” She hugs her again. But this time more gently. More lovingly.

 

“Hyunnie, Seul?” Sooyoung mouths.

 

Then she watches as Joohyun pulls Seulgi to her for a kiss. It’s surprising because as she could tell they didn’t seem like a couple at first. She wonders briefly why they are hiding it. They’re some of the most popular students in school. People will probably be happy to know they’re together.

 

“Babe,” Joohyun whispers softly. “We’re going to be late for dinner with my parents. Let’s go,” she takes the brunettes hand, and they walk away. Sooyoung can only think about how Yeri would be hurt if she knew.

 

(End)

 

After she saw that. The dark-haired girl paid more attention to Seulgi and Joohyun. At first look it’s not obvious. You just have to look further to see the subtle but intense looks. The fact that on numerous times they’re dressed alike with similar matching items. Then there are times where she’ll see them heading off campus together towards Seulgi’s car. Maybe it’s not actually a secret. But rather something people know, yet don’t need to talk about. Her biggest concern in Yeri. How does she keep her best friend from getting hurt? She will have to figure it out soon before it becomes more of an issue

 

She might be a bit too late. It’s weeks later as Yeri spends time at the dance club with the monolid brunette. Seulgi is easily one of the best dancers. But the older girl is not superior about it. She likes to help people out as much as she can. Yeri is only taking dance class as an elective. However, dancing with Seulgi is fun, challenging, and inspiring. All the other students thinks she’s amazing too. Right now they’re the only two in the dance practice room. Seulgi hands her a bottle of water.

 

“Thank you, sunbae.” She hopes that she’s not blushing too hard.

 

“Just, Seulgi, okay Yeri.” The brunette smiles kindly with eyes forming crescents. The smile catches the younger girl off guard. Seulgi has the kind of smile that lights up her face. It’s so infectious that it makes Yeri want to smile too.

 

“You’re amazing, sunbae. Have you always wanted to be a professional dancer?”

 

Seulgi takes a moment to drink her water. “I wanted to be an idol when I was younger. But it didn’t work out. Now, I hope to be a choreographer, or maybe even just dance professionally in some capacity. If not there’s always another direction I can go with my art.”

 

“You can sing really well too, Seulgi-unnie. I heard you before.”

 

“Ah, thanks. Yeah, Hyunnie always likes it whenever I sing to her.”

 

“Hyunnie?”

 

“Oh, Joohyun. Bae Joohyun, maybe you know her?”

 

Yeri knows of her. She’s the campus goddess with her unreal looks. Yeri isn’t surprised Seulgi knows her. They're both pretty popular students.

 

“How do you know her, sunbae?”

 

Before she can answer. Seulgi has to step out to answer her phone. Yeri is just so excited to be able to spend some one on one time with her crush. She wonders if she can confess to her now. Seulgi returns though, but she’s not alone. Speaking of Bae Joohyun. There is the gorgeous senior. Yeri had never seen her so close before. She really is as pretty as everyone says. Seulgi does introduce them, and it never dawns of Yeri to ask if they’re together. She does excuse herself, so she can meet with Sooyoung. It’s good she leaves when she does. Otherwise, she'd have seen the couple kiss right there.


 

For Sooyoung it just becomes harder to stand by and watch. Yeri keeps going on about Seulgi. How nice she is. How she stopped her from falling the other day. That they even shared lunch together before. Sooyoung is honestly sick of hearing about this crush.

 

“Yeri, maybe you need to let this go.”

 

“Why? I think I should at least confess to her.”

 

Out of the corner of her eye. She sees Seulgi and Joohyun walking together. To the dark-haired girl they seem to be a bit more obvious these days. Sometimes, Seulgi will walk Joohyun to class, and can be seen carrying her books. Joohyun will also wear her sweaters or jackets. If that doesn’t scream couple then nothing does. Still, Sooyoung can’t bring herself to say they’re together. She doesn’t know what to do.

 

“Yeri…” she stops.

 

“Soo, you’re my best friend. I thought you’d be happy that I like someone.”

 

“I want you to like me,” Sooyoung thinks to herself. The last thing she can tell Yeri is this. Her friend likes someone else.

 

“Soo?” Yeri whispers.

 

“Nothing, never mind. I need to go or I’ll be late for class. I’ll talk to you later.”

 

Yeri is confused and doesn’t understand why Sooyoung seems to be so upset these days. She realizes they’ve been spending less time together. Maybe what they need is another fun weekend binge watching movies and eating junk food. That’s why she shows up at her best friend’s place that Saturday with an arm full of junk food. Sooyoung looks surprised to see her.

 

“Yeri, what are you doing here?”

 

“For our usual weekend binge and movies. Are you busy?”

 

“No, come in.”

 

The taller girl tries to enjoy their usual weekend get together. Her mind is elsewhere. It’s obvious to Yeri too that her best friend isn’t here.

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing. I just have stuff on my mind.”

 

“I can tell. Do you want to talk about it?”

 

“I can’t now. Maybe later.”

 

Yeri gives her a concerned look. She does what for Sooyoung to talk to her. They never usually have a problem talking. Something tells her that she really doesn't want to talk now, and she also doesn’t want to push. She touches her hand instead.

 

“Just know you can talk to me when you need okay?”

 

“I know, Yerimie. Thanks.”

 

Unfortunately, Sooyoung isn’t the only one who notices that Yeri has a crush on the senior. Bae Joohyun is a quiet, yet very observant young woman who can see it too. She notices how the younger girl seems to light up whenever she’s talking to Seulgi. She’s seen how she sort of follows her around too like a younger school girl with a crush. Joohyun thinks it’s something Seulgi should deal with, sooner rather than later. She doesn’t want for anyone’s feelings to be hurt. But it’s still a situation that needs to be dealt with.

 

Joohyun brings it up to her girlfriend when they’re laying in bed at Seulgi’s place. They’ve been together as a couple for nearly 4 years with plans to marry once they complete school and become more stable. She turns to her girlfriend and gives her hand a squeeze.

 

“Seul, can I talk to you?”

 

“Yes, what’s wrong? Are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine, baby. It’s not about me. You remember the girl you told me about. The one you’re mentoring in a way?”

 

“Oh, Yeri. She’s a good kid. Pretty good dancer too.”

 

“Yes, I think it’s great you’ve been helping her out. I love that you’re always trying to help anyone you can. But I really think you should know she has a crush on you.”

 

Seulgi absorbs that information for a few moments. That’s about the last thing she thought her girlfriend would say to her.

 

“No, I don’t think so.”

 

“Babe. I’m telling you she has a crush on you. I can see it whenever she’s around you.”

 

The monolid woman doesn’t know what to say. She can’t imagine such a thing. She’s only seen Yeri as a nice younger girl. At the same time she does trust her girlfriend. They’ve known each other a long time outside of their relationship. She wouldn’t just say this if she weren’t certain.

 

“What should I do, Hyunnie? I don’t want to hurt her feelings. But I don’t want her going on hoping there could be something, you know?”

 

“I know, Seul. We’ll figure it out, okay.”

 

Seulgi nods, as she tries to think of some way she can let Yeri down gently. While she does that, Sooyoung does her best to avoid Yeri. She cuts their meetings short, or acts as if she’s forgotten entirely. She even has switched her shift at their job. The blonde doesn’t like this change. She finally confronts Sooyoung when she is trying to walk in the opposite direction.

 

“Park Sooyoung!” She shouts so loudly that the dark-haired girl jumps. She can’t very well just run off now. Yeri hurried over and grabs her by the arm.

 

“Why are you avoiding me, and tell me the truth.”

 

“Yeri, I…”

 

Sooyoung is at a loss. Should she just get it over with and tell Yeri she loves her? Would she even be believed? Then there’s also the matter of her crush on Seulgi. The girl has a girlfriend, and they’ve been acting more open and obvious lately. Sooyoung just doesn’t understand how Yeri can’t see it. She must notice them holding hands where they go. Seulgi being such a gentlewoman by offering her coat to her, holding open the door, and just being extra sweet.

 

“Talk to me. We’re best friends, Soo. You know you can tell me anything.”

 

“I can’t.”

 

“Yes, you can.” Yeri disagrees.

 

“No, I really can’t. It’s better if you leave this alone.”

 

“Not when it’s hurting you.”

 

Sooyoung tries to leave but Yeri pulls her over to a quiet area where they can talk. Most students are already in class, or have left the campus entirely. She will find out what’s going on.

 

“Talk to me, Soo. I’m worried about you. I don’t like this distance or whatever weird things going on with us.”

 

The dark-haired girl doesn’t like it either. She hates how things are strained and odd these days. She decides to just go ahead and get it over with.

 

“I hate that you like someone else.” She admits.

 

“What, this is about Seulgi-sunbae?”

 

“Yes, mostly. I don’t want you to like someone else. I want you to like me, Yerimie. I wish you felt that way about me. Seulgi-sunbae isn’t for you.”

 

Yeri is stunned for bit. She had no idea Sooyoung felt that way about her. She doesn’t know what to say about it. The blonde does hear how her friend says Seulgi isn’t for her, and that she does know how to respond to.

 

“Who are you to just say that? You don’t know that she’s not.”

 

“She’s not, Yerimie. You don’t belong with her. I can make you so happy. If you just give me a chance.”

 

“Soo, I…”

 

“Never mind, forget I said anything. I need to go. I’ll see you, okay?”

 

Yeri doesn’t even a chance to say anything to her. The taller girl leaves so fast. She does feel terrible. What is she supposed to do now? It’s not as if she’s never thought about it. Sooyoung is not only kind. She’s beautiful too, and someone she has a lot of fun with. What about Seulgi though? She is so nice and cool too. The blonde has no idea what to do. She certainly doesn’t want to lose Sooyoung either. She sighs.

 

“What am I going to do?”


 

For as long as Sooyoung did try to keep Yeri safe from finding out about Seulgi and Joohyun. Fate has a way of not being ignored. If it has plans then events will happen. Yeri finally gathers up her courage to confess to her. She writes a cute note on orange paper and prepares to go to where the older girl can usually be found at this time. She’s usually at the art department. Since she serves as a TA in her spare time.

 

“Seulgi-sunbae,” she knocks on the office where the TA’s usually have office hours. The door is slightly ajar so she walks in. She doesn’t see Seulgi at first. Not until she walks further in, and sees the brunette in a seat with a familiar raven in her lap. They’re making out as clear as day. She doesn’t know when she gasps in surprise. But she does and it alerts the kissing couple.

 

“Yeri?” Seulgi says in surprise.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, Seulgi-sunbae, Joohyun-sunbae,” the blonde quickly pulls her together. “I should go.”

 

“Yeri, wait.”

 

She doesn’t wait and runs off. Seulgi only has to look at her girlfriend once for Joohyun to know she needs to go talk to her. The raven nods and gives her a quick kiss on the cheek.

 

“Go, she’s upset.”

 

“I’ll be back.”

 

Yeri doesn’t know where she’s running off to. She just knows she needs to get out of here. She feels so stupid. How could she have not seen this coming? It’s been staring her in the face many times. Them holding hands, Seulgi walking her to class, and her calling Joohyun “Hyunnie”.

 

“I’m so stupid. Just stupid.”

 

“Hey, Yeri, wait!”

 

She hears the older girl calling to her. She doesn’t stop. She can’t hear Seulgi apologize to her now. It’s not like the monolid girl needs to say sorry. She has a girlfriend. Yeri feels like she’s the one that should be sorry.

 

“Hey, wait,” Seulgi catches up to her. “I’m sorry, Yeri. I should have just told you I had a girlfriend. I really didn’t mean for you to get hurt.”

 

The blonde nods and gives a brave smile. “Don’t worry about it, sunbae. It’s not your fault. You and Joohyun-sunbae make a nice couple. Everyone thinks so.”

 

Seulgi frowns in concern. She can see how hard Yeri is trying to sound brave. She wants to say more. But someone wraps an arm around her, and pulls the blonde close to them. Yeri would know that arm anywhere.

 

“Soo?”

 

She is surprised because they haven’t spoken in awhile. Not since that last time. The taller dark-haired girl doesn’t let go. If anything her hold is strong, protective, as if letting Yeri silently know she’s here for her, like always.

 

“Don’t worry about it sunbae. I’ll take care of her, okay.”

 

“Um, okay.” The monolid girl nods. She does apologize again before leaving to go back to Joohyun. Sooyoung guides her away from school and Yeri wonders where they’re going. The question is answered when she takes her to their favorite ice cream place. Yeri doesn’t even have to say anything. The dark-haired girl orders her favorite right away. Then sets the strawberry ice cream sundae down in front of her.

 

“Thank you,” Yeri tells her. It’s not just for the ice cream. They both know that. Sooyoung gives a nod. Then tells her to eat before it starts to melt.

 

“Soo, did you know?”

 

“About Seulgi-sunbae, and Joohyun-sunbae? Yes I knew. I saw them before. I just didn’t want you to get hurt.”

 

Yeri understands. She wishes Sooyoung had told her though. It would have maybe saved her the trouble. She just eats some of the ice cream instead. It would be Sooyoung to know exactly what she needs before she says.

 

“I’m sorry about the last time we spoke,” Yeri tells her.

 

“Me too. I don’t like fighting with you, or being awkward. It’s fine that you don’t like me back. Well, no it’s not,” Sooyoung laughs sadly. “Because I think I’d make a great girlfriend, honestly.”

 

Yeri laughs some. “You’d make a great girlfriend.”

 

“I know.” She says proudly. “Wait, what?”

 

“I said you’d make a great girlfriend, Soo.”

 

“You’re not just saying this to make me feel better, are you?”

 

“No,” Yeri shakes her head. “I think you would. I’m not ready now. But if you can give me a little time. I think I can be a good girlfriend for you too.”

 

“What?” The taller girl is shocked. This is far from what she expected.

 

“You left so fast that time. I didn’t get to tell you I’ve thought about you before. Um, us. I just need some time to get over this crush. But if you find someone else. I do want you to be happy, Soo. I…”

She gets cut off when Sooyoung takes a hold of her hand.

 

“I’ll wait for you. I don’t want to be with anyone else, Yerimie. Just don’t take too long, okay.”

 

“Thank you, Soo.”

 

Yeri feels even more grateful than ever to have Sooyoung. She wants to be a good girlfriend for her one day too. She thinks she understands why Sooyoung said Seulgi wasn’t for her. It makes sense now.

 

“Cheer up, you’re too cute for Seulgi-sunbae anyway.”

 

“Um, have you seen Joohyun-sunbae. She makes me want to put a bag on my face.”

 

“Oh, true. She’s the prettiest girl in school.”

 

“Hey!” Yeri frowns. “You’re not supposed to agree! You idiot!” She hits her in the arm and that makes the dark-haired girl laugh.

 

“Oh, that’s good. See, you’re sounding like yourself again. You’ll be okay, Yeri.”

 

The way Sooyoung tells her in that soft tone that she’s going to be okay. It makes her believe in it. She could always trust her best friend.

 

“Thank you. You’re the best, Soo.”

 

“Well, I could have told you that.” She shrugs and sips on her milkshake. The blonde shakes her head and smiles some. Being with Sooyoung has always made her feel good. Maybe if Seulgi belongs to Joohyun. Perhaps she herself belongs with the dark-haired girl.

 

“Hey, Soo. Want to do our usual movie weekend?”

 

“Uh, yes! We’re so behind anyway. I’ve missed you.”

 

“I missed you too.”

 

The friends soon leave the ice cream place. Sooyoung is glad that overall Yeri does seem to be doing well. She pauses when she feels Yeri grab her arm.

 

“What’s wrong? Are you okay?”

 

“I am. Just thank you, Soo.”

 

“You’re welcome, Yerimie. I really want you to be okay.”

 

“I will be. I know it.”

 

The friends walk away arms linked. Sooyoung hopes this means Yeri will be open to them one day being a couple. She knows she’s the best person for the blonde. She can make her so happy. After all, Yeri has always been best suited for her more than anyone else in the world.

 

A/N: okay so I wanted to leave it with a somewhat positive outlook for Joyri to one day become more than friends. Hope this was okay