문자 왔네

잠깐 나오면 안돼? Can't you come out for a sec?

Can't you come out for a sec?

At ten in the evening, this is the message Jungkook sends me. He knows that I still study at this hour but we have a test on monday so he should realize I'd be especially busy. I send a reply stating that exact reason why I can't come out. Seconds later, a notification shows up on my screen again.

I need your advice

I roll my eyes. This is probably one of his girl problems again. He always comes to me to ask if he should reply to some girl who gave him a confession letter. My response is always the three magic words -- I. Don't. Care.

Please come see me. I'm right outside your apartment.

For real I'm going to kill him this time. I take my phone with me and step out of my room, my mom sitting on the sofa watching her evening drama. She sees me come out of my room and asks where I'm going with just a t-shirt and pajama pants on. 

"Jungkook is outside."

"Oh dear. That boy has nothing better to do at this hour."

"You tell me, mom."

"Still better to wear a jacket. You know it's chilly outside."

"Nah. This will just take a sec."

"Hmm... okay."

I slip on a pair of old sneakers and head out. A rush of air blows as I open the door. Mom's right, it is chilly. But I won't stay outside for long. I need to tell this idiot classmate and best friend of mine to get a life and leave me alone to study. Doesn't he know I want to keep my grades up? I'm not aiming for top place in our school but I just want to get into a good university.

As I walk down the steps, I slowly regret my decision of not wearing a jacket.

I finally reach the ground floor and I see my apartment entrance right in front of me. I press a button on the wall and the glass door opens, sliding to the left. I step outside and I can see Jungkook's face light up. He's always happy to see me. I sound cocky but he acts just like a puppy when it sees its master. And Jungkook does look like a puppy.

"What is it? We have an exam. You know that, right?"

"I do. But... I just needed to see you."

"What now? I just gave you advice last week."

"I know."

"And? What?"

"I turned Yerim down."

"How come? She's close to your type, isn't she?"

"Not as close as you think."

"Jungkook-ah... that's the fifth girl this year who's confessed to you and you turned down. You keep telling me you want a girlfriend but you're not acting on any of the prospects. What am I supposed to do then?"

"Date me."

"And another thing--wait... what?"

I pause. What just happened? Did... did he just say... no. Oh, no. This kid's messing with me. I know he is.

"Don't joke with me. Is it april fool's today?!"

"I'm... not joking."

Jungkook's lost color in his entire face but his ears are a much vibrant color compared to earlier. It's due to the cold I assume. I try to make a comment on his appearance but I end up sneezing abruptly. The cold's hit me and I unknowingly cross my arms to give me warmth.

"Idiot! Why aren't you wearing a jacket?"

"I just-- thought this would take a second."

"This will take a second."

Jungkook removes his own jersey jacket and puts it around then over my shoulders. The jacket covers my entire torso and he zips it up, as if it were a straitjacket. 

"Hey! I can't move my arms now!"

"Good. Then I'll just do this then."

He leans in and kisses me on the cheek. My eyes widen in surprise.

"Wh-what did you just do?!"

"Give me an answer when you're ready. Think about it."

Jungkook doesn't say another word and just leaves me standing in the cold, with his jacket keeping me warm. I want to punch him so hard but I can't. A smile forms on my face. Who knew Jungkook was capable of being a romantic and an idiot at the same time? He should have known my answer has always been yes.