5:: Layover

Trip or Trick

“Ladies and gentlemen, we are now preparing to land. Please fasten your seatbelt...” The sudden announcement wakes Jisoo up. She shakes the heavily asleep Jennie and Sejeong. “We’re almost there. Wake up.” Jisoo tries to reach for Sohye who is the heaviest sleeper.

“Huh? Are we there yet?” Sohye jumps up off her seat, bumping Sejeong’s chin with her sharp elbow.

“Ouch! Sit down Sohye!” she pulls her back to her seat. Without even apologizing, Sohye strains her neck to the nearest window to have a look outside.

“We’re landing soon, Sohye ssi” Jisoo calmly said to her, while Sejeong ignores her.

“Please, drop the formalities. Just call me Sohye.” Funny that they only spoke to each other after what seems like a long day.

“Ok Sohye, then you can call me Jisoo.” She smiles and they both exchange handshakes. The four girls go through an impromtu round of introduction and decide to address each other by first name basis. They even made fun of their dishevelled hair and smudged makeup.

“Face mask to the rescue,” Jennie takes her one and only possesion she had for this trip.

“Hats for me,” Sejeong puts on a black cap.

“Glad I left home with these.” Sohye takes her sunnies out of its bag.

 

Once out of the plane, Na PD briefs them on some important information. "As I told you earlier, a tour leader will be chosen randomly by me. The rest of you should assist the leader because you’re in a team."

“What’s the leader’s task?” Sohye asks.

“First of all, the leader will be the main person responsible for the group. The tasks include booking hotels, arranging travel plans and transportations. But don’t worry, you will work together."

“Ok.” Sohye murmurs to Sejeong that she doesn’t understand the need to have a leader for this ‘photoshoot’.

“I’ll explain it to you later.” Sejeong assures her after tapping her hand.

“Before we choose a leader, I want each of you to give your honest opinion on who you would choose.” Shin PD instructs them to say it to their personal cameras in private.

Jisoo and Jennie walk hand in hand to a hallway with a view of the runway. Jennie fixes her hair while Jisoo checks for the perfect angle.

“Hi, we just arrived in Amsterdam. We’re not quite there yet since this is a short stop over. For the team leader, I choose TVXQ’s Yunho sunbaenim. Because he’s the leader of his group, and he seems like the most dependable member.” Jennie gives her honest opinion.

“Nyeong an.” Jisoo giggles and closes . “This is Amsterdam Airport! Waaah. It’s my first time flying this far and my body aches all over. We still have another flight to catch, oh goodness.” Jisoo remembers what she’s suppose to do. “So, if given the choice, who I think would be a good leader for this group, I’d say Sejeongie? Hehe. My second choice would be Haechanie. I have a good reason for my choices because they were the first ones to approach me, and they seem like fun people to be with. A leader must be able to engage with the group, so yeah, Sejeong or Haechan.” Jisoo cheers for them one last time.

Not far from her, Haechan and Taeyong are eavesdropping. “Hyung, can you believe it, she chose me,” he jumps around the older guy like an excited puppy.

“She called me Haechanie. No one calls me that. Does that means she likes me?” Haechan squeals like a high school girl and closes his mouth with both his palms.

“I don’t know. Why don’t you ask her yourself.” Taeyong comments with a straight face.

“Hehehe. I think she likes me. Wohooo, this is the best trip ever. Thanks hyung.” Haechan hugs his leader and skips away from him.

“Weirdo.” Taeyong shrugs at Haechan.

“Hi, this is Taeyong from NCT. I choose Yunho sunbaenim as the leader. I believe he has the most experience in leadership. I’m looking forward to learn from him through this trip. Fighting!” Taeyong ends the short interview.

 

Jisoo is strolling around and saw him sitting alone. She gives a small smile and bows at him. Taeyong awkwardly bows back at her.

“You done with the interview?” she initiates a conversation with him.

“Yes I am.” Taeyong scratches the back of his neck, a habit he unconsciously does when he feels nervous or fidgety.

“Wanna grab something to eat?”

“I don’t have money,” he scratches his neck once again.

“Silly me. I forgot.” Jisoo laughs at herself. “But you must be hungry. I didn’t see you eat anything during the flight.”

“Yeah. I could eat a cow right now.” Taeyong automatically rubs his tummy realizing that he hasn’t eaten anything for 10 hours.

“Let’s see what we can do. C’mon.” Jisoo automatically grabs his arm but quickly lets go. “Eheh, sorry. Let’s go.” Taeyong stares at the spot Jisoo just touched and back at her. He didn’t know what just happened but he’s not complaining. Does this mean Jisoo likes him? ‘Lee Taeyong what are you thinking? Don’t be like Haechan’

He follows Jisoo with his quick steps.

“PD nim, what are you having? Ommo it looks really good.” Jisoo works her charms on Shin PD.

“Fish and chips. Wanna try some?” Shin PD kindly invites her to taste.

“Wow, fish and chips in Amsterdam sure tastes different than the ones back home. Taeyong ssi, you should have a taste.” Jisoo calls Taeyong to the table.

“Can I?” he hesitantly asks.

“Sure.” Shin PD hands him a new fork.

“It’s really good, right?” Jisoo asks him before he finish chewing. Taeyong nods to them, wondering what Jisoo is trying to do.

“PD nim, can we have dinner too? We’re starving.” Jisoo gives the most pitiful look she can muster, expecting that Shin PD would fall for it and willingly treat them.

“That’s not how things work here, Jisoo ssi,” Shin PD ignores her second attempt to score free food.

“But Taeyong ssi didn't eat during the whole flight. I’m telling you the truth PD nim.” Jisoo begs one last time. Shin PD eyes them warily while crossing her arms.

“It’s ok, I’m not that hungry by the way.” Taeyong excuses himself. He felt guilty for making Jisoo plead for him.

“Aish, why did you stop me,” she runs up to him. He's sitting at a corner at the end of the hallway.

“It’s embarrassing that we need to beg for food. It’s my fault that I starve myself and you shouldn’t do that for me.”

“Tsk, let’s see how you can survive with that kind of attitude. Here, have a sandwich.” Jisoo shoves the food to him.

“It’s yours by the way, I just took it from your tray while you were sleeping. Don’t thank me,” Taeyong looks at her and back at the sandwich in his hands.

He scoffs at his stupid remarks earlier and at her childish behaviour. He thought he had seen and heard enough, being the leader of NCT and all. With a wide grin on his face, he runs up to Jisoo.

“Wait up, Jisoo ssi.” He reaches for her arm to stop her. “Are you sure you got this off my tray?” Taeyong asks. He is just making fun of her seeing Jisoo got so flustered.

“Well.. yeah. I did.” She yanks her arm away.

“But there’s no witness. Who knows if there’s poison or drug in this mysterious sandwich of unknown origin? Care to explain?”

“Wow, so now you’re accusing me of trying to kill you? What a freak!”

“Why don’t you have a bite and prove your innocence?” Taeyong opens up the package and hands her half of the smoked ham sandwich. Jisoo takes a big bite while Taeyong eyes her amusingly.

“Happy now?” she dusts the crumbs off her hands while gulping down the last bite.

“Happy.” He answers and finally takes a bite of the other half of the sandwich. It is gone after three more bites.

“No desserts?” he playfully asks.

Jisoo looks into her backpack like it can spit out food as she wishes. She shakes her head.

“I have Kit Kat.” Taeyong takes out his stash of chocolates out. “Don’t thank me,” Taeyong repeats what Jisoo said to him earlier and they both burst into laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Jennie walks up to Jisoo.

“There you are Hyung, I circled the area dozen times looking for you.” Haechan runs up to Taeyong. “Let’s not split up. It’s hard to find each other without mobile phones.” Haechan pants heavily from his run.

“Sorry guys. I didn’t realize you were looking for us.” Jisoo hugs Jennie.

“It’s fine. The rest are gathering, PDnim is about to choose our leader.” Jennie leads them back.

Na PD stands in front of them and the girls clenched both arms hoping they wont be chosen. Yunho spreads his long arms and clings onto Changmin and Taeyong. He pinches Taeyong’s tensed shoulders at an attempt to make him relax but it does the exact opposite. Taeyong flinches but remains composed. He looks up at the tall guy who tries to show his friendliness in front of the camera.

 

“Tour leader.. is..”

*ddugun ddugun ddduuugunnnnn*