Prologue - Pt 3: Letters and the Passage of Time

Empire of the Sun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

July 27, 1854

 

Dear Yiyun-chan,

 

I have received your letter and I must say that it filled me with so much happiness. It is nice to hear that you are keeping well in Kyoto. It is a surprise that you have taken to Jaki-san's scholarly interests. Nevertheless, I am glad you discovered Basho. That poem you shared about the frog reminds me of the afternoons we spent watching the creatures of the creek. You were always so brave, chasing after them. I look back on those moments with a hungry heart. Do you still run as freely?

 

Here in Edo, father and mother see to my education. They make sure I know my arithmetic. It is tedious but father says I must learn it for dealing business. Oh, but do look at my calligraphy! It is quite impressive, do you not think so?

 

Edo has been stirred so greatly ever since the Black Ships from the West arrived earlier this year. It has often been the subject of much debate. Father thinks I am too young to understand. We will see about that. I will tell you all about it once I make it out properly.

 

Please write often, Yiyun-chan. I promise to do the same here in Edo.

 

Your smiles are also sealed deep in my heart. Take care.

 

Fondly,

Joohyun

 

 

- - -

 

 

December 4, 1858

 

Dear Yiyun-chan,

 

Watching the first snow fall fails not to take my breath away. The powdered haze it gives to the leafless trees and the buildings… it is as if one is in a dream. After three days the snow piled up enough for my cousins and I to play in. We made snowballs and snow sculptures until evening fell. Of course my cousins and I fell ill with a fever the very next day but how delightful it was, Yiyun-chan! How does the snow fall there in Kyoto?

 

I am much pleased that you are improving in your fencing lessons. How I wish to see your skills. And do not lie to me about being able to cut a tree in half with one , Liu Yiyun. That's just ridiculous! But I do believe you when you say you're getting better. I know the harsh style of Tennen Rishin Ryu is intended for war so I fear at times you may overwork yourself. I hope Donghae-san still remembers that you are a girl. Please take care of yourself.

 

Father says your family is really fortunate to have won a contract with the imperial court. I hear the palace holds one of the grandest fireworks shows to welcome the New Year. Does it not make you feel patriotic that you made fireworks for the Emperor? What an honor it must be for your parents.

 

Since Edo's ports are now open for trade, Father has been considering purchasing goods from the foreigners. He even went as far as saying he wants to be involved in the operations of the port trading house. Mother says he's being too radical and that he may draw flack from the other merchants who see the foreigners as competition. The country is truly changing. Are we even old enough to worry about these things?

 

I hope you enjoy your winter. Have thoughts of me to fend off the cold. I miss you an awful lot, you silly rascal.

 

Warmly,

Joohyun

 

 

- - -

 

 

March 27, 1860

 

Dearest Yiyun-chan,

 

Your last letter made my stomach hurt from so much laughter. It was a good thing it was read in my private quarters. People around our residence would have been so curious as to why I was in a fit.

 

Anyway, I have noticed your calligraphy has gotten better, I say. Perhaps you are trying to impress me? Well, you are not the only one. Kim Jongin is at it again. I have tried avoiding him, as you have previously advised, but he always manages to find some way to meddle into my affairs. Father has taken notice and he worries for me. He will not allow me my afternoon strolls in the city anymore and it has become rather suffocating. I suppose some good has come out of his patronizing since just days ago the shogunate's head adviser Ii Naosuke was slain by ronin from the Mito clan right outside Edo Castle! Imagine the horror if I took to the streets that day!

 

To keep myself busy I have been participating in housework. My favorite chore so far is ironing newly laundered clothes. I know it is domestic and unbecoming of me but I find that it takes my mind off this imprisonment of sorts. I just cannot get enought of the smell of clean robes and flattening them out to a crisp. Such satisfaction it gives me!

 

Perhaps in time, Edo will grow safe and I know that when it does, I will long to be outside the walls of our estate again. If only you were here, that pest Kim Jongin would not be able to stand on the same street as us and I would not have to suffer as much as I do now.

 

Father is planning on taking us on a vacation in summer. He wants to go up north to Akita to escape the heat but I have been begging for him to take us to Kyoto instead. I pray hard that he considers for I so badly want to see you!

 

In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to stay locked away. Be a dear and send back another entertaining letter. Save me from this boredom, Yiyun-chan!

 

Yours,

Joohyun

 

 

- - -

 

 

February 14, 1863

 

Dearest Yiyun-chan,

 

Edo has taken a sinister air. So many factions and such. I can barely speak my mind in public, afraid someone will take what I say the wrong way. But I can always rely on you in these matters, right, my dear Yiyun? It surprises me sometimes how alike we are in thought. Father spoke with one of the Japanese ambassadors who went to the foreign land of what they call 'Europe'. They returned from their long journey two weeks ago and after speaking with that man, father could not sleep out of excitement. The man told him about their travels and even brought back some Western clothes and strange trinkets that he showed off to father. Maybe these foreigners are not as bad as people make them out to be.

 

Daimyo Kim has been forced to commit seppuku after he was finally caught dealing opium around the city and some say even in Yokohoma. The shogun abolished his house and revoked his lands in the South. This disgrace has left Jongin and the rest of his father's vassals as masterless. Last I heard Jongin has joined a group of ronin formed by the government to guard the Shogun when he visits Kyoto to see the Emperor. What a relief. He can finally stop his sad excuse for courtship and seduction.

 

I might as well tell you more about the ronin group. They are a party of over two hundred men. The government did not care for age or status so anyone who can wield a sword was welcome to join provided that he was loyal and patriotic. They have recently left Edo and are now on their way to Kyoto. Perhaps they will reach your sights before my letter does. Perhaps you will encounter Jongin. Oh, Yiyun, I know your blood will seethe at that moment but promise me you will refrain from doing anything rash or mischievous? It will upset me very much to find out that you landed in trouble.

 

Kim Leeteuk, the master of the Shieikan, has also joined the ronin group along with the strongest men in his dojo. Is he not an old friend of Donghae-san's? Well, I would not be surprised to find out if your brother get

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter