chapter 2

phoenix

Four years later


 

    The bus came rambling around the corner when Kyungsoo finally looked up from his phone. He pocketed it in his jacket and waited for the doors to open in the dark bus station. With an exhausted sigh, the bus cranked the doors open. Kyungsoo stepped in, nodding to the bus driver with a wrinkled face. The bus was empty, save for a few people scattered around in the back. He opted for the very front, next to the old man.

    “What are doing out this late, son?” The driver had a crusty voice, but he seemed friendly enough. Kyungsoo sat down in his seat the moment the bus started going again.

    “Oh, I was just working late hours at my job.”

The man seemed appalled. “What? Why would you do that? Life is too short to work all the time. Go out and have fun!” The man reminded Kyungsoo of his Grandfather. His Grandfather always wanted the best for his grandchild, and most importantly, he wanted him to be happy. Kyungsoo missed him greatly in that moment.

    “Yeah, I wish I could. It’s just that, I need the money.”

    The old man laughed. It was more like a dry wheeze. “If I was your age, I’d be dancing at parties, hanging out with my buddies, kissing all the girls - or guys.” He added hastily. He looked at Kyungsoo, and he felt the other’s brown eyes stare deep into his soul.

    Suddenly Kyungsoo felt the serious silence. “Do you ever have any regrets in your life?” He blurted from the view of his hands. Kyungsoo looked out the window to see the bus nearing his apartment.

“This is my stop.” Kyungsoo grabbed his bag and stood up as the bus slowed. “Thank you, sir.” The doors opened and he began to walk down the steps.

“Time.” Kyungsoo turned around. “I wish I had more time with my loved ones.” The driver gave a tired grin and saluted him. There it was again, that heart-tugging sensation. “Have a good night, son.”

Kyungsoo walked off with a slow nod of his head.