Not a secret anymore

Breaking News

A/N: This is a nice oneshot I changed to a seulrene version because it was a good read at first. I hope this will be a decent read.


 

Popular singer-songwriter, Bae Joohyun wakes up when she feels that she’s alone in bed. She can always tell when her wife isn’t besides her. The bed feels so much colder without her other half, and it’s not all because of the lack of body heat. She just naturally sleeps better with her wife next to her. She reaches out though for her wife and long time partner. Famous artist, Kang Seulgi just to be sure. She isn’t there. She frowns, wondering where her wife is. Her brown-haired, bear-like love always sleeps like a log, so it’s unusual to not see her. As Joohyun for the most part normally wakes up before her.

 

“Seul, babe. Where are you?” She calls out, maybe she is their bathroom. There is no response, so Seulgi is somewhere else in their house. She gets up, and leaves their bedroom. From the top of the stairs she can smell breakfast being cooked. Food that doesn’t smell burnt, so that already pleases and surprises the petite dark-haired woman.

 

“Seul?”

 

She comes to a stop in their kitchen, and sees the slightly taller woman cooking. There’s flour on her cheek, hair in a messy bun, pots and pans everywhere.

 

“Aigoo, baby. What’re you doing?” she questions while wiping away the flour from her face.

 

“Hi, Hyunnie. I just wanted to try making breakfast for you. I’m know I’m nowhere near as good at cooking, but I’ve been practicing.” She gives a small smile. Joohyun smiles at how very cute her wife is being. She reaches up to gently caress cute, round-shaped ears.

 

“Sweetie. You didn’t have to do this.”

 

“But, I wanted to do something nice for you.”

 

“Seul, baby, you’re always doing nice things for me,” her monolid love is truly one of the warmest, kindest people she has ever met. She still remembers sweet moments where anytime they went out on dates. Seulgi would be ready to automatically hand over her jacket to her, sensing if she was cold. Or if she couldn’t make a performance she’d always have flowers sent to her, and in some cases, she’d surprise the singer by showing up in person claiming she couldn’t wait just to see the look on her face. When she’d realize her wife had shown up, flowers in hand.

 

“I don’t mind that you can’t cook. That just means that I can cook for you.” She leans up to kiss the brunette. Who responds eagerly to her kiss, wrapping her arms around her waist to deepen their kiss. When they break away Joohyun has a knowing smile on her face.

 

“Does this have anything to do with our first year anniversary?”

 

Their first year anniversary of their marriage is fast approaching. No one but very close friends, and their family really know that they are married. Her managers and label know as well, but that is an entirely different type of knowledge. It’s much easier for Joohyun’s career if she hides the marriage. Only the dark-haired woman hates hiding. She hates denying that she has someone incredible in her wife.

 

It also physically pains her to take off her wedding ring for work. Seulgi is a famous artist, especially here in South Korea and Japan. But it’s a lot easier for her to be out and open. The monolid woman wears her wedding ring proudly, but doesn’t ever disclose who her wife is.

 

“Well, sort of. I do have plans for our anniversary though.”

 

Joohyun looks very intrigued. They honestly barely get time to have romantic dates, so she’s looking forward to being able to celebrate their 1st year as a married couple.

 

“Oh, can I have a hint?”

 

“No. It’ll ruin the surprise if I give you a hint.” She smiles.

 

“Aw, okay then. Come on, let’s eat the breakfast that you made.”
 

The bear-like woman looks reluctant. Knowing that there is no way her attempt at cooking could match up with her wife’s. Joohyun though, gently guides her to their table and they have breakfast. The singer proceeds to eat all the pancakes that Seulgi made.

 

“Baby they taste good. Don’t worry.”

 

“Um, are you sure? I did a few practice runs, and they were pretty bad. I mean these aren’t burnt at least so that’s good.”

 

Joohyun takes her hands, giving gentle squeezes. “If I didn’t like them. I wouldn’t have ate them. Don’t worry okay,” she assures her.

 

Seulgi gives a relieved smile. Then kisses the shorter woman fully on the lips. This morning is a rare one where they can spend it together. They lay in bed cuddling when the TV is now showing one of Joohyun’s performances. It’s from a while back with Sehun, from a popular boy group. Seulgi frowns almost right away. She can’t help but to feel pissed when everyone keeps pairing her wife with so many other idols.

 

“Baby, you’re glaring.” Joohyun kisses her lips in an effort to distract the artist.

 

“Hey, stop it. Don’t try to distract me.”

 

“Honey. Don’t be jealous, you know you have no reason to be, and I’m not interested in any of the people they ship me with. I have a secret. I’m actually very married,” Joohyun says in a hushed tone that makes the monolid woman laugh.

 

“Oh, are you?”

 

“Hm,” the raven nods. “I’m married to a very beautiful, kind, warm teddy bear named, Kang Seulgi, heard of her?”

 

“Maybe, a few things.”

 

They kiss again, softer this time. Joohyun places her hand to her cheek, bringing her in for another hot kiss.

 

“I love you so much, Kang Seulgi.”
 

“I love you too, Kang Joohyun,” Seulgi uses her married name. They could only really use it when they are alone, with friends, or visiting family. The dark-haired woman sees that sad, distant look in her partner’s eyes and she hates it. They should be able to be open about their marriage, but at the insistence of Joohyun’s company, and managers they made the choice. The very difficult choice to keep it a secret.

 

“Hey, one day I promise you, sweetheart. Everyone will know that I belong to you. We won’t have to always hide.”

 

Seulgi, looks reluctant and hesitant. Something is definitely on her mind.  The dark-haired woman wraps her arms tight around her again.

 

“Seul, talk to me okay. Whatever it is you think you can’t tell me. You know that you can.”

 

“Hyun. I just don’t want for something to go wrong for you, for your career. I know how important this is, and how hard you worked to get to the level you’ve wanted. I don’t mind if we have to keep our marriage secret. If your career is fine.”

 

The fact that Seulgi would sacrifice her own happiness is what makes her so sweet. Yet, for Joohyun she doesn’t feel good about hiding. She had never wanted to lie about the fact that she was married. Her managers put just enough gentle pressure on her to make the couple consider her options. It is true that Joohyun had worked very hard to reach the level of stardom she has achieved. But, she is also not okay with hiding the person she is in love with. If fans can’t accept that. Then they aren’t her true fans.

 

“Do you know how much it hurts me every time I have to take off my ring? When I have to go to a performance or TV show appearance, and pretend that I am not already really in love with the most amazing person in the world?”

 

“I know,” the brunette gives a nod. “But, baby this is your career.”

 

“But you are my wife,” Joohyun says seriously. “I’m not going to keep you or our marriage secret forever. I promise,” she whispers tenderly with a soft kiss against her forehead.

 

“Hyun. It hurts me too you know, especially when I see how uncomfortable you are to be on stage with partners you don’t want to have. I always catch those moments when you’re trying too hard to pretend,” Seulgi admits, because she knows her wife very well. She knows the difference between a genuine smile and a forced one. Seulgi gently leaves kisses against her neck.

 

“I love you, okay. You know, all I would rather do is be home with you, Seul.”

 

“I know. But I won’t make you choose me over your career. If the situation was reversed you wouldn’t force me. Hey, we know we’re married, and that’s what matters.”

 

It’s not all that matters, and it’s also not fair. Not to her, her wife or their marriage.


 

The next morning just before Joohyun has to be up for a radio show appearance. She hears Seulgi moving about, which wakes her since it is very early in the morning, and her wife should be asleep besides her instead of up.

 

“Babe….” she yawns. “What are you doing?”

 

“Oh, did I wake you, sorry. Hyun, go back to sleep, okay.”

 

Of course, she can’t as she is a light sleeper. When she opens her eyes fully she sees Seulgi has a duffle bag packed. Oh, her half sleep brain wonders if she is leaving her. If somehow her wife has had enough of lying about their marriage.

 

“You, you aren’t leaving me are you?” She whispers softly.

 

“What? No, no of course not. I just have to fly out of town for a few days. It shouldn’t be any more than that. Sweetie, come on I’m not leaving you,” the artist kisses her cheek and then lips. “I’d need a lot more stuff don’t you think,” Seulgi teases.

 

Which earns her a slight shove but even more kisses. Seulgi does travel for work too, art shows, gallery exhibits. Sometimes she is even asked to sit in on art panels, critique other artists work, and every time she has a show Joohyun tries to go. She watches from the background never making it known that she is the wife Seulgi doesn’t name. Just as Seulgi will be in the audience of one of her shows, giving her so much silent support. But Joohyun somehow always finds her eyes in the crowd, and one smile from her wife always makes her feel like she can do anything.

 

“I’ll miss you. You’ll be back for our anniversary, right?”

 

It’s in a week, but Seulgi is going out of town, and sometimes things come up. Flights get delayed or art shows get extended a day or two more.

 

“Of course. I told you I have plans, right?”

 

“Yea, can I get a hint yet?”

 

Seulgi chuckles. “If I told you then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”

 

“But I’m your wife,” the raven reminds her with kisses against her jawline, knowing how weak those kisses make her slightly taller wife. Once she hears a moan. Joohyun feels as if it’s working her semi seduction.

 

“Come on, you can tell me?”

 

“Hyun, okay, okay….” Seulgi breathes. “It’s….”

 

“Yeah?” Joohyun asks in excitement.

 

“It’s just…”
 

“What is it, Seul?”

 

“It’s a surprise.” The artist finishes, and that makes the shorter woman groan. That was pretty smooth.

 

“Fine, okay. You win for now. Baby, have a safe flight. I love you, and call me the moment you land in…. Where are you going?”

 

“Jeju,” Seulgi admits. “For a last minute art showing. It’s not mine though, but I’ve been asked to appear. I’ll be of course thinking of you. I love you too, baby.”


 

 

The singer is in the waiting area backstage just before she has to go sing. When her friend Joy calls her. “Unnie, are you near a TV or your phone?”

 

“Um, yeah. But what’s going on?”

 

“Your wife is on TV. She’s giving an interview and she looks so hot,” Joy teases and makes Joohyun’s face feel red.

 

“Yah! She’s my wife you know. I know how hot she is.”

 

That makes Joy crack up on the other end. “Yeah, yeah, just watch it. Or stream it. It’s live at Byulyi-unnies art show in Jeju.”

 

That’s why she had to go to Jeju. It was to support her longtime friend Byulyi. Joohyun turns on the TV and flips through the channels, stopping when she sees familiar monolids and her smiling wife’s face. She is wearing a black tux jacket, white shirt and dark jeans. She as always looks hot and y. Joohyun really wishes they were home in bed now.

 

“Seulgi-ssi, hello. It’s good to see you at Byul’s art show. We know the two of you are very close friends.”

 

“Yes, hi. I am always glad to support a friend as they always support me in turn.”

 

“Seulgi-ssi, our viewers are always dying to know. Who your wife is? Is she a fellow artist? Is she famous as well?”

 

Of course everyone is always running Seulgi down to ask about who she is married too.

 

“Well, I’ll make this short and simple because I really am here for Byul’s show. But my wife is, the most amazing, warmest, kindest, beautiful person, and the greatest love of my life. That’s all I’m going to say, enjoy the show,” she nods to the interviewer.

 

The singer, is just holding back tears. Tears of happiness of course because Seulgi is just so sweet. She is the greatest love of her life too, and there is no way she’ll hide their marriage for much longer. Especially not after such another sweet silent shout out to her. She’ll bring it up with her management first.

 

That conversation doesn’t go well. They don’t understand why suddenly Joohyun wants to make an announcement when it’s been hidden for an entire year, and the relationship itself has been a secret for even longer.

 

“Joohyun, why now?” The head manager questions. “You and Seulgi-ssi made the decision a long time ago to not announce your marriage.”
 

“I know. But I also don’t like hiding or lying about her or our marriage. It isn’t fair that you and the CEO suggested it in the first place. There are other openly gay idols out there.”

 

This is true. There are other who are openly gay, but they also aren’t married. Joohyun’s management of course are worried for potential backlash that this could cause for one of their most popular talents.

 

“Yes, but are you really prepared to deal with any fallout?”

 

“My wife is worth anything, so yes. If people can’t handle that I’m in love and married. Then that is really their problem and not my own. I’m sorry but I can’t keep hiding this forever. I won’t.”
 

“Alright,” the manager sighs. “You’ll just have to deal with any potential backlash. I don’t know if most people will deal well with the idea of you being married.”

 

“Most people? Or you and the CEO? Because, I was barely back from my honeymoon when you were already insisting I lie, and not reveal my marriage.”

 

“Joohyun…”

 

“No, it’s fine. I understand from a business view how it must have been for you. But from someone who just loves her wife more than anything. I will not hide anymore, and…” She reaches into her inner jacket pocket, and puts on her wedding ring.

 

“I will not be taking this off again, ever. If it’s going to come down to a choice between my wife or career. Guess, which one I’m always going to pick.”

 

If anything this sudden boldness surprises management. Joohyun has always been such a polite, thoughtful artist. Never caused any scandal or anything that would warrant an apology. But now there is this fire in her eyes. A determination that they haven’t quite seen to this extent.

 

“Very well, Joohyun. It appears nothing will stop you, so do whatever it is that you need to do.”


 

It sounded like a threat, Joohyun finds that she wouldn’t be too surprised if she is going to be forced to leave, or contract terminated. It doesn’t matter right now. She will deal with that if it comes. She really just wants to go home and be with her wife. Only Seulgi is still in Jeju, so the dark-haired woman does the next best thing and facetimes her on call.

 

“Hyun? Hey, are you okay?” Seulgi questions, because of course she already can tell something isn’t right.

 

“Hi baby,” Joohyun smiles. “I’m fine. I’m just missing you.” It’s not a lie as she definitely misses her. But that conversation with management was hard. Much harder than she first thought it would be.

 

“Um, I miss you too. But are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“I’m fine, promise. How was Byulyi’s show?”

 

“Great, she sold a lot of work too. Now, she’s gone and got a huge head thinking she’ll sell paintings like I do.” The artist teases. That makes Joohyun laugh.

 

“You’re my favorite artist, baby. Who’s the one that recently had a sold out show in Japan? Didn’t you sell every single last painting?”

 

Seulgi laughs next. “You’re biased, sweetie.”

 

“Maybe, but as your wife. I’m allowed to be. When are you coming home?”

 

“Tomorrow. It gives us plenty of time to get ready for our anniversary.”

 

“The surprise you still won’t tell me about?” Joohyun teases.

 

“Nope. Not until the day of. Okay, I need to go because Byul needs help with some last minute things at her gallery show. I love you, okay.”

 

“I love you too, Seul.”


 

Yeah, she’s definitely going to let the world know about her marriage, and her incredible wife. She sets up a press conference with her journalist friend Yeri, who was all ready to help reveal this.

 

“Unnie, I’m so happy that you’re going to reveal this. You and Seulgi-unnie, are seriously the happiest, sweetest married couple I know. Hopefully after this you can just be together without having to hide.”
 

“Thank you, Yeri This will be live right? People can just tune in to see it?”

 

“Oh yea, definitely. The minute we start talking it’ll be live, so don’t be nervous.”
 

“I’m not. It’s time that I finally do this. Thank you for your help, Yeri.”



 

Seulgi is on her flight back home when she overhears other passengers saying to tune into Joohyun’s interview. It surprises her because she doesn’t know that her wife even had one. She cuts on her tablet, and looks online for the interview that is currently streaming live.

 

“Oh, there’s Yeri too,” Seulgi thinks. This is probably some last minute interview done as a favor.

 

“Hi, and we’re back with singer and songwriter, Joohyun who has huge news to share with all of us. Joohyun there are thousands of viewers tuned in right now. Please share whatever it is that you have to say.”

 

“Thank you, Yerim-ssi,” the raven says professionally, because now they are just interviewer and interviewee.

 

“Hi, everyone. I do have something very important to announce. I should have done this a year ago, but I am here now to discuss something extremely important to me.”

 

“Oh, is she seriously about to…” Seulgi thinks.

 

“Oh, sounds personal. When you’re ready Joohyun-ssi.”

 

“Okay.” she nods. “I just first, want my fans to know and understand that I do appreciate all of the support as well as love that they’ve all shown me over the years. I would hope that they will be happy about what I am going to say. The truth is I have someone whom I love very much, more than anything in the world. She is the person that makes me happiest. The first thing I see in the morning, and the last thing I see before I go to bed at night.”

 

“She is…”

 

“She is my best friend, my love, my rock when things are so overwhelming. I turn to her, and she keeps me sane and grounded. She is my soulmate and my wife. Yes, I am married,” she shows her ring, and that’s when it really hits the artist hard. Joohyun is taking it upon herself to announce their marriage. She must have decided to do this ahead of time, meaning it was meant to be a surprise.

 

“Hyun, oh wow,” she whispers with tears softly streaming down her eyes. Her wife is the most incredible person she knows.

 

“You’re married,” Yeri has to play it up like she doesn’t know of course. “Wow, that is amazing news, and I’m sure true fans will be happy and accept your marriage. Is it okay if we know who the lucky woman is?”

 

“Yes,” the singer smiles. “It’s more than okay. I’m married to the most wonderful, beautiful, and kindest woman I’ve ever known. I am Mrs. Kang Seulgi. I am not going to hide that any longer, although I’d hope people will still support, and more importantly be happy for me and us. Because we are very happy and in love.”

 

Seulgi almost can’t believe this. Then again, this is her wife here. The same wife who promised that people would know. She just hopes that hopefully her career won’t be harmed because of this huge announcement.

 

“Kang Seulgi, the famous artist? Hm, you two make a beautiful couple Joohyun-ssi. Now is there anything you’d like to say to your wife?”

 

“Yes, hi baby,” Joohyun smiles warmly. “I really hope you’re watching this. I promised that we wouldn’t have to keep our marriage secret anymore, and I meant it. I love you so much and I can’t wait to see you when you get home.”

 

“I love you too.” Seulgi whispers.

 

Of course other people on the flight notice her. “Oh my god, it’s you! Kang Seulgi, right?”

 

“Uh…” she has no time to deny.

 

“You’re married to Joohyun? Is it true?”

 

Well it’s already out there. “Yes,” Seulgi nods. “I am married to Joohyun. She’s my wife.”
 

There is a moment of silence, so Seulgi wonders if this is going to be okay. Or if people are going to start freaking out. But what she hears is a round of applause.

 

“Congratulations!!!”

 

“You do make a beautiful couple, and we hope you are both happy.”

 

“I never shipped Joohyun with Sehun anyway.” Someone says and that makes Seulgi laugh in amusement.

 

“Yeah, me neither, and thank you.”
 

 

When she gets off her flight. Joohyun is there waiting for her, not even trying to hide behind shades or a huge hat. Just standing there waiting for her. Her warm smile, makes Seulgi hurry to her, and smile back.

 

“Hi, honey,” the shorter of the two runs to her, and jumps into her arms.

 

“Hey,” she responds with immediate kisses to her lips. It’s only been a few days. But it also feels like it’s been so much longer.

 

“I missed you,” the singer whispers with arms wrapped around her neck.

 

“I missed you more. I saw your interview.”

 

“Oh, good. I hoped you would see it live. Are you ready to go home? We can talk there, and I made some of your favorites.”

 

“Only you have to do a groundbreaking interview, and still cook,” Seulgi smiles again, kissing her forehead. Then the couple walk out of the airport hand in hand. There are tons of paparazzi too, taking pictures, asking not for Seulgi or Joohyun. But Mrs. Kang. That makes them both laugh in amusement, so far so good. At least the reaction has been pretty positive so far.

 

The minute they get home Seulgi barely has time to put her bag down, and her wife is already kissing her. Leading her over to the couch, in a quickly intensifying makeout session. “Babe, hey...not that I haven’t missed your lips. But can we talk.”
 

“Okay, but you owe me kisses in a few minutes.”

 

“Deal,” she nods then grabs her hand. “You really did that,” Seulgi mentions the interview.

 

“Of course I did. Honey, I am so tired of having to pretend. Look,” she gestures to her ring. That is now on her finger. Seulgi’s eyes automatically drops to her. She touches her hand.

 

“You’re wearing it?”

 

“Yes. I’ve been wearing it in public for the past few days, and guess what,” she leans forward to kiss her lips. “I will never be taking it off in public again.”

 

“I’m happy that you won’t have to.” The artist promises. “You were so brave to do that interview, though. You risked so much.”

 

“You come first for me, Seulgi. Whatever I end up having to deal with the company I will. But, I am Mrs. Kang Seulgi, and that’s what matters the most to me.”

 

“Me too. The people on the flight congratulated me, so far so good. I love you very much, Hyun.”

 

“I love you too. Now, that you’re back, and our anniversary is in a matter of days. Can I please know something?”

 

Seulgi laughs. “Okay, but how soon can you be packed?”

 

“Oh, we’re going out of town? Where to Hawaii, China, or maybe Europe. We talked about going there at least for one anniversary.”

 

“Not exactly. We’re going somewhere else.”

 

“Somewhere else?” Joohyun wonders, as she can’t imagine where else Seulgi is planning to take them.

 

“Yea, hang on.” Seulgi gets up to get out her bag. Then reaches for an envelope. She returns and gently placing it in her hand.

 

“What’s this, baby?”

 

“Our tickets. Open them, okay.”

 

Joohyun gives a nod, and opens the envelope to see two tickets come out. Two tickets back to Thailand, where they spent their honeymoon. It’s a very special place to the couple.

 

“Thailand?”

 

“Yes,” Seulgi nods. “We haven’t been back there since our honeymoon. But I was thinking before we go. We can go see your parents and sister in Daegu first. Since we also haven’t seen them just before our wedding. I couldn’t imagine a better way to celebrate than to go home to see them first. You don’t get to see them as much as you’d like, so… “ Seulgi pauses when she sees Joohyun crying.

 

“Baby, don’t cry.” The artist wipes away some tears.

 

“No. I’m happy, this is so sweet, and I do miss my parents and sister. Then to go back to our honeymoon spot. This is incredible. I love you,” Joohyun hugs her wife.

 

“I’m glad. I hoped this was a good idea.”

 

“It’s a perfect idea. Now, want to go help me pack?” She grins seductively.

 

“Oh, yea. I’d love to help you pack, the less clothes the better,” Seulgi teases.

 

“Um, if I’m wearing less clothes then so are you. You are definitely keeping me warm bear,” she smiles, taking her hand, and leading the way up to their bedroom.

 

“I’m always here to keep you warm, Mrs. Kang.”

 

“I love the sound of that, Mrs. Kang.”


 

A/N: Okay, I think this one was actually not bad. It works well as a Seulrene version too. Hope this was a good read guys.