Beginning

The Princess's Bodyguard


 

King Bae Seunghyun and the Queen Bae Yeonjoo have been living in peace for fifteen consecutive years in Baekje after his parent's death due to sickness. Baekje has been independent for 100 years. They weren't blessed with a prince to continue the King's regulation but they were blessed with a great mind in a form of a girl.
 

 

Princess Bae Joohyun.


 

They knew the safety and success of Baekje will blossom in the hands of their little girl.
 

 

It all started when little Joohyun often visited their royal library. At the age of three, she managed to read half of the Hanja writings written on one of the hanging scrolls.

 

 

"A wise.. ruler.. should not... neglect.. minority... opinions..."


 

And it brought shock, smiles, and tears to her parents' faces.


 

At the age of seven, she knew almost a quarter of the law of their empire.


 

Little Joohyun was informed that the first sentence she had read three years ago was a wise quote her parents adored.
 

"A wise ruler should not neglect minority opinions and give a careful hearing. Nevertheless, it would be foolish for a monarch to make decisions based on a single person's opinion."
 

Joohyun had loved that quote ever since and had made a vow to her parents, that she'll follow their paths.

 

 

"Hyun-ah, what if you're the ruler of this kingdom. What's the first thing you'll do?" Her father asked her one time over a dinner.
 

"Help people!" Joohyun enthusiastically said, nearly knocking her glass of water.

 

"Your etiquettes, my lovely girl." her mother warned her with a warm smile.
 

"Sorry, mother."
 

"It's fine." her father answered, "Let's say, you own a whole kingdom, where would you build your palace?"

 

Little Joohyun pondered with a pout for a while.

 

"I want to build it in the side of the whole kingdom and put my people in the middle so they will be safe but that would destroy my palace but I love my people.." Little Joohyun fought with her own thoughts while saying those words out loud.
 

The King chuckled at her daughter's cute behaviour.
 

"Honey, it's oka-"
 

Her father was cut off when little Joohyun suddenly jumped up, "I know! I'm going to put my lovely palace in the middle with my lovely people around me and there's going to be lovely guards that will protect us and there will be a huuuuge lovely wall that will protect all of my loved ones. Including you, mother and father."
 

Both her parents was shocked but it soon turned in to a big smile when little Joohyun got out from her chair and gave them a hug.

 

"I love you, mother and father."

 

"We love you too, Joohyun."

 

One evening, while little Joohyun was practicing her calligraphy outside in the palace's gazebo with her teacher, Hwang Miyoung, her stomach grumbled.
 

"You hungry, princess?" her teacher asked her with an eyesmile that's so bright.
 

Her teacher, Hwang Miyoung, was also her aunt, for she's the sister of her mother. So this was where she got her eyesmiles from.
 

"Yes, Auntie!"
 

"Aish, this kid. I told you to just call me unnie or teacher. Do I look that old to you, huh?"
 

Joohyun just chuckled.

 

"Just wait there."

 

While little Joohyun was peacefully writing, she heard rustles from the garden beside the gazebo.

 

It just got louder as little Joohyun was writing.

 

"Where's that noise coming from?"

 

Little Joohyun followed her senses and it led her to a bush.
 

When she opened the bush, what she saw shocked her.
 

"Goodness. It's only just you, you cute little animal."
 

Joohyun was delighted when she saw a black cat and patted her lovingly.
 

"Are you lost, little cat?"

The rustles still continue and Joohyun lifted her gaze, just to become even more shocked at what she saw. She saw a little girl, who almost resembles the cat she was holding, thanks to her eyes.
 

Unfortunately, behind the bush, was a gate too high for Joohyun to get closer to the other girl.

 

"Hello there! What's your name?" little Joohyun waved at the said girl.
 

The girl just blinked at her. To Joohyun's attentive eyes and brilliant mind, it looked like the other girl was just her age, she didn't wear a dress like she did, she was wearing a cape? That was what Joohyun had observed.
 

The girl just keeps on looking at Joohyun.

 

"Uhm. These gates are really troublesome, you know." Joohyun continued to speak.
 

Fortunately, the long metal gates had spaces in between that fit Joohyun's arms.
 

She did what she believed was a friendly gesture to someone. She extended her hand inbetween the metal bars of the gate.
 

"I'm Joohyun."
 

Joohyun was happy the girl took a step forward and slowly extended her hand, as if she was hesitating if she should do it.
 

Joohyun just pulled it and shaked it energetically.
 

"Seul."
 

The other little girl named Seul, said, a little bit shocked at the other girl's "agressiveness"

 

"Finally! I have a friend!"
 

Little Joohyun was ecstatic to be meeting Seul.
 

"Just wait here! I'm going to tell my father to get rid of these so you can enter."
 

"Joohyun!"
 

Both of them heard her Miyoung unnie shout which just made little Joohyun much more happier.
 

"Just wait there, Seul!"

 

"Unnie, over here!" Joohyun got out from the bush and waved her arms up in the air.
 

"Oh thank goodness. I thought you were missing!" her Miyoung Unnie suddenly hugged her.
 

Little Joohyun was a little bit shocked by the gesture but she had no time to react as she was feeling totally happy at the moment. "Come on, unnie! I have this friend here and she-"
 

When little Joohyun pulled her Unnie in to the bush. She was shocked to see Seul was gone, even the black cat was gone.
 

"What. I just talked to her here seconds ago. Where is she?"

 

"You have a friend? In here? Seconds ago?"

 

"Yes, Unnie, in here. Her name's Seul and I think she's just here. Wait."

 

Little Joohyun went to the bars again and looked for her little "friend".
 

"Seul! Seul! Where are you?"
 

Joohyun's shout just got louder as every second passes by.
 

"SEUL!!!"
 

"Joohyun, just. Maybe she wasn't there at all. Maybe.."

 

"No! She was here! She even shook hands with me!"

 

"Okay, okay. She was there. But maybe she had to go home. It's already evening, maybe she has gotten home. Maybe her house is not that near, that's why she needs to go now."
 

To Miyoung's luck, little Joohyun was convinced with her words.
 

It did looked like her house was far, Joohyun thought. She was just wearing that cape.


 

"Let's just eat inside the palace. It's getting dark in here."
 

Miyoung felt fear creep up to her the moment they came back to the palace.

 

 

Author's Note: So yeah, this is my first attempt on a Historical AU. And it's quite hard to be honest LOL so I'll explain more of these in the upcoming Author's Notes.
 

By the way, I have updated four chapters in the same day, so please do tell me if you can't see the other chapters! It's also my first time doing so hehe. I felt that it would be kind of mean to just leave you guys hanging. SO yeah, I just updated it with this first chapter! hehe 


 

^^ So in there, I pasted a pic of little Joohyun in a hanbok 'cause damn she cute. Please forgive me if my way of writing doesn't sound that historical at all. I'm sorry hehe. p.s please tell me if you can see the picture hehe