Realize (Too Late For Me) 1.1

Realize (Too Late For Me)

College life was indeed a beautiful story to share, few more steps and you can reach your goals and you can fulfill your dreams, yet despite of being having a hectic schedules I still managed to fall… fall for a wrong person, and… fall for someone I know he's the right one for me but I chose to let him go.

 

You never failed to share a piece of sandwich to me everyday, but excepts for holidays and week ends (Really a sandwich? Yeah, it is.) You leaving something doesn't ring a bell to me. I just don't get it. You always make sure to leave a piece of sandwich on my chair, or you asks someone to gave it to me, and I end up being teased with my friends and some of our classmates.

Sometimes, I wondered if you haven't grown tired of giving me something but me giving you a cold shoulder in return. I've been ignoring you, but you always gives me a sweet smiles.

 

It was on my third year when I start to date, I've dated the star basketball player of our campus Lee Howon. Sure a bunch of girls and guys were into him, but I felt lucky because of all those students whose into him he chose me. I thought, dating him will stops you for giving me sandwiches, but it never stops you.

As I starts dating Howon, I also starts to cut classes every time they had a game. Being a supportive boyfriend as I am, I'm always there.

Nothing's really particular, it was another game. And as expected my boyfriend's team win against the other. I ran towards Howon and hug him, he pulled me close as he leans in to captured my lips. I know, you see it. You saw everything. But what I really didn't expect is that you walk closer to us and you hand me a two slice of sandwich and a bottle of water. I refused, but you're too determined. So, I ended up receiving it. And Howon began to asks "Who's that?" and I end up saying "No one, just don't mind him." and he believes in me.

 

It's been months since I've been dating the star player, I felt love sometime. But, sometimes I felt that he's not really the one for me. Every time I wanted to console him and tell him that we should end things between us, he starts to mumbles sweet talks to me, he smiled at him and that's my killer. He said, "I love you and I need you." and I'm too weak for that.

 

It's February and it's our anniversary. We talked the other night, that we'll be going out, but still he forgots. (Does he? Or he pretends that he forgots?) Rumors were flying around the corner of our campus, some says that Howon is cheating on me, that he's dating another guy.

I cried, as I wiped away my tears someone sits next to me. He handed me his handkerchief, then to my surprised it was you. You smiled at me, you didn't say anything we just sit there for a moment. Then, my stomach starts to rumble, and that's how I first heard you laugh. You offered me a sandwich (again) and that's how I ever first tastes your sandwich. And wow it really taste good. (Truth, I never eat the sandwiches he gave to me).

We became a good friends. I enjoyed your company and how I knew you were really a good man. How good are you in cooking. Your cooking skills is wow. I never got tired being with you. But Howon told me, I should stay away from you if I wanna keep our relationship goes.

So, I listened to him and I stayed away from you. Whenever I saw you in a hall way, I ran away for me to avoid you. I blocked you from my phone.

Then, one night I saw Howon with another guy. It hurts. I cried, then I remember you. I called you up, and without hesitation you answered my call and went where I am. You hug me and I let myself, you didn't uttered any. I thought, you were just like them, telling me "I told you that Howon is cheating on you." Or "that I'm stupid."

After I calm myself, I asks you if we could drink, their were hesitant first. But I say please. Instead going to a bar you bring me to your house. It was my first time to be in your home. There your parents and your brother. As we drink, we let ourselves got lost with the alcohol. I cried with my problems with Howon and you cried yourself out on how you've been struggling with your life. How you wanted to find a job after graduating, and you wanted to give your family a good life.

It was late at night when decided to get home. I said, it's okay I can still walk myself at home. But you insist, of walking me back home. Silence filled. And… I don't know you initiates it first, all I know your lips was on mine, and before I knew, I responded to your kiss. You kiss me like I'm the most precious thing on earth. Until my phone vibrates on my pocket, then it hits me. I push you away, and I slap you. Then, I turn my back from you.

I received a message from Howon "Fine! Be with Woohyun." I can sense of venom in it. Maybe, he saw us. Should I feel guilty?

 

After the kiss we shared we didn't say anything. We still remain as a good friends. We were on our way to cafeteria when Howon saw us. He was angry. He was ready to give you a good punch but I stand in between. I said "enough". Howon let me choose between you or him. Too hard to decides, because you're too good for me and I was too in love with Howon. Then I promise to Howon that I'll stay away from you. I asks you to leave but you were too stubborn. I plead, and you begged on your knees. But I was too blind in love with Howon, so I made up a decision were I know I will hurt you, I chose him over you. Then, I left with Howon. I left you and still you're on your knees.

 

Been weeks since we didn't talk. I thought, it'll better. I was hurt too when I leave you that day. I saw you, and you saw me. You flash a smile and you approach me. Then, I saw Howon far from us. I pretend that I was annoyed by you. You gave me a sandwich (God how much I missed you and how I missed the taste of your sandwich). I want you to stay away from me too, cause all I know, all I did is just to hurt you. So, I intentionally threw the sandwich in a trashcan, were you can see it clearly. I never look back. But deep inside my heart is aching.

 

Finally, after a years of struggling. Hardship, sleepless nights for exams are finally paid off. We finally, have our diplomas. As you set your feet onto the stage to received your diploma, I secretly eyeing you. The smile on your face as you look to were your parents is. I know, they were proud of you. (So do I am).

After the ceremony I wanted to approach you, to personally congratulate you. But I was too afraid. A tap on my shoulder, I was wishing hope it was you. But it's Howon. He wanted to take a photo with me. Then, that's the last time I ever saw you.

 

After I graduated my parents sent me to Beijing. To help my Uncle with his business. And never a day I didn't think about you.

Three years and I decided to be home. I am ready, ready to confess my love for you. That it is you from the start. I look for you. I went to your house, sadly your neighbors told me that you and your family are no longer staying there. And you already had a stable job, and a great Architect. I met, a woman and told me that she was your mother's friend and she knew where you are.

Fifteen minutes ride and we reached your home. Wide eyes, stunning to your beautiful home. I smiled, with the thought "You have really made your promise to your family." After a moment standing outside your home, I let my feet takes me to where it wanted to lead. I end up, in a classic restaurant. Thinking, someday I'll visit you. As I was busy having this thought, a man facing back at me caught my attention. He really looks like you. To make it sure, I slowly walk into a corner to get a better look.

Then… it was you. You were very handsome. More manly. I slowly approach you, heart beats fast. I missed you so much. You look back, then our eyes mets. I smiled, and you smiles too. As I was about to get near you, a handsome man appears in front of you. And my heart breaks, how you look at him with so much love. How you kiss his forehead, and how plant a kiss on his lips. I want to pull you away from him. It supposed to be me. The one you were looking with so much love, the one who's holding your hand, the one you giving your kisses.

Froze, it's time for me to leave but I let myself to stay. I'm too stubborn, you know. A guy approaches for the both of you as he was discuss something on you two. I think, he's a wedding organizer. And reality hits me. You two were getting married. Too late for me.

As the guy leaves, you approaches me, with the man you love.

"Hi! Sunggyu. How have you been?"

I control myself not to cry. But, my tears were betraying me. It falls freely when you said, "Sunggyu, this is Kim Myungsoo my soon-to-be-husband."

 

I was too naive way back. That the simple things you've done for me, for giving me sandwiches and trying to reach out for me is the simplest way of showing me that you care and you love me. But I've wasted it. And now too late for me to realize, were you can be no longer my man. I wish, the happiest life for the both of you. Maybe, it's too late for me. But I know, Myungsoo is better than me. And I know he's the one for you.

Woohyun I am thankfully enough that in my journey you've been part of it. Those memories of us will surely will always be forever here in my heart.