nightmare.

Nightmare

Perhaps, suggesting Shuhua to watch a horror movie with her in the middle of the night wasn’t the best idea. Knowing the girl’s animosity for horror materials, Yuqi wouldn’t be surprised if Shuhua would turn down the offer and go straight to bed instead. Albeit that wasn’t the case. The younger, to Yuqi’s astonishment, insisted on accompanying her to watch the said movie, despite her fear.

It wasn’t until in the midst of the movie, Yuqi could feel the strength of Shuhua’s grip on her left forearm slowly getting tighter and stronger (she also felt faint trembling). She glances at the girl and notices Shuhua trying to maintain a normal, nonchalant facial expression, but to no avail as a sudden jump-scare caused her to release a high-pitched yelp and flinch greatly that Yuqi was almost hit in the process.

Deciding that it was best to halt the movie, Yuqi reaches out for the remote on the coffee table in front of her and didn’t waste ample time to switch off the TV. She then turns to Shuhua who was already looking at her with a confused expression mixed with a frown on her porcelain white face.

“You were scared.”

“I wasn’t.”

“Yes you were.”

“No–“

“Shuhua,”

“Maybe a little…”

Shuhua releases a growl (in which Yuqi finds absolutely adorable) before punching Yuqi lightly on her shoulder when Yuqi rolled her eyes at her feeble statement. Yuqi casts a playful glare at her girlfriend while rubbing her shoulder that had become a victim to Shuhua’s violence. Though it seemed to be a light punch, Yuqi thinks otherwise.

Or… maybe she was just weak.

“We should go to sleep. It’s already late.” Yuqi asserted, standing up to her feet and stretching her body to her heart’s content.

It was past 1AM and Yuqi sighs inaudibly in disappointment.

‘Can’t believe I wasted my time watching a crap movie.’

The brunette yawns and proceeds to switch off the lights of the living room, abruptly feeling a hand slipping into one of hers and another clutching onto the hem of her shirt. She didn’t mind Shuhua’s actions at the moment…

…until she had to go to the bathroom before going to bed. They stood in front of the slightly open bathroom door silently with Yuqi expecting Shuhua to release her grip on her.

“Why’d you stop?” Shuhua asks innocently instead with a raised eyebrow.

“I need to go to the bathroom,”

“…and?”

Yuqi stares at her in disbelief while Shuhua continues looking at her with a puzzled expression. Yuqi grabs a hold of the younger’s hands, prying them off of her arm gently.

“Shuhua, do you want to follow me into the toilet?”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“I need to pee. You want to watch me pee?”

“Ew no–“

“Exactly! Wait outside or go to bed first. I’ll be there in a second.”

And Yuqi chortled before closing the bathroom door.

‘She’s definitely scared.’

---

When Yuqi exits the bathroom, she jumped out of surprise when she immediately felt a grip on her arm as soon as she did so.

“Shuhua! You scared me!” Yuqi whisper-shouted, a hand over her chest to calm her racing heart.

“Well you scared me!” Shuhua retorted in the same tone.

“Why didn’t you go to bed first?”

“You said to either wait or sleep so I waited.”

“Thanks?” Yuqi answered questioningly.

“Whatever, let’s get to bed now.”

And then Shuhua tugs on her arm as a sign to start walking to their bedroom and Yuqi didn’t object. Shutting the door close, Yuqi trudged her way to their bed while Shuhua practically sprinted and was quick to cover herself or rather, hide, under the sheets.

Yuqi slips into bed beside her shortly after and just as she was about to switch off the night light, she notices Shuhua facing her, as if hesitating to say something. She retracts her hand from the switch, gazing softly at Shuhua.

“Do you want to leave the night light on?” Yuqi questioned her in a light, gentle tone.

Shuhua doesn’t reply until after a few seconds then she shakes her head, indicating that she wanted it switched off and Yuqi abides by her request. Then the room was dark, only dimly lit by the moonlight which shone through the curtains of the window.

“Goodnight kiss?” Shuhua requested, as usual and Yuqi never declines.

The brunette simpers and props up on her elbow, her eyes already locked onto Shuhua’s calamine pink lips (she’s kissed them more than enough times to memorise what exact colour they were) before slowly leaning in to place a chaste kiss on them with her own, lingering for a few seconds. They parted, exchanging silly smiles and giggles before wishing each other goodnight.

---

The night was all fine and peaceful until Yuqi got a little disturbed by the frequent movements on the other side of the bed. She shrugged it off at first, thinking Shuhua was trying to get into a comfortable sleeping position but after a few more times, she suspected something wasn’t quite right. Shuhua wasn’t the type who always moves in her sleep.

Yuqi wasn’t facing Shuhua but she stayed still in her position, eyes half opened as she was still drowsy from sleep, waiting for anymore movement. She figured maybe Shuhua would stop but when she heard low whimpers from her, Yuqi’s suspicions were right.

She turns to face Shuhua and her face turned into a frown when she sees Shuhua’s furrowed eyebrows, quivering lips and drips of sweat on the girl’s forehead.

‘A nightmare…’

She shouldn’t have let Shuhua watch the movie with her.

Yuqi moves closer to Shuhua, using a hand to wipe the drips of cold sweat on her forehead and using the other to rub the girl’s back gently in hopes to comfort her in her sleep. Seeing a deep frown forming on Shuhua’s face, Yuqi badly wants to wish the nightmare away.

“Shuhua…” She whispers.

Yuqi’s worry began to peak when Shuhua lets out a small cry, shaking her head violently and her limbs begin to flail uncontrollably. The brunette quickly sits up, trying to shake the other awake from her nightmare.

“Shuhua! Wake up! It’s just a bad–“ Yuqi groaned and gritted her teeth when she felt impact on her lips.

In the spur of the moment, she tasted iron inside , feeling the pulsing of the cut on her lower lip which began to bleed along with her tongue. She brushes the stinging pain away, Shuhua was more important.

“NO PLEASE!” Shuhua lets out an ear-piercing shriek as she sat up at the speed of light, eyes wide open as tears began to well in her eyes before trickling down her cheeks profusely like a waterfall.

Yuqi promptly wraps Shuhua in a tight, protective embrace with the said girl holding her back as if her life depended on it. She could feel the trembling body of her girlfriend and her muffled sobbing as she held Shuhua close. Shuhua had her face buried into Yuqi’s chest, her tears making the spot on Yuqi’s shirt damp.

“Shh, it’s okay, it’s okay. It’s just a bad dream… I’m here now,” Like a mother and her crying baby, Yuqi rocks her body back and forth to soothe Shuhua was still shaken.

She kisses the crown of Shuhua’s head and whispers sweet nothings into the younger’s ear, trying her utmost best to calm the girl. Her tactic worked as slowly but surely, Shuhua’s cries began to dissipate and she was no longer trembling. Yuqi stares sleepily at nowhere in particular, while Shuhua listens to the calm beating of her lover’s heart, eyes half opened, but she didn’t feel sleepy. Not after the terrible nightmare that haunted her even just thinking about it.

Shuhua loosens her grip on Yuqi and the older shakes her head to drive away the sleepiness.

“Hey, you okay now?”

Yuqi feels a subtle nod on her chest.

“Do you want water to drink?”

Another nod. Yuqi smiles faintly and ushers the girl to get up. As they got out of bed, Shuhua made sure to stick close to Yuqi, clinging onto the girl’s arm as they made their way to the kitchen. Shuhua trails after Yuqi like a lost puppy when she fetches her a cup of lukewarm water.

“Drink up,”

“Thanks…” Shuhua takes a hold of the cup and begins slowly downing the drink, feeling her tensed muscles relax at the intake of water.

Just as she finishes her drink, the sight of dried blood on Yuqi’s lips made Shuhua concerned. She wasn’t able to spot it before as the lights weren’t on and now that there is light, she was able to see it clearly and her eyebrows drew together in a frown. She puts away the cup in the sink and walks closer to Yuqi, her eyes trained on her lower lip.

“Yuqi, how did you get this?” Shuhua inquired, slowly raising a hand to let her thumb graze lightly against Yuqi’s lower lip.

Yuqi chuckles lightly and grabs Shuhua’s hand that was on her cheek, leaning into her girlfriend’s touch.

“Well, let’s just say you went berserk in your sleep and I became a victim.”

“What...?”

“It’s nothing babe, just a small cut. It’ll heal.”

“But I…” Shuhua trails off, and Yuqi went wide-eyed when she realises there were tears once again welling in Shuhua’s eyes.

Yuqi swiftly catches the falling tears, wiping them off and begins hushing the girl, repetitively stating that it was okay and that it was on accident.

“No no no, you’re not at fault. Stop crying okay? I’m here, I’m fine. It’s just a small cut, nothing major. Gosh, you’re such a crybaby.” Yuqi tries joking at the end, only to earn herself another smack on her shoulder.

“Okay okay, I’m sorry. For the last time, I’m perfectly fine.” Yuqi reassured, placing a kiss on Shuhua’s forehead and pinched the girl’s cheek lightly.

“Say, you up for some cartoons?” Yuqi suggested with a cheeky grin dancing on her lips, anticipating her girlfriend to agree to the idea.

“You’re so childish.” Shuhua wipes a tear from her eye and giggles at the juvenile suggestion.

“Hey, we all need cartoons in our lives.” Yuqi winks and Shuhua rolls her eyes.

---

Shuhua wasn’t sure how many episodes of Spongebob Squarepants she had watched but she was definitely getting tired from watching too much (she didn’t understand what was going on most of the time). She shifts her gaze to Yuqi  who lay beside her on the couch, sleeping soundly with an arm draped around her waist. Shuhua takes a full five minutes just tracing her girlfriend’s features with her eyes, remembering every detail on Yuqi’s face.

How stunning (and cute) she manages to look even while she was in a deep slumber never ceases to amaze Shuhua. Call Yuqi a work of art and she would agree a hundred and ten percent. Shuhua scoffs at herself mentally as she realises she’s whipped for the sleeping girl. Each time her eyes landed on the cut on Yuqi’s lower lip, she couldn’t help but feel a tinge of guilt.

Yuqi had done a lot to comfort her from her nightmare, giving her the best cuddles and kisses, eating popcorn while watching endless episodes of Spongebob Squarepants and reassuring her that she would protect Shuhua and be there for her. And she was more than thankful. Unable to contain herself, Shuhua goes in for a gentle kiss, careful not apply too much pressure on Yuqi’s injured lips. She withdraws and smiles to herself when she sees Yuqi scrunching her nose for a split second.

“I love you.” Shuhua mutters before planting a quick kiss on Yuqi’s chin, burying her face in the crook of Yuqi’s neck.

She tangles their legs together and felt content when she feels Yuqi pulling her even closer until there was no space between their bodies. She finally shuts her eyes and let herself succumb to the warmth of Yuqi’s body and the call of sleep, the faint sound of Spongebob Squarepants fading slowly in the background as a satisfied smile graced her lips.