Part 1

I Only Hate You a Little

Chae Hyungwon wiped his brow of sweat, finally taking a seat for the first time in hours. He took a glance your way as you did the same. “I hate holidays” Minhyuk groaned from next to you.

“No you don’t” You said, propping your feet up on an empty chair. You looked around the now empty restaurant, it was a quarter to one and you had just now finished your shift. You couldn’t help but feel saddened, it was Christmas Eve and you were spending it inside an old restaurant waiting on large families.

You looked to your co workers, who were just as worn as you. “Anyone down for a drink?” Changkyun, who was previously lying his head on a table, perked his head up, a faint smile starting to form. “I’m in” he said, resting his head back down.

You pulled yourself up, feeling the protest of your feet from standing. “Well we should start heading out if we want to get to the bars before they close.” You said, stretching your tired limbs. You fished your keys out of your bag and started to head for the door, the boys following. There were eight waiters who worked at the restaurant, only four of you were working tonight.

Hyunwoo, Hoseok, Jooheon, and Liza were all with their families tonight, leaving those of you who didn’t have plans, to work.


After-work drinks had somewhat become a custom between you and your coworkers, seeing as how you spent most of your time with one another. “I am so tired” Minhyuk slurred, resting his blonde head on your shoulder.

You felt the need to brush his head away, but he seemed so peaceful, despite being in the middle of a bar. The bar was dead, despite you and the three who followed. Changkyun sang horribly to various songs that the bartender had playing on loop. Hyungwon danced to himself in a drunken haze. And Minhyuk was now sleeping painfully on your shoulder, all while you were alert and hardly tipsy enough to forget the night.

The bartender, who was cleaning the rest of the night’s glasses nudged your other shoulder. “We’re closing soon, do you need me to call anybody to pick you sad sacks up?” You thought about it for a moment before you grabbed your phone out of your purse, waking Minhyuk up with your movements.

You lived with Liza and Minhyuk, a decision the three of you made after you found out you worked in the same restaurant. They were great roommates, you had to admit, even if they did have their flaws. Liza was messy but paid her rent on time. Minhyuk was neat and bought the food most days, but he was loud, especially at night. Though you couldn’t complain.

“Are you calling Hoseok?” Minhyuk groaned, waking up from his simple nap. You nodded. After the third dial of the call, Hoseok answered with a tired hum. “Y/N it’s two in the morning.” His voice said tiredly. You sighed “I know I know, and you’re probably at your parents. But, you’re the only one still in town that’s not drunk.” You admitted, lowering your voice.

“We’re sad and depressed because we don’t have family to go to for Christmas,” You guilt tripped him, earning a loud groan from the other side of the call. “Are you at the usual bar?” he finally asked after moments of silence. You hummed in response, waiting to hear the rest of what the man had to say. “I’ll be there in ten.” He said before hanging up.


You woke up with Minhyuk’s leg in your back. You turned over, seeing Minhyuk sprawled across your bed, his left arm dangling off the side and his mouth agape and snoring.

“Goodmorning beautiful” you groaned, pushing the foot away from your back. He sat up quickly, but instantly grabbed his head, from the hangover he had just acquired. You looked down at yourself, you were still in your wrinkled, smelly clothes from the night before. You glanced behind you to Minhyuk and pointed to the door. “Out, I’m changing.”

Minhyuk stood up slowly, still gripping tightly onto his head. “I’ll make some coffee.” He mumbled, staggering out the door. You smiled slightly to yourself, feeling your own headache to start.  

You grabbed an old t-shirt out of the hamper and a pair of sweatpants. It was a chilly morning, no doubt a new layer of snow had fallen during the night. You walked out of your room and into the kitchen, where Minhyuk was pouring a few cups of coffee. You looked at the table, where Hoseok sat on his phone.

“What are you doing here this early?” You asked.

Hoseok chuckled and read the time on his phone. “It’s almost noon.” He said, shaking his head. “Also, Merry Christmas you two.” He grinned, getting up to grab the coffee Minhyuk had made. “Where’s Liza?” Minhyuk asked, sipping the coffee greedily to get rid of the hangover sooner.

You took the coffee and set it beside you. “She’s at her mother’s house with her new boyfriend.” You rolled your eyes, watching as Hoseok and Minhyuk listened in closer. “When did this happen?” Hoseok asked. The boys and you were very close, but not as close as you and Liza. But as the only two girls in your friend group, the two of you bonded very quickly.

“About two months ago, she didn’t want to tell you because she was afraid you guys would freak out.” you watched as the boys exchanged glances. “Have you met him? When will we be able to?” The questions came in rapidly. You put up a hand to silence them. “I only know his name, it’s Yoo Kihyun. She said she might bring him around if we plan to do something today.” You added.

Hoseok shrugged “It’s Christmas, I think the others are coming back later tonight, maybe we can plan a late dinner.” You looked at Minhyuk, who, by his expression, seemed to be on board. “Y/N and I will get the food, Hoseok, you start cleaning up and contact everyone.” He looked at you and grinned “Come on Y/N, get into the Christmas mood, we have Christmas cheer to dish up.”

You groaned from his cheeriness but grabbed your keys and wallet anyway. “Let’s go”


Everyone had agreed to come around nine, despite having exhausting days with their families. The three of you had spent hours trying to prepare a large enough last minute meal to feed everyone. Hoseok was the one to set the table and put up hasty Christmas decorations to make it seem a little more comforting in the small apartment.

Changkyun and Hyungwon arrived together, taking a carpool from their apartment on the other side of town. They brought store bought cookies that they had so obviously just bought. Changkyun looked down at the sorry cookies and grinned, embarrassed. “They sold out of sugar cookies and oatmeal raisin was the only kind they had.” The young man excused.

Minhyuk brushed it off and took the cookies happily. “Sit down, we’re still waiting on Hyunwoo, Jooheon, and Liza.” He said, but Hoseok decided to add in. “And her new boy toy.” He laughed, watching as the others went silent. Before they could say anything else, there was a knock on the door.

You ran to go open it, revealing Hyunwoo, who was holding a couple bottles of wine. Seeing the wine you realized you had completely forgot about one of the most important parts of a party. You brought him into a hug, happy to see him. “Sorry I’m a bit late, I ran into a couple of people while I was at the store.” He looked behind him, Liza and her boyfriend walked up, nearly on cue.

You averted your attention to the new arrivals. Liza was relatively short, not much more than you were. She had straight black hair that flowed over her shoulders and dark, kind eyes. She was very beautiful you had to admit. 
Her new boyfriend, the man that went by Kihyun, was just as gorgeous. He had black hair that seemed to swoop just above his eyes. He had a sharp features, but even those were softened due to his kind looking eyes. You looked away to find Minhyuk’s gaze, mouthing to him to come over.

Minhyuk quickly got up to greet Liza and Kihyun. He was better with people than you were. You sighed to yourself and took the wine bottles from Hyunwoo and told him to follow you.


After dinner, the seven of you watched from the kitchen, sipping wine and talking about Liza and Kihyun as they sat in the living room watching a movie. “How long do you think this one will last?” Hyungwon whispered, taking a sip afterwards. Jooheon, who arrived just minutes prior, nudged him in the ribs. “She actually looks happy this time, don’t jinx it, asshat.” He muttered, pouring some more wine.

“Hopefully they won’t be as loud as her and Jungkook were.” You said quietly. Hyunwoo laughed dryly, watching the pair closely. “Are you jealous, Y/N?” he smirked, ruffling your hair teasingly. You shot a non serious glare his way and proceeded to fix your messed up locks. “Why would I be?” you grumbled. You looked at the bottom of the wine glass and noted that it was nearly empty, you downed the rest.

Changkyun, his always nosy self, cleared it for you. “Liza seems to always have a boyfriend and out of the three years we’ve all known each other, you haven’t had a single one.” he said. You thought about it for a moment, maybe you were a bit envious that Liza was always able to get a boyfriend, but you had never really thought about it.

You laughed it off. “If I wanted a boyfriend, I’d be able to get one quickly. I just have been too concerned about college to care.” You huffed, pushing your now empty glass towards Minhyuk. He shook his head, seeing your now flustered self.

“We’re not getting drunk again, every time we get drunk, you force me to watch some horrible chick flick and I fall asleep in your bed. Your bed is really uncomfortable.” He complained, but you pushed the glass even further. “We can watch a comedy if you fill it up.” You said, your tone was on the verge of harsh.

Minhyuk rolled his eyes, emptying the bottle into your glass. Changkyun leaned into Hoseok and whispered in his ear. “She’s cranky when she hasn’t had in forever.” he whispered. Hoseok only nodded his head, remembering the last time you told him about your last hook up. It had to have been around seven months. You took small sips of the wine this time, occasionally looking at Kihyun on the couch. He and Liza were talking excitedly about something and you were itching to find out about what.

They went like that for a few moments before Liza exploded from the couch and ran to you and Minhyuk from the kitchen. She grabbed both of your arms and pulled you into Minhyuk’s room, which was the closest to the kitchen.

You stared at her, shocked by the sudden outburst. She smiled widely. “What’s up?” Minhyuk asked, a little scared to find out what Liza had up her sleeve.

“So Kihyun’s roommate just moved out, leaving him short on rent.” She paused, seeing as the two of you were bracing yourself with what the girl was about to hit you two with. “What if he moved in with us? We’d all have to pay less rent and it’s more help around the house! Plus, he’d sleep in my room.” She said it quickly, like ripping a bandaid off.

“Wait, you seriously want to bring in another person to live here, just like that?” Minhyuk loosely laughed, wondering if the girl in front of him was joking. But she wasn’t.  “We don’t even know him!” He exclaimed, throwing his hands up.

You shrugged, you enjoyed the idea of paying less rent. “We could give him a test run. Have him live here for a few weeks and see how it goes” You offered, seeing as Liza’s face lit up even more. “Thank you thank you. Merry Christmas.” She cheered, running out of the room.

Minhyuk looked at you, confused. “Are you serious?” You shrugged, leaning against the wall. “I suppose, we’ll have to see how it goes though. You have to admit, having more help around here and paying less rent sounds nice. Also, he also doesn’t seem like a bad guy. You know that iit takes a lot to make Liza that happy.” You watched Minhyuk’s face realize that you were right.

“You’re right, this will be interesting.” You laughed as you walked out of his room to enjoy the rest of the party.


You hated Yoo Kihyun. No, you didn’t hate. You despised him. He had found a way into every single part of your life. You found out that he was in your Creative Writing lecture class on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. You also found out that Liza had gotten him a second job working at the same restaurant that the rest of you did.  He also breathed your same air nearly every waking moment of the day.

And you hated it.

He ate your food without asking. He was slightly rude and pompous because “mommy and daddy are big and rich.” He never did laundry on time and the dishes were never done right when he did them. He was also so perfect that you hated him for every tiny little thing wrong with him.

He was an amazing singer and dancer, you also figured this out when he arrived at the same studio you practiced at on the weekends. Some how, in some weird turn of events, he was every where. Which was another thing you hated about him, he aspired to be a performer, much like your own self.

Every perfect thing about him was annoying.


You were the one who had to train him. He started work a couple weeks after Christmas and about a week after he moved in. At this point, you still couldn’t tell what kind of person he was. At first he seemed like a really nice guy, especially towards Liza. But as the days went on, you saw that maybe he wasn’t exactly the kindest man in the bunch. 

He had made snide comments about the furniture and decor, claiming that it was tacky and gross looking. He would also decide to make smart remarks towards everything either you or Minhyuk had said.

Speaking of which, your fellow roommate couldn’t stand the other man either, especially when it came to work. He was an overachiever, plain and simple. Your bosses loved him and the customers seemed to be instantly drawn to his charisma, something that belonged to Hoseok and Minhyuk prior.

You swung around tables, delivering plates to tables one by one. When you had only three plates left on your tray, you slipped, nearly dropping the plates all over yourself. Once you got back to the kitchen, he waiting by the door, shaking his head. “Nice work twinkle toes.” He muttered as you walked passed. You rolled your eyes and continued past, ignoring him.

He had also made quite a few comments to Minhyuk about his hair color. Making blond jokes and jokes about intelligence. The jokes could have been funny, but coming from him, they seemed ignorant and rude.

You convinced yourself that he was just horrible with jokes…


You, Minhyuk, and Hoseok sat in the back, watching Kihyun work with ease. Hoseok let out an annoyed groan. Grimacing as Kihyun talked to customers with a fake smile. “I can’t believe you’re letting him living with you.” He looked to you and Minhyuk. Minhyuk shrugged, turning to you. “He’s stolen a few of my shirts, and he never does anything to help in the house.” Minhyuk now looked at Kihyun. “He plays his music really late too, I talked to him about it and he just laughed in my face.

Kihyun walked over to the table the three of you were sitting at. He looked to you and pointed to a few tables that were dirty “Maybe you should clean those instead of sitting here doing nothing.” He said, seemingly annoyed.

You opened your mouth, clearly angered. You stood up and glared at him. “I’m your superior, Kihyun, you’re still in your training days.” You snapped. Kihyun shrugged his shoulders “Maybe I would listen if you actually acted like one.” He turned towards the tables and pointed to them once more.

“They’re still dirty.” He claimed before walking towards the kitchens. You stuck up your middle finger as the man left your sight. 

You hated Yoo Kihyun.