Letting Go

Toothbrush

It's nighttime, a foggy night with the sounds of traffic from the busy streets of Seoul humming in Seulgi's ears.

She planned on going to bed early, but she couldn't quite bring herself to go to bed. One moment it was only eight P.M. and then she blinked at it was midnight, so the monolid girl begrudgingly forced herself into the bathroom knowing she had work the next morning.

Not thinking, Seulgi reached into the little cup they kept on the bathroom sink to grab her toothbrush. As she was about to put toothpaste on it, she froze.

Purple.

Seulgi thought she had already gotten rid of that damn toothbrush, yet here it was. Every time she glanced at it she'd just think that she'd ought to throw it away, that it didn't belong here anymore. 

Unlike Seulgi, Joohyun was good at keeping track of things. Half of Joohyun's things seemed to be half a decade old, and her toothbrush was no exception.

Five years ago, after they signed the lease on their apartment, Joohyun had forced them to go to the drugstore. Holding up the purple toothbrush Seulgi now holds, she smiled brightly at the younger girl. 

"To the start of a new era!" Joohyun had exclaimed, tightening her grip on Seulgi's hand. Seulgi had given her girlfriend a confused smile.

"Babe, it's just a toothbrush," Seulgi said, causing Joohyun to lightly hit the younger girl teasingly.

Seulgi's own words replayed over and over again. Taunting her. It's just a toothbrush.

And then her mind is drifting again. She wonders how long Joohyun waited to buy a new one, or if she waited at all. Maybe she bought one as soon as she moved out from their apartment. Maybe she still hadn't bought a new permanent brush, but used those cheap disposable brushes at their dentist's office as if to hold out a hope that she'd return to get her old one. Maybe she was as reluctant as Seulgi is now.

Her hands are trembling now. 

Looking out the window, Seulgi wonders where Joohyun is. Maybe she's watching a Rachel McAdams movie or on a blind date, seeing as Joohyun has officially been single for four months. Maybe, just maybe, she's thinking about Seulgi.

Looking at the purple toothbrush, Seulgi thought again. Was she really ready to let go? To put an end to an era? Their era? She had always avoided throwing the toothbrush away, because then there was no going back, and Seulgi wasn't sure if she was ready. 

Was she ready?

Would it feel too real?

Well, it was real.

It's just a toothbrush after all.

Taking a deep breath, Seulgi leaves the bathroom, dropping the toothbrush in the trash. 

She was too tired to brush her teeth anyway.