Next Page

Next Page

In the morning, the halls were already crowded with other students, chatting happily among themselves. Only a few can be seen in their classrooms. The light air that blew through the slightly ajar school windows made the tall girl and her two friends look like goddesses walking through the school halls. As always, the students would stare in awe at their beauty. The goddess-like girls consist of Chou Tzuyu, Son Chaeyoung, and Kim Dahyun. 

"Wow! Tzuyu is really out-of-this world." One guy compliments under his breath to his friend. Both can feel their heart beating just at the sight of the three girls. 

Tzuyu walks into her classroom, followed by her other two friends. They go set their bags in their assigned seats and then gather around to chit-chat before class starts. The classroom was empty expect for one other person who was sitting by the window, reading a pretty thick book while listening to music.

The girls talk about senseless topics when the constant sound of pages turning finally got to Tzuyu. 

"Oh my god. Why does she have to flip the pages so god damn loudly?" Tzuyu glares at the back of the person reading. 

"She's reading. Of course, she's gonna have to turn the page!" Chaeyoung burst into a short laughter, playfully slapping her tall friend's shoulder. 

"I hate reading. How can someone actually read a book that big?" Tzuyu makes a face in horror, causing her friends to chuckle. 

"Jihyo was her name right?" Chaeyoung questions, looking over her shoulders.

"Park Jihyo." Dahyun confirms.

"Ah. Park Jihyo. She lives a few blocks away from me." Tzuyu says.

"How can you read with music on? I can't focus that well when I do that." Chaeyoung pouts as if it was something everyone can do but her.

"Not sure." Tzuyu responds, blankly staring at Jihyo read by the window.  

The other students starts to make their way in one by one and that indicates the start of history class. Throughout class, Tzuyu finds herself glancing over at Jihyo once in a while, probably because she was already bored of looking at the teacher all the time. Somehow, Jihyo listened attentively and looked like she was not even sleepy at all from all the boring history lectures. Tzuyu saw the way her bangs fell flawlessly, covering up her rosy cheeks. Jihyo's eyes were like flowers blooming every time the swaying trees allowed the sunlight to outline her facial features, mostly her lips.

Just how much more did I not notice? 

"Tzuyu." The teacher calls out loud, tapping the board for her attention. "Are you understanding all this? Is there something interesting about Jihyo?" He nods his head towards the said girl.

Tzuyu is still not hearing what the teacher said. She continues to stare at Jihyo while everyone seems to be looking at her.

"Tzuyu?" He calls again.

Tzuyu's desk partner nudges her. "Hey." She whispers to the called girl.

The tall girl blinks a bit then sees all the eyes on her, including Jihyo. 

"Y-Yes?" She smiles shyly.

"You seem to have been staring quite attentively at Jihyo." He raises an eyebrow.

Tzuyu's eyes quiver. "No, sir. I was just...wondering why she reads such a big b-book. I mean no one really reads nowadays." Tzuyu ends with a nervous laugh.

The teacher lets out a chuckle. "That's what makes her smart. Maybe you should learn from her."

The class lets out a snicker and class continues with Tzuyu holding back the urge to let her eyes wonder again.

 

 

 


During lunch time, Tzuyu heads to the library for some work time instead. She enters to find that the place is not as occupied which is nice because she values her quiet time as well. Tzuyu has to look for a book to help her write her essay, so she wonders from isle to isle searching for a certain last name. Upon the last few isles, she finally finds the one book she has been looking for, but there was also another person in the isle.

Tzuyu scoots a bit closer to the girl who seems to be reading or scanning the pages. 

She clears . "About what happened in class..." She takes a small breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything."

Jihyo sneaks a small smile, her eyes still on the pages of the book. "It's fine. I'm sure you were pressured from everyone."

"Yeah.. I was...a little." Tzuyu awkwardly picks at the book in her hand to hopefully help her calm herself.

"Are you...gonna use that book?" Jihyo turns to look at Tzuyu.

The tall girl doesn't have to look down all that much since the other girl wasn't that short either. To Tzuyu, Jihyo really had star-filled eyes. They just seem to sparkle even in the shadows of the light.

"T-This?" She manages to stutter. "I just need it to help me with this essay I'm writing, but you can use it. My essay is not due until the end of the week anyway." Tzuyu hands the book over to her.

"Thanks. I'll make sure to return it to you by tomorrow." Jihyo smiles another lovely smile before going back to what she was doing before.

Tzuyu is about to walk away when she sees a book that catches her eyes...in Jihyo's arms.

"You like that book?" She asks quite shyly.

"Candor?" Jihyo's eyes seem to light up at the mention of the book. "It's one of my favorite actually."

"I like it too. Probably my only favorite." Tzuyu lets out a soft chuckle.

"So that means you're into a little romance?" Jihyo's eyes soften as they stare into the taller girl's eyes.

"Maybe a little." She smirks. 

They stand in silence. Tzuyu wants to leave, but her legs just seem to be frozen in place.

Jihyo is finished looking at what she was looking at and soon walks away. Tzuyu looks over and quickly follows the other girl.

"So...I always wanted to ask...why do you like reading so much?" Tzuyu asks.

Jihyo glances at the tall girl through the corner of her eye. "It's just relaxing I guess."

Tzuyu saw the way she looked when she said that. Jihyo placed the softest smile on her face with a simple statement, but there was sincerity behind it and it's not something you see a lot nowadays.

 

 

 

The next day at lunch, Tzuyu is seen chatting with her two close friends. 

"Did you finish that essay for Mrs. Kang?" Chaeyoung asks the tall girl after taking a sip of her drink.

Tzuyu shakes her head. "I didn't even start." 

Dahyun gasps. "Such a bad girl." She shakes her head in disappointment.

Chaeyoung rests her head on the tall girl's shoulder. "I just need help with my last paragraph." She pouts.

Just across the lunch room, Tzuyu can see Jihyo with her eyes on the book in front of her. As always, she looked like no other; Her lips glimmered with pink, her earrings would flash a light whenever she pushes the strands of hair behind her ear. Jihyo was not alone though. She sat with two other girls, Nayeon and Jeongyeon. 

Now, Tzuyu is fazed. She can't hear her friends until Chaeyoung pokes her side.

"Hey! Giant!" She and Dahyun laugh at their little tactic.

Tzuyu sends them a glare and they quiet down their laugh. She wonders again to Jihyo and this time Jihyo's eyes are kept on her. They lock eye contact for a few seconds.

What was this feeling? 

Tzuyu can feel herself not wanting to look away from her as if she fell under her spell. The silent spell that spoke through her eyes. 

 

 

 

After school, Tzuyu hurries to meet up with Yeri in the library for a partner project. When she has been waiting for about five minutes, Tzuyu gets a call from Yeri saying that she can't make it. 

"That's great." Tzuyu sighs. The project was due the same day as the essay and she didn't even start her paper yet. She starts off with her paper first, but her mind is not cooperating with her today.

"Damn it." She frustratingly presses 'delete' on her laptop over and over. 

Someone clears their throat. "You still need this?"

Tzuyu is startled. She stares from the book to the person. "Y-Yeah. You're just on time." She smiles, taking the book.

Jihyo responds with a smile before attempting to leave. Tzuyu did need help with her paper, but her body acted on its own. 

"Wait." Tzuyu says, but her hand is already holding the girl's wrist. "C-Can you help me with something?"

Jihyo is surprised by the sudden grip. "Sure..." She then looks at the hand holding her wrist.

"Sorry." Tzuyu says, retreating her hand. 

Jihyo can feel something inside of her moving. Her heart feels a bit ticklish all of a sudden. She still takes a seat next to Tzuyu and leans in a bit to see what the girl asked for help on.

Tzuyu shyly smiles. "I was wondering if you can help me with this paper I'm writing. Just this paragraph."

"Sure." Jihyo smiles widely as she reads what Tzuyu has so far. 

They work for a while. More like, Jihyo worked for a while. Tzuyu kinda sat back and tried to listen to what Jihyo was saying, but her eyes just can't keep off the girl next to her. 

"You get what I'm saying right?" Jihyo looks at her always with a smile. 

Tzuyu nervously laughs. "Yeah, of course." 

She starts to type and type her paragraphs as Jihyo stares, looking impressed with her computer skills.

"Just ask if you need any more help okay? I'm just gonna read now." Jihyo says, taking out a pretty thick book out of her backpack and sets it down in front of her. She props her head up on her hand and starts reading. 

Tzuyu is wearing her glasses today since she didn't feel like putting in her contact lenses. The book that Jihyo gave Tzuyu is the book with the information to write her paper. Tzuyu now looks like a hard working student, flipping the pages in her book and typing at such speed. 

Jihyo glances at her to find herself not being able to focus on her book. The tall girl next to her is just a distraction now. 

She looks really cute in those glasses. 

The round spectacles brought out Tzuyu's puppy-like eyes. Jihyo lies her head down, still staring at the girl. She notices the small details of Tzuyu; Her thin, pink and glossy lips. Her eyes that resembles ones of a doll. Her nose that pointed downwards slightly. It all seems perfectly different from what she has seen before. Even in her own stories she could not have imagined someone like her. Soon, Jihyo can feel herself drifting off into sleep with time. 
 

Tzuyu lets out a sigh and leans back into her chair, admiring her work that she did in the span of thirty minutes. She smiles and glances over at Jihyo. As soon as her eyes laid on her, she can feel a clutch in her heart as if she refused to let it speed up. Jihyo slept with a soft expression on her face; Her lips were partly open as her breaths faintly escaped. 

Tzuyu took a brief scan around the library to see that they were the only one still there besides the librarian who was reading at the front. It's getting dark as well. 

"Are you done?" 

She turns at the speed of light to see Jihyo awake and staring at her with a tired look in her eyes. "Yeah. We can go now." Tzuyu tides everything up and stands up to leave with Jihyo following. 

They walk in silence out of the school. Tzuyu really wanted to start a conversation but she didn't know where to start. As they walked pass the gates, Tzuyu felt the need to say something just to fill the silent air. 

"I guess you were really tired waiting for me in the library. You didn't have to wait for me.... I guess I should've said that before." She starts to trail off at the end, realizing that she basically made Jihyo stay with her.

Jihyo weakly smiles at her. "It's fine. I wasn't planning to go home right away either." 

Tzuyu nods and they continue walking, passing the street lights until they stop an intersection. 

"Thank you for today." Jihyo says with a smile. 

Tzuyu has confusion written all over her face. "I didn't do anything though."

Jihyo's eyes wonder everywhere but Tzuyu's eyes. "I guess just being with you...was fun."

Tzuyu slowly can't help but smile. "Honestly, same here."

Silence takes over as the sweetness was a bit much to take in.

"Well, I should go now." Jihyo slowly backs away and then walks away.

Tzuyu comes to realize that Jihyo lives in the same neighborhood as her, but why is she walking that way?

"Jihyo!" Tzuyu jogs after her. "Where are you going at this time?"

"Just for a little walk by Han River." She says a bit surprised.

"Let's go." 

Jihyo is dragged by Tzuyu. "Where?"

Tzuyu abruptly stops and stares at Jihyo with a gentle smile. "To Han River."

 

 

Once they have sat down at a bench under a lamp post, everything seems a bit more at ease. The river was still a bit occupied by some late-night runners, but it was mostly quiet. Jihyo is still a bit baffled about Tzuyu's sudden interest in her whereabouts. 

"I don't really know why I did that earlier." Tzuyu quietly apologies.

"Me either."

More silence between the two. The sound of the waves was the only thing speaking. 

"I just didn't want you do be alone at night." Tzuyu expresses.

Jihyo is amazed at how many times Tzuyu has made her feel giddy on the inside in just one day.

"I always come here alone." Jihyo states. "It helps me think more clearly."

"What do you think about?" Tzuyu asks.

"About a lot of things."

Tzuyu waits a while before asking again. "Are they sad things?"

"Sometimes they are sad, happy, mad, and even sometimes I think about moments like this." Jihyo seems immersed in her own thoughts, only staring at the river.

Tzuyu is about to ask again when Jihyo beats her to it. "Remember when you asked why I read such a big book in class today?"

Tzuyu bashfully rubs her arm. "Yeah..sorry about that.."

Jihyo pats Tzuyu's hand. "It's okay. Well, reading is fun if you can understand it like reading between the lines to see what the author is actually saying."

"I don't want to offend you, but I hate reading." Tzuyu confesses.

"You know for me reading is like putting yourself in another world where you don't have to worry about anything for hours." Jihyo is now looking at her. "Same with writing. I also like to write my own stories."

Tzuyu chuckles softly. "Is that so? I'm finding out so much about you in just one day. What do find fun about writing?" Tzuyu is asking so much questions. She just wants to sit there and listen to the girl's smooth yet strong voice.

"When I write, it also feels like I'm in another world, creating my own people, seeing the good and the bad, and knowing the end. I don't have to think about anything else." 

Tzuyu is surprised at how deep the girl actually is. She has a soft heart and a hard mind. Something that just happens to capture her in this moment.

"I hate reading." 

Jihyo laughs. "I know. Stop telling me or I will get offended." Her smile widens.

Tzuyu didn't finish her sentence. "I hate reading, but I want our story to be the thickest and longest book in the whole world." 

Jihyo's heart fails to keep a steady pace. She feels herself blush since she can read in between Tzuyu's words, but just to make sure she asks. "W-What are you talking about?"

Tzuyu bravely holds Jihyo's hands. "I know you can read between the lines. What am I saying?" 

"I'm not sure...A-Are you confessing to me?" Jihyo bites down on her lower lip, hoping what she sense is correct.

"I think I like you. There's just something about you..." Tzuyu smiles, revealing her cute dimples. "If you don't mind, let's start on the next page."

Jihyo laughs because she feels like Tzuyu's words are tickling her from the inside. "Maybe the next chapter would be best." Jihyo slowly leans in. Tzuyu instinctively closes her eyes, waiting for the fireworks to spark in between them. They allow their feelings to do all the work. The heat of the kiss was as cool as the night while their lips glided smoothly among each other just like the waves in the Han River.  

 

~~~

Welcome to the end! Sorry if some of you readers want a sequel or a continuation, but I feel like it's better to keep it short and sweet. I still have to catch up on my other stories as well, so I'll just write small ideas as one shots. Hope to see you again!