final

Ten Years

Five years after Juyeon had left her in Daegu for Seoul, Jiyeon, too, had gone to Seoul for university. Truthfully, she tried to seek her out on the streets she walked every day of her college life. 

 

But Seoul was a big city. 

 

She eventually gave up, also reminding herself that if their promise was kept, she would finally get to see Juyeon in another five years. 

 

 

It was the start of summer, finally dry enough for Jiyeon and Juyeon to lay on the grass hill that overlooks their small town. 

 

“I can’t wait until I can grow my hair out past my shoulders!” Jiyeon exclaimed as Juyeon softly giggled, propping her head up on her arm as she looked over at her friend. 

 

Juyeon loved Jiyeon. It wasn’t a sudden realization, it was gradual. After spending practically every day with her, Juyeon knew she was in love when they entered high school. She felt her heart beat faster whenever Jiyeon would laugh or smile, her heart drop whenever Jiyeon was crying or hurt. She would do anything for her. 

 

“I’ll miss you.” She heard Juyeon whisper quietly. 

 

Jiyeon sat up slowly. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

Juyeon sighed as she sat up too, hugging her knees to her chest. “I’m moving to Seoul.”

 

In that moment, it had felt like the world was put on pause besides the two of them. 

 

“When?”

 

“Tomorrow.”

 

It was silent for a long time. Long enough that the sun had already set when it felt like the sun was just blazing above them. 

 

“How long have you known?”

 

“A month ago.”

 

Juyeon spoke before the girl next to her could. “Promise me something.”

 

Jiyeon stared blankly as she picked at the grass in front of her. She didn’t want to respond. 

 

“Promise me that we’ll meet back here, on this hill, in ten years.”

 

Juyeon was Jiyeon’s best friend. The only person she wanted to be with for the rest of her life. Juyeon didn’t know, but Jiyeon had been in love with her since the tall girl piggy backed her to the nurse’s office after a bad fall during gym class.

 

“Promise me, Jiyeon.” She finally looked at Juyeon, hearing the tears in her voice before she sees them falling down her cheeks. 

 

Would she had stayed if I confessed? That question would haunt her. 

 

Juyeon stood up to leave, accepting that Jiyeon wasn’t going to promise her. 

 

“Goodbye, Jiyeon.”

 

The next day, Jiyeon cried behind her room window as she watched the big moving trucks drive down the street, away from their small town.

 

 

Jiyeon checked her watch for the ninth time. The sun was about to set while she waited on the newly cemented pathway of the grassy hill she loved as a teen.

 

Her town was still as small as she remembered, but with a few big buildings here and there. 

 

She hadn’t really been back ever since graduating high school, not even to visit her parents that stayed behind. 

 

Jiyeon didn’t know what to expect. Even after ten years, it still got to her how she never said anything to Juyeon before she walked away. 

 

She sighed, resting her arms on the guard rail. Who knows if Juyeon would even show up, she left her hanging on that promise to be back here in ten years.

 

Jiyeon mostly kept to herself all of university, making a couple close friends, but her heart still belonged to Juyeon. 

 

She watched the skies turn dark blue as she leaned against the railing. Maybe it was time to head back.

 

“Your hair is longer.”

 

Jiyeon turned to the voice. A gasp caught in as she took in the girl in front of her. 

 

(Juyeon was taller, which Jiyeon couldn’t believe because she was already so tall before. She had colored hair and more defined cheekbones. She was wearing a denim jacket over a crop top, along with some black leggings.)

 

“What are you staring at? I’m not a ghost.” She snapped Jiyeon out of her reverie. 

 

“I just can’t believe you’re here.”

 

“I made a promise, didn’t I? Although, I don’t recall you actually promising me back.”

 

Jiyeon dropped her eyes to the ground. “I’m sorry.”

 

“What for?”

 

“Not saying goodbye.” Jiyeon answered quietly. She heard Juyeon step closer to her. 

 

“I thought I deserved it for not telling you sooner.”

 

Jiyeon looked back up, not realizing how close Juyeon was. She locked eyes with her. “You didn’t.” 

 

She faltered under Juyeon’s hard and long stare. “I would have stayed if you told me to.” She whispered, an unreadable look flashing across her face. 

 

Jiyeon stared back, noticing the hidden meaning in Juyeon’s words. The feelings she buried years ago were starting to bubble back up, but with a bittersweet feeling.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

Jiyeon blinked back the tears that were fighting to drop. She had no response. It was too late for her response to matter now.

 

It was quiet, just like the moment ten years ago when Jiyeon’s world fell apart. She fell back, the guard rail supporting her as she choked back her small sobs. 

 

Juyeon looked down as she kicked at a stray rock on the ground. “After a couple years in Seoul, it took everything in me not to come back here to look for you.” 

 

Jiyeon looked at Juyeon through watery eyes as she continued.

 

“I thought about you every day for a long time. Where you would be after graduation, what you would be doing, if you had been thinking of me too.”

 

Juyeon took a step closer, settling herself against the guard rail next to Jiyeon. “I even came back five years ago, but everyone told me you went off to Seoul for university just a week before.”

 

Jiyeon let out a shaky sigh at the bad timing and the possible meet that could have happened five years ago.

 

“I wish I could have told you then.”

 

Jiyeon turned to her side, her face inches away from Juyeon’s. “Me too.” She whispered as Juyeon moved closer, touching her nose against hers. 

 

“You have my heart. Always have and always will.” Juyeon whispered, gently kissing Jiyeon’s tear stained cheeks before kissing her lips softly.

 

Jiyeon wrapped her arms around Juyeon in a tight hug, holding her close, swearing to never let her go again.