Like a Dream

The Warmest Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Winter YuJae fic inspired by the lovely YuJae photos from Road to Japan~ It's my first time writing for YuJae as well as the first time in forever that I'll be writing a lighthearted fic, so please bear with me even if it's bad. I've been wanting to try out new ships and genres as of late, but don't worry, I'll keep working on my YuTae stuff, too. But in the meantime, please settle for this? ^^"

Almost eleven hours after departing from LA, an exhausted, freezing Jaehyun finally sets foot onto Japanese soil just past noon. He feels disgustingー his face is puffy, his hair is unkempt, and his stomach is still in knots from the bumpy landingー but he’s made it to his destination in one piece nonetheless.

Osaka, Japan.

It’s ing negative fourteen degrees outside and much colder than he’d like it to be inside, but Jaehyun can’t bring himself to be too upset since the sight of the frost-covered Osaka Bay and the city in the distance is beyond breathtaking. “Wow... I’m really here,” he whispers to himself with something akin to childlike wonder. As if dazed by the beautiful preview of the adventure that lies ahead, he clumsily fishes his phone out from his jacket pocket. “Yeah, I’ve got to get a picture of this...”

His dulled senses slowly begin to awaken after a couple of Instagram-worthy snapshots. Anticipation floods his veins with a pleasant warmth as he gradually recalls all the things he read and heard about the famous city. He’ll only have nine days to explore it, but he’s determined to experience as much as possible. Shopping, clubbing, eating, sightseeing, learningー he’s looking forward to everything.

Eager to get his adventure started but not sure what to do until his friend-slash-tour guide arrives, the Korean man readjusts his grip on his backpack, takes a deep breath, and goes on a hunt for the rest of his luggage and something hot to fill his belly.

After twenty minutes, three amazing banana hot chocolates, and four or so peach and earl grey cakes, Jaehyun decides that he’s never ever going to an American Starbucks again because the Starbucks in Japan has utterly, irrevocably ruined him in the best way possible. He’s seriously considering going in for another splurge when he hears a familiar, adorable voice call out in Korean, “Hyunnie-ah, I’m here!”

A happy smile tugs on Jaehyun’s lips at the sound. He spins around to find a panting, doe-eyed man with hair as white as snow and flushed cheeks leaning against a pillar not even a meter away. “Ah, I’m really sorry I’m late!” the elder huffs out as he makes his way over to his childhood friend.

Jaehyun tugs the other man into a tight embrace. “It’s good to see you, Taeyong-hyung. Skype doesn’t do your gorgeous face justice,” the younger jokes, his eyes crinkling fondly when his friend weakly smacks his chest.

“Charming. Is that how people flirt in America?” Taeyong clicks his tongue critically but stands up on his tiptoes to gift his tall friend with a quick peck on the cheek a moment later. “Missed you, Hyunnie-ah. Now let’s grab lunch, unless you’d rather sleep off all those empty calories first? I hope you didn’t spoil your appetite...”

Jaehyun squirms a little like a contrite child as Taeyong switches into fussy mother mode. He can practically feel his already cold-flushed cheeks get even redder from shame; he really didn’t mean to get so carried away with his snacking, and he knows that the other man must be unimpressed by all the dirty trays piled up on the tiny table next to them. “I still have room for more, hyung. Don’t worry,” Jaehyun says softly, hoping his cute poutiness will be enough to dispel his friend’s annoyance.

“Ah, and that’s why you’re my precious Honey Pig,” Taeyong responds with a simple sigh, reaching down to swat the younger’s bottom without any real force. He cackles when Jaehyun lets out an overdramatic yelp. “Come on, you big baby, let’s get out of here. I’ll treat you to ramen. Ten will meet us at the restaurant...”

Three days later, Jaehyun sits in the spacious guest bedroom of Taeyong and Ten’s shared apartment, checking off the names of various attractions, temples and shrines, restaurants, and shops the couple has taken him to since he got to Japan. The Korean man puts the journal away after completing this small task and ponders where he should ask to be taken next, resting his chin atop folded hands.

Actually, maybe he should figure out an agenda for today first. Now that the weekend’s over, Taeyong’s back to teaching Korean lessons at a local international school while Ten’s busy running dance workshops at his studio. Therefore, neither is around to tour him. Jaehyun leans back in his seat, weighing his options. The rational side of him is telling him to just settle for a day in and not go out without his friends; his Japanese skills and sense of direction are pretty awful, so it’s likely he won’t get very far should he choose to leave the apartment. Besides, the weather’s also in the negatives again today, and he’s not sure if his body is ready for more frostbite, honestly...

However, his adventurous side is screaming at him to go explore the local area to ease some of his deadly boredom. According to Ten, there are tons of cool cafes and little shops and such in the general vicinity. Maybe he could check some of those places out? He has an empty stomach, plenty of money to burn, and tons of souvenirs to buy for the people back home, anyway...

After a few more minutes of serious deliberation, Jaehyun ultimately opts to text his friends his plans and prepares to head out.

With the help of good old Google Maps, Jaehyun eventually finds himself outside a quaint, hole-in-the-wall, Western-style cafe twenty minutes later. Truthfully speaking, he has no idea how to pronounce its name, nor can he really read what’s being advertised on the outside printed menu board since pretty much everything’s in Japanese and/or obscured by dense winter frost. But these are all just minor impediments in reality, the Korean man tells himself somewhat optimistically. He’ll be okay. There are some numbered pictures here and there, after all.

Before he became fluent in English, Jaehyun had managed to order food alone just fine in America by mainly motioning to pictures and/or saying the number of what he thought looked good. The addition of well-thought-out body language is immensely helpful in overcoming language barriers, so he hopes to successfully apply that same skill here today.

Even if this place’s food does turn out to be below his standards, he’s a hundred percent sure that it’ll still be a billion times better than Mark’s atrocious, inedible cooking. He shudders violently as he recalls the first (and last) time he went camping with Johnny and Mark, his goofy childhood best friends who conveniently like to follow him back and forth between America and Korea. Mark, bless his naive Canadian soul, had woken up earlier than him and Johnny with the intent of cooking his tired older friends a nice breakfast. Well, in short, his efforts had gone to . Ugly, suspiciously crunchy eggs, overcooked ramen, burnt kimchi and sausagesー just the memory of that tragic meal leaves Jaehyun shook.

Mustering his courage, Jaehyun takes a leap of faith and enters the cafe. A sweet little chime rings, and the chipper, albeit faraway, sound of a Japanese female employee’s gracious greeting instantly puts the Korean man at ease. It’s comfortably warm inside the relatively empty space, so he pulls off his hood just as the employee shows herself. She’s a petite and friendly-looking brunette, probably no older than Mark’s age, and her name tag reads “Hina” in Roman letters. “Hello, and welcome to Xabungle Cafe, sir. What may I get you today?”

“Oh, um...” Jaehyun trails off awkwardly, scanning over the digital menu board with clueless eyes. This cluelessness is replaced by a light of recognition, however, when he finally catches sight of a picture of French toast accompanied by what looks to be different types of breakfast meat, fried potatoes, and a side salad. “Sorry, sorry...” he mumbles in broken Japanese, pointing to the fading picture. “Um, 116... the French toast, please?”

“Okay, so the French toast platter? How would you like your eggs, sir?” Jaehyun gapes as the Japanese girl before him addresses him in flawless, enthusiastic Korean, the abrupt language switch nearly giving him whiplash. Seeing her customer’s shocked expression, Hina giggles and explains bashfully, “Um, I go to a Korean language school. Your accent sounds really similar to my friends’ and teachers’. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re from... Seoul, I’m guessing?”

“Yeah, Seoul... Well, I’ve been living in America for a while, but it’s reassuring to know that my Korean doesn’t sound too Americanized,” Jaehyun responds with a thankful, dimpled smile, rubbing the back of his neck shyly. “My Korean-Korean friends always make jokes about my Korean not sounding authentic enough, whatever that means...”

“Yeah, tell me about it. My friends say that my Nagoya accent is still really noticeable, but I don’t think so...” Hina snorts, shaking her head empathetically. “Ah, so how did you want those eggs again?”

“Over medium, please,” Jaehyun requests politely, truly grateful for her hospitality. He prepares his wallet but pauses when he notices the array of beautiful tea tins on the counter behind the Japanese girl. “Oh, and could I also get... a hot rose tea, as well? Thanks,” he tacks on as an afterthought.

Hina hums in confirmation and calculates the total for his order not long after, which he pays with card because his grasp of Japanese currency isn’t too good. “Thank you again, Hina-ssi,” the Korean man says sincerely.

“You’re welcome, Jaehyun-ssi,” Hina returns warmly as she gives her customer back his credit card.

Afterwards, Jaehyun ambles to an empty table along the wall. Relaxing, he removes some heavier layers like his parka and mittens, shoves his earphones in, and pulls up his winter playlist.

He’s about three-fourths of the way through his second song, TVXQ’s “Duet,” when Hina delivers his order. He thanks her happily as he removes his earphones, ever well-mannered, and she bows quickly before rushing back to the counter to take a new customer’s order. The Korean man glances at his food and almost salivates at the sight. Crisp bacon, plump sausages, golden fried potatoes, a runny egg, fluffy French toast, and a vibrant salad, all accompanied by a steaming, gorgeous red tea...

Jaehyun’s ecstatic. Delicious food always makes his days better. “I’ll eat well!” he whispers excitedly to himself before picking up his utensils.

Everything’s amazing. Jaehyun wants to squeal at how perfect his food is, how much it reminds him of his home away from home. Don’t him wrong, he loves Japanese food with its clean, balanced ingredients and flavors, but he’s missed American food in all its fried, high-calorie, generously seasoned glory, as well.

“Oppa!” Jaehyun jolts a little in his seat several minutes later, startled, when he hears Hina call out to an entering customer loudly and familiarly in Korean instead of voicing the same perfunctory Japanese greeting she’s probably been giving everyone else all day. “How were your classes today?” the Japanese girl continues sweetly in Korean.

Her acquaintance mutters something back noncommittally in Japanese, which Jaehyun barely manages to catch amid the chitchat of some other customers and whatever upbeat J-Pop song is playing on the radio at the moment. He can’t hear their conversation clearly from where he’s sitting, but he can make out that Hina and the new person are going back and forth between Japanese and Korean, as if playfully bantering.

For some odd reason, he finds himself strangely charmed by the unknown Japanese man’s silky, albeit exasperated, tone. Unable to stifle his curiosity any longer, the Korean man subtly peeks up from his meal, wanting to connect a voice to a face.

He nearly chokes at the visual that greets him. He was expecting a youthful college boy around Hina’s age, not a well-dressed, positively delectableman around his own.

Hot damn, does Jaehyun feel thirsty. He knows his ears must be getting redー an awful, totally not endearing tendency, reallyー so he hurriedly musses his hair in hopes of hiding the incriminating attachments behind his chocolate locks. His low-key shame still doesn’t stop him from stealing peeks to quench his thirst, though. The stranger has honey-colored hair, brown doe eyes framed by lush lashes, plump pink lips, creamy skin, and a slim build...

Well, mostly slim. The Japanese man tiredly drags his feet to a table not too far from Jaehyun’s, the Korean man’s interested gaze following him the entire way. The fair-haired stranger drops his briefcase and removes his trench coat, which causes Jaehyun to internally freak out because boy, was he not expecting those curves. Even in a thick sweater and straight dress pants, the other man’s waist, hips, and look nice.

Jaehyun snaps out of his silly stupor when he accidentally spills some salad in his lap. Swearing softly, he begins to dab at the dark dressing stain spreading rapidly on his jeans. “, this better come out okay or Taeyong-hyung will throw the biggest fit...”

Due to his distractedness, Jaehyun doesn’t notice when a certain Japanese man later shoots an intrigued, almost knowing look in his direction, or when a dangerously attractive hybrid between a smile and smirk blossoms on his face.

“This pizza is weird, too. I don’t like it...” Jaehyun sighs during dinner that night, pushing the tuna mayo slice he just barely bit into away to join his unofficial “whole lot of nope” stack, where long-abandoned sweet potato cream cheese, extra garlicky sausage delight, and other fearsome flavors reside. Then he grabs another kimchi bulgogi slice; it’s the most delicious variety he’s tried all night, not to mention the safest next to the basic extra pepperoni and cheese he’d also ordered. “You know, I’m starting to have regrets...” he muses, surveying the mountain of still relatively full pizza boxes with wary eyes.

“We told you that most of the other flavors were gross, but you wouldn’t believe us and pressured us into ordering them anyway with your stupidpuppy eyes!” Ten roars melodramatically, breaking off a large piece of crust to fling at the younger’s face. “I still can’t believe we wasted so much money on entertaining your awful curiosities. You’re canceled, Jeffrey, and I’m going to call the bank tomorrow and claim card fraud, I swear toー”

“Babe,” Taeyong calls sharply from the kitchen, his tone laced with thinly veiled, saccharine warning, “I suggest you stop yelling at Hyunnie. Remember, he’s a visitor and close friend.”

Ten shuts his mouth quickly, knowing better than to protest when his boyfriend goes into one of his passive-aggressive moods. Defying Taeyong when he’s all worked up like that usually equates to a one-way ticket to sleeping on the couch, and he’s not in the mood for blue balls. “Whipped," Jaehyun comments in English with a subtle cough into his napkin.

“You’re lucky you’re nice to look at, you brat, or else I would’ve ended you ages ago,” Ten hisses back in English, kicking his Korean friend’s shin swiftly under the table.

Jaehyun yelps and bites back a curse as Ten titters into his own napkin. “Karma, ,” the elder sasses lowly once more in English. Immediately after that, though, he lets out a fake gasp and pronounces audibly in Korean, “Oh, your leg fell asleep? I pity you, Jaehyun-ah. It’s the worst feeling ever, I know!”

“Ah, I hate it when that happens!” Taeyong remarks with an empathetic shake of his head, putting away the last of the dry dishes before walking over to rejoin his boyfriend and best friend at the table. “So, how was your day out alone, Jaehyun-ah? Do anything fun?” he wonders curiously as he settles into the seat between two of his favorite people.

Jaehyun clears his throat, mentally willing away his salt towards Ten and the last remnants of irritating pain in his leg as he carefully crafts his answer. After a moment, he starts, “Well, um... I picked up some stuff for myself and the people back home, and I got to try some street food... But I guess the highlight of my day was having lunch at a cafe. Have you guys ever gone to a nearby place called Cafe Xabungle?”

“Cafe Xabungle...” Taeyong repeats, furrowing his brows. “I’m not sure. I’ve been to a lot of cafes, honestly, so it’s hard to keep track of names. Ten, have we been there?” he asks his boyfriend inquisitively.

Ten hums thoughtfully. “Cafe Xabungle, Cafe Xabungle... Ah, I remember now!” he exclaims, snapping his fingers. “Yeah, we’ve been there! It’s the cafe some of our students work at, if I recall correctly. Like Chenle and Renjun from my hip hop class, and Koeun and Hina from your Korean classー”

“Oh, I met Hina today. She was so nice!” Jaehyun interjects, smiling at the memory of the understanding employee. Then, in a much shyer manner, he continues, “And, um... I also saw a handsome guy. I’m not trying to sound creepy or anything, but I stared at him for a while. He was just so... princely, I guessー” he s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter