Hers

Hers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was walking towards the porch with shaky legs. It was true that his sudden disappearance bore a hole inside her heart but now that she knew the real reason why he left even his career behind without a single trace nor a promise of return, the hole grew until it was difficult for her to breath. It was summer, the breeze was just warm enough that she was just in her simple summer dress that would twirl around her legs every time the wind would blow. But as she neared her destination, the warm breeze suddenly turned cold, freezing her heart for a moment. A few feet away from her stood her life.

 

He was watching the sun set with a gentle smile playing at the corner of his lips. She walked with her heart silently breaking with every step until she was right beside him. "Jae." She called her voice a mere whisper.

 

He turned and looked at her with confusion. Slowly he lifted his hand and cupped her face. A smile slowly appeared on his face as he gently rubbed his thumb at the spot just below her left ear. "Are you real?"

 

"I'm here Jae." She said cupping his hand with her own. With her heart racing she smiled at him hoping that it did not show how scared she was at that very moment. He looked so fragile, his eyes lost their shine, his face was thinner and even his hand felt weak.

 

He blinked. His smile slowly fading as the realization hit him. "What are you doing here?" His voice a mere whisper. He looked at her in the eye and saw his reflection. He was sick and dying. He can't have her love and he definitely do not want her pity.. "Please leave." She flinched but kept her hold on his hand.

 

"Jae." Her voice was a lot calmer than she felt. "I can't leave you."

 

"I don't need your pity Dara." He said meeting her gaze.

 

She shook her head and reached out to gently touch his face. "I don't pity you Jae." His eyes closed. How badly he wanted her to be beside him, forever.

 

But he doesn't have forever. He doesn't even have a month left. He opened his eyes and said the words that was meant to push her away. "I don't want you here. I don't need you." He paused and looked at her straight in the eyes. "I don't love you."

 

His words cut through her like a thousand knives but she held her ground. She loved him and that alone was enough. "I don't care Jae." She said. "I don't care if you don't want me here. I don't care if you don't need me. I don't care if you don't love me." She let his hand go and softly smiled when it continued to cup her face. "But you know that I'm a selfish girl. I want you." She said popping his eyes wide open. "And I need you." She continued, taking a step closer. "And I love you." She gently cupped his face with her hands, leaned closer and placed a soft kiss on his lips. "And I won’t let go. Even if you ask me to." She murmured against his lips.

 

Weeks passed and she never left his side until he surrendered and told her how much he loved her. "I'm sorry." He said one afternoon when he accidentally dropped a glass. But she knew that he was not apologizing for breaking the glass. Nevertheless, she smiled and tapped his shoulder. "Its okay hon. Don't worry about it."

 

He smiled but sadness remained on his eyes. "Can you do something for me?"

 

She nodded, eager to make him h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter