Goodbye

I Have Company

Taekwoon looked at Hongbin like he was insane, but his expression quickly turned into anger. “What the do you mean he’s here? He’s dead Hongbin.” Hongbin took in a deep breath. “I know he is. But I have the ability to see spirits who haven’t crossed over yet. Wonshik has been on Earth this entire time, watching over you.” Hongbin tried to reach for Taekwoon’s shoulder, but his hand was quickly slapped away. “You’re lying!” Hongbin tried to get another word in but Taekwoon interrupted him. “What kind of sick person are you? Pretending that you can speak with the dead? That’s so messed up. Giving people a false sense of hope that they can speak with their loved ones one last time. And what for? Do you make them pay money? Or do you just get off on people’s hope before you tell them it’s all fake?” Hongbin shook his head quickly. “No! It’s not like that. I really do speak to dead people! And Wonshik is here. He’s been here the entire time. I swear!” “Then prove it to me! Tell me something that only Wonshik would know about.” Hongbin looked over at Wonshik for help. Wonshik stood in the corner of the room now, looking at what his brother had become. It broke his heart to see his brother so broken once again. He quickly thought back on all the things that only he and Taekwoon knew. Hongbin kept a close eye on him, and he could almost see the light bulb that went off in Wonshik’s head. “Hongbin, listen carefully. The middle tile under the table is actually a little cubby for spices and things. But my mom and dad never knew about that. Take the tile out.” Hongbin quickly moved under the table looking for the false tile Wonshik was talking about. He found it quickly and gently pulled it open. The hole in the ground under the tile was no bigger than his fist, and in the hole was a piece of paper.  “Open it.” Wonshik said.

 

    Hongbin opened the piece of paper, not exactly sure what it was. The piece of paper was a page from a cookbook, and the recipe on the page was one for a strawberry shortcake. Hongbin looked at Taekwoon, who was growing paler by the second. “Tell him exactly what I am telling you.” Wonshik whispered in his ear. Hongbin nodded. “Wonshik says that he knows you didn’t like cake. But he knew you loved fruits, especially strawberries. So he looked through all of the cookbooks in the house to find a cake he knew you would like.” Taekwoon’s breath began to quicken. “He carried the cookbook with him the whole day, waiting for you to be ready to make the cake. He knew you wanted to make it late at night so the strawberries would be a bit more fresh the next morning. And he knows that you hid the recipe under that tile after he died because you couldn’t live with the guilt from that day. And he knows that you haven’t eaten strawberry shortcake, or even strawberries, since that day.” Taekwoon was the one that looked heartbroken now. “Oh my God. It’s really him.” Wonshik walked over to his brother, wrapping his arms tightly around Taekwoon’s stomach, and Taekwoon felt his icy arms wrapped around him. “Wonshik? I’m so sorry. I could have done so much better. What kind of big brother am I? I had one job. All I had to do was protect you. And-” Taekwoon placed his arms over the icy ones that were circling his ribs now. “And I failed you.” Wonshik looked at Hongbin. “Tell him he doesn’t have to feel guilty. No one noticed what our mother was doing. She was really good at manipulating people into thinking she was telling the truth. I’m not mad at him, and he shouldn’t put so much of the blame on himself. He was the best big brother anyone could ask for.” Once Hongbin delivered the message Taekwoon sniffled a bit. Wonshik turned around, and he suddenly looked amazed. Hongbin knew what was happening. “I think it’s time for you to cross over Wonshik.” Wonshik whipped his head towards Hongbin. “I can’t leave him like this Hongbin. I don’t think he wants me to go.” Hongbin was a little taken aback by the comment and  it showed on his face. Taekwoon looked confused. “What? What is he saying? I still feel him on me so he didn’t leave yet.” Hongbin turned his attention to Taekwoon. “He says he doesn’t want to leave you. And that he doesn’t think you want him to go.” Taekwoon laughed a little at that. “Of course I don’t want him to go. He’s my little brother. But-” Taekwoon turned around in Wonshik’s hold. “You need to go Wonshik. I think you’ve been here long enough. So go and get the peace you deserve to have. Just promise me that when it’s time for me to go you’ll be waiting to greet me on the other side.” Wonshik teared up at his brother’s words, holding him as tightly as he could whispering “I promise.” into Taekwoon’s ear before letting him go. Wonshik walked over to the light, looking back over his shoulder at Hongbin. “Thank you for everything.” Were the final words that left his mouth before he disappeared into the light.

 

    “He’s gone, right?” Taekwoon asked, his arms still wrapped tightly around his ribs. “Yeah. Yeah he’s gone.” Hongbin said, slowly making his way over to Taekwoon. “That’s good. I’m glad he’s finally resting in peace.” Hongbin got close enough to place his hand on Taekwoon’s shoulder. Taekwoon allowed him to keep his hand there. “Hongbin?” “Yeah?” “Can you do me a favor?” Hongbin tightened his grasp on Taekwoon’s shoulder. “Sure. What is it?” Taekwoon turned around, and unwrapped his arms from his ribs just to wrap them around Hongbin’s torso. “Can you just hold me?” Hongbin answered by wrapping Taekwoon in a big hug. Hongbin felt Taekwoon’s shoulders shaking and heard him sniffling. Soon the small sniffles evolved into painful wails. Taekwoon was practically screaming into Hongbin’s shoulder as tears poured hot down his face. Hongbin rubbed soothing circles into Taekwoon’s back. Taekwoon wailed for almost half an hour before he had managed to calm himself down. Once he got his breathing back to normal he tried to get out of Hongbin’s grasp. Hongbin tightened his grip. “Let me take care of you?” Hongbin felt the small nod that Taekwoon gave after a moment of hesitation. Hongbin sat Taekwoon down on the couch, and he made sure that Taekwoon drank a lot of water so he wouldn’t get dehydrated from all the crying. After making sure that Taekwoon’s face was clear from tears and that he was fully hydrated Hongbin laid Taekwoon down on the couch. He then turned off the lights before joining Taekwoon. “Get some rest. You must be exhausted.” Taekwoon nodded, and wiggled a bit to make himself more comfortable before drifting off. Hongbin stayed awake to make sure Taekwoon fell asleep, and once he was sure the other man was sleeping placed a kiss on his forehead.


 

“Good night love.”