Chapter Two - First Confidante

First Everything

Felix was an awkward kid. And you know what awkward kids do? They avoid their crush to the point of parkouring over couches and random objects lying around in any room Felix found himself trapped in with Changbin.

He could feel Changbin’s gaze following after him as he leapt over Hyunjin’s pile of dirty clothes on the floor and darted out the door.

He almost slammed into Chan, who quickly caught him with a small yelp. “What’s going on?” His favorite member (not really), his savior, his fellow English-speaking Aussie, asked him.

“Nothing,” Felix replied, totally not suspiciously. What do you mean people’s eyes normally don’t flick around the room in a panic? Felix was totally acting as cool as a cucumber.

Chan leveled him with a flat look and he crumbled, slumping into his friend’s hold. “I’m a very awkward bean,” he said into Chan’s hoodie.

Chan patted his head, half-condescending and half-sympathetic. “I know, Lix,” he replied affectionately.

Of course he would know, he was the one Felix poured his whole heart out to in the middle of the night when the younger would sneak into his bed to cuddle and whine.

He heard the footsteps coming from the room he just ran out of and quickly untangled himself from Chan’s hold, giving a cheeky grin before power walking past a confused Woojin and into the living room, where his best friend sat watching a movie.

“Sung-ie!” He cried out, leaping onto his unsuspecting member. Jisung let out a small scream, clutching his bag of peanuts tightly in one hand as the other froze midair to the remote.

“Felix, you scared the out of me!” Jisung complained, pliant as his same age friend manhandled him onto the Aussie’s lap.

“Sorry,” Felix apologized sweetly, sending Jisung the bright smile he always crumbled in the face of.

As always, Jisung sighed, patting Felix’s cheek. “It’s fine,” he said, tossing a peanut into his mouth and chewing loudly.

“So,” he continued, popping the salty snack into Felix’s open mouth, “what’s wrong?”

Felix twitched, slowly eating the peanut in an attempt to stall answering Jisung’s question. While their friendship usually consisted of teasing and troublemaking, Jisung could sometimes get a bit overprotective of Felix.

Like that time he almost tackled another trainee for making fun of Felix’s freckles. Or when he wrote a diss rap to a guy trying to humiliate Felix, who had horrible and broken Korean back then, and could only be stopped by the combined force of Chan and Woojin.

He didn’t want Changbin to face Jisung’s wrath if the rapper thought the older hurt Felix. “What makes you think something’s wrong?” He asked flippantly, feeling himself break out into a cold sweat at Jisung’s searching eyes.

“You only scare and pull me into your lap when something’s bothering you.” Jisung pointed out, dusting off his salt covered fingers and turning his full attention to Felix.

His gaze softened and he looked like the epitome of worry. “Lix,” he said, voice so gentle it made Felix weak, “you know I’m always on your side, right? I’m with you all the way.”

. Felix felt his heart shake and his willpower crumble under the force of Jisung’s earnest plea.

“It’s nothing bad,” he said hurriedly, “it’s just…” He hesitated. If he couldn’t trust his best friend, not including Chan, then who else was there?

“I… I have a crush on Changbin-hyung,” he confessed quietly, eyes trained downward as he waited for Jisung’s reaction.

There was only Jisung’s breathing, before a soft laugh broke through Felix’s fear. “It was pretty obvious to me, Felix.”

His head shot up and he stared at Jisung in shock. “What?”

“I’m your best friend,” the rapper scoffed, ruffling Felix’s hair. “Of course I knew.”

His mouth was hanging open, “You don’t mind? It doesn’t bother you?”

Jisung sent him a smile. “Never. Who you love doesn’t change the fact that you’re practically my soul brother.”

Was he sweating from his eyes or were those tears from Jisung’s unconditional love and support?

“Sung-ie,” he said, voice high-pitched and touched. “I love you!” He wrapped his arms around his friend and squeezed him into a tight hug.

Jisung embraced him back. “Me, too. Now, was that all that’s wrong? Or do you need me to throw hands?”

“No throwing hands!” Felix sputtered out. “Bin-hyung doesn’t even know and I’m scared of his reaction. Although he shows skinship with me… I don’t think it goes beyond affection for a younger brother.”

His tone, so disheartened, caused Jisung to coo at him. “It’s okay, Lix. I’ll help you out in any way.”

“Well, I’m mostly just trying to avoid being alone with him because it makes my heart hurt.” Felix sighed out, tucking his face into Jisung’s neck.

“Don’t worry, Jisung-ie’s got your back.”

Felix pulled away, sending his friend a mildly disgruntled look. “Please don’t refer to yourself in third person.”

Jisung gasped, pointing a finger at Felix accusingly. “I’m here, graciously offering my help, and you come to me, on the day of my daughter’s wedding, with this attitude?!”

Felix almost regretted introducing that meme to Jisung. Almost.

It distracted him from the looming problem of his crush-and-totally-not-love feelings.

Ugh, the gloomy direction his mind was taking… truly Top Ten Anime Betrayals.