Prologue

Anemone

Avery inhale in the smoke from her cigarette before flicking its ashes out on her fingers. She sighed heavily as she looks up at the dark sky where no stars could be seen through the thick mist as different light colors flashes from the club behind her. Avery her chapped lips then started biting them clearing the dead skin out of her lips. She didn’t stop even when she felt the sting from her actions and tasted blood sipping out of her lips. Her eyes flash a glint as she blinks several times.

She sighed again and breathes in smoke from her cigarette as she looks away from the dark night before her and looked at the empty and dirty street in front of her. Her eyes narrow for a moment before she slowly walks towards it but was stopped by the railings separating the two sides of that street. For a moment, she looked away at the thing that caught her attention because of that but remembered that thing again as she sharply gawk at the other side of the street but was disturbed by a voice behind her.

“What are you doing here, Ave?” the man asked as Avery look at her back to see one of her friends, Mason, looking so worriedly towards her.

Avery simply raised one of her eyebrows to the man as she giggles and look inside the bar where she can clearly see a pair of oh-so-clingy couple sitting on a couch while laughing with other people.

“And since when did you actually care about me, Mason?” the woman ask the man in front of her.

The man’s eyebrows crease from the disputes said by Avery as he smirk and look behind him. He looks back at Avery and shakes his head as if feeling so disappointed.

“Really, Avery? For a person who has experienced every single thing a human wouldn’t want to be into, you are still so stubborn. For you to not learn anything from the things you’ve been through…Ah, now I know why he left you for a Haley, huh?” Mason said while wearing his judgmental look.

Avery felt a slight prickle in her heart. She felt as every single hair from her head to toe stood up. Her eyes melted from the coldness of the night with Mason’s words. She stared quietly at Mason, making the man feel so awkward before she  let out a sneer on her lips. Avery, then, walks towards Mason, making him feel nervous but surprised when the woman just passed by him.

“Avery!” Mason called out at the woman as he looks at her stand at the front of the club, clearly observing the couple. Mason felt a little sympathy to the woman when Avery just simply left without saying goodbye to their other friends who clearly doesn’t give a damn to the woman.

Even after minutes passed by, Mason didn’t know why but he is still looking at the path taken by the woman. He felt like, he just, even if he have said more cruel words than what he just told to the woman a while ago, it felt like, he just throw an already broken vase to its end.

 


Avery throw her cigarette at the corner without bothering to put out the fire of it before biting her lips and started kicking the weeds at the corners of the street. Now, she started feeling her a while numb-feelings. The words from Mason’s mouth started circulating inside her head. No more tears were flowing down her cheeks but she can literally feel her heart tightening at the moment. started opening, started seeking out for air, her legs started losing every power, her knees felt like fading from the thin air, her mind started clouding from the feeling she, for the first time, felt, something that the words “sad” or “lonely” cannot express.

“Ah! Ah…” she started groaning as sob came out of . Her knees were scraped by the ground but she cannot feel such small wounds at the moment. Only that significant physical-pain-like emotion in her heart can be felt. She started shouting; Avery clearly doesn’t know what to do with such emotion.

So, this is what heartbroken really means…

Avery didn’t know how she got to home. She started looking at the beautiful yet empty room of hers. She then, felt water flowing down her cheeks. She didn’t know that she is capable of such tears. She shallowed an invisible block in that seems to be staying there for a while.

She let her body be slammed on her bed cushion. She covered her eyes before she let herself be swallowed by her own mischiefs.

“If only being reborn could be true. God, let me have just this one wish. I’ve never prayed for anything to you so hear me out this one. Let me go back, ah, give me a second chance, just one, another chance where I know what to do to not suffer, a place where I would know who to trust and not, who to lean on. Ah! I’m just a normal person, a human being, why me? Why should it be me? Why should I suffer like this when others cannot? I’m not a ing killer or murderer for you to do this to me!” her tears and snot started coming out as she, for the first time, pray to God, which she doesn’t even talk to for her entire life.

Slowly, the darkness conceals Avery’s consciousness and as she wakes up…

“What?” She asks herself with anxiousness.