Home Sweet Home

Regime

He stood up, looking into the eyes of his family members. A sinister gaze gave them chills as he walked up to them, his footsteps pounding into the ground as if his shoes were made of bullets.

 

His eyes scanned the heads, his sisters on each side of his mother and father, and their butlers behind them. A smirk grew on his lips. "It's been a long time, Mother, Father."

 

He leaned in to give them a hug, one that wasn't reciprocated. He gave a happy sigh as he went to kiss each of his sister's hands, the oldest of the girls, Jieun yanking her hand away as soon as he took it. 

 

Jinyoung smiled as he patted his youngest sister's head, he can still remember the day she was born and how much they looked alike. He looked away back at his parents who stood still like they saw a ghost. "So, shall we go inside? I didn't travel all the way here just to stand outside all day."

 

Nothing was said as a response, his mother and father turned around, shortly being followed by his sisters, then the butlers. It seemed everyone in this palace feared the day the prince would return, maybe because he was the embodiment of change or they were just reluctant to admit that they needed him more than he needed them. 

 

Jinyoung looked back to Mark, they connected instantly, a smile to show they were going to be just fine, there was enough trust in each other to be able to brave this chaos. Although, Jinyoung had turned all too quickly it was surely noted that Mark wasn’t feeling too well, his tiredness glazing his eyes like clouded glass. The lack of moisture in his lips from the terrible cold he was feeling, but maybe that was just the welcoming this palace created, one that he had all but forgotten due to happy times and hotter weather. 

 

They entered into the fine establishment, the gold pillars holding the weight of the palace, the flags that held the country's emblem hung high from the ceilings. Momentous amounts of steps decorated the area as they reached the throne room, the place Jinyoung would eventually take his rule. 

 

His parents took their positions, similar to his sisters in the seats that sat high, watching over the area filled with old council members. Before they even reached the throne his staff was dispersed to prepare bedrooms and understand the format of the house, the only person who was allowed in with Jinyoung was Mark. 

 

"Close the doors." He could hear his father voice, old and vicious. His mother's true heart started to reveal itself as her face scrunched up with disgust. 

 

"We formally invite you back into this house, and you disgrace us again with his presence?" Her eyes glared at Mark. Jinyoung clenched his jaw. 

 

"It certainly is like Jinyoung, right mother? 11 years ago today he always had that despicable thing around, I heard he's marry to it." His mother laughed a poisonous laugh, 

 

"Jinyoung darling...that couldn't be true right? Not my darling son." This earned laughter from the whole room.

 

Jinyoung squeezed his eyes closed until he heard a chuckle quite different from the rest of the tones in the room. The whole room became silent in an instant. His chuckle turned into a wild laugh, the guardsmen readying their weapons as if Mark had turned into a madman. Jinyoung had known that Mark did that in order to give him a chance to defend himself, a trick he was well versed in. He took a deep breath a glare holding the gaze of his mother's eyes.

 

"Last time I remember this was a royal invitation, one that you forcibly sent and made me accept. If you dare to disrespect me as a guest that was invited here then I will kindly leave, I have no tolerance for this, and I don't think any one of you have the fortunes to lose me, you need me more than I need you." Jinyoung laid down the line, earning gulps from the rest of the family, the only one who hadn't the slightest idea of what was going on was his youngest sister Jiyeon. 

 

"What do you know boy?" His father growled. 

 

"More than you could ever wish, I think this discussion is done. I'm too tired to entertain a circus full of talentless animals." He walked away, Mark following behind him as the doors opened, Jaebum stood at the base of the door as it closed. 

 

"Well said Your Highness. Well said." He snickered, quickly turning around to Mark, cupping his cheeks. 

 

"You were amazing, I didn't think you'd use that cheap trick again." Mark chuckled bitterly. Jaebum's eyes hovered over Mark, he seemed ill, his general demeanor less excited. He'd noticed that the man was quite tired when they met at the tailor's parlor, but it was apparent he wasn't feeling well at all, and he was relieved when he realized Jinyoung noticed just as much as he did.

 

"Mark?" He lifted his face up, he noticed he felt cold, his face pale of colored and his eyes barely stayed open. "Are you alright?"

 

He smiled a sweet smile, "Of course..." Though, Jinyoung was in great disbelief.

 

"You've been tired lately...I think it's best if you rest."

 

"I'm fine, Your Highness." It ached just a bit when he heard his lover call him something other than his name, it's one thing to of the title, but he could never fathom his husband acting as if he was some servant or maid that was there just for his pleasure. He didn't want to believe it. 

 

"Jaebum, Lord Mark to his courters and call in a royal doctor." He sent glares down at Mark who equally held a stubborn temper.

 

"Yes, Your Highness." Mark was pulled away from his sight as he walked around to regain some form of his memory of the palace that he hadn't remembered in years, mostly because he thought he would never return.

 

His feet took him passed the garden, the kitchen, library, and the various council rooms. His hands gliding across the golden pillars, the openings of nature breathing into the imprisonment of the palace halls. It was a sicken thought to feel this feeling of captivity, and he, when throned would want to change the way this place looked, the way people conducted themselves, because it was certainly far from a welcome home.

 

He sat at a bench that stood in front of the prayers of the kingdoms, those trivial guild lines all the children had to know so that they could ask the gods to grant their wishes, but what gods would grant one there worse nightmares, and to a child no less? What god would create such beings that couldn't accept each other, that scorns the act of love because it's two men? That ran through Jinyoung's mind, but maybe he blamed himself for believing that there was something wrong with him when it was their warp thinking that deprived his life.

 

Jaebum made his way down the halls, he slowed down as his sight looked upon his friend. 

 

"Your Highness?" 

 

Jinyoung looked his way, a soft smile disappearing, "They're ready for me already?" Jaebum nodded, giving a deep bow, "Shall we go, Your Highness?"

 

Jinyoung rose up, walking as he patted Jaebum on his shoulder, "Yes...we shall." 

 

It was no surprise that a council meeting was already set in place, as every returning member of the royal bloodline that would eventually inherit the throne had a duty to partake in this tradition that held little purpose to the greater good of change, but nonetheless it was a tradition that not even Jinyoung could defy.

 

They waited, a round table of a dozen men or so, the current king in the center, and the eldest daughter to the right, biting her nails profusely.

 

The gated doors opened, as Jinyoung walked in, his presence earning silence in the room.

 

"Well I'll be damned, the son had lived here though all those years." 

 

"I knew he would, he's a Park after all, death has no power over royals."

 

"He should've died already, that would have saved us such a meeting that only serves as war against the family members, we're wasting time expecting this boy to know anything about tactics and what not, there's a war on our hands and this family would be the reason we lose it."

 

Jinyoung reached the top of the steps, the round table apparent in his view, he stopped a few feet away from the table giving a respectable bow.

 

"Prince Jinyoung of the country of New Cantum, heir to throne has arrived, commence with the meeting." A horn signified the beginning of the dreaded meeting that Jinyoung had no desire to entertain.

 

He sat down next to his father, opposite of his sister. 

 

"Give me a thorough update of the safety of our kingdom." The king made his statement as men scribbled to find their correct papers, Jinyoung watched in boredom.

 

"Any day now."

 

"Yes Your Majesty, we have discovered enemy ships from the Country of New Taiga scouting our waters just a way from our reefs, I was going to ask if we could possibly have some more guards on the shoreline to keep the unwanted visitors at bay."

 

"Next."

 

"Y-Your Majesty?" 

 

"Next." 

 

Another man stood up, "There's a concerning threat about the Country of New Taiga waging war against us, sire I think it'll be best if we at least conduct a—"

 

"I will not continuing to hear nonsense about war! Next—!" The king began to cough, a fit that showed the declining healthier the present king, Jinyoung only looked at his father in utter pity, as the room grew high with discern. The Prince stood up, "I think we should adjourn the meeting and commence again when the king is able." His sister opposed, quickly raising out of her seat, "And who gave you any form of power to decide the fate of this meeting?"

 

"As the rightful heir—!" She slammed her hand on the table, "Heir? Don't pull that , for a man who hasn't been here, a commoner is as best you get, you don't know how things are run yet you want to talk about a title waisted on your disgraceful presence, it's bad enough you brought that disgusting being you call a husband, breaking the foundational rules of our ways as a society."

 

Jinyoung smirked, "You forget that you hold no place in these meetings because you are a woman, don't talk to me about power when your gender constitutes you as absolutely worthless."

 

"How dare you! You..." Jinyoung glared at his sister, sighing as he looked to his father, who all but stayed quiet, he shook his head. 

 

"Let me say this once to each of you, by far, what I have seen was the worse of the chain of command that was once regarded as the visionaries for this countries future, if we are to complain about power in every meeting then we will get nowhere, if we are to doubt that an enemy will not attack, then we've already lost. Choose the direction you wish or this country to go and pick the ones who can bring about that change, is that not so simple?"

 

He sighed, leaving the room to consider a different approach to the worthless talks. Jaebum followed the future king out, Jinyoung's sister closely behind. 

 

"Jinyoung!" He stopped at her annoying whining. She stomped in front of him. 

 

"You think that's going to work!? Don't forget that being the heir holds no power if you can't get voted in, and the council will never pick a disgrace like yourself." 

 

"Speak for yourself little sister, I have business to take care of, and your in my way. Can't you be a little more forgiving on your brother's welcome home day?" He pushed her aside, tired of all the drainage that is royal life, only wanting to retire to bed and cuddle with Mark like they did in the past. 

 

He made the long and tedious walk down to their chambers just as the doctor was leaving. 

 

"Ah, Your Highness." The seemingly old man bowed to give his respects to the returning heir, the prince returning the gesture. 

 

"Doc, how is he?" The doctor rose up, his face swelled with concern.

 

"Well, he's fine for now, a slight fever, but nothing like a few herbal teas couldn't fix, but..." He looked up to the young prince, his face just as filled with worry as the doctor. 

 

"Hmm...noting, there's nothing Your Highness should worry about, but please due come see me once in awhile, if you feel free to leave the palace." Jinyoung smiled, bowing once again. 

 

"I'll make sure to do so." The doctor and Jinyoung had a long history with each other, one that spanned years even before his birth, he was just as much a father as he was his mentor when the prince had high hopes to become a doctor for the common people, but all that has changed, and it couldn't be helped. Though, the relationship built during the time Jinyoung was allowed in the palace was never forgotten by either of the two. 

 

Jinyoung had opened the door to his personal chambers, Jaebum leaving to carry out duties in other parts of the palace, he had closed the door as he walked up to the enormous bed that took up half of the room. Mark stayed curled up under the covers. 

 

He stood silent at the sight, sighing as he pulled off his shoes, walking to one of the closets, "Oh, so you're not talking to me anymore, is that it?"

 

Mark huffed as Jinyoung pulled off his shirt reviling his chisel abs, his hands rubbing against the wood, "I would appreciate it if you said something."

 

The brunette sight up sighing with anger, "What do you want me to give you a cookie for sending me into this god forsaken room, you've known me long enough to know that when I tell you something I mean it." 

 

The raven-haired lad smirked as he turned his way pulling off his tie, "Like I'll listen to that, and yes I would love a cookie right now, y'know if you were that cookie." He leaned in kissing Mark's neck, the other not amused.

 

"Well for your information, Your Highness, I'm not in the mood to be your prize that doesn't have a say in my own choices." He pushed him away, but Jinyoung pinned the other down to the assortment of pillows.

 

"Is that how you feel?" Mark titled his head, seeing as Jinyoung looked genuinely hurt.

 

He let go, pushing back to the end of the bed, "It wasn't my intention to disregard your feelings, but Mark you've been acting strange, and this isn't the first time you've looked deathly ill, what good of a husband am I too let you stay by my side in that state?"

 

Mark bit his lips, he sat up staring at Jinyoung, whose true heart started to pan out. He looked down thinking of words to say, but the silence had them captured like prey. 

 

"What's on your mind Jinyoung?" The young prince shook his head, his shoulders slumped as he played with Mark's toes.

 

"You...mostly. You just...been acting strange these days, out of your usual character." Mark titled his head trying to get a better look at his husband, but the other was reluctant to meet his gaze.

 

"Care to elaborate your feelings." He crossed his arms as he stared at Jinyoung waiting for the petty annoyance that came out in a whiny tone.

 

"I don't like it when you call me Your Highness, I don't like it when you bow to me or tell me to follow costumes that we never practiced, Mark I don't like it when you play by this sickening kingdom's rule, I don't want to change for them nor anybody simply because they don't trust me, nor even respect me for that matter. I just...even for only a moment, I'd rather trade this life for one that is spent with you in eternity." The prince took a deep breath.

 

"Jinyoung..." He looked up as Mark began to hold a grin as he thought of something he could respond with.

 

"I shall do as you wish."

 

 Jinyoung smiled, crinkles forming at the corner of his eyes as Mark started to laugh. 

 

"You always find a way to make me sound like a petty child who hasn't gotten their toy in weeks." 

 

"Well aren't you exactly that Jinyoung? A child that needs babysitting and a ton of toys?" 

 

The prince leaped onto the other hugging him in a playful manner, "Even if it's true, as my husband you shouldn't state the obvious!" Mark laughed from the tickles that laced his body. Jinyoung rolled off of him pulling the other close to his side so they were staring face to face.

 

"Are you really okay though?" Mark shifted his weight to get a closer look at Jinyoung.

 

"Yes Jinyoung, I'm always okay." Jinyoung sighed as he creased Mark's lips gently with his thumb, lost in thought as he stared into his eyes.

 

"And there you go again...what are you thinking about?"

 

"How lucky I am to be married to you." Mark blushed at the comment as Jinyoung grew a smile, "I mean you're so~undeniably y." The brunette smacked his head turning away.

 

"Don't say stupid things." Jinyoung kissed his hair like he always did.

 

"It's not stupid if it's true." A chuckle escaped his lips as he wrapped his arm around Mark in a protective embrace. 

 

“I couldn’t ask for anything more, other than you Mark, you are my everything and always will be until I die.”

 

The brunette shook his head, grasp his hand, “Then what about the kingdom you are to rule? What about the countless people who will need your sacrifice and your selflessness for their needs? In those times, I will no longer be your everything y’know...”

 

“Nonsense Mark...I can rule with generosity to the people and still love you.”

 

“And what if they can’t accept me.”

 

“Ugh, enough of the pillow talk can we just sleep.” Mark giggled when Jinyoung growled.

 

“You started it.”

 

“Did not.”

 

“Did too.”

 

“Did not!”

 

Jinyoung squeezed the other’s ear with a pit of laughter swirling in their voices, and soon they fell asleep in such a way where even the most prejudiced individuals wouldn’t find it in their hearts to wake them up from a slumber embedded with love.

 

To say the least, maybe this kingdom could only survive with the uncanny wit of change on the perspectives of love and what it truly means, a home where all people can call it sweet.