Stargazing in September

Stargazing in September

"Happy Birthday, Nayeon!" Today, September 22, marks Im Nayeon's birthday. She didn’t quite remember that it was her birthday today but her members were glad to throw her a party still. "You didn’t have to do these, you know." She laughed. One of her friends handed over a cake with a 23-shaped candle placed to it. That’s right, she just turned 23 today.

            She thanked everyone for the surprise party, and that they had to plan this all just for her. Until she did realize something else. Something missing. No, someone. "Where’s Jeongyeon?" Nayeon looked around, checking if she just ignored her or if she really is missing.

Momo had a worried look on her face. She began slowly, "Jeongyeon…" Nayeon, who listened, questioned everyone what about Jeongyeon. "Jeongyeon told us that she doesn’t want to come."

            The moment Nayeon heard it, her heart was deeply broken. Nayeon and Jeongyeon were both really close; closer than anyone. Nayeon was expecting Jeongyeon to show up on her one and only birthday, of course. But rather than not showing up, Nayeon didn’t expect Jeongyeon to say that she didn’t want to come on such an important occasion.

            "We asked her why, but she said she just needed to do something." Nayeon began tearing up. She was curious on why Jeongyeon would choose something else over her special friend’s birthday. "We did insist for her to come, but she rejected." The others comforted Nayeon and told her not to cry, as it is her birthday

            Momo and the rest tried their best to cheer her up. Little by little, Nayeon was feeling better. For the next 5 hours, they laughed, sang, danced, ate, told stories, and even gave their presents to Nayeon. For another 2 hours, they had a karaoke sing-off. It was already 8 PM by then.

            Though she really had fun, Nayeon was starting to frown again. She remembered what Jeongyeon told them and that she didn’t plan on coming today. Later, Nayeon told the others that she wanted to rest. The girls were soon worried, but let her instead. They knew that Nayeon wanted to sleep away the pain.

            When Nayeon arrived at her room; she took off her coat and shoes. She jumped over her bed then embraced her pillow. She whispered, "This doesn’t feel like a birthday at all."

            She cried herself to sleep. Until a voice woke her, "Hey, wake up."

            She was surprised by the sudden appearance. She crawled to the side, making sure that the figure doesn’t touch her. "Silly, it’s me." Nayeon squinted, she can’t get a clear view of who was speaking. "Jeongyeon." The person introduced.

            Nayeon didn’t believe at first until a couple of seconds later, her vision is fully clear. "Jeongyeon? What are you doing here?!"

            "Come with me, I’m going to show you something." Nayeon grabbed her phone, which was just placed beside her. She grasped at over what was going on and checked the time. It was 10:33 PM.

            Nayeon asked Jeongyeon some questions before she accepted the invitation, but Jeongyeon declined the questions and told her to ask them later.

            They both mounted a bike while gently boosting it, Jeongyeon began to propel the pedals. Nayeon was frightened with riding in the back; the road was bumpy. Good thing Jeongyeon was experienced with these.

            Jeongyeon held the brakes and announced that they have arrived. Nayeon got off the seat and gazed at the beautiful sight right in front of her. They stopped at an empty field, with the sky full of stars above them. The wind was breezy and the night felt young.

            Nayeon tiled her head to the side, noticing Jeongyeon peeking over a telescope. "What are you doing with the telescope?" She asked. "Actually no, where were you a while ago? Out of all the people who would be absent, it had to be you!"

           "I'm sorry, okay?"

           "For now, come here." Jeongyeon gestured, "Look at those stars." Nayeon stepped over to Jeongyeon’s side until she reached the telescope. She leaned over to place the eyepiece on her left eye.

            "Incredible." Nayeon complimented.

            "Did you know? A while ago, scientists just discovered a supernova," Jeongyeon informed, "meaning, a star just exploded." Nayeon snickered, "I know what a supernova means, you know."

             Jeongyeon smiled, but soon, the smile turned into a sudden expression of sadness. "It hurts me to know that a star was born today when another star just died."

            Nayeon had a questioned look, so she asked, "Didn’t you just tell me that a star just died? So, scientists also discovered a formation of a new star today?" Jeongyeon laughed at the question and took out a small notebook.

            "How dumb are you? You’re the star that was born on this day." Jeongyeon began to write, unsure why Nayeon didn’t know that sooner.

            "Hey! I'm not dumb! Now you're just trying to make it up to me." Nayeon pouted. "I didn’t even know that this is what you meant by ‘needed to do something’". She once again leaned over the telescope and fixed her eye towards the stars. Jeongyeon apologized for the situation and the words she let the girls tell her.

            "I was preparing for my present. I wanted to stargaze with my best friend on her special birthday. So, Happy Birthday." Jeongyeon surrendered the notebook she just wrote on.

            It said:

           Are you enjoying tonight? I didn't have any idea on what to give you. But, I wanted it to be special. Last night, I watched over the stars and they reminded me of you. That's why I even bought a telescope. Expensive but it's for you. Forgive me for the absence earlier; I wanted to spend time with you alone. I hope I was worth the wait.

            Happy Birthday. I love you.

            The next page, Nayeon wrote down:

          You didn't ask for it but my birthday wish? Is to spend my next hundred birthdays with you. Thank you, Jeongyeon. I love you too.