Angels

Angels

The blonde girl was on her way to class, thinking hard about how she was going to return Momo's notebook without her knowing. She felt like she'd seen something that was certainly not meant for her eyes - she felt guilty, but at the same time, she's happy that she's seen it. It gave her some assurance that her desk-mate didn't think of her as merely 'that lazy and smelly classmate who also has the sleeping habits of a sloth'.

 

Upon stepping into her classroom, the seat next to hers was empty. Jeongyeon let out a silent sigh of relief. She slipped the biology notebook into her desk-mate's drawer.

 

 

*

 

 

"Well, evidence does suggest that she may feel the same way." The taller girl said thoughtfully, her hand placed on her chin.

 

"Ask her out!!" The shorter girl beamed, her long, raven-feather hair flopping behind her as she jumped up and down around her senior excitedly. "She obviously likes you back, Jeong."

 

" It's just a drawing of me, girls. Chae, you draw me really often too, don't you?" Jeongyeon reasoned.

 

Chaeyoung gave a frustrated expression. "That's because I'm practically besties with all of you! I don't write things like 'missing u' on my drawings! Or stare at you for no reason! Or, probably the most convincing one - blush at you! She's so obvious and you're so OBLIVIOUS!"

 

Tzuyu nodded in agreement, flipping her dark brown hair out of her face. "I remember her blushing quite hard on the day of the inter-school relay. She's pretty cute, and you seem to like her a lot."

 

"But still..."

 

"Just do it!" The black-haired girl shouted as she did the iconic Shia Labeouf 'Just Do It' pose. (She may not have noticed it, but Tzuyu was silently judging her from the back.)

 

The door behind the three girls opened, and another girl with wavy brown hair walked in.

 

"Jihyo!" Chaeyoung enthusiastically lunged at her teammate. It's been two weeks since she came down with chicken pox, and today she was finally well enough to attend school and not spread the dreaded disease like the plague.

 

Jihyo chuckled. "Hey, Chae. I missed you a lot. The rooftop's really quiet without you around, you know?"

 

"Perhaps that was for the better." Tzuyu teased, earning a sulky expression from Chaeyoung.

 

"You say that now, but I remember you complaining to me that break was boring without Chae around a few days ago." Jihyo then noticed that there was someone missing from their usual lunch gang. "Where's Mina?"

 

"Dance practice probably. Spring Dance is coming up soon, and she told me that she's performing." The Taiwanese girl informed them.

 

"Really? She never told me though." Chaeyoung said, this time sounding slightly less cheerful as before; but she was quick to change the topic before anyone could notice anything. "Anyway! We're here to discuss about Jeongyeon's crush on her desk-mate in class!"

 

Jeongyeon got up, ready to strangle her big-mouthed friend. "Shut up! We're on an open-air rooftop for god's sake, anyone downstairs could hear you!"

 

The senior chased the sophomore all around the place like cat and mouse. Tzuyu swore that Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung may be high school students physically, but mentally, they have the minds of a kindergartener. 

 

Spring Dance..? That's it!

 

 Jihyo's face lit up, "Why don't you ask her to Spring Dance?" she suggested.

 

Both girls froze in place, the shorter one looking as if she saw a pile of gold, the taller one looking as if she saw a ghost.

 

"That's a great idea!" Chaeyoung exclaimed, giving Jihyo a big thumbs up.

 

Jeongyeon slumped her shoulders, looking discouraged. "I'll never bring up the courage to ask her that. It's too soon."

 

Jihyo sighed, "You always say that! 'It's too soon'. Nothing is ever 'just the right timing' for you when it comes to things like this."

 

"If y'all don't mind, I need to go to the ladies for a moment," Tzuyu excused herself, "I'll be back in 5."

 

"Okay." Jihyo said before continuing, "Jeong, you have to take up your own initiative to acheive about you want. You can't just expect things you want to just happen to you."

 

"Just imagine she's a competition you want to win!" Chaeyoung beamed innocently, trying to cheer up her senior who wasn't exactly feeling very good with herself right now.

 

Jeongyeon shook her head. "She isn't just a competition I want to conquer and boast about in my college application. When I saw her on the first day, the way she acts, the way she talks, the way she smiles - I already knew she was the one. It's like listening to a song for the first time, and instantly knowing that it would be your jam. She's special, and I don't want to mess up."

 

"It's exactly because she's that special to you, that you should have more self-confidence and take the initiative to tell her before the opportunity slips past!" Jihyo put both of her hands on her friend's shoulder, "...You don't want history to repeat itself, don't you? What happened with her..."

 

The blonde girl raised her head immediately at those words, her brows tightening in annoyance. "Didn't I tell you to not bring her up anymore?"

 

"You don't want the same thing that happened with her to happen to Momo, Yoo Jeongyeon. That time if you at least spoke up-"

 

"She is not Momo and Momo isn't her. I don't want to hear anyone talk about anything regarding her anymore!" Jeongyeon shouted angrily.

 

Chaeyoung, panicking, tried to lower the aminosity between the two. "Girls, let's just calm down-"

 

"Jeong!" Tzuyu emerged from the rooftop entrance, with Jeongyeon's phone in her hand, "I did the asking for you."

 

"You did WHAT?" Jeongyeon screamed, gaping wide as she put both of her hands in her pockets, noticing that her phone was missing. "Since when did you take my phone?!"

 

"I took it when I was about to leave."

 

Jeongyeon didn't even bother to give Tzuyu a reaction - she just snatched her phone back as fast as physically possible and opened up her chats.

 

-

(Unknown number)

Hey Momo, Jeongyeon here. I was wondering if

you would go to Spring Dance with me?

1.14pm

That is if no one asked you yet ^^

1.14pm

Sure, I'd love to. :)

1.15pm

-

 

"Tzuyu, you're a genius." Chaeyoung said, her expression equally as surprised as the other two.

 

"How did you even get her number?"

 

"I have my connections." Tzuyu boasted to Jihyo proudly.

 

While the two of them wonder in awe at how Tzuyu managed to pull off all of this, Jeongyeon was left frozen in place, her heart pounding so hard she swore it was going to pop out of her chest any moment.

 

She said yes.