And We Go Right Back Where It Started

Running After Yesterdays

' Are you sure you have everything? Don't forget to pack some spare clothes in your carry on. You never know with these checked in luggages if they choose to magically get lost like socks in the laundry ' Mina heard her mum's voice through the phone's speakers.

 

' Yes, don't worry. Momo and Sana will be picking me up from the airport. If my luggage goes missing, I can just grab their clothes. It is a direct flight so what are the chances of that happening? Anyway, I will call you when I land. I have to get changed and go to the airport soon. Thanks for everything. I love you ' She continued the conversation for a few more minutes before ending the call.

 

Mina let out a sigh as she packed the last of her things and zipped up her luggage. She knew better this time to pack slightly lighter. It has been almost more a year since she left Korea and the idea of heading back there again was a mix of emotions. She was excited that she would be moving back into the apartment that she used to share with her old friends, Momo and Sana. Yet, at the same time being in close proximity with her 'on again, off again' girlfriend scares her. She knew she has to focus this time around and not get distracted. Her heart is stronger now or at least that was what she thought.

—————————————————————————————————— //

 

' I cannot believe you won't be back for my birthday! You said you love me! ' Mina could only let out a heavy sigh when she heard the call being ended on the other side.

 

'Are you okay? It's her again isn't it? I don't understand why you keep doing this to yourself. You don't get angry when she doesn't pick up your calls for a week but you beat yourself up just because you miss ONE of her video calls? ' BamBam nudges Mina while handing her a cup of iced Americano.

 

'Thanks. She's just upset because I left just like that.' Mina tries to reason it out.

 

'Sure, you will always find excuses for her because you're crazy in love with her. Anyway, do you want to grab dinner together after work?' Bambam offered 

 

' Actually, I was going planning on heading straight home. Sorry, let's do lunch together tomorrow instead?' Mina apologized. She knew that as soon as she is done with work she would be busy trying to call her girlfriend all night in hopes that the girl would actually pick up her calls.

 

' Sure. I guess I'll have to grab some drinks with the boys then' Bambam smiled as he walked away, leaving Mina alone again.

Mina took another glance at her phone's wallpaper before putting the phone back into her pocket. She knew it was not going to be easy from the very start and she has no one but herself to blame. Falling for a straight girl and expecting to be loved? Perhaps it was not love to begin with but just having someone by your side through tough times.

Mina went back to work and her day ended the same way like most of her nights in Okinawa. As lucky as she is to be living the island life again, it was one of the many nights that she wished she was still in Korea so that the distance between her and Nayeon would be a lot closer.

Mina stared at the bare ceiling of her small cosy room. It has been only two months since she called the island her home but she was adjusting to everything very well. Her new colleagues have been nothing but nice and amazing. She remembered the argument she had with Nayeon a few days before she left Korea. They were fighting over Mina's decision to packing everything and leaving the country with such short notice.

' Why are you so angry? You were the one who told me if I was not happy here, I should move. ' Mina said out loud from the kitchen

 

' Yes, but I didn't think you would move next week. We only had this conversation a few days ago and how can you leave me just like that? ' Nayeon replied as she walked out of the bathroom

 

' Well, I just applied for the job posting and they offered me the job. The contract is only for a year. You look beautiful. ' Mina explained herself before moving closer to give Nayeon a peck on the lips

 

' You cannot just kiss your way out of this one. I'm happy for you, I truly am. I just wish we had more time with each other before you go. ' Nayeon pouted

 

' My flight is not until Monday. We have plenty of time. ' Mina gave Nayeon a back hug, giving girl another kiss on her shoulder.

 

' You do realize that it is Wednesday today right? ' Nayeon frowned

 

' Yes, and you're going to be late for dinner with your friends if you don't get going. ' Mina pointed at the wall clock

 

' I'll call you tonight, maybe we will bump into each other ' Nayeon turned around from the mirror to face Mina.

 

' Sure, I'll be with Momo and Sana at the usual spot. So you know where to find me ' Mina smiled

 

' You live with each other but you still go out all the time together. You drop everything and run to them when they call. You love them more than you love me. Are you sure there is nothing going on between you and Sana? ' Nayeon frowned again

 

' Come on. Don't be silly. I've been friends with them since forever and the three of us have been living together since I moved to Korea. Let's not start this, not tonight' Mina spoke while she puts on her sneakers.

 

' Fine. I love you. Let's have lunch tomorrow ' Nayeon replied as she slips on her heels

 

' I have lunch plans tomorrow. Sana plans on having a BBQ at the apartment. You know you can join us right? ' Mina told Nayeon as they held hands walking along the road waiting for a cab

 

' Again?! You see them all the time. ' Nayeon pulls her hand away from Mina's 

 

' I can come over after lunch. ' Mina suggested as she flags down an empty cab for Nayeon

 

'Forget it. You just don't get it. ' Nayeon shakes her head

 

' I love you ' Mina gave Nayeon a kiss as she opens the door for the girl

 

' I love you too ' Nayeon returns the kiss before entering the cab.

 

Nayeon waves at Mina as the cab pulls away. She lets out a sigh wondering if Mina truly meant it when she said she loves her. Nayeon never thought she would fall for a girl. She grew up attending an all-girls high school and college. Though she did have her own fair share of admirers, she never found herself attracted to any of the girls.

But Mina was different. It all started because of the incident at the salon. Nayeon was waiting for her roommate, Jihyo, to finish getting her nails done when Mina walked and sat on the couch next to Nayeon. The owner of the salon kept teasing Mina for some reason asking Mina if she finds Nayeon pretty. 

'Nayeon, be careful of the girl sitting next to you. She's quite a player.' the owner teased.

 

'Unnie, is this how you treat me now?' Mina whined

 

'Well, you have been gone for close to 3 months. So much for 'I'll be back in a month'.' the owner teased again

 

'Is she new here?' Mina asked, pointing to Nayeon

 

'They both just moved into the neighbourhood last month. Nayeon's really pretty isn't she?' the owner continued teasing, Jihyo completly oblivious to everything as she bobbed her head to the music from her earphones.

 

'Unnie.....' Nayeon mumbled

 

'Mina, if you're interested just add her on SNS. Her profile name is Im Na Yeon. You can search her on my profile' the owner was on a roll teasing both girls

 

'Check your phone, I just sent you a friend request' Nayeon heard the girl speak. She found herself staring at Mina, dumbfounded.

 

'Unnie, I have to go. Sana and Momo just ordered jokbal. Hope to see you around, Nayeon. It was nice to meet you,' Mina smiled at Nayeon before leaving

 

'Did I miss something?' Jihyo asked as she heard the bells on the salon's door jingle when she took off her earphones.

 

'Oh, nothing much. Maybe just the start of something' the owner of the salon winked at Nayeon as she finishes up Jihyo's nails.

 

Nayeon stared at her phone. ' New Friend Request : Myoui Mina '. 

 

' Just accept it. Mina's really nice. I was just kidding about her being a player. She's single, if you're wondering.' The owner spoke as if she knew what was going through Nayeon's mind.

 

Nayeon accepted the friend request and found herself looking through Mina's profile. And the next thing she knew, she found herself sitting across Mina. A lunch date. Three days after their first meeting at the salon.

 —————————————————————————————————— //