Part 4

Letting Love Step Back

Y/N is 20 years old. She just finished her second year at a prestigious university in the states and is now in Korea for a semester abroad. She likes turtles and vanilla milkshakes and the color purple.


 

That’s what she tells Haechan the next day.


 

They’ve met up in their favorite café and where before it was only Haechan and Renjun, it’s now Haechan, Renjun and Y/N.


 

At times, he feels like the third wheel. Because Y/N is gorgeous and sometimes she throws Renjun a glance that he catches like a well-thrown volleyball, reciprocating it with an almost unnoticeable grin of his own and she would lean down to whisper something inaudible into his ear, her dark eyebrows raising up in secrecy. But most of the time, really, Y/N tries her best to include Haechan in the conversation.


 

She asks about his hobbies and talks about her own. She asks about his favorite dishes, favorite video games and Haechan slowly gets comfortable with her questioning.


 

It’s then that the words slip out of his mouth. “Why are you here?”


 

It’s not meant to be offensive. Asking her that. He is just curious why out of all the countries in the world, she would chose Korea to return to for her studies.


 

But she freezes at his question like having been shot. Retracting her hands that had been playing with the glass, she forces a big, fat, fake smile onto her lips.


 

“Good question.”


 

And that’s the end of their conversation.