01.

beautiful ending | jjk + myg

beau·ti·ful
adjective
pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically

end·ing
noun
an end or final part of something, especially a period of time, an activity, or a book or movie

___

day count: ⅰ

The hazel haired boy stepped outside of his room when he heard the ruckus. Several paramedics and nurses were asking for a doctor. They pushed the patient in a stretcher towards the operation room. A doctor ran up to the patient. He asked what happened, trying to get a response from the patient.

The hazel haired boy peered over to sneak a peek at the new patient. The patient had black hair and a pale complexion. Blood was drenching his white shirt and arms. The boy was trying to get a better look at the mysterious person but was caught by his nurse. "Jungkook, what are you doing out of your room? You should be resting. Go back right now." The nurse was pushing Jungkook back into his room, but he stopped her.

"What happened to him?" Jungkook pointed to the boy covered in blood that was now in the operation room.

"You know I can't tell you that Jungkook. You're not his family so I can't release that kind of information." Jungkook frowned. He was curious about the unconscious boy and wanted to find out more.

"Can I at least have his name?" He pouted, trying to get his nurse to give in. The nurse sighed and Jungkook smiled knowing that his pout worked.

"He doesn't have one. When the paramedics found him, he had no identification." The nurse walked Jungkook back to his room. She was about to leave but turned back to her patient. "If his surgery is successful, I'll let you visit him." Jungkook grin widened and nodded his head.

___

day count: ⅲ

Jungkook let out a frustrated groan. He was sitting on his bed, staring up at the white ceiling. He had been waiting for his nurse to give him information on the mysterious boy that came in a few days ago. All Jungkook wanted was to know if the new patient was okay. He didn't even know the person but he felt drawn to the other boy.

"Jungkook?" Jungkook shot out of his bed and looked at his nurse. She stood by the door with a frown present on her face.

"W-what happened to him? Is he o-okay? Please tell me he's fine," Jungkook stuttered as he walked towards the nurse.

"Don't worry, Jungkook. He's fine but..." Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows. "He's in a coma. I'm not sure when he'll wake up."

Jungkook's face fell. "At least he's alive," he muttered under his breath. "Has his family visit him yet? Can I visit him?"

The nurse shook her head. "We still can't find any information on him. The police already came by and are asking around if anyone knows him." She turned away from Jungkook. She motioned for the patient to come with her. "Let's go see him. I promised you after all." Jungkook smiled and quickly followed after his nurse.

They walked a short distance from Jungkook's room. The nurse opened the door for Jungkook, allowing the younger to walk inside first while she stayed by the door. The nurse told Jungkook she was going to leave and come back for him later. The patient hummed in response. Once he heard the click of the door, Jungkook quickly ran to the unconscious boy. "Hi, I'm Jungkook." Jungkook held the boy's delicates hands in his. "I'll make sure to visit you every day. I promise."

___

day count: ⅵ

Jungkook was back at the mysterious boy's room for the fourth time. Jungkook had decided he would visit the boy every day and keep him company. He would talk to the unconscious boy despite never receiving an answerback.

Jungkook sat in the chair situated by the bed with the unconscious boy. He glanced over at the paler male. "Hey, I just realized. I don't have a name to call you. I'll give you a nickname...how about suga?" Jungkook said the nickname in English, completely forgetting to pronounce the r in the word sugar. "I like it. It reminds me of your skin because it's pale."

___

day count: ⅸ

Jungkook watched the television installed in Suga's room. Jungkook turned to Suga, "I wish I had one in my room. It's so boring in there. Especially if you've been there for a few years. Which is why I wander around the hospital a lot. Noona (his nurse), says I'm not supposed to, but oh well." Jungkook waited for an answer but didn't get one. He sighed and turned his attention back to the television screen.

Jungkook grabbed the remote and flipped through the channels until he saw the news channel. He turned the volume up so that he could hear the new anchor talk clearly. They were talking about Suga. They even had a picture of him flashed on the screen. "If you are this boy's relative or even acquaintances please contact the police. This young boy is currently in the hospital with a coma but his identity is still unknown. If you know any information about him please–" Jungkook switched off the television. He turned back to Suga and held his hand.

"I guess the police still haven't found information on you if they had they make it public. I hope your family comes soon, you must miss them." Jungkook paused, "Do you have a family? It's okay if you don't because I don't. I mean, I do but they don't visit me anymore. They said they have more important things than visit their sick son." Jungkook wiped away his tears. "It's okay though because I have you and you have me."

___

day count: ⅻ

Jungkook came rushing into Suga's room with a guitar in his hand. He stumbled over his feet but was careful enough not to break the item. He took a seat in his chair by the bed. He had a wide smile on his face. "Guess what, Suga!" He waited a bit, "I got a guitar! Technically it belongs to my doctor but he gave it to me since he bought a new one. So I guess it's mine now. I'm so happy I finally got one because you can hear me sing."

Jungkook put the guitar in the correct position. He played around a bit since this would be the first time he has touched a guitar in a few years. He let out a sequel, "I'm a bit rusty. I haven't played or sung in a while. I hope you like it."

[insert paper hearts covered by jungkook]

___

day count: xix

Jungkook hadn't visited his Suga in a week. For an entire week, Suga was left alone in his plain white room. With the exception of the daily checkups from the nurses and doctors.

The door to Suga's room was weakly pushed open. Jungkook walked in, but his appearance was off. He was much paler, nearly as pale as Suga. Jungkook seemed to be tired and skinner. Jungkook trudged to his designated seat in a very sluggish movement. Once he sat down, he intertwined his bony fingers with Suga's cold hand. Jungkook rested his head on the mattress. He unknowingly let his tears fall. "I-I'm sorry I broke my promise. I d-didn't visit y-you for a week. I'm so s-sorry. You must have been lonely." Jungkook brought his head up and in air to stabilize his uneven breathing. He used his other hand to wipe away his tears. "I have bad news. The doctors said I might have only until the end of the month to live." Jungkook weakly smiled," I never told you, but I have an illness. It's an illness that the doctor's don't know about. That's why I've been locked up in the hospital." Jungkook softly chuckled, "I want to get to know you before I'm gone." He traced the outline of Suga's face as his tears continued to fall.

"Will you wake up for me?"

___

day count: xxiii

Despite being on the brink of death, Jungkook insisted on visiting his sweet Suga. He told his doctor and nurse that if he was gonna die then he was gonna spend his last breath with Suga.

Jungkook wasn't sitting in the chair this time. Instead, he was on the small bed with Suga. He squished himself by Suga's side. While the pale boy laid down flat on the bed, Jungkook sat up with his knees to his chest. Jungkook had several pieces of origami paper scattered on the bed. He really wanted to give Suga a bouquet of flowers when he woke up but Jungkook was afraid he wasn't going to make it on time. Instead of buying actual flowers that would decay, he was going to make Suga a bouquet of origami flowers.

After several tries and dozens of wasted paper, Jungkook finally completed one with a stem and everything. He turned towards Suga and placed the stem on Suga's eyes. Jungkook smiled sadly at his friend, "I don't want to leave you behind."

___

day count: xxv

Today, Jungkook was feeling much better. The color was coming back to his skin and he no longer felt exhausted from nothing. Jungkook was excited to go see Suga and tell him the good news. "Maybe I won't die after all," Jungkook told himself.

Jungkook barged into Suga's room with a wide grin, but that fell when he saw unfamiliar people staring at him. A middle age woman was crying while an older male was holding her in his embrace. The man had an emotionless expression. There was also another boy there that looked very similar to Suga but younger.

The man spoke to Jungkook in a stern tone, "Who are you? What the hell do you want?"

Jungkook flinched due to the man's words. "H-hello. I'm Jeon J-Jungkook. I've been keeping Su– that boy company since he had no family." Jungkook gulped, "A-are you his family?"

The woman released herself from the man's hold. She made her way to Jungkook and pulled him into a hug. "Thank you for keeping my son company. He would have been lonely if you weren't by his side. We don't live in Seoul with him. We live in Daegu so we didn't hear the news until a family friend contacted us." Jungkook awkwardly hugged the woman back.

The woman's husband broke the hug up. "Now that we are here, you don't need to visit my son anymore." His wife hit him on the chest for being rude. She was going to say something but was cut off. "Jihoon, take the stranger out of here. I don't want him around your brother." The Suga-lookalike, Jihoon nodded as he gently pushed Jungkook out of the room. When both males were out the room, Jungkook turned around.

"I'm sorry about my dad. He's very protective of my older brother," Jihoon apologized.

Jungkook shook his head," It's fine, but can you tell me something about your brother?" Jihoon nodded. "What's his name?"

"Min Yoongi."

Jungkook murmured a small thank you and headed back to his room. "Min Yoongi," he liked the way the name slipped past his slips so smoothly. "Even your name is beautiful."

___

day count: xxix

Jungkook wasn't able to see Suga, he now knows as Yoongi, because the father wouldn't let him. He missed being in Yoongi's company even though it was like talking to air.

Jungkook had been doing nothing throughout his days without Yoongi. He would occasionally see Jihoon in the hallway. Jihoon would tell Jungkook Yoongi's status, which is still unconscious.

Instead of spending his day doing nothing, Jungkook decided to write a letter to Yoongi. He stole a sheet of paper and a pencil from the front desk. Jungkook ran back to his room and immediately began to write.

___

day count: xxxi

Jungkook was pacing around his room while he bit on his nail. Today was his supposedly last day of living. He only had thirty minutes until it was officially the end of the month. Although Jungkook felt completely fine, he was worried that something would go wrong once the clock struck twelve. "Stop worrying, you'll be fine. All that matters is spending the rest of the night with Yoongi."

Jungkook grabbed the finished bouquet and the handwritten letter. He opened his door slightly and peeked his head out. Luckily there weren't that many doctors present on his floor. Jungkook snuck out his room and made a short trip to Yoongi's room. Jungkook wouldn't have to worry about Yoongi's father since visiting hours ended a while ago.

Jungkook slipped himself into Yoongi's room and saw the latter laying peaceful on the bed. Jungkook set the flowers and letter on the nightstand. He climbed into the bed with Yoongi. Since it was a small bed, Jungkook wrapped his arms around Yoongi's frame and tangled their legs together. Jungkook brushed the hair away from Yoongi's face. He stared at Yoongi for quite awhile. "Yoongi...I'm scared. I'm scared that I'm going to die. I'm not afraid of death itself but scared that I will never live to see you wake up. I really wanted to get to know you." Jungkook rested his head on Yoongi's chest as he waited. He glanced at the clock on the wall. Counting down the seconds before the big hand hit twelve.

5.

4.

3.

2.

1.

The clock struck 12 but Jungkook was still alive and breathing. Jungkook sat up and looked down at Yoongi. "Yoongi, I didn't die! Now all I need is for you to wake up. When you do, I won't be afraid of dying." Jungkook laid back down, nuzzling himself into Yoongi. "Please wake up for me."

___

day count: xxxii

Jungkook jolted up, letting out an abnormal series of coughs. He banged on his chest as he gasped for air. The coughing made it hard for him to breathe properly. Tears began to well up at his eyes. However, those coughs became overshadowed by several beeps. Jungkook's eyes widened, recognizing the beeps. He whipped his head towards Yoongi's heart monitor. Yoongi's heart rate was insanely low.

Jungkook pushed himself off of the bed but he collapsed to the floor. The coughing continued as a burning sensation rose in Jungkook's chest. The beeping from the heart monitor was going crazy. This was enough to make Jungkook get off the floor and rush towards the door. He swung it open causing a bang. He screamed for help between coughs. A nurse ran to him to see the problem and then she heard the beeping. The nurse rushed past Jungkook and screamed for help. Shortly after, several nurses and doctors were dashing into Yoongi's room. The doctor was yelling medical terms at the nurses that Jungkook couldn't comprehend.

Jungkook was still coughing uncontrollably. He leaned against a wall as he hit his chest and scratched his throat. Jungkook desperately needed medical attention but he didn't let his condition bother him. He was more concern over Yoongi. Luckily, a nurse saw Jungkook, "Hey are you okay? I'll bring you to another room and get you a doctor." Jungkook pushed the nurse away. He didn't want to leave the room until he knew Yoongi was okay. The nurse was trying to drag him out but Jungkook wouldn't allow her to.

Jungkook lacked so much oxygen in his lungs to the point he collapsed again. The nurse called for help. Jungkook kept his eyes on Yoongi's heart monitor. A male nurse came in and easily picked Jungkook up off the floor. Jungkook thrashed around, refusing any treatment until he saw Yoongi heart rate stabilize.

Jungkook's vision was beginning to get blurry as black dotes covered it. The last thing Jungkook heard before blacking out was the monitor flatlining.

___

day count: xxxv

Yoongi slowly sat up on the bed. He rubbed his eyes and glanced around. He noticed this wasn't his bedroom. He looked at the equipment around him and realized he was at the hospital. Yoongi was feeling kind of empty. He felt like he was missing something. Yoongi turned to his side and saw the envelope with his name written on it. He picked it up and opened the envelope. He took the nicely written letter out and read it.

dear yoongi, 
       hi, if you're reading this that means you finally woke up. you've been a coma for a month. don't worry, i kept you company. i stayed by your side and talked to you even though you never replied. every day, i hoped that you would wake up and talk to me. i told you all about me but i don't know anything about you except your name. you could thank jihoon for that. your brother is nice, he always made sure to tell me your condition. you're probably wondering where i am. if im not there while you're reading this that means i died. it's okay, i expected this. i just wish we could've talked for a bit before my time ended. i really wanted to hear your voice. i bet it sounds beautiful because everything about you is beautiful. this pen is running out of ink so i'll end the letter soon. i just wanted to say that i'll always miss you and i'll never forget you. so don't forget me, my sweet suga.

sincerely,
jeon jungkook

Yoongi clenched onto to the sheet of paper as he sobbed to himself. He knew what was missing, it was Jungkook. While Yoongi was in his coma, he could hear everything Jungkook told him. He heard Jungkook crying. He heard Jungkook singing. He heard everything. Yoongi ripped the iv needle out of his arm. He got off the bed and quickly ran, trying to find Jungkook. After asking around, he found the latter's room. He pushed the door open, but to his dismay, the room was completely empty. There was no sign of Jungkook. Yoongi fell to the floor and tightly gripped on his clothes. He never spoke to Jungkook but just by listening, he felt like he's known him for years. The fact that Jungkook is gone broke Yoongi's hearts.

"I didn't even get to say thank you."

___

| author's note

If you didn't get the message, Jungkook is dead. If you thought you were gonna get a beautiful ending like the title implied then you are totally wrong. I made the title so that it would make you think there was a happy ending. I had no thoughts whatsoever about a happy ending. I wanted this book to end on a sad note because I'm a er for angst.

Anyways, I know some of you probably hate me for crushing your yoonkook heart...I'm willing to write an alternative ending. Should I....

keep the original ending and write an epilogue

or

alternate ending one

or 

alternate ending two

In one of the alternate endings, Jungkook still dies, but I'm not saying which one...so you better choose wisely.

Thanks for reading! Authornim out!

[ edited; 5/5/18 at 12:34pm ]