resolved

because it's you

 

 

It was a warm spring day. The flowers were just about to bloom, and the birds had just come back. The sun was out and high in the air, its rays shining down on the earth. The clacking of Jessica’s heels were all that she was focused on. She pushed up her sunglasses with her free hand, her other hand holding onto a very expensive looking purse. After pushing her sunglasses up, she checked her watch, startled when her phone rang. Jessica rummaged through her purse for her phone and checked it for the caller ID. Why was her secretary always calling when she was busy?

“What is it now, Sunny?”

“Um, I know you’re out on your lunch break right now, but I was just making sure you remembered that you have a meeting with the new models later tonight.”

“I wouldn’t forget anything that important. Are you done now?” Jessica let out a sigh as she arrived at her destination, tilting her head up to look at the sign before turning around to face the busy streets of Los Angeles, waiting for her secretary to respond.

“Yes, that is all. Hope you have a goㅡ”

Jessica hung up before Sunny could finish her sentence. She dropped her phone back into her purse and turned around to open the door, taking off her sunglasses as she looked around the cafe. When thinking about a cafe, people would usually think about a quaint, cute looking cafe, settled on the corner of the block, but this cafe was different. It was smack dab in the middle of downtown Los Angeles, in the fashion district, with businessmen and women swiftly on their way to their next destination, tourists here and there, and just people bustling around. The cafe was chic and stylish, with stainless steel counters, a few leather couches around coffee tables, and bright lights. The sunlight from outside coming through the windows had overpowered the lights though, so it seemed as if the lights weren’t even on. There was music playing softly, becoming the background to the voices that were talking to each other.

Jessica found an empty table near the terrace and made her way over there. She pulled out a chair, setting her purse down on the empty seat next to her as she let out a soft sigh. Her hand reached into her purse and pulled out her phone, her fingers working quick to type out replies to messages before she looked through her schedule for the rest of the day. After lunch was a meeting with a representative from New York Fashion Week, which was projected to last about an hour or so. After that was some work time (which usually consisted of trying to sketch out new ideas, trying to bring ideas to life, and falling onto the couch in her studio office space in exasperation) and then to end it all, there was a meeting with some new modelsㅡ five of them, to be exact. If she remembered right, Sunny told her that their names were Irene, Athena, Wendy, Joy, and Katy.

Just as she set her phone down on the table, a waitress came over to take her order. The waitress was donned in a simple but chic uniform, with monochromatic browns accented with a lavender apron tied at the waist.

“Hello, can I take your order?” The waitress smiled, and to the average person, it looked like a genuine smile, but Jessica was able to read expressions quite well, considering that she worked in a field full of fake people. It was one of those customer service smiles, but she couldn’t blame the poor girl. Some customers really could be horrible, especially if they were rich and arrogant. Jessica’s eyes darted to the nametag. Victoria. Her eyes then scanned over her face, an eyebrow raised slightly. Victoria could make it big as a model.

Jessica gave the menu a quick glance before replying. “I’ll just have an iced americano.”

“Very well, I will be back with your order soon.” Victoria nodded, and before she could turn around, Jessica stopped her.

“Have you ever considered becoming a model?” Jessica cocked her head slightly before she turned to her purse and pulled out her wallet, taking out her business card and handing it to her. “Give me a call if you’re interested. You could make it big, trust me.”

“Thank you,” Victoria replied with a big smile. “I’ll think this over.”

With that, the waitress left back to the counter, giving the order back to the baristas. Jessica turned her head to look out the window to the terrace, and furrowed her brows when she saw someone sitting by herself. It wasn’t that she thought it was weirdㅡ she was sitting by herself tooㅡ but that the woman looked really familiar; Jessica just couldn’t put a name or memory to the face. She continued to look at the familiar stranger’s face and features. The soft chestnut colored hair cascading down her back moved slightly when the breeze came by and with her free hand, she pushed the hair in her face back. Her dark hair was contrasted with the baby pink pantsuit she wore over her cream colored button up and her whole outfit was finished off and accented with a pair of ivory closed toe Louboutins. Just with a glance of her outfit, Jessica could tell that it was an expensive outfit. It would make sense though; everyone in this cafe had to be at least a little rich, since it was a high end cafe after all. Said stranger was on the phone and when she laughed, which caused her eyes to close into crescent moons, Jessica remembered exactly who the stranger was as all the memories between the two of them flooded back.

Once her coffee arrived, she grabbed her purse and her coffee, standing up from the table as she made her way to the terrace, heels clacking against the tiled floor, sounds of other people talking becoming the background to the sound. Jessica waited at the door to the terrace until the other was done talking on the phoneㅡ which, fortunately, wasn’t longㅡ until she opened the door and started towards the woman. As she walked, she suddenly started to feel nervous. She took a deep breath, mentally shaking off her nerves right as she arrived at the table.

With the new presence at the table, the other woman looked up at Jessica.

“I was right, it is you.” Jessica started, motioning to the empty seat across from the woman. “Can I sit?”

The woman was frozen for a while before she nodded. “Y-yeah, go ahead.”

“The weather is amazing today, don’t you think?” Jessica raised a brow as she pulled out the chair and sat, setting her purse and coffee on the table.

“Yeah, can’t complain, but Jessica. You forget that we live in Los Angeles where it’s like this most days.” The woman let out a small laugh, running her hand through her hair to push it back just as the wind blew.

Jessica took a sip of her americano through the straw before answering. “True, actually. How have you been, Tiffany?”

“I’ve been fine.” Tiffany replied, sounding much more confident than before, crossing her arms. “And yourself? I see you’ve made a name for yourself.”

“I’m great.” Jessica leaned back in her chair. “And I could say the same to you, Miss Chart Topper. You’ve just debuted, but you’ve already been named one of the hottest singers and you’re making big bucks.”

“You should be great, you left me to become big,” Tiffany murmured under her breath, scoffing before she looked at Jessica in the eyes. “Couldn’t have done it with all my supportive loved ones.”

“Ouch,” Jessica shot back, her words dripping with sarcasm, “You don’t have to subtweet me in person.”

“Alright then,” Tiffany leaned forward, her arms were still crossed, but now they were on the table. “Let’s start with question one. The question that’s been plaguing me for two years now. Why did you leave me without giving me a reason? Why did you leave me wondering why I wasn’t good enough? Why’d you leave me trying to look for all my flaws that I had to fix?”

Jessica was shocked with the amount of honesty that Tiffany had even though this was the first time they were meeting after they had broken up years ago. She bit her lip, her eyes casted on the ground. “No reason. I just lost feelings, I guess.”

“You were never really honest, I suppose.” Tiffany sighed and shrugged one of her shoulders, picking up her latte and taking a sip from it.

“That’s all there is to it, Tiffany.” Jessica followed with a sigh, “And it’s up to you if you want to believe it or not. You were never one to believe my words anyway, I suppose.”

To this, Tiffany scoffed again. The audacity, she thought to herself, anger slowly rising in her. “Lies after lies, Jessica. Our whole relationship was built on them, wasn’t it?”

Jessica fiddled with her fingers, her eyes stuck on how her americano was condensing in the warm spring weather. She could see that the ice was melting, and right now, she could relate to it so much. Tiffany was the warm spring day melting down the ice that had formed around Jessica’s heart.

“Don’t say that.” Jessica’s voice was small, her eyes still casted down.

At Jessica’s weird reply, Tiffany raised a brow. “Don’t say what, exactly?”

Jessica looked up and into Tiffany’s eyes. “Don’t say that our relationship was built on lies.”

“Wasn’t it though? Why don’t you tell me why you left then?” Tiffany was getting more and more angry at Jessica, dropping her hands into her lap as she clenched them into fists.

“I told you already! That’s the whole thing, that’s the whole reason! That’s all there is to it!” Now Jessica was getting agitated too, her eyes sharp.

“Cut the bull, Jess.” This was the first time while talking today that Tiffany referred to Jessica with her nickname. It was somewhat heartwarming, but Jessica couldn’t really revel during this intense argument. “I know that you losing feelings wasn’t the real reason. You wouldn’t lose feelings that fast, knowing how long you said you were crushing on me and wanted to be with me.”

“Fine!” Jessica snapped back, “You want to know why I left? It wasn’t because I lost feelings, because lord knows I am still so in love with you.”

Tiffany’s eyes widened, shock filling her. She couldn’t say anything. What was there to say when the person you loved who left you years ago just told you that they’re still in love with you?

Jessica continued on, “It also wasn’t because I went to chase my dreams and aspirations, if that’s your back up reasoning. I would never leave you for a career, no matter how good it would be.”

“Then what’s your reason? You just keep countering the reasons I thought, but when are you going to tell me the real reason why you left?” Tiffany crossed her arms once more, leaning back in her chair.

“I…” Jessica started, looking down onto her lap, sighing before replying to the question. “I left because I didn’t feel like I was enough. I felt that you could do better than just settling for me. You were too good for me, you deserved better.” Jessica then looked up and into Tiffany’s eyes, “You’re perfect, Tiffany. You’re so amazing and you have such a lovable personality and it just pulls everyone to you. And me? I’m just…. Me. When people see me, they’re intimidated. I’m an ice princess, according to everyone. Don’t you think I heard the words going around? ‘Oh, how did Jessica and Tiffany get together?’ ‘Why are they even together? Jessica’s such a .’ I heard everything that was going around, Tiff. It hurt me.”

Tiffany was taken aback and her heart dropped to her stomach. She pursed her lips as her eyes casted onto the ground, focusing on the contrast of her shoes against the dark wood flooring of the terrace. She took a deep breath as she thought about what she was just told; this changed everything. Tiffany didn’t know what to say. Words were flying around in her mind, but she couldn’t say anything.

It took a little bit more before Tiffany spoke up. “I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m sorry you had to hear all of that. I’m sorry there were even words like that going around.” Tiffany then looked up at Jessica. What she was going to say next was going to be the bravest thing that she had done in a while. Just because Jessica was still in love with her didn’t mean that Jessica would still accept her, but she brushed everything away and went for it. “But I do want you to know that despite what anyone said,  I loved you with all my heart and I still do. And if you would want to give this another try, my arms are open for you. Because to me, it’s you. You’re the only one I can see myself loving.”

At this, Jessica’s eyes lit up, the ice around her heart melting as her body filled with the warmth of love. But she knew they couldn’t just go back to how they were. “I… We can’t just jump back in and continue from where we left off, but we can slowly go back to how we were, if you’re willing to stick by my side.”

The corners of Tiffany’s lips tugged into a smile, and she couldn’t help but laugh because she was of the happiness filling her, the crescent moons making a comeback. “I’ll always stick with you, Jess.”


hope y'all liked the easter egg characters LOL sunny, red velvet (with english names, bc i tried using people who also had english names bc i did this for class and i didn't want anyone knowing it was fanfic). I couldn't think of one for seulgi that started with an S and was still cool, so I chose Athena, since "seulgi" means wisdom. i almost cried re-reading this bc wow true love is real LOLOL but anyways!!! let me know what you think in the comments! also sorry that I haven't had time to update my other fics, but school is really drowning me in work. but it's almost over, so I'll have more time to work on my fics!