Day On A Bare Mountain

The Trouble With Destiny

Jimin glanced curiously at the small, hand-carved goose in his hand, running the sandpaper over its neck a couple of times to smooth out harsh lines. The powdery dust coated his hands, but he was finally happy with it, from the angle of the neck to the beak. He blew gently on it and held it up to eye level before holding it out towards Muji on his pillow. “What do you think?” he asked gently. “Will she like it?”

 

Muji opened one eye, peeked at the goose and leant forward to sniff at the light, fragrant wood.

 

He hauled it out of his reach, giggling at the ferocious sneeze he gave. “I hope she’ll like it more than that, hm?”

 

He had been in the complex for three weeks now, and was happier than he could ever remember being. He loved his room in Jin’s flat, even though the baksu had offered him the use of another flat entirely. He had refused, not only because he didn’t want to be alone again, but because Jin cooked like a dream and took care of him as if he was a member of his family. His room had little touches that was all him now: some posters on the walls, a row of capsule toys on the windowsill, and a hefty collection of study guides and books to go along with the laptop that served as a music station for the moment.

 

It only played music at the moment, and that’s because Jin was good enough to set up what he called a shortcut on the desktop that he could move the fake mouse to when he wanted to listen to something. It was a little hit-and-miss, given Jin’s tastes in music were a little different than his own, but it was music, and it was his and that filled him with a little rush of warmth every time he thought of it. Even if he didn't have the foggiest how it worked.

 

Jimin-ah,” came from the lounge area where Jin had been working. “It’s time to get ready, go and take the first bath!

 

Jimin jumped up eagerly, leaving the wood carving on the desk, and went for it. Traditionally, given that he was at least a few years younger than Jin, he would have been the last in the queue, but Jin was generous that way, and he didn’t need to be asked twice. The bathroom in the place was fantastic, given that he was used to a bucket of icy mountain spring water. The hot water also never ran out, a feat that surely included some magic, given that the inhabitants of the complex used as much of it as a spa would. Lee Songha-nim on the fourth floor practically lay in water the whole day, and complained about her robes getting stolen every time he went past to say hello in Jin's company.

 

Fifteen long, luxurious moments later, scrubbed and carefully shaved and with his hair washed and dried on a towel, he ignored the chill in the place and opened the window a little, scrubbing the bath clean and getting rid of the steam. When he was satisfied the place looked spotless, he closed the window again, wrapped a towel around his chilled body and made for his bedroom. “I’m done!” he called as he passed by the lounge.

 

Muji was gone when he got there, and he thanked his lucky stars that unmanifested shisa didn’t shed cat dander as he refluffed his pillow. The goose however; the goose had magically sported a new coat of varnish that brought out the grain of the wood beautifully, which he counted as his blessing. His mouth curled into a smile and he shook his head, going to the curtain rails instead.

 

Given who they would be visiting, traditional hanbok was very much called for. The gumiho that ruled the area that Seoul fell under was an ancient and powerful being. Whilst modernity was a fashion she did not neglect – and Jin had shown him pictures of her in modern clothes – her court was still in love with older fashions, given how many of them were actually alive and thriving in the Joseon era. That meant traditional hanbok, white traditional hanbok for him, made of silk, not purchased but made, which had constricted his throat when he received the clothes bag from Jin. That night he had cried himself to sleep from sheer happiness; today he looked forward to making the baksu proud.

 

First, however, since it was heading into one of the coldest autumns he had felt, even living on a mountain, he slipped on a pair of white thermal underwear on first, then the beoseon socks and jeogori pants, cinching them tightly around his waist. The baji jacket went on over that, and he thanked his lucky stars that the cut wasn’t that different from what he had experienced before. This was easy, contrasted to the thing with buckles and straps that Jin assured him was a shirt. It was blindingly bright though, with white-on-white embroidery that only showed when he shifted.

 

“Jin-hyung?” he asked as he wandered out thirty minutes later, short hair combed as neatly as he could manage before putting the hat on. “What do you… oh.”

 

He had seen attractive men before, and he wasn’t that difficult to look at either, but Jin took the concept of masculine beauty to ridiculous lengths. Broad shoulders, even though the vest of the hanbok concealed a tapered waist, but his face was scrubbed and glowed with health, and the lilac and lavender colours of his clothes heightened that glow, until Jimin felt he was in the presence of one of the old Flower Princes. “Wow,” he got out. “Wow, Jin-hyung, you look really good. That gumiho is going to steal you for a husband.”

 

Jin favoured him with his strange, cackling laugh. “She’s too busy trying to duck other suitors, Jimin-ah. Come here, let me see what we can do with your hair. You have your gift ready, right?”

 

Jimin shyly presented the goose carving from one full sleeve where he had stashed it as he ambled closer, ducking his head a little to let Jin fix his hair. Another pang of warmth flooded his chest at the feeling of Jin’s fingers in his hair.

 

Is this what it feels like to have a brother?

 

“I…I hope it’s not too plain,” he got out. “I really don’t know your gift customs over here, but back home it would be a suitable gift.”

 

Jin stepped back, lifted his chin to look at his handiwork, and smiled at him. “Geese are good luck here as well, and it’s really lovely, Jimin-ah. Double points for it being handmade. Come on. We still have a bit of a hike before we get there.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The forest that formed part of the Seoul Forest Park that was hidden from view by mystical charms loomed all around them, breathing out the energy of nature, and Jimin felt muscles in his neck relax that he didn’t even know he had. Jin had set a leisurely pace, leaving him plenty of time to admire the way the trees looked in the chilly morning, the furthest ones paling to brown-blue smudges against a stormy sky. It was the last of the autumn foliage, rendered in golds and reds and burnt oranges that looked as if he was walking in an emperor’s closet.

 

The trees changed the more they walked into the depths, and animals became more numerous. There were spirits here too, from long cranes swanning around to take in the sights, to little imps rolling around on the leafy cover on the ground. It was a picture of such vitality that he wasn’t paying attention, and so he almost tripped on nothing when his feet simply refused to go any further.

 

He blinked down at them, then up, glancing at Jin’s back as he strolled on. “Jin-hyung?” he called worriedly. “Um, I have a little bit of a problem here.”

 

Jin glanced back, looked off towards the sides and laughed softly. “What do you feel?” he asked curiously.

 

Jimin leant forward, tried to move his feet again, and finally took a deep breath, trying to calm himself as the monks had taught. With his attention on the matter it was easier to find out what was bothering him – in front of him the world grew vague, as if there was more than one reality overlaid on the normal. Further on, just a slight bit, there was a grey arch set into the ground before the woods closed off the path they were on. The arch had running foxes with lanterns in their mouths carved onto it. “It feels crinkled,” he managed to explain, and puffed out his cheeks when Jin laughed at him. “I’m serious! It feels like the world isn’t stable here, like there’s more world than there should be.”

 

Wandering back, Jin reached out his hand. “This is one of four gates to the Court of Lights,” he explained. “The southern gate, to be precise. You’re feeling the power splashback from it – the spell that makes it function is ancient and powerful. Come on, I’ll help you the first time.”

 

With Jin’s one hand around his, Jimin pushed through the odd feeling and through the gate, and when he emerged he knew immediately they had stepped into a wellspring of power. The feeling that tasted like life in the air in Seoul was thick here, as humid as a Busan summer, making him breathe in appreciatively. Power radiated up from the granite of the mountains, and the forests he could see had leaves of gold, amber and bronze mixed in with the more mundane reds, yellows and oranges.

 

His senses wanted to shut down, overwhelmed as they are, but as Jin turned him to face their destination he gasped and understood what being overwhelmed really meant. The palace spread over most of a mountain valley and shimmered with curtains of power, intricate wards and blessings and wellsprings of powerful spirits that moved in it. He felt dazed, practically beatific, and had to struggle to stand upright. Through it all, like a jewel capping a mountain, there was an ancient presence of flame and ink, controlled and powerful and feminine.

 

Jimin swallowed once, then once again, before his senses thankfully dulled until he could see in front of him. Jin was staring at him, worried.

 

“I’m… I’m fine,” he rushed to assure him. “It’s just so bright, Jin-hyung, it’s like staring into the sun.”

 

“We have to go closer,” Jin murmured. “Are you sure you can manage?”

 

Jimin wasn’t sure, not sure at all, but he nodded hesitantly and pulled himself upright.

 

“Alright,” Jin sighed, and started walking again.

 

Jimin stared up at the extravagant mansion and trudged on. As he looked down to navigate around a scattering of decorative pebbles on the edge of the winding path, a fox’s shadow fell over his path. Startled, he blinked at it, counting only two tails before it disappeared. When he looked up, he couldn’t spot the owner anywhere.


  1. The court is based in Bukhansan National Park. Although the government thinks that they own it and it’s just a national park, it is also the location of the Court of Lights, which is the local section of supernatural rule. It hosts countless spirits, demi-gods and mythological creatures behind its complex wards. Originally the den of a beautiful and powerful gumiho, she has opened sections of it to other supernatural influences that wish to be close to Seoul – as long as they agree to her rule.
  2. The actual structure is based on Changdeokgung Palace. It has some of the most amazing gardens, especially in autumn, and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. In this story, I have taken it from its currently location in Jongno-gu and transplanted it to the park. Historical architects, please forgive me!
  3. All the information about various aspects of the hanbok I got from Christina the Polyglot’s excellent site. I really do suggest you take a look if, like me, you are fascinated by historical and cultural dress.
  4. I imagine the goose carving to look something like this.
  5. The title refers to a pretty well-known classical piece of music by Mussorgsky, called Night on Bald Mountain.
  6. Jin in a hanbok is a blessing. Jimin too. So are all of them. Jimin in a female hanbok is adorable and scary.
  7. A gumiho is the Korean equivalent of a Japanese kitsune, which is a nine-tailed fox.
  8. Time: November somewhere