brilliance in action

Demons Strictly Cash
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ready to have some fun? ps y'all can thank kara for making me rewrite this from the utter crap I had before and for betaing on the fly

“Where’s her school?” Eunhyuk asked as he grabbed a stack of napkins and set them down on the bar, fanning them out in the rough shape of a piece of paper.

 

Donghae took in another deep breath, holding up a finger to indicate he needed a moment. “France, about forty minutes southwest of Paris. It’s in the….” He trailed off as panic made his memory blank. He jerked when he felt warm, soft hands cup his jaw, but the panic faded back again when he looked into Eunhyuk’s red eyes.

 

“We’re getting our little girl back,” Eunhyuk said firmly, and even through the panic, Donghae’s heart fluttered at the way he said our little girl.

 

“I know we will,” he replied quietly, his hands coming up to hold Eunhyuk’s. “It’s in the Regional Natural Park of Morvan, but I can’t remember where exactly. Somewhere on the northwest side, towards Avilon, I think.”

 

“Here, hold my clothes,” Hani suddenly said as she shimmered into being behind the bar, as the day she was born.

 

Donghae dumbly took the bundle of clothing as Hani dumped a bucket of ice water over her head and then promptly shimmered out of existence. “That’s… new.”

 

“High speed teleportation to multiple locations creates a lot of friction, she and her clothes would basically be on fire,” Taemin said as he walked up to the bar, pulling his hair up into two small buns that resembled horns. His baseball bat, covered in blackened smoke, barbed wire, and various jagged pieces of glass and metal, was already by his side.

 

“Where’s your boyfriend?” Eunhyuk asked, not looking up from drawing a complicated looking sigil on the napkins.

 

“On his way, he had to settle a few seedlings in before the sun started to set.”

 

Hani shimmered back into being, her hair dry and crackling, her face flushed as she breathed heavily. Donghae automatically poured her a glass of ice water, which she downed in one gulp. Everyone pointedly kept their eyes on her face as she grabbed the pen out of Eunhyuk’s hand and drew a quick map on a napkin. “That’s what I remember. Looks like there’s fifteen armed norms, Siyeon is in a room with six other girls, but some of the armed norms were there, so I couldn’t really come all the way in. I’m pretty sure that Siyeon saw me start to come in and not think it was sunlight.”

 

Eunhyuk nodded. “That’s fine, thanks for the help.”

 

Hani and her clothes started to shimmer back out. “No problem, I wish I could do more. Good luck.”

 

Donghae already has his phone out, searching maps for the location Hani drew. “Dammit will you hurry up,” he muttered as the map slowly downloaded. Throwing his phone down on the bar in frustration when it still wasn’t loading fast enough, he stormed into the back room with the intent of getting his computer to see if it would go faster so he could get to Siyeon sooner but halfway through, the rage took over. He threw anything he could get his hands on that wasn’t nailed down; he shattered glass bottles and threw a metal folding chair against the wall so hard that it bent badly and would never be useable again. When he finally slid to the floor like a puppet with its strings severed, completely tapped out, his wet cheeks and sore throat made him realize that he’d been sobbing the entire time.

 

He’d sworn over and over and over again that he’d protect Siyeon from anything that tried to hurt her ever again, with his life if need be, but he wasn’t there and she was scared and hurt and it was killing him. He couldn’t imagine life without his little nightmare anymore, which in other circumstances would have been hilarious because he hadn’t thought about kids – it had been hard enough finding a man he’d actually want to be with for long enough to even have that discussion – until Siyeon was literally blasted into his life.

 

No one had ever been able to work out what actually happened, and Donghae’s memory of the day was pretty much a blank – the non-recollection of that day still unnerved him, but he’d been assured that his mind was just suppressing the trauma of the explosion. Since he and Siyeon were the only two out of forty-five that survived the blast, no one else could help them piece things together. He still wasn’t sure how he even survived, or how he managed to save himself and Siyeon but she was in danger now and he still wasn’t there with her…

 

“Tea,” a soft voice said, startling Donghae so badly that he bumped into a stack of boxes, knocking the top one down and shattering the glass bottles inside it.

 

Blinking, Donghae focused on Jongin, holding a cup of tea out to him with a soft, caring smile.

 

“Tea?” Donghae repeated blankly, almost uncomprehending.

 

Jongin shrugged bashfully, the soft leaves in his hair that connected him with his tree at all times were moving in an unfelt breeze. “And maybe a few other things, but tea.”

 

Donghae shook his head. “I can’t sleep, I have to get to Siyeon…”

 

“This will most definitely keep you awake. For… probably a while and probably with a lot of excess energy. Right now, it’s to help clear your mind from the anxious branches sprouting from deep within. Eunhyuk is almost complete with the sigil that will take you to your seedling, and she probably has vegetative thoughts and anxious branches that can only be cleared away by soaking in your sunlight.”

 

Sometimes Jongin’s plant metaphors went right over Donghae’s head, but he could guess what he meant. Donghae took the cup from Jongin and after an experimental sip to judge the temperature, he drained it in nearly one shot. He was pretty sure that some soju had been splashed in for good measure, but mostly it was citrus tasting concoction, and a few tiny specks clung to the bottom and sides of the cup when he was done.

 

Jongin’s mixed teas always packed a punch, but the fizziness wasn’t something he expected. “Champagne or carbonated water?” he asked after a moment of trying to think of what he had open behind the bar.

 

“I found the champagne first,” Jongin said as he shrugged.

 

“Hm, I thought you used soju.”

 

“That too. Right now, speed and efficiency are what is needed.”

 

Donghae blew out his brea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter