Prologue

Voice on the Radio

“Don’t you think our soulmate is sending a signal to us now?”

 

Jongin is sitting on the rooftop of his highschool, talking about the future with a boy with rounded eyes and thick-rimmed glasses. 

 

“When the time comes, when my chest glows, my soulmate will come to me. But I’m not waiting.” The boy put on a stoic, yet determined look on his face. “He - or she - will have to wait until I achieve my own dreams. I’m not gonna drop everything for a single person. Plus, we’re too young to figure out who our soulmate is anyways, don’t you listen in our lifestyle class?” 

 

Jongin remembers that lifestyle class like it was yesterday. Knowing that everyone has a soulmate, eagerly waiting for their chests to glow brightly for everyone to see. 

 

As he looked at the round-eyed boy’s face, he couldn’t help but think that maybe if he were this person’s soulmate. He would wait for this person as long as it takes, and welcome him back with open arms.

 

Jongin smirked at the boy, feeling proud to show off his knowledge. “I do listen! Remember, the brighter the glow is, the stronger the signal and passion the soulmates have for each other! Can you imagine your signal being so strong that the whole world will see? Usually only the person and their soulmate will see the signal.” 

 

The boy looked at Jongin in shock, glasses sliding down his nose to only cover half of his eyes.

 

But the boy’s expression of shock turned into sadness. “If you only listened this much in Science class, maybe you’d actually become a doctor like you wanted to. But you’re going to become an idol one day, so I guess you won’t have to worry about that anymore.”  Jongin couldn't handle seeing that look on the boy's face. He might be going away soon to be an idol, but his true dream will never waver.

 

“You’ll see, Soo! I might debut soon, but you know that I’ll never forget. One day, I’m gonna be a doctor - and you’ll be shocked to see that we’ll be working together in the hospital. You won’t get rid of me that easily, so just wait for me!”  Jongin’s smile was so bright that his eyes turned into crescents - but that didn’t change the sad expression that “Soo” had on his face.

 

“I can only hope that day will come, Jongin.”

 

.

.

.

 

Gasping for air, Jongin wakes up from his dream.  

 

So "Soo" was his name. He’d been having the same dream for months, but now he finally has a name. 

 

But why does it feel like such a close memory?