Working Muse

Working Muse

 

When Jinki returns home from his art tour of Europe, he’s immediately hit with art block. No matter what he tries to paint, what he tries to sketch, all he gets is empty pages. While abroad, he’d had no trouble filling up sketchbook after sketchbook, needing a full new trunk for them by the time he headed home. Something about the mundaneness of home just all the creativity out of him and he found himself praying for a muse.

***

When Jinki comes down for breakfast, Junghee -- the family cook -- is already bringing in the meal. He sits down and tries to figure out what’s different about the room. It hits him after a few minutes that it’s an additional presence. There’s a young woman, probably around Jinki’s age, standing in the back corner nervously.

“Sirs and Ma’am, this is my daughter, Minjung.” Junghee announces. “She’s old enough to work now, today is her first day, but she hasn’t been assigned anywhere yet by Junmyeon. If there’s anything you need done, beyond the ordinary, she’ll be down in the kitchens with me for now but at your full disposal.”

She waves and Minjung comes forward into the light. She’s pretty, very pretty, even in the plain black servant dress she wears; she seems oddly tall, though it could just be because of how short Junghee is. She curtseys and does her best to hand things to her mother to help with serving breakfast. Jinki watches her work and she seems to notice, avoiding his gaze. Once dinner is served, Minjung and Junghee leave.

“Junmyeon was telling me about her. Not particularly talented in any particular thing, but good enough to manage any task.” Jinki’s mother says.

“If I wanted her to be my assistant, when I’m painting, would that be alright?” Jinki asks, trying his best to sound nonchalant.

“I don’t see why not.” his father says.

His mother makes an odd expression but says nothing. They eat in relative silence, his father reading the paper while Jinki and his mother each read a book. They were nearly done with Junmyeon knocks on the door.

“Sir, Mister Jungsoo called and requests you come in early. Should I prepare your car?”

“Yes. I’ll be ready in 10 minutes.”

Jinki’s father gets up and leaves the room, and it’s just Jinki and his mother now. She finishes eating and stands.

“Are you painting today?”

“Yes, Ma.”

“I feel a headache coming, so paint as long as you like. I will probably take dinner in my rooms.”

“Yes, Ma. I hope you feel better.”

She departs and now it’s just Jinki. Junghee and Minjung reenter the room.

“Have they left you alone again, Jinki?”  Junghee asks.

“They always do. It doesn’t matter though.”

The two women start clearing the table. Jinki reaches for a roll off a plate that Minjung’s picking up and she apologizes. She exits the room momentarily and Jinki turns to Junghee.

“Junghee, if I have a task for Minjung, would that be alright to take her with me?”

“Oh, yes, sir. Just send her back to me whenever you’re done or if she’s not up to your tasks. Ma’am says you’re painting today, should I send her to go take water to your studio?”

“Yes, that’ll be good.”

When Minjung comes back in, Junghee starts giving her directions. She departs quickly and Junghee smiles at the closing door.

“She’s a hard worker, sir. Quiet and good at following directions.”

“I trust she will be, if she’s any bit as nice as you.” Jinki says with a smile.

*

Jinki manages to make it to his studio -- a refurbished old barn in the back piece of the property -- before Minjung does. He sets a chair out, changes into more

comfortable clothes, and starts pulling supplies out. She knocks on the door before coming in.

“Where would you like the bucket, sir?” she asks.

Her voice is lower than he expected it to be, something akin to one of the alto singers he’d been friends with on his trip. He smiles and points to a spot near him.

“Here will be fine. It’s Minjung, correct?”

“Yes, sir.”

She sets the bucket down and moves to stand back towards the wall.

“You don’t have to hide away, Minjung. I know my parents are stuffy with that kind of thing and Junmyeon is a stickler for rules, but as long as you’re in here, you’re allowed to exist as a person.”

“Y-yes, sir.”

She stays where she is, hands folded and head down. Jinki continues arranging paints and tries to think of a way to get her to speak freely.

“Do you like art, Minjung?”

“I haven’t seen much, sir, only what’s in the house. But I like what I saw in there.”

Jinki moves over to his bookshelf, grabs one of his reproduction books off of it.

“Here, this has some of the pieces I saw when I was abroad.”

She takes the book out of his hands and he gestures for her to sit on the couch. She sits, but doesn’t open it.

“You can look through it, you have my permission. You won’t get in trouble. Is it okay if I sketch while you look through?”

“Sketch?”

“Yes. I like to sketch things out before I properly paint them.”

“What are you going to paint?”

“I was hoping to paint a picture of you.”

“Me, sir?”

“Yes, if it’s alright.”

“Oh, it’s fine with me, sir. Wouldn’t you like to paint something else though? Something pretty?”

“You’re a pretty girl, Minjung. I haven’t wanted to paint in days, until I saw your face at breakfast.”

She blushes deeply, trying to argue that she’s plain. Jinki makes a note to paint her blushing expression later on. He eventually gives up on getting her to accept his compliment, telling her to go ahead and look through the book. Halfway through his sketch, there’s a knock on the door. Before he can tell her to stay still, she’s shut the book and answered the door. It’s her mother, bringing in lunch. She tells Minjung to go back to the kitchen, to retrieve something she’s forgotten. When she’s gone, Junghee turns to Jinki, setting up her little lunch cart for him as a table of sorts.

“Is she doing well, sir?”

“Oh yes. She’s a real lamb.”

“I’m glad, sir. She was so nervous this morning, though I think that was more of Junmyeon’s doing I think. He’s always been a bit harsh on her, even when she was little.”

“How old is she?”

“She just turned 18 just before you got back, sir. I know you’re too little to remember, but I had her right after I started working here. Your mother was very kind to me, during that time. Anything that they weren’t using for you any longer, blankets and toys and such, she let me take home for her. Oh, but listen to me babble. I’m sure you’ve got work to do, sir. She’ll be back along in a moment.”

Jinki nods and she leaves. He puts his sketchbook aside and starts eating. Minjung comes back with a plate of cake and a small purse of her own. She places the cake down in front of Jinki and stays standing, unsure of what to do.

“Do you have lunch, Minjung?”

She nods, holding up her purse.

“There should be another chair in the corner, you can bring it over and eat with me if you like.”

“Oh, sir, I’ll be fine.”

“Please, I insist.”

She nods and gets the chair. Though there’s plenty of room on the cart, she keeps her lunch on her lap. Her apple and meat filled roll aren’t much, especially in front of Jinki’s two plates of food, and he feels bad as he watches her stare at his food. He continues eating, but leaves a few bites of cake when he finally puts his fork down.

“Do you like cake, Minjung?”

“I’ve only had it a few times, sir.”

“Did you like it when you had it?”

“Y-yes, sir.”

“You can have these last few bites if you want them, I know you must still be hungry.”

He holds the fork out to her; she takes it, but hesitates.

“You have my permission, enjoy it.”

She starts eating, taking as small of bites as she can. He tries not to laugh at her blissful expression, but a smile does escape. She pulls a handkerchief out of her pocket to clean her face.

“Were you done looking at the book, Minjung?”

“No, sir.”

“Good, I’m not done with my sketch either.”

She puts her chair away then moves back to the couch. Jinki watches her, making sure she’s sitting the same way. He finishes quickly before she’s done looking over it so he starts making notes in the margins about what colors to use. She closes the book and looks up at him.

“Are you done?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Would you feel more comfortable going back to help your mother? It won’t upset me if you are.”

“I...I think so, sir.”

“I’ve finished my sketch, so I’m going to paint now. Come close and let me have a good look at you and then you can go.”

She nods, leaving the book on the couch. Though she walks over to him, she keeps a distance. He reaches out for her hand, noticing how she tenses up.

“I’m not going to hurt you, I swear. I just want to make sure I get the color for your skin right. I saw far too many sunkissed women painted as if they were made of marble or alabaster when I was abroad.”

Minjung shyly holds her arm out for him to inspect. She refuses to look at him and Jinki finds her shyness charming.

“Alright, you can go now. You can save yourself a trip and take the lunch cart with you if you like.”

“Yes, sir. Thank you, sir.”

***

Over the next week, their interactions are almost identical. Every morning, after breakfast is finished, Minjung accompanies Jinki to his studio. He gives her some still task -- reading, needlework, copying -- and sketches her as she works on it. They eat lunch together and he gives her the last bite of his cake. It becomes a sign of trust and respect, in a way; Jinki hopes it will make himself more amiable to her. When he’s finished with the sketch, he allows her to go to her mother while he paints. When he compares them to her the next day, though, they’re never quite right.

***

“You’re going to be helping me a little more today,” Jinki says, pulling out two chairs. “I want to do some practice painting portraits. All you have to do is stay somewhat still, alright? We can talk during, and when your mother comes in you can behave as you normally do, but just try to hold the position otherwise, ok?”

She nods and waits for him to tell her to sit. He gives her instructions and she follows as best she can. When he’s finally got her posed, he gets started.

“So what’s your favorite painting, in the house?”

“I still haven’t seen all the rooms in the house, sir.”

“Out of the ones you’ve seen, which did you like most?”

He watches her tilt her head then move it back to how it was. A smile plays at his lips but he manages not to laugh.

“I like the one in the parlor. Of the garden.”

“I painted that one while I was abroad. It’s of the Boboli Gardens in Florence, Italy.”

“Really? It’s so lovely, sir. I wish I could travel someday; this is the farthest I’ve ever been away from home.”

“Did you go to school?”

“Yes, sir. That’s why I work here. Your parents paid my ma enough that we could afford for me to go to school, so now I’m here working to pay off that debt.”

It makes sense to Jinki; his parents helped to pay for most of the servants children to be educated. They made for more useful staff. They take a break right as Junghee brings lunch. Though Jinki’s been sharing his cake with her for almost two weeks now, Minjung still hesitates to eat it when he offers it. When it gets to be her normal time to leave, Jinki still isn’t finished.

“I know I normally let you leave at this time, but I’m not quite done yet. Are you okay to stay?”

“Yes, sir.”

“You can sit comfortably, I’m just finishing your face.”

She hums but doesn’t move. It doesn’t take him much longer to finish, but he finds himself stalling to keep her there. Eventually, he starts feeling guilty and announces that he’s done. It’s a good likeness, though still not as good as he would like. Minjung stands and goes to head for the door, but turns around.

“Could I....can I look at it, sir? The painting?”

“Of course. You did very well, today; I’ve never had a model so patient with me.”

Minjung blushes and walks around to see.

“What do you think, did I do a good job?”

“Yes, sir, though I think you made it a little too pretty.”

Jinki chuckles. “And here I thought I wasn’t making it pretty enough.”

Minjung blushes again and grabs the lunch cart.

“Have a good evening, sir.”

***

Jinki paints simple portraits for a month. No matter what he does, no matter what technique he uses, he can’t get her eyes right. So after two weeks, he simply stops his portraits at the bridge of her nose. On a trip into town, he discovers a costume renting shop. It’s meant for theaters, but the shopkeeper is more than willing to let Jinki rent single pieces.

*

“Minjung, if I brought costumes for you to wear, for me to paint you in, would you wear them for me?”

“Y-yes, sir.”

“You don’t have to wear anything that makes you uncomfortable. I won’t fire you or punish you at all.”

“Yes, sir.”

*

The first costume he brings for her is a simple milkmaid’s costume from a recent play. Over the next year, he paints her in every costume he can get his hands on: queens, ballerinas, historical figures, mythological women. No matter what he paints her as, he hides or leaves out completely her eyes and forehead. They get in a rhythm with it. She comes in the first day or two, so he can paint her. Then, she does whatever work her mother or Junmyeon can find for her the days that follow, until Jinki finishes the painting and finds another costume. Instead of leaving her bites of cake, he starts to bring her little treats from the confectionary next to the costume shop: little chocolates and petit fours. On days when all they can find for her is mending, Jinki will invite her to come sit with him. Normally, he doesn’t like people coming in to watch him paint. Something about her presence is calming, though, and he spends the time telling her whatever he knows about the story associated with the costume. After spending so much time together, they begin to develop a close friendship; though neither will admit to it, fondness also blossoms between them. Minjung starts to smile more freely, to talk more freely, though she still refuses to call Jinki by his name. For her birthday, he gives her a miniature copy of the garden painting that she likes and a full box of chocolates; she nearly cries. When Jinki’s birthday comes, she gifts him a delicately embroidered handkerchief.

***

A year and three months after he started having Minjung model for him, he runs out of costumes and ideas. Minjung comes to the studio, but he has no canvas out, no pencils sharpened, no paints to mix.

“Is everything alright, sir?”

Jinki looks up at her from where he’s laying on the couch. He hasn’t even bothered to change into his painting clothes.

“Yes, I’m fine. I’ve just got a block is all. I can’t find any new costumes to use and none of the old ones suit my fancy to reuse.”

“Oh.”

“I got you a treat. It felt weird to go past the shop and not get you anything.”

Minjung smiles shyly. “You don’t have to get me anything, sir. You’re wasting your money spoiling me like this.”

“You always look so happy eating them though, and seeing you happy makes me happy. So it’s not a waste at all to spend a few cents on our happinesses.”

Minjung sits down next to him and takes the treatbox. She takes her time eating the pecan cluster inside and he’s content just to watch.

“So you’re not going to paint today, sir?”

“No, Minjung. You can go. I know your mother needs help with the party later. I’ll be fine on my own.”

She curtseys before she leaves, thanking him again for the treat. Truth be told, Jinki does have an idea of what to paint, but no idea how to ask her to agree to it.

*

For a week, Minjung comes in every morning and Jinki sends her back to the house. He feels bad, especially when he sees the disappointed look on her face, but he can’t bring himself to ask her. On the eighth day, he can’t stand it anymore. When Minjung comes to the door, he tells her to come inside.

“Did you finally think of something to paint, sir?”

Jinki feels himself blush. “Y-yes. I thought of something.”

“What is it?”

“Before I tell you, I want you to know that you have every right to say no to this. I won’t fire you, I won’t hold it against you, I won’t mention it to anyone that I ever asked.”

He sees fear creep up in Minjung’s eyes but she nods so he continues. He gets one of his sketchbooks out, flips through the pages. Eventually he finds the picture he wants -- someone’s rendition of The Birth of Venus -- and he hands it to her. Minjung’s expression remains mostly blank, and Jinki wonders if she understands.

“I’ve wanted to make a copy, more of a version of my own, since I saw the original. I’ve run out of everything else to paint, this is the only idea left in the bin right now.”

Realization starts creeping over Minjung’s face.

“Like I said, if you don’t want to, it’s fine. I have this and I’ve seen enough art that I could make a copy easy.”

“But you don’t want to make a plain copy, sir.”

“Not if I can help it.”

“So you’re wanting...”

“I want you to pose for me.”

“?”

“Only if you don’t mind. If you don’t want to, it’s more than fine-”

“I’ll do it.”

Jinki looks at her in shock. This was definitely not what he was expecting of her. She smiles then looks at the door. The atmosphere becomes tense with nervous anticipation.

“What if someone walks in?”

“There’s a lock on the door. We can use that room that you’ve been using to change into costumes. It’s big enough for what I need.”

“Are you...are we doing this today?”

“Whenever you’re ok with doing it.”

“Today is fine. I’ll go....I’ll start getting ready.”

Minjung walks into the back room and Jinki goes to lock the door. He wanders around getting supplies, trying to give her as much time to back out as he can. By the time he finally goes to the backroom, she’s taken off her dress, shoes, and underdress and is in the process of untying her corset. Jinki arranges his things and when he looks back up, she’s standing in just her chemise. Their eyes meet for a moment, before both shyly look away and Minjung pulls her chemise over her head.

“How...how do you want me?”

“Oh, uh, sitting. I brought a sheet for you to sit on, and to cover up with during lunch.”

He puts the sheet down and she sits. Though she initially won’t look at him, she finds the courage to after she’s posed. It takes him almost four times as long to draw; more than once, she has to inform him with a smile that he’s repeated himself more than twice. They’re both mostly quiet, Jinki making sure he has every line, every curve, every bit of shading true to life. By the end of the day, all he’s got is a half completed sketch. She dresses herself more quickly than expected and curtseys.

“Shall I...expect to come back tomorrow, sir?”

“If you’re up for it.”

*

It takes Jinki two days to finish the sketch and another three to paint it. He starts another, and it takes a full week. Never in his life has he ever painted this slow; not even in Rome, when he and two friends had gotten 9 girls to pose for them to recreate a painting of the Graces. Over the previous year, he’d averaged almost 10 paintings a month. This month, he only completes 3. It’s comfortable, by the last one. Minjung has burned her hand, and so Jinki offers to help her retie her corset. For the first time, she gives him instructions. When it’s done, she turns around to face him.

“Thank you, sir.”

Jinki tries to say ‘you’re welcome’ but the words won’t come out right. She smiles gently at him and he feels a surge of confidence.

“Minjung...”

“Yes, sir?”

“If I...could I...would you mind it if I kissed you?”

“You can, sir, if it pleases you.”

“No, I want to know if....you have to say that...what I mean is...”

“Jinki,” she says, cutting him off. “It’s ok. Kiss me.”

They’re both surprised; she’s never used his name before. He reaches out to hold her face and he has to lean up to account for his shorter height. They kiss once, and Jinki pulls away.

“I’m leaving for a short trip tomorrow. I’ll be gone for two weeks. There’s going to be an art competition, can I submit some of the pieces I’ve painted of you?”

Minjung nods, eyes teary.

“It’s late, you should finish dressing before your mother comes looking for you.”

***

Two weeks pass in the blink of an eye. Jinki won the competition, pieces taking home all three top prizes. No less than seven newspapers have written about him and he can’t wait to show Minjung all his success.

Breakfast is quiet. Each of them is absorbed in their own quiet pursuits. When Junghee brings breakfasts in, it’s her alone. She gives Jinki food, but seems almost cold towards him. When breakfast is done, he heads to his studio. Minjung isn’t there either. Though he spends the whole day waiting, she never comes by. He’s worried something’s wrong, but Junghee’s already left and won’t speak to him anyway. The next day is a repeat, as well as the day after. His fourth day home, Jinki goes down to the kitchens to speak to Junghee. She’s making bread.

“Hello, Junghee.”

She brings her fists down onto the bread dough before looking up.

“Hello, Jinki.”

For the first time in his life, Junghee is terse with him.

“Is Minjung well?”

“Yes, she’s fine.”

“I have something I want to give her.”

Junghee looks angry.“When did you start painting her?”

“I had her sit for practice portraits for me, that was almost a year and a half ago.”

“No, I mean when did you start painting her? .”

“Oh. I...maybe a month? I promise I didn’t make her though. I told her that she could say no without repercussion and I asked each time.”

“Your mother found one of those paintings while you were away. She gave Minjung a real harsh time. I want to believe that you’re kind to my daughter, Jinki, especially with the way she gushes about you on the way home. But some things are a little hard to swallow.”

“I have prize money, from an art competition that I entered. I wanted to give her the money, I know she needs new shoes.”

“I don’t know where Ma’am told her to go. She’s been giving her separate instructions each morning since she found it.”

“Thanks, Junghee. I’m sorry if I hurt you.”

“Don’t be sorry to me. Be sorry to Minjung. She’s the one hurt in all this.”

Jinki’s heart sinks. The last thing he wanted was to have to confront his mother. He makes his way back upstairs and heads to her room. She’s laying on her couch when he comes in.

“Hello, ma.”

“Jinki, can you come back later? My head hurts something terrible.”

“Where did you assign Minjung today?”

At the name, Jinki’s mother sits up.

“I don’t want you seeing her anymore.”

“Why?”

“How are we supposed to marry you to a reputable girl if you’re sitting around painting nudes of servants? What will others think of you? I don’t want my son to be the town ert!”

Jinki reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out all the newspaper clippings he’d saved.

“Actually, people rather liked my art.” he says, showing them to her.

She grabs them, throws them on the floor. He reaches down to pick them up and she lays back down.

“Fine. I won’t stop you from ruining your life, since that seems to be what you’re so intent on doing.”

“Ma, where did you assign Minjung to?”

His mother doesn’t answer. Annoyed with her behavior, he leaves the room, heading to his father’s office. He walks in just as his father gets off the phone.

“Jinki, my boy! What brings you into see me today?”

“When I was younger, you told me that I could marry any woman I wished. Do you still stand by that?”

Jinki’s father looks amused. “Yes. I assume you’re in here to get my blessing for a proposal?”

“Yes, Pa.”

“To whom?”

“Minjung.”

“Minjung? Who’s that?”

“Junghee’s daughter. The one that’s been helping me paint.”

“You want to marry a servant?”
“Yes, Pa.”

“It’s not because of any....trouble is it?”

“No, Pa, nothing like that. I’ve simply become fond of her in the time that she’s worked by my side.”

“Well, if that’s what will make you happy, you have my blessing. You’ve come in at a good time. I’ve just bought you a house. It’s smaller than here and is a bit further from town, but it’s yours if she agrees.”

“Thank you, Pa.”

Jinki leaves and heads down towards the kitchen. Junghee’s just put her bread in the oven and is sitting on her stool, peeling potatoes.

“Junghee, might I ask something of you?”

She looks up, less cross than before. “Yes, sir?”

“I know your husband passed a few years ago, otherwise I would ask him. If she consents, would you allow me Minjung’s hand?”

Junghee drops her knife and potato.

“You want to marry my Jungie?”

“Yes, Junghee. I’ve grown quite fond of her and I think she’d make a wonderful wife. My Pa has just bought me a house, too, so we wouldn’t have to stay here under my mother’s eye. You could come along too. Not as a servant, but as my mother in law. You’ve always been so kind to me, Junghee. I couldn’t stand the thought of my mother in law being a servant to my mother.”

“Oh, bless you, Jinki. Did your mother tell you where she’s at?”

“No, but I have a feeling I know who can tell me.”

*

It doesn’t take long for Jinki to find Junmyeon. The butler has a penchant for a few spots in the house, making him easy to find.

“Where has Ma sent Minjung?” Jinki asks.

“I’m not permitted to say.” Junmyeon says, without looking.

“Junmyeon, if you don’t tell me where she is, I’ll go upstairs and tell Pa about you and Ma. About those pretty letters I found in her desk. About the real reason she has those headaches everyday.”

Junmyeon’s face flushes with fear and embarrassment. “Now Jinki, let’s be reasonable. I’ve hidden a good number of things for you.”

“I don’t think I’m being unreasonable Junmyeon. I’ll ask you again. Where is Minjung working.”

Junmyeon looks around, glance down the hallways for any potential listeners.

“You didn’t hear it from me, but she might be doing laundry at the moment.”

Jinki walks off in the direction of the laundry room. Though he can see Minjung from the doorway, he pauses in the hallway. He watches her work, waiting until she stops stirring the clothing to go in. They make eye contact and she quickly starts working again.

“Minjung, might I speak with you?”

“I’m...I’m not to speak to you, sir. Ma’am orders.” she says with a sniffle.

From her puffy face and little sniffles, it’s not hard to tell she’s been crying.

“What did she say to you while I was away? You can tell me, it’s alright.”

She starts pouring soap and borax into the tub, continuing to avoid his eyes.

“She found your paintings. She said that I was ruining you. Making you into a bad person. That I can’t see you anymore, because otherwise you won’t be able to find a wife.”

She struggles not to cry and Jinki reaches out for her hand.

“Damn what my mother says, Minjung. She has no room to have an opinion on anything concerning this. She’s having an affair, you know.”

Minjung finally looks up at him in disbelief.

“With Junmyeon. They’ve been having an affair behind my dad’s back since I was around four. It’s part of why he got hired; when he interviewed, my mom happened to see him. She put in a lot of good words for him. That’s why she has so many headaches.”

Minjung starts stirring the pot again, processing the information.

“I’m sorry, Minjung, that you got caught up in this. I never intended for you to be hurt. You’ve done nothing wrong, my mother’s temper clouds her judgement. I’m so sorry, my pretty girl.”

“What...what did you want to speak to me about, sir?”

He reaches into his pockets and pulls out the articles.

“Remember how I asked if I could enter some pieces of you into an art show? Well I did. I submitted five pieces; I took home all three top prizes. I had to extend my trip an extra day because all these press people wanted to interview me over it.”

“That’s wonderful, sir!”

He reads the articles to her as she works; they’re all glowing reviews of the ‘new artist Lee Jinki and his wonderful model’. She’s beaming by the time he’s done. When she turns away, he takes the opportunity to get down on one knee and reaches into his other pocket. She’s shocked when she turns around, almost dropping the sponge in her hand. He helps her put it down before continuing.

“Minjung, I know this is probably incredibly forward of me, but I...over this time we’ve spent together, I’ve grown fond of you, of your presence near me. It’s been distressing to me, to have been away from you for so long. You’ve become a muse to me, if it’s not you, I can’t paint at all. Even when I was at the show, I tried to sketch little copies, to bring back to show you, and I couldn’t do it. I know I’ve asked you many favors, and you’ve always been so kind and willing, and I can’t thank you enough. Can I ask one more of you?”

She nods, tears welling up again. He opens the little box, revealing the ring he’d bought on his way home.

“Minjung, would you give me the greatest happiness by becoming my wife?”

Tears spill over, and though she gives an answer, Jinki can’t understand it.

Jinki stands, putting a hand to her cheek.

“Oh, sir. Yes, it would make me so happy, sir.”

After putting the ring on her finger, he pulls her into his arms so she can cry.

“There’s only one thing, if we marry, Minjung.”

“Yes?”

“You have to stop calling me sir. You’ve called me Jinki once before, now you get to use only that. I’m no longer your boss; I’m your fiance, your equal. Can you do that? I know it’ll take time to get used to, but you’ll try, right?”

“Yes,  s-,” she starts, then corrects herself. “Yes, Jinki.”

“May I kiss my bride to be?”

She nods with a smile, laundry long forgotten behind them.

*

Once the normal laundress is brought in to finish the job, Jinki takes Minjung into town. It’s her first time riding in a car and he holds her hand the whole way. After an obligatory stop by the confectionary, the make their way to the dress shop. He buys her a small wardrobes worth of clothes and two special gowns are ordered: a ball gown, for their inevitable engagement ball, and a wedding dress. They return back to the house and Junghee cries at the sight of Minjung in her new clothes. The next day, when the paper shows the engagement announcement, all three of them cry.

***

They marry in Italy, taking Junghee along with them for it. They visit the Boboli gardens, and Jinki’s charmed by his new wife’s excitement when they find the plot that he’d painted before. He paints it again, though this time he adds her and Junghee having a picnic to the scene. For the first time, he draws her whole face. Junghee leaves after a week, so they can have their honeymoon and so she can see that their new house is decorated properly. As they tour around Italy, Jinki begins to teach Minjung how to paint. She picks it up rather quickly, and it becomes a little game of theirs to see who can better copy different paintings and sights they come across.

Minjung bears their first child on their first anniversary, a daughter they name Gwiboon. Two years later, they have a son they name Taemin. Just as Jinki primarily paints Minjung, she herself primarily paints their children. She gains some notoriety for it, and even wins a few contests herself. When Jinki’s father grows ill, he takes over the business. After a few short lessons, Minjung takes over the finance and accounting side. They make quite a pair and become somewhat of a symbol of happy and successful marriage.

***

Twelve years after they marry, a man named Joon comes to interview Jinki. He’s writing a book on contemporary art, and wishes to include Jinki in it. They speak at length over a week’s time.

“Alright, I have just one more question for you, Mr. Jinki.”

“Yes?”

“In your first run of successful paintings, when you won all three prizes in one show, who was the mystery woman in all of those paintings?”

Jinki chuckles to himself. He looks past Joon, where Minjung’s standing in the doorway. All these years, he’s never divulged that it was her in the paintings -- offering a different vague answer each time -- and it’s clear to see that she’s curious to see what he says this time.

“She was a working girl.”

“Was she a factory worker?”

“No, she was a domestic worker. Worked in my father’s household. She became a sort of assistant of mine.”

“By assistant, do you mean muse, sir?”

“Yes, she was. We just referred to her as an assistant.”

“Who was she?”

“My working muse? Oh, the same woman who’s always been my muse, from the first time I saw her.”

“How would that be, sir?”

Jinki looks at Minjung and she nods her permission for him to tell the truth.

“My muse was, is, and always will be my wife.”