ANYA

Am I a Liar?

"THEY HATED EACH OTHER TO THE POINT THAT THEY FELL IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER"

ANYA.

It’s not easy to adapt to the new environment so easily and especially adjusting to the time zones. She was already feeling so tired and zoned out that it actually took lots of courage on her side to get up and get ready for college. College, college sounds so interesting but the fact that it’s your first day at college makes it a nightmare.  It’s not like she is bad at socialising, like she knows how to get people on your side by her charms but sometimes luck and your charms can betray you too. So she is feeling quite terrified at the fact that she has to make some new friends for her new college or else how is she going to survive whole three years all alone. Loneliness is a disease, she knows that so she needs someone to keep her company during the day and some exhaustion in her body to make her sleep peacefully during the nights. In her last school, she was struggling with insomnia  and depression so instead of giving in to her health , she started going out and made some friends randomly which cured her depression and insomnia to some extent, if not fully. But that was a part of history so she doesn’t dwell on her past too much because she still feel so hurt after everything she has been through.

She was living on her own in a new city, new room, new college.Everything felt so new to her that she felt like an outcast like she doesn’t belong here. And this feeling doesn’t change a bit when she entered the college. Her college was among the best colleges for music and literature so it was a luck that she got admission because she is a foreign student. Buildings were old, walls were painted in the brown shade which made the college look ancient in her perception. They were so many rooms around the hallways that made her so confused like where to go, so she thought of asking somebody for direction for staff room as she was told to visit staff room first before going to classes but it feels like todays luck is on the other side like there is not even a single living soul in sight to whom she can ask for directions. So instead of relying on somebody she just went to search the room by herself. As she was proceeding on her way through the hallway, she heard something. She doesn’t know what she heard but it sounded like music like maybe its piano or violin. She can’t say for sure which one is it but it she was sure it was coming from left direction. So she thought that maybe she can ask the person who was playing for directions because she is getting frustrated now. It is taking too long. How long is she going to wander like a homeless person.

So she followed the music. It took her around five minutes to search the exact room from where the music is coming from. The room was at the corner of the hallway so she pushed the door to open it. It was a large and a dark room so it took her a while to adjust her eyes, but when she adjusted herself, she saw a figure playing piano in a large room with only sunshine lightning the room. He had his back towards her so she couldn’t make out his features so she just let him play the piano. The way the melody was vibrating in the whole room, it was enchanting. She could feel the notes making way into her heart and calming her soul. She was standing there awestruck at the door. The person who was playing the piano and the single audience present both were lost in the music that they both didn’t notice each other for quite a long time. So when he was done with the song, he looked around to take a water bottle but when he turned back, he saw a girl standing on the doorway staring at him. He couldn’t make out her features so he couldn’t tell if he had seen her before or not. So, he asked her “How long has you been standing there?

She was startled when she heard a voice. She came out of her reverie and shook her head to shake the random thoughts that was she was having. She stammered ”huh..Huh…what?

He asked her again but his voice was stern this time “I’m asking how long has you been standing there?”

“Around five minutes”

 After hearing her answer he walked to her , that was when she noticed his features, he was quite tall like giant ,he was lean built and his face was quite childish as compared to his whole long body. But she still couldn’t see his face clearly so she still couldn’t make out his facial features yet.

When he was measureable distance away from her, he said in a stern and loud voice ”Don’t you have any manners if somebody is doing something personal then you shouldn’t interfere”

She was shocked from his tone like they are meeting for the first time so he should be polite but instead of that he is already scolding her. His behaviour angered her, she was already frustrated like what kind of college is this where no students or faculties can be seen and she needs to find the staff room as soon as possible, she was already quite late and he is making her whole day worse.

“You don’t own this place so don’t shout at me"

“In some ways, I do so shut up and get out” He shouted at her.

Anger started to build up in her but instead of making her day go more worse than it already is, she ignored him and turned to leave without giving any reply but as she was about to leave she turned back and went close to him, enough close that she could smell his perfume, he smelled something like apple and vanilla. That’s when she saw his facial features perfectly. He has round and soft eyes if you look closely at them, they make you feel soft, his lips were thin and turned into a grim line with a stern and irritated expression. But instead of dwelling onto his childish features.

 She looked straight in his eyes and said “You may own this place but you are nothing more than a jerk ” Her voice was calm but it was dripping with venom and he can feel that venom in her words. She didn’t even bothered to wait for him to reply and left without making any loud noises.  

He was taken aback by her words as usually people doesn’t dare to reply to his rudeness in this way. Not even a single time, this kind of throwback had  never happened to him like people usually just ignores his rudeness because they all know how useful he is to others so instead of being on the wrong side , they just tolerates his aggressive and rude nature without any words. It is an unwritten rule in his friendship agreement to never talk back to him and especially when, when he is angry or pissed off. But she just called him jerk, just a few moments ago with such a composed sentence that he felt something in himself shaken. He don’t know why he was fuming but he was sure that if he saw her back again in this college and if she repeated the behaviour, he is not going to spare her. He will show her who he is.

Anya was feeling angry that how some random guy can shout on her? Who was he to think that he is superior to her? She was feeling like screaming at his face with all the pent up frustration from the whole morning, like where is that damn staff room. She still can’t see any sign of human presence in the corridor and the only presence she saw was an idiotic jerk. She was on the verge of frustration when she saw a man walking around with pile of papers in his hand. She ran to him as soon as she saw him.

“Stop” She screamed.

He turned around and looked at her with a baffled look like he saw someone really unexpected.

“Yes”

She was breathing hard when she reached him so she bent down a little and put her hand on her knees to catch some breath.

“Um… Wait”

“Okay” He said in a calming tone.

After few moments which felt like a long time to her, she asked him

“Um.. Can you tell me where the staff room is? I was supposed to meet Mr. Kim”

He looked at her with wide smile and said “I am Mr. Kim and anyway you are Anya, right. You were supposed to meet me.”

She looked at his face, he looks really young like he must be only a few years older than him. He has a nice and cute face which can automatically lifts up your mood if you saw him. And if you look at him through girls eyes , he was definitely handsome.

He saw her checking him out from top to bottom, so to answer her unspoken questions, he replied “I know what you are thinking, but I am just a temporary teacher here” He found the look on her face amusing with her eyes looking a little more wide than they really is and her lips parted a little to show her shock.

“By the way, I am Kim Junmyeon and today college is off so you can leave after submitting your documents” He replied to her unspoken queries with a soothing voice.

She looked at him when he answered his unspoken questions like is he is some fortune teller or some thought reader who can get into her head , How can he hear her questions , not once but twice. He answered her questions twice. Incredible.

She submitted her documents in the staff room and was about to leave when junmyeon called her and asked her if she wants a tour of the campus to not to get lost in the antique maze like today. She agreed and went with him with no obligations. As they were walking through the corridor, he tried to make a conversation with her,

“So, you are from US? There are a lots of nice colleges in US, why did you decide to come here?” He asked.

“It’s not about the college, I just want to explore the world independently so I decided a foreign country would be better for me, so here I am” She smiled at her last words proudly.

Junmyeon looked at her and he can see the light in her eyes, how they were shining in that moment, how her face was glowing when she was talking, she looked so innocent and so full of charms that he couldn’t resist but smile at her.

“I see, you indeed have some charms” he told her.

She laughed at the compliment, “We have just met and you already found me charismatic, isn’t it too soon to be complimenting me?” . As soon as the words were out of , she felt guilty when she realised that her words looks like she is flirting. But when she looked at him, he wasn’t at all bothered by her comment so she felt relieved and ignored the guilt.

The tour ended and junmyeon gave her the time table for tomorrow and left her to go back to her room.

She went to her room, she can already feel the jet lag working its way on her.When she entered her room, she saw a large suitcase was lying on the otherside of her bed, and she can hear someone humming in the bathroom. After placing her bag on her bed, she knocked on the door lightly.

“Is that you, Kim Jongin? I told you not to meet me unless I want to” A loud  girly voice came in.

“Uh.. No, I’m not whoever you think I am”

The bathroom girl came out as soon as she heard new voice. She was wiping her face with towel that was when she noticed her, she had round ace with a little plump lips, her hair was tied up in a high headed bun, so overall she looked pretty according to anya ‘s standards.

“oh.. sorry I thought someone else entered the room, so sorry” the towel girl apologised.

“Um its ok, anyway you are?” Anya asked.

“I am Krystal, your new roommate” Krystal replied.

“I am Anya” Anya told her with a sweet smile.

“Anyway where have you been? It’s off today or were you out meeting someone?” Krystal asked.

“No, I don’t know anyone here, I was asked to submit some documents in the staff room so I went there”

“Oh” Krystal said and took a seat on the edge of her bed and looked out of the window and asked her

”Do you think this is a nice place?” There were some dark expression on her face when she asked her, when anya looked at her, she felt something creepy with the tone of her voice like she is giving her some warnings.

“I don’t know, so far I have met only three persons here and out of them two were okay” anya replied and went to the cupboard to get some loose to clothes to change into. She took out her shorts and tee and was about to enter the bathroom when krystal spoke “Don’t trust anyone here, not even yourself”

And turned her back to sleep. Anya found her really creepy and the place is also super creepy, wow. It will be really hard for her to survive if things went like this for her. She ignored her and went to bathroom. After taking bath, she found her roommate sound asleep, even though it was evening but she felt so tired that she couldn’t manage to keep her eyes open and went straight to bed without having dinner.

It was a loud bang on the door that wake her up from her dreamless sleep.when she looked around , she saw her roommates bed was empty with covers placed perfectly in their original place. So she thought that it must be her roommate on the door, she went to the door to open it. She wasn’t expecting a boy so she felt a little conscious of her messed up sleepy attire but she just let it pass.

“Where’s krystal?” The boy looked at her in a needy and desperation can be seen in his voice.

“I don’t know, she was gone when I woke up” Anya told the boy.

“Oh” the boy sighed and was about to leave when anya interrupted and asked him “If you want, I can give her the message that you came by looking for her”

“Um.. Ok Just tell her that kai came by.”

“Ok” she told him and closed the door. Kai, what kind of weird name is it. She went to her bed and checked the time on her cell phone, she was getting late for her first class, she hurriedly got ready and went to her class. When she went to her class, all the kids were already there, so she knew that she was just in time for her class. She spotted an empty seat right in the corner where no one was sitting so instead of making any eye contact with anybody she just took her seat. Nobody tried to talking to her through whole class so she felt better as she wasn’t bothered by anyone until when she got out of her class, somebody patted her on her shoulder. She turned back and looked back to find out who it was.

“Hello” the boy said with a bright smile on his face.

“Hello” She replied.

“I am Chen, you are new here if I’m not wrong ?” he asked.

“yes”

”Ok, do you wanna join us for lunch? ” He asked her in a playful and vibrant voice.

“Sure, if you are okay with it.”

“So lets go!” He said in an excited voice. ”Anyways you didn’t tell me your name”

“Oops! Sorry for that. My name is Anya”  She laughed at her own self for being so dumb. He joined in the laugh too.

When they entered the cafeteria, it was already filled with kids, all the tables were taken so she was looking for any vacant seat. Chen looked at her and saw the look on her face and cleared her confusion in an instant.

“We had a fixed table here so don’t worry about the seats here, Lets go”

He took her to a large table in the center of the cafeteria but when she looked she saw her roommate already sitting here  with the boy who dropped by their room earlier in the morning. They both were seated together and the boy had his hands on her thighs and making imaginary images on her thighs like it was a canvas to paint. He was whispering something into her ear when she looked up at her and noticed her, the boy followed her.

“Hi roommate, hello chennie chen” she looked at both of them and greeted her with a smile. The boy next to her also said hi to both of them and then they both went back to their personal conversation without even listening to their replies. Chen saw the confusion on her face and told her that they are like this whenever they are together so don’t mind them. She took a seat in the middle when she noticed a boy seating opposite of her with his head down playing game on his phone with his earphones plugged in. When she put her tray down, he looked up at her and both looked at each other right in the eyes. Anger started to build up in her when she looked at him and he could feel the same too when he saw her sitting right in front of her. They both stared at each other in silence for quite a few seconds, the tension could be felt from distance. He could feel his blood boiling in his veins, she could feel her temperature rising, she didn’t want to see him back again with her last bitter encounter with him. She didn’t want to see him at all actually but here she is sitting right in front of him. The tension among both of them could be felt by everyone sitting at the table, even her roommate and her boyfriend were looking up at them with curious eyes. To break the tension between them, chen interrupted

“Do you guys both know each other from before?”

They both glared at him and said in unison

“NO!!”