Misattribution

Misattribution
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: STUPIDITY AT 2AM, RUSHED, MAKES NO SENSE

 

 

 

 

 

 

Misattribution of Arousal

According to the two-factor theory of emotion, when we experience arousal, we turn to our surroundings to explain our arousal. This can lead to misattribution of arousal, where arousal is attributed to the wrong causes (e.g. believing the fear arousal from watching a horror movie is due to having a crush on one's movie partner).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Misattribution

Daehyun squints at Youngjae from across the room. The classroom is filled with chatter, most of the students clustered in groups while the teacher's out. Youngjae, resident pretty boy and good samaritan, sits with his good friend Junhong as they ramble about last night's game.

Himchan sits by Daehyun's side, lazily gazing at Youngjae as well. Daehyun clenches his fist and shakes his head.

"Look at him," Daehyun grits, heat suffusing his chest. He huffs as he narrows his eyes further. "Look at that smug face, Himchan. Seriously."

Himchan flickers his gaze over and bats his lashes slowly. "Smug face?"

"Can't you see it?" Daehyun snorts, eyes widening in incredulity. "Look at how much of a d**k he looks like. I'm telling you, a guy like him is up to no good."

Himchan nods slowly. "Sure."

"What, you don't believe me?" Daehyun raises his voice.

"I never said that."

Ignoring Himchan's reply, Daehyun blurts, "Yoo Youngjae is evil. Just his face pisses me off."

Daehyun frustratedly sighs and pulls at his shirt to fan himself. "God, I'm feeling so mad just from looking at him. If he could get out of our class, wouldn't it be great?"

"Sure," Himchan repeats. He lifts a finger and places it on Daehyun's arm. "Why are you so warm?"

"Because I'm pissed off at him. He's so fake."

"You're breathing so heavily too," Himchan comments.

"Like I said, I'm angry at him," Daehyun explains, crossing his arms as he continues dissecting an oblivious Youngjae.

"What did he do to you, again?" Himchan hums, propping his head up against his arm.

Just then, Youngjae glances over with doe eyes, catching Daehyun's gaze. He melts into a small smile, eyes crinkling at the sides, before returning to his conversation.

"Did you see that?" Daehyun hisses, grabbing Himchan harder. He's warmer than before, Himchan notes.

"Yes? He looked at you and smiled?" Himchan drawls slowly.

"He's mocking me, Himchan. Don't be so dense, god. I'm going out to cool down." Daehyun abruptly gets up and grabs his water bottle, trudging out of the classroom. Himchan lounges in his seat as the class chairman Yongguk roams over. He collects Himchan's homework and moves to Daehyun's table.

"Where's Daehyun?" Yongguk asks absentmindedly as he grabs Daehyun's worksheet.

"Went out to cool down."

"Youngjae?"

"Yeah."

Yongguk settles down in Daehyun's chair as the two boys stare at Youngjae, observing the boy lesiurely. "Do you think Daehyun genuinely believes he hates Youngjae?"

"Yes." Himchan lolls his head towards Yongguk, sparing him an earnest look. "You won't believe how empty his head is."

"I don't get it. Can a guy really lack that much self-awareness?"

"He keeps passing off his reactions as anger," Himchan remarks. "Everytime he gets hot, he thinks he's fuming at Youngjae."

"Oh." Yongguk thinks to himself. "But what if he gets a ?"

"I hope he does get one soon. Maybe then he'll finally realise it. I'm tired of hearing him come up desperately with stuff about Youngjae to rant about," Himchan heaves and rubs his forehead exasperatedly.

"I pity you."

Himchan scoffs, "I pity Daehyun more. Imagine cussing out at your crush and ruining all chances you have with him. He's lucky he likes Youngjae and not some other normal person, who would have punched him by now."

"Youngjae deserves better."

Himchan nods solemnly. "Why'd he have to attract a weirdo?"

"Should you guys really be trashing our good friend like that?" Jongup remarks as he drops his bag down in his seat, having just arrived.

"What?" Yongguk a brow. "Do you have anything nice to say about Daehyun?"

Jongup deliberates for a while.

"No."


--

 

It was five months ago when the symptoms started. Daehyun and Youngjae were good friends before that. They weren't bosom buddies, each of them having their own cliques in class, but they got along really well whenever the class boys hung out together as one big group. In fact, Daehyun always made an attempt to get closer to Youngjae. He gushed about how nice the guy was and always seized the chance to be around him, sometimes leaving his friends behind for him.

There was just something so appealing about the boy, Daehyun would say, and his friends would honestly agree. Youngjae was the kindest boy you would ever meet. He volunteered at an animal shelter every Sunday and would offer to help you out if he ever saw you were struggling. He had a soft spot for children and the elderly, would do favours for you without hesitance and made a point to buy a present for all his classmates when their birthdays came, even if he did not know them personally.

It was understandable for Daehyun to adore the boy because many others did. Daehyun stuck to Youngjae like a bee to a flower, annoyingly buzzing around Youngjae all the time. He'd dart over to Youngjae when he saw him in the hallways and hastily take his books, insisting on walking Youngjae home. Other times, he'd unwittingly follow Youngjae into the bathroom and only stop when Youngjae sweetly asked him if he could wait outside the cubicle. When he went out with friends, Daehyun would always suggest to go to the mall near where Youngjae lived, looking out like a hawk for the boy (and pretending it was a coincidence if they ever bumped into Youngjae).

As kind as ever, Youngjae never minded Daehyun's suffocating company. He welcomed Daehyun and showered him with care and affection, speaking of him nicely even though some commented that Daehyun's behaviour was getting pretty concerning. Daehyun would always blurt out by accident how adorable Youngjae was---during random times in a conversation and even to the boy himself. Of course, Youngjae accepted the compliments graciously despite how odd they were from a 16-year-old acne-ridden boy to another 16-year-old boy. It was in Youngjae's nature to never discriminate or judge, no matter the weird things Daehyun did in his presence. Examples include Daehyun screaming out of nowhere in some undecipherable anxiousness, randomly snatching Youngjae's bag away so he could hold it for Youngjae, and how he snarled whenever Youngjae hugged any person that wasn't him.

Then, Daehyun began noticing how hot he got everytime he stood near Youngjae. His heart would race and he felt like throwing up every time Youngjae gazed up into his eyes. His palms would turn sweaty and he felt like somebody was stomping on his windpipe. The heat got to a point where Daehyun could stand out in the snow without an inch of worry, as long as Youngjae was beside him. This was becoming quite debilitating, especially on summer days where the sun shone mercilessly. So, Daehyun thought hard to seek an answer to this strange circumstances.

There was only one logical explanation:

He hated Youngjae.

It made so much sense. His stomach churned and he felt like vomiting when he saw Youngjae, so it meant that he was utterly disgusted with him. The heat was a byproduct of his anger towards Youngjae. He was breathless because he was always at a loss for words how much Youngjae pissed him off.

It made too much sense for a boy who struggled with his times table. So, armed with this epiphany, Daehyun began taking a hostile stance towards Youngjae. Youngjae was turned into some demon whose every good deed had some hidden malicious intent within. Daehyun took great lengths to avoid Youngjae so he wouldn't feel nauseous and would shake with "anger" when he saw the poor boy. He stopped talking to Youngjae and would rant (about absolutely nothing substantial) to his friends about Youngjae.

It would be a tragic situation if it wasn't so ridiculous.

"Jongup," Daehyun seethes, his fingernails digging into his palm. He glares at Youngjae as the boy queues up for his food, kindly letting a girl go first so she can be with her friend. Daehyun begins panting like a mad man as Youngjae approaches their table with a smile sweet enough to blind.

And it does, but Daehyun misunderstands why.

"Argh, my eyes!" Daehyun covers his face immediately. "Jongup, my head hurts! I'm so pissed! That look of his is so fake and evil!"

Jongup casts Daehyun the most judgemental look he can muster. He makes space for Youngjae and Junhong and offers a friendly grin. "Guys, come sit with us. Hey, where's Jaebum?"

"He's staying in class to finish up some homework," Junhong explains.

Youngjae nods with his customary merry expression. "Hi, everyone." He cranes his head and asks in consternation, "Daehyun, are you okay? Does your face hurt?"

Daehyun peeks through his hands. He almost cusses but Jongup kicks him under the table, reminding him to be civil.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," Daehyun grumbles, cautiously lower his hands. He winces at how innocent evil Youngjae looks and promptly turns away.

"How could you let him sit with us?" Daehyun hisses into Jongup's ear. In response, Jongup discreetly punches Daehyun in the stomach.

"Because he's a nice person, not like you, you freaking lunatic." Jongup whips his head over and curls his lips amiably to ease Youngjae's confusion. Himchan comes over to sit with his tray of food, sitting by Youngjae's side.

"Hey, Jae. Want my fruits? I'm not in the mood for bananas today."

"Sure! Thanks a lot, Himchan," Youngjae bubbles. He peels the banana and pops it into his mouth, Daehyun boring his eyes through Youngjae's head.

For some reason unbeknownst to Daehyun, his crotch shifts. Daehyun leans back in bewilderment as he observes the lump in his pants. Thankfully, Himchan distracts him by posing a question to him.

"Yo, idiot. Aren't you going to eat? You usually wolf up everything so quickly."

"Yeah, yeah," Daehyun grunts. He shoves his food into his mouth and chews boorishly. Youngjae giggles in return, only for Daehyun to cast him a stony look.

"I can't believe you condone evil," Daehyun whispers furiously towards Jongup.

Jongup rolls his eyes and forces out a laugh. "Daehyun, why don't you eat faster since you want to leave?"

"Daehyun wants to go?" Youngjae asks.

"Yeah, he hasn't finished our Math assignment," Jongup lies, shoving Daehyun roughly. "Hurry up and eat."

"Oh, Daehyun, do you need help with that?" Youngjae instantly offers. "I can-"

"Um, no, thanks," Daehyun huffs in a deliberately exaggerated tone. He makes a face at Himc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter