Chapter Two

ZIP WR

 

“Girls what happened? What did you say about Miss Irene?”

 

Joy and Yeri had called their driver. He was their sort of acting-bodyguard for any situation and it was his versatility that hired him, then the trust he gained from the girls that kept him around for good and going. He was scouting the area and watching the people while being extra-edgy because this place was such a last minute resort call. The girls, although he loves them so much, were always so impulsive. And he even picked up Joy’s troubling statement before they ascended the zip-line tower.

 

“Look at the zip-line you say? I mustn’t I am still scouting the area, I should have called for another guard to accompany me. I did not think you were here to-“

 

“No! Look at Irene-unnie! Irene-unnie, she’s…”

 

His head turns towards the zip-line, at first it looks like Irene’s ride is progressing smoothly until he catches her trembling hands trying to stay still. Then he sees Irene’s body convulse into a small but sure drop. She was hanging by a supposed rope’s thread. He knew for sure it was going to break and after staring long and hard enough he knew he had to move.

 

“Ok, stay calm.”

 

“B-But Irene-unnie can’t- U-Underwater??”

 

“Yes I know. I’m going to grab a boat and get to her…-”

 

He feels a stiff breeze as he moves towards the dock by the tower. The dock is lined with multiple small boats. He manages to spot the Rescue boat sitting idle within the variation of the other purposeful boats. A crew were nonchalantly tidying up within their boat when he reaches them.

 

“Excuse me, this is an emergency. The girl on that zip-line is going to fall. Her harness’s rope is snapping.” He fiercely informs. He eyes Irene to check whether she was okay but he could tell otherwise because she had lowered an inch more than before. The crew on the boat notices Irene and nods to each other with a hard look. They nod to the bodyguard and then started shuffling to a frantic state in order to get ready.

 

“Okay. We are going, don’t worry sir!” The bodyguard was told by someone who seems to be the commanding lead of the Rescue crew. 

 

“Rescue team, get ready! We have a rescue situation. A girl on the zip-line has a harness that will potentially snap, she will will hit the water in any approximate moment.” The leader informs his crew through a walkie-talkie device, the authority is clear cut in his tone and the bodyguard sighs a small relief as he sees the crew stand in procedure to equip themselves with their rescue vests.

 

“Sir, thank you for notifying us but you need to step off. We will handle this.” The bodyguard is told. “But-“, he wants to go. “We cannot take a civilian with us, please understand, for other issues.” He knows that, he lets out a sigh before giving a sharp nod in acknowledgment of their protocols then takes his foot off the boat’s entrance in defeat.

 

“Immediate Launch in 2! Got that!” He hears the same lead yell behind him. The bodyguard hears the following hollers of “Yes!”, “Copy!” as he steps off the dock. He makes his way up until he notices his phone ringing.

 

“What do we do? Irene-unnie looks like she’s going to fall!!”

 

“It’s okay, calm down. I know you must be scared for Miss Irene but the Rescue team will be departing any time now and they’ll save Irene if her line really does snap…”

 

“Is that so?” He could hear the voice change to that of Joy’s quivering.

 

“Yes, Miss Joy do not be fret. I am heading up so I can assess the situation better.”

 

He jogs back to the tower and is about to take a step when he hears a halting shriek from the direction of the zip-line. His head snaps to the crescendoing pitch until it is swallowed into silence by the water. He tries to keep a quiet mind but he is absolutely shaken for Miss Irene because he knows she must be so terrified being within the body of water. Miss Irene does not know how to swim very well and she is no where comfortable with water unless it was shallow enough for her feet to stand on. He swiftly takes hold of the stairs' handrails and jumps the steps in pace. When he only has two more sets of stairs to climb he hears an unfamiliar voice cry out a name.

 

He reaches the top of the tower only to see his Joy and Yeri by the front, watching in horror of something close below. Another girl was beside them and he assumes this girl was the one who had screamed out. He approaches them when suddenly the unknown girl cries out again, “WENDY-YAHHH!”

 

“Excuse me, but what happened?” He decides to enquiry with a new look of anxiety over his face. His eyes shift to the lake’s bed and sees a body struggling to frontcrawl in the water. Although the struggle was true, the body was still managing to paddle through. He sees ahead and he can see Irene’s body labouring in float. The distance of these two bodies are getting closer, though slowly, still the distance made a sense of thinning.

 

“My friend! I didn’t know she could swim!- No besides that, she’s afraid of the water too!!” The girl tells him with a sort of fear in her eyes. “Look at her dog-paddling! Oh my days, Wendy-yaaah!!”

 

“She can’t swim? Miss?” He probes.

 

“She knows how to float in water… It seems…” The girl’s focus shifts to her friend again and she’s in thought. She looks very stressed out. “But... The last thing she told me about her and water is that she almost died!”

 

The bodyguard eyes darts forward. He takes a step towards the edge of the platform. He sees Irene’s flailing hands look limper and the other trying-to-swim girl very close but somewhat slacking. He sighs, he wonders how of all the people who jumps, even if to save Miss Irene...

 

It's like in the movies, but how did it manage to be such a poor soul, also afraid yet acting so forwardly brave. His eyebrows arch and so does his two clients. The other girl has her head tilted up while covering her face with her hair... She couldn't watch.

 

He decides to act. With quickness, he heads to the right handside of the tower and sees that the Rescue boat has still not departed from the dock. They’re taking longer than he thought they would. They were past the ‘2’ marking minutes. The bodyguard looks at the two girls in the water. He sees one disappear. A bout of gasps takes the air around him. Even the girl who's face is covered, uncovers her eyes and follows with her own gasp of shock.

 


A/N fjdalfhjlafjdal 

(@mellifluouswan) I wanted to semi-address the 'Can Seungwan swim?' comment. I don't think she is a confident swimmer nor do I know if she can swim at all. I mean omg, Yeri's confidence in swimming in LUP1, I really can't say anything abt that. But in this ffic, she has the basics to swimming, sort of. I mean D:

(@Eririn) But yeah, we've only seen RV in or near /shallow/ water: Dream Team swimming pool cut (even then they didn't really enter the pool), The Red Summer Vacation special clips, LUP1 filming too of course - where Wendy talks about how she almost drowned in a hot spring but people thought she was synchronized swimming. Not to mention Irene's trauma with water above her chest ><.

So disclaimer: I'm not saying Wendy knows how to swim at all!

Thanks for bringing it up and for the comments, subscriptions, votes!! ^^/ I appreciate them a lot! I managed to write this up in response :v!