FOUR.

[ completed ] Ambiguous

He was 19; she was 17.

That was the year he got himself a girlfriend.

It happened not soon after the start of the first semester of college. She was his classmate during his first year of high school and whether it’s coincidence or by fate, they got into the same course.

And, it just happened.

Okay not really, Nayeon helped a little. Scratch that, she was his wingman, in this case, his wingwoman. She was the first to realize that Mark had a crush. She was also the one who approached the other her and realized that she too, had a crush on him. And, she was the one who set them up on a date.

Initially, Nayeon felt really proud of herself and of Mark.

“I was so worried you will never get a girlfriend because you’re so quiet.”

“I’m not quiet.”

“You are, just not with me. But, I’m happy for you.”


She really did mean it when she said those words. But as weeks and months pass, she started feeling empty and honestly, a little lonely. When the high school year began, it was weird for her to not meet him at the rooftop for lunch.

It was empty without him during dance practice despite her having fun with the others. But it’s still different.

Now that her best friend is dating, it got worse. They don’t hang out on Friday nights as much as before now since he will be out with his girlfriend. He stopped helping her with her studies since her grades improved and he had to work on his own project… with his girlfriend.

It’s not that Mark neglected her on purpose. He checked on her frequently even though they don’t meet as much. He did try to ask her out for a simple dinner but she rejected him, saying that he should spend more time with his girlfriend at the beginning of their relationship.

He said okay. To Mark, everything Nayeon said about his relationship is true and he will really follow her words.
Until one Friday night.

He was out on a date with his girlfriend as per usual. Nayeon told him to make sure they spend at least Friday night together if they get too busy. Everything seemed normal; a simple dinner date, just spending time together.

But their date was interrupted by a phone call from Nayeon’s mom.

“Mark?” Nayeon’s mom started and he noticed how shaky her voice is, as if she’s trying to keep herself calm.

“Yes, is everything okay?”

“Is Nayeon with you?” That was the question that caught his full attention as he turned away from his girlfriend who’s looking at him curiously.

“No, we haven’t been meeting up as often.” He answered truthfully, keeping his cool for now even though panic was starting to build up in him. “What happened?”

“Nayeon hasn’t been home since last night!” Nayeon’s mom stated with hints of both panic and worry in her voice. “We thought she might be with you since she’s always at your place whenever she’s upset over something. Her injury hasn’t fully healed at and now…”

“What injury?” Mark interrupted her. “Auntie, how did Nayeon injure herself?”

He took in a deep breath, feeling guilty and worried at the same time. How could she not say anything? Isn’t he her best friend?

“That was the reason why she’s been so upset. She hurt herself during one of her practice. She’s been practising a lot more since the national dance competition is coming up. She mentioned about a promise to you but now that she got herself injured, she had to give up the position.”

“I promise you, to bring back the champion trophy for our dance team!”

That promise, he had not expected her to take it so seriously. If he did, he wouldn’t have agreed to this. It was full panic mode for Mark now. Nayeon has never been this irresponsible even when she’s upset. She will at least go to someone, mostly him, which is probably why her mom called him.

“Don’t worry, I will definitely find her.”

He ended her call and turned back to face his girlfriend whom he had forgotten for that brief moment. She kept her gaze on him, the same curious look plastered on her face as if asking ‘what happened’ without saying anything.

“Nayeon’s missing.” He stood up from his seat and gave her an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, Lena, for cutting our date short but I really have to go.”

Lena stood up too, which surprised Mark.

“You’re going to search for her right? I will go with you.” She stated firmly. “I’m worried too.”

He merely gave her a slight nod as a response and headed out from the café.

Lena had never once seen Mark like this. He’s always been cool-headed, even when things are not going well with his project; he still managed to calm himself down.

But right now, seeing him like this, all frustrated everytime he doesn’t see Nayeon’s presence at the possible place she will be. It’s something really new to her.

“Where did that dumb girl go?” He muttered under his heavy breathing. Whether it’s from all the running or him panicking, Lena can’t differentiate anymore.

“Calm down, Mark. Where does she usually go when she’s upset?”

“It’s usually my place,” He replied quietly then paused for a moment. Out of all the places he searched for, his place was the only one that he hadn’t checked. He assumed that she wouldn’t be there since she didn’t even tell him about her injury. But he couldn’t care less anymore, finding her is his priority right at that moment.

Mark and his girlfriend took a cab back to his place and the moment they stepped out from the car, they spotted a small figure coming out from the elevator.

It is Nayeon.

Before Lena could even say anything, he had already run to where the younger girl is.

“Im Nayeon, what the hell were you thinking!” He bellowed, something Lena had never seen him does. The Mark she knew, has never once raised his voice.

Nayeon jumped a little, surprised and looked up to see him rushing to her with Lena following closely behind.

“Oh you’re home.” That was Nayeon’s quiet reply. Even though she managed to crack a small smile, Mark could easily tell something was off.

“Hello Lena.” She greeted too in which the older girl smiled in response but before she could express her concern for Nayeon, Mark interrupted her.

“Are you dumb?”

“What-“ The two girls blinked, both looking at him in slight surprise but Mark gave them no chance to question more.

“Why didn’t you say anything!?” He raised his voice again, pausing for a short moment as he brushed his bangs back in frustration before he continued. “Why didn’t you mention anything about you getting hurt!?”

Nayeon looked down in silent, which is a rare sight. It took her a while to finally answer his question.

“I didn’t want you to worry. Knowing you, you will probably fuss over me and neglects everything else. Also, just in case, I didn’t want to interrupt you and Lena.”

“Where were you last night?”

“I was in school, in the practice room.” She purposely left out the part where she cried alone in the room and continued. “But I fell asleep. When I woke up, it’s already morning so I just went to class. I really didn’t want to come to your place but, I guess my legs brought me here.”

“You cried, didn’t you?”

“No.”

“Liar, your eyes gave you away.” His voice finally softened down. “I told you before, it’s okay to cry in front of me.”

He reached out to pat her head gently as Nayeon’s lowered her head even more. Even though her long hair was covering her face, Mark knew that she’s crying again.

Lena slowly took a few steps back and walked away. That was a moment between the both of them and at that moment, she knew that Mark has forgotten her existence.

It took Mark a week to cheer Nayeon up completely. During that whole time, he didn’t once bother about anything else. Nayeon had tried to make him focus on himself and even brought up Lena but he said he apologized and that she will understand.

He went to pick Nayeon up from school a few days after he’s sure she’s hundred percent okay.

“Aren’t you on a date?”

“We broke up.”

Nayeon turned to face him, eyes widening slightly.

“It’s not because of what happened right? Did Lena get the wrong idea? I can go and explain!” Nayeon rambled as she heads off but Mark pulled her back.

“It’s okay. And believe it or not, I am not feeling any sadness but rather, it’s relief.” He gave the girl an assuring smile and shrugged.

“Come on, let’s go for dinner. I’m hungry.”

One day ago…

“What do you want to talk about?”

“Let’s break up.”

“Why?”

“You will figure out one day. And, you do realize that you didn’t even protest to my suggestion, right? All you wanted to know was the reason."

 


This is probably the longest chapter out of the published ones. It's a proper one shot style, there will be a few more that will be like this style but there will also be short ones like the previous chapters. Again, I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter, I personally had fun writing it. Leave some comment yeah and do share which is your favourite chapter as of now!