The Story

Repeated
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was another bright day. Just the beginning of our daily routine. Getting up amidst the plain white walls, from the crome plated steel bed furnished with a plush memory foam pillow and comforter, I stretched my hands and legs while on the bed.  Slowly, as we were taught to, I rotated my neck to not cause any sudden jerks and from the corner of my eye saw my partner doing the same routine on her bed. We were the only pair in this facility. I had not seen any one else living together. Yes, once out of our rooms we all were allowed to talk-even intermingle with the others but that was limited. We did not have much to talk about anyways and were not even assigned duties that generated much narrative around it.

' It is the year 2050, day 364, hour 7 and minute 30. Greetings from the headquarters. The world outside is unsafe and hence your facility, made just for your protection heartily awaits your presence to keep it up and functioning. We shall await for all citizens on their way to work with a happy smile and .....'

The daily announcement started from the invisible speakers in our room, signalling that we had another half an hour to get ready and get to our daily workforces. It wasn't that we were robots or anything, we had them at our workplace, and they were relegated to the jobs that were deemed unfit for the human.  We however were just programmed into doing things in a disciplined way.

Streching done, I headed to the shower first, like always followed by my roomate. Sitting down on my sleek white marble table with box steel frames and one light wood drawer, I started my diary entry.  Momo, my roomate had come out and was doing the same routine, when a sudden screetching sound and break in the visuals of greenery from the holographic projectors outside our windows, made her look at me. There was no emotion in her eyes just a slight twinkle, which immediately died down, when the daily hum started outside our rooms to indicate it was nearing time to work.

---

The white wide hallways led to a huge floor to ceiling steel and glass door. This was the only time we would be outside, that is the walk from our rooms to the other grey building of which we could never see the end. The holographic projector seemed amiss though. I looked around, no one seemed to notice. Momo with a very slight, easy to miss, tug at my hand got my attention. She was looking at what normally would be blue skies, the projector seemed to have glitches, and there were occasional hints of red glow dust with a tower in the back. Not one to miss the beat, we both immediately looked down and ahead while holding hands like had been the norm and proceeded in the same pace as soon as we reached the queue that formed at its entrance.

As a community of priviliged individuals with high spectrum jobs, or so we were told, we were not allowed to bring anything from our lodging facility to our work facility lest we contaminate its environment. The only time Momo and I separated our hands since leaving our rooms was at this security check. Going through a maze of silver grey walls each with different body sensors, I finally reached the end tube which would let me pair up with Momo again and head to our stations. This tube faced a vast field and I always saw it green with lush and dense trees at what seemed the end. Facing it through the glass walls, before the stanchions, the blue skies seemed to once again flicker. 

---

We both were technical recruits and were tasked with the daily running of all the services of the facility via computer generated and robot supported mechanized systems. Thus this glitch caught our eye immediately. But if you blinked you missed it, and talking at the security was prohibited, so by the time we re

Please log in to read the full chapter