From afar

Push and Pull

- That was March 2015 -

“N-n-n-no, no, no, no place I'd rather be

When I am with you, there's no place I'd rather be”

 

As the music stops, Matthew stopped his dance and looked into the mirror to only find a tired-looking self. A drop of sweat rolled off his toned jawline. He wiped it off with the back of his hand and stopped the music while tossing off his sweaty tshirt. He stuffed his sweaty clothes into his backpack and left the room. Taehyung said they’d have a late dinner together somewhere near the company, so Matthew is leaving practice early for once. They were meant to debut a few months ago with in a hip-hop duo but the project came to a hiatus. That was the first time when Matthew doubted his worthiness to the company.

 

“No it’s not anything to do with you two. We decided that the market is too saturated and hip-hop duo is not going to make a breakthrough. Don’t worry, we will save you up for something if possible.”

 

He still remembers how empty his heart felt upon hearing the news from their supposed-to-be manager. He has always been a rather confident guy. He sings, he raps, he dances, he jokes. He is nice and therefore rather popular among other trainees but he knows it really, he is just putting up a bright front for disguise. Deep inside, he is no different than other fellows who are trying just as hard as he is to get a debut chance. He is just as desperate as they are.

 

He shook his head trying to shake off the undesired flashbacks. He was walking absent-mindedly down the silent corridor until he hears someone’s singing coming from a room round a dark corner. He stopped by and peeked through the small window on the door to see who’s inside, and it turned out to be more than just one peek.

 

Wow she is pretty. Or maybe not just pretty. He’d say she’s one of a kind.

 

She is a topic that always comes up among trainees’ conversation but Matthew has never seen her in person. She debuted, then the group got disbanded. But instead of leaving, she stayed. Other trainees said she is real good so the company tries their very best to keep her in DSP and save her for bigger projects and now she’s in the Baby Kara project. Matthew always practises til late or sometimes he practises early in the morning so it’s usually only him and Taehyung. People say Somin is probably a different tier to most of the trainees in the company so maybe that’s why people don’t see her a lot. Or maybe she just practises in one of those rooms that aren’t usually used. Matthew now knows the latter is true as he has never been in this small room before.

 

She is all focused on singing so she didn’t notice someone’s outside. Looking into the mirror, her voice almost sounds like she is pouring out her own story sincerely. She is hitting the falsettos perfectly and her singing is one of the smoothest that Matthew has ever heard. People always say she is pretty but Matthew has never seen her in person. He has seen her in videos of PURETTY, of Baby Kara project, and he understands why people call her Baby Hara as he sees the resemblance. But seeing her in person is different.

 

There is something more than just a normal pretty K-pop female idol in her. Her features are define and her figure is gorgeous. She is wearing a crop top which subtly shows her abs underneath. The beige jeggings are usually unforgiving on girls but they hug her toned legs perfectly. She looks feminine but she definitely doesn’t give off a weak vibe. Matthew is good at observing people but Somin’s vibe is one that has truly confused him.

 

She is singing a ballad so she obviously isn’t smiling. The cold expression gives her an aura of mystery and elegance of a queen. The slight frown in her brows shows that she is concerned with her performance and she is trying her best to improve as if there is no cap. Her face reminds him of Hara but then it doesn’t; her aura reminds him of Hyuna but then again it doesn’t. He just can’t seem to match her with anyone that he’s met. She is just, so unique. She has got this aura that just pulls people’s gaze towards her.

 

As she stops singing, Matthew snaps back to reality and turns around trying to leave before Somin spots him. Unfortunately his chunky bag sweeps past the door handle and clicked the door open. Somin turned around and looked at the door just to see Matthew standing awkwardly.

 

“Uh, hi Somin sunbae-nim”, Matthew thought just running away would be awkward so he just greeted anyway. He awkwardly put together a sentence and as it flows out he just feels even worse.

 

“Hi”, Somin flashed him a welcoming smile, “You must be Matthew? I have heard of your duo plan, it’s such a shame.”

 

Wow. Matthew thought to himself again. That smile.

Ok now he understands why DSP sees her as their treasure, because she is truly a jewel.

 

“Yeh…It’s ok they said they’d keep me around for some other projects haha it should be fine”

 

“I’ve seen your dance clips, they are so good! You must be practising hard if you are still around this late” Somin said as she walked closer to Matthew.

 

“Oh I uh I wasn’t stalking or anything I just walked past and I uh…” he paused and took a deep breath, “Hey, your singing is good and I’m sure you’ll get it this time, I mean the Baby Kara project.”

 

Somin gave him another smile, “Thanks. I really hope to get this too, I have never thought I could get this far. Good luck to you too!” as she was about to turn around to pack up, she stopped, “Oh and, you don’t have to call to sunbae-nim, just Somin’s fine. And I think you’re older than me? Matthew oppa?”

 

Matthew’s heart skipped a beat upon hearing that soft voice calling him oppa, “Oh yes I’m kinda old haha 92 born.” He looked at his watch just to see he’s already 10 minutes late, “Oh I have to go now sorry, good luck Somin! I support you.” He gave her a smile and waved goodbye.

 

Somin looked at his masculine back as she waved back goodbye, with a hint of blush on her face that Matthew didn’t notice.

 

She’s kind of shy, positive, charming…Matthew formed a mental picture of her after she gets to debut. She has got every attractive trait that all female idols are trying to pursue. Damn, she must be popular if she gets that chance, and he is certain that she deserves it. She is attractive, maybe too attractive for his league, Matthew thought to himself. He smiled and shook off the thoughts then went to dinner.

 

He thought they were destined to have different paths and will never really have the chance to know each other well. Who knows a year later he will find himself wrong back then.

 

He didn't know he won't be watching Somin from afar in the future. The first encounter only planted seedlings for the future blossom.