Chapter 3

The Lost Petal

‘Grandma?’ Yixing whispers as he steps inside the living room of the worn out little house ‘Ah, is that you my little sheep?’ ‘oh and look you’ve brought guests, I have been expecting you’ the short old lady with wrinkles mapping her face and a gentle smile turns towards Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo ‘Ah a quest, I see’ the old lady goes on ‘and you’ve come for my help’. The trio just stand still for a few moments unable to comprehend what is happening before them ‘A mind reader?’ Baekhyun questions ‘A psychic perhaps?’ Chanyeol whispers back to him ‘An intuition, which is so strong it could turn out to be a premonition’ Kyungsoo adds. ‘I have a little of all of those gifts my dears, and add some magic and 100 years and you have yourself an all knowing witch’ the old lady giggles to herself and the boys stay amazed not knowing which question to ask first. ‘The pig needs to be healed first’ Yixing begins to tell his grandmother however, she has already taken out her semi-bent wand (which Kyungsoo thinks isn’t very impressive) and without uttering a word sparks of silver shoot out of the wooden stick and surround Porky, he is instantly healed. Kyungsoo rushes towards Porky shocked that such bad injuries just vanished.

 

‘The Lost Petal’ she mumbles as she wakes up from her rocking chair and makes her way to an old bookshelf next to the fire place, ‘let’s see’ she says to herself while her frail fingers run through the spines of the books ‘Ah’ she says enthusiastically ‘Did you find the book on the lost petal?’ Chanyeol asks eagerly ‘Oh, I forgot what I was looking for, yes yes let’s see’ she says to herself again ‘Oh no Yeol, I think short term memory loss runs in the family’ ‘Ah!’ she says again enthusiastically ‘Did you find it now ma’am?’ Chanyeol asks ‘Nope, it’s not here’ Baekhyun and Chanyeol almost topple over. ‘It’s okay, the map you have with you will serve you well, as well as the company’ her tone suddenly becomes more sharp and serious ‘but remember, the lost petal will only give you what you want most in the this world only if you deserve it’ Baekhyun looks down at his feet, thoughts all muddled, he knows he wants to regain his full powers but does he deserve to? Does he want it for the right reason, it’s a question that has been bothering him for a while so did the witch pick up on it he wonders.

‘Yes he deserves it’ Chanyeol speaks out placing his hand on Baekhyuns shoulder ‘can you please tell us anything else you know’ ‘I can tell you a lot of things boy’ ‘Like the little trinket you always carry with you, a symbol of love, you will be parting with it soon, perhaps in the forest is where you will meet the man’ Baekhyun looks up to see Chanyeols lips parted and a blank expression is swallowing his features, what trinket and what love?. ‘Do not look so troubled, it will be given to someone worthy’ the old lady says and soon turns to Baekhyun ‘as for you young one, you definitely will become a new person after this adventure of yours’ ‘new person with new powers? Baekhyun asks hopeful, only to be ignored ‘as for you little dwarf, well you should head home, your family would be worried, your importance in the dwarf realm will soon be realized’ the grandmother coughs a little to get the dwarfs attention but he did not hear a word.

‘and you Yixing? Is there anything you can see my child’ ‘not really but I feel like you need to give Chan and Baek the strings’ ‘Yes, my boy the feeling of a warlock should never be ignored’ Yixings grandmother twirls her wand in the air and this time two shiny red strings fall out ‘Take these strings and wear them always, for protection and guidance, destiny still has plans for you two’ she hands the two shiny red strings to Chanyeol and Baekhyun who carefully tie it on their wrists and gives the old witch and a surprisingly kind hearted warlock their well wishes before they leave.

 

‘So I guess I’ll be heading back now’ Kyungsoo says as they head passed the mountains again ‘What Soo? Are you not coming with us? I’m already attached to you two’ Baekhyun  pouts as he hugs Porky earning a few oinks from him. ‘The forbidden forest is no place for a dwarf Baekhyun, I belong in the mountains, besides’ he pauses for a second ‘I’ve been away from home for too long, my family must be worried, I need to discuss some things with them’ he looks back at his two new friends ‘but here, the three gold coins as promised, I won’t forget you, you can come and visit whenever you want as well as you elf’ Kyungsoo says trying not to make direct contact with Chanyeol ‘Ah finally the little dwarf likes me’ Chanyeol shows all his teeth in the smile he flashes Kyungsoo only to get a deadly glare in return ‘I’m not little!.

 

‘Is something wrong Yeol? You look worried’ ‘No, it’s nothing, the forest is a few days from here and it’s getting dark soon we should look for a good place to camp’ ‘wow Park Chanyeol’ ‘what did I do?’  ‘I thought we were friends, if you don’t tell me what’s wrong I can’t help’ ‘ah no Baek it’s nothing really’ ‘tell me! I demand to know now’ ‘I just miss home that’s all’ ‘oh’ ‘yeah it’s not a big deal let’s go’ ‘it is a big deal, I’m sure your family misses you too’ Chanyeol looks towards Baekhyun, he doesn’t have a family and Chanyeol didn’t want to bring up his or missing them because he didn’t want Baekhyun to feel bad but look at him, he’s so sincere in his worry for his friend. Chanyeol ruffles Baekhyuns hair ‘I’ll see them soon, hey you should come and visit too once you get your powers, I can show you off to everyone, and brag about knowing the most powerful shapeshifter in all of Luxignis!’ Chanyeol chuckles as he begins to walk ahead. He stops when he realizes Baekhyun isn’t following ‘Baek?’ he calls out ‘You know Yeol, that really does means a lot to me, that after this is all over you’ll still want to see me again’ ‘Of course I would!’ ‘but you know, you don’t have to feel bad about talking about your family when I’m around’ ‘I’m sorry Baek, I just didn’t want to make you feel…’ Chanyeol pauses, he really didn’t even know what he wanted to say.

‘Wait here’ Baekhyun says and turns around while bending over and holding his throat ‘Baek? Oh my god are you okay? Do you want to throw up? What’s happening?’ Chanyeol rushes over to Baekhyun only to find his face glittering and his throat has morphed slightly with tiny slits on the side of them. ‘What are you?’ but before Chanyeol can complete his sentence Baek is whistling a melodic tune that Chanyeol has only heard on Sunday mornings at home, waking him up with that sweet tune that makes you get butterflies in your stomach, the magical songs of fairies.

 

‘Hey you short stuff, you  didn’t happen to see another fairy pass by here by any chance’ ‘my name is Kyungsoo not short stuff who are you and did you know you’re leaking dust all over the’ ‘ACHOO!!!’ ‘Well bless you, I’m Kai! I swear I heard someone call me around here anyway let’s hope you aren’t getting the cold’ ‘I’m not getting the cold It’s all this fairy dust that you’re covered in I’m ACHOO! Allergic!’ ‘To fairy dust? How is that even possible I thought I was hypoallergenic haha’ ‘please get lost I need to get home’ ‘Ouch! That’s mean, you don’t look nice when you’re grumpy, girl problems?’ ‘what no I don’t have a girl’ ‘good to know, I’ll see you around  short stuff bye!’ ‘yeah whatever bye ACHOO!’

‘Kim Kai is the name, fastest fairy there is! It’s nice to meet you, so where’s the fairy that called me out here?’ ‘Oh wow, you’re really’ ‘Handsome?’ ‘yes actually’ Baekhyun replies to the fairy he just called out for ‘Haha no man, I’m just kidding but if you insist I guess my face isn’t that bad haha, what can I do for you’ ‘I’m Baekhyun, I need to send a message to someone, well my friend Yeol needs to’ ‘Of course that’s what I’m here for, fastest delivery time guaranteed’ ‘You can just charge it to my household, the address is on the front’ Chanyeol hands Kai the white piece of page that he was scribbling on moments earlier’ ‘Okay great, is that all? What about you Baekhyun?’ ‘No I’m fine, please hurry’ ‘Will do, bye!’ ‘WAIT’ Chanyeol shouts and Kai settles back onto the ground ‘what did you forget something?’ ‘Uhm fairy dust’ ‘Yes it makes me fly’ ‘No I mean’ Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun, this is supposed to be his quest and he completely forgot about the fairy dust needed. ‘Baek’ ‘Yes?’ ‘Arent you forgetting something?’ ‘what?’ ‘OH’ ‘Kai, sweet and handsome Kai, the fastest fairy there is’ ‘what are you doing Baek’ ‘sshh I’m working my magic’ ‘Can I have some fairy dust please, I think it’s really pretty’ ‘Yeah sure I guess, I leave a trail behind me as I fly so there’s really no reason to ask but here you go!’ Kai claps his hands a few times and specks of rainbow coloured glitter fall in Baekhyuns hands ‘Thank you safe travels!’

‘I can’t believe it Yeol, we already have so many of the items the quest will be over in no time and I get to have all my powers, I’ll get a great job, have an awesome house and everything is just going to be great’ Baekhyun is practically shinning at this point, he really didn’t think he would make it this far so soon. ‘That’s nice’ Chanyeol begins to start throwing wood in the fire he just made ‘Now what did I do to you?’ ‘Nothing, it’s just did you really have to flirt with that fairy? I mean he wasn’t even that good looking’ Chanyeol pouts as he throws another piece of wood into the burning flame which is exactly how the pit of his stomach felt when Baekhyun said Kai was handsome and then proceeded to sweet talk him right in front of him. ‘Haha are you jealous Yeol?’  (Yes I am) ‘No, I’m not I just think it isn’t a good idea to just be so friendly with a complete stranger’ ‘Yes, yes sorry’ Baekhyun giggles as he munches on some apples.

‘I was actually meaning to ask you this Yeol’ ‘Yes?’ ‘What Yixing and his grandmother said…uhm about something you carry and love, what was it about?’ ‘Hmm’ Chanyeol hums as he reaches into his pocket and makes his way over to sit next to Baekhyun. ‘It’s not really an heirloom’ ‘my dad gave this to my mom when he knew she was the one, and she gave it to me to give it to my special someone when I find them’ Chanyeol pulls out a shiny gold encrusted necklace, with tiny rubies that shone under the moonlight like a fire crystal you’ll find in those dragon guarded volcanoes.

‘Let’s sell it for meat!’ ‘What?? No! It’s symbolic and sacred, is food all you think about?’ ‘Hmm yeah and boys’. ‘Boys?’ ‘Yeah’ Baekhyun smiles. Chanyeol understands what he means even though that burning sensation is creeping slowly. ‘Was there someone who you liked?’ ‘There was one!’ His name was Su! He was the best! He was always looking out for everyone, he went off to become a doctor apparently’. ‘It suited him he had like healing hands!!’ ‘He was super cute though, he got married I think’. Chanyeol suddenly felt the burning sensation all within his chest now while listening to Baekhyun praise this other man, must have been the berries they ate earlier he reasons. ‘Oh, why didn’t you two get together then? Chanyeol didn’t mean for his words to sound that bitter. ‘Well we were 8 when he got adopted and I never saw him again, the letters he used to send only lasted a few months, I guess he wanted to leave his orphan life and memories behind. I’m happy for him!’

Chanyeols hidden jealousy had turned into sympathy, he felt bad, that Baekhyun never had a family, a home to go back to that the people he cared about all left one by one without him being able to stop them. It made his heart feel heavy. Baekhyun was always so cheerful and never let his worries show.

‘Baek is it too late for you to find a family?’ this makes him laugh. ‘Yeol, I’m an adult! There’s no way I would get one now but it’s okay, I’ll make my own family some day!’ That was the first time Chanyeol saw it, disappointment and sadness in Baekhyuns eyes.

 

‘Not like that Baek! Hold it tighter, it’s going to slip out of your hands! I can’t help it if my hands are too small Yeol, besides it’s too big! I give up. ‘No, you can’t give up what are you going to do when I’m not around to protect you’. ‘Why where are you going?’ ‘Nowhere but I’m just…’ Chanyeol sighs and looks up into the night sky wondering why he even suggested Baekhyun learn some sort of combat skill. ‘It’s fine Yeol I don’t need to learn how to use that bow and arrow! Besides I want something more manly like a spear?’ ‘More manly?’ Chanyeol looks utterly dejected as he looks down at his precious bow and arrow. ‘No I didn’t mean it like that, it’s cool but I need something practical without skill, like a dagger’ Baekhyun grabs a nearby branch and starts stabbing the air with it bringing Chanyeol into a laugh. ‘Well I don’t have a dagger on me so it’s either the bow and arrow or that twig you have in your hands’. Baekhyun pouts, ‘you were going to make the bow and arrow for me why can’t you make a spear or dagger?!!’ ‘BAEKHYUN YOU ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY, I’m an elf, we use bows and make them, forget it, but when I’m not around and some wild boar eats you, that’s your own problem!’ ‘A wild boar?’ Baekhyun gulps ‘Wow, you know Yeol I always admired the bow and arrow from young, and you look the coolest with it, it’s really my weapon of choice, I think learning how to use it would be a life experience I wouldn’t forget and of course who better to teach me than the best woodland elf there is’ ‘don’t you think the praise is abit excessive? Chanyeol rolls his eyes and begins

‘Lesson 1 : always look directly at your target and where you want to shoot, however you got to aim a little lower than where your eyes are looking, then BAAM you breathe out then release the arrow! Simple’.

‘Uh? Okay look, aim, BAAM. So how do I hold it?’

‘Oh!’ Chanyeol begins to scurry towards Baekhyun and stutters, like this I’ll show you. He makes his way behind Baekhyun, he’s atleast two heads taller than the silver haired man, and wow does his hair smell good.  Chanyeol reaches from behind Baehyun and aligns his hands with the bow and arrow showing him how to hold it. Their hands touch and Baekhyun swears his hand is probably half the size of his teacher. ‘Okay Baek, see that tree? I want you to aim for the second branch on the left’ ‘I don’t think I can shoot so far away’ ‘Just trust me’ Chanyeol squeezes Baekhyuns hand. Was Chanyeol always this tall? Always this handsome up close? Always this calming and safe? Baekhyun wonders why his cheeks suddenly feel a few degrees hotter with Chanyeol this close behind him.

 He can hear the taller man breathe down his nape, his deep voice in his ear was making the hairs on Baekhyuns neck stand. He wondered how he could be so comfortable with someone he met not too many weeks ago as if he knew him all his life. He almost feels hurt that someone out there is going to receive that golden necklace from Chanyeol someday. ‘Baek?’ Chanyeol presses against his back to get his attention and he snaps away from his thoughts. ‘Yeah sorry, the tree okay I’m aiming’. ‘Good, now take a deep breath in’ they breathe in together ‘and’ as they both exhale the arrow releases and flies towards the target getting buried into the wood of the old tree. ‘I did it! I did it’ Baekhyun jumps up, almost headbutting Chanyeols chin. ‘I’m a natural’ he gloats. Chanyeol smiles and moves a few steps back ‘Not too bad’ Okay lesson 2. ‘WHAT there’s more?’

 

Chanyeol tries to sleep that night but all he manages to do is uncomfortably toss and turn. He sits up, supporting his weight on his elbows and touches the golden necklace in his pocket ‘Ugh why did that witch have to say I’ll be giving you away to someone soon, I’m not ready to meet anyone new now’ Chanyeol complains. He stares up at the night sky which seemed like eons contemplating life as one does in this situation however, he feels even more lost now than he did when he left home. ‘I like this, being free, travelling with Baek’ he sighs and turns towards his travel companion ‘Baek?’ Baekhyuns not in his sleeping spot, did he wander off? Does he sleep walk? Did he get hurt? All these questions pour into Chanyeols head as he grabs his bow and runs into the thicket to search for Baekhyun.

Chanyeols panic is soon soothed by an angelic voice singing a song he had never heard before, but he swears it’s already his favourite sound. It’s Baekhyun singing, but where is he. He rushes forward and freezes once he comes close to the source. Baekhyun is bathing in a nearby spring, completely . Chanyeol’s mouth automatically drops open.

Chanyeol instinctively shuts his eyes and jumps into the bushes, his face as red as a blood moon, he holds his hand over his mouth as if trying to muffle his breathing. He can’t help but take another look. The man’s milky complexion, glistening with water droplets is breath-taking, damp hair falling on his forehead and fingers caressing his skin and mixed with such a sweet voice, Chanyeol has to force himself to turn away.

‘What am I doing’ he thinks, they’re both men, guys see each other all the time. So why is he flushed, why is his heart pounding so hard AND why is his pants getting tighter. It’s embarrassing to even think about it and Chanyeol pushes those thoughts aside and steps out of the bushes to view Baekhyun in all his glory, again. It’s okay, we are just guys, it’s fine. But it wasn’t fine. Baekhyuns body was nothing far from jaw dropping. His arms were so slim and his torso so lean, how could someone be this beautiful. Chanyeol jumped back into the bushes covering his mouth once again. Okay I can’t do this, he heads straight to bed and shuts his eyes!