One

By your side

" This is so frustrating " 

The papers flew out of the table as Jungkook's fisted hands landed on it's  surface with  a loud thud.  He groaned running his hands through his messy black hair and placed his heated forehead on the cool metal muttering profanities under his breath . Five days have already passed without any progress. 

" May I come in sir ? " 

The sudden sound made him lift his head up towards the direction of the open door of his office only to find one of the staffs peeping inside with uncertain eyes. 

" Come in " 

The young boy stepped inside throwing small nervous smile towards Jungkook who was now busy scanning a document. After few minutes of lingering silence Jungkook lifted his head up and raised an eyebrow at the boy. 

" Are you going to say something or keep on standing like a statue ? " 

" S__sorry sir. The media outside , they want to talk to you sir " 

" Not this again " 

Jungkook mumbled placing the document back on the table. The media had been bugging him almost everyday demanding answers from him about the case which he had yet to find. Honestly didn't these journalists have any other news to report or places to be ?

" Let's go then " 

They both headed outside the department and as soon as the journalists saw Jungkook they surrounded him like a pack of hungry tigers surrounding their prey. The multiple flash of cameras worsened his already forming headache. 

" Why hasn't there been any progress yet ? " 

" Have you found out who the victim was ? " 

" Why is the investigation process so slow ? " 

The questions were bombarded from every direction. 

" We are trying our best. The case is too complicated as the victim's identity is still unknown. The investigation process is still going on. Be patient , we will find the criminal soon "

" Are you even taking this case seriously ? How many times are you going to shut our mouth ? " 

If Jungkook wasn't already irritated then he surely was now. He turned his head to whoever asked that question.

Standing in front of him was a familiar boy around his early twenties. Jaw clenched, Jungkook glanced at the name tag pinned on the side of the journalist's T-shirt. 

' Park Jimin '. Damn that midget journalist. He always found a way to get on Jungkook's nerves. If there was an award for the most nosy person it would without doubt go to this boy. Resisting the urge to insult the midget journalist , Jungkook swallowed his rage down. 

" We are taking this case very seriously. If you can't help the police,  at least don't be hindrance for us.  " 

Jungkook ignored rest of the questions and strode back to his office. He phoned the crime branch and asked for the officers helping him in this case to be present in his office. 

" Sir " 

The officers greeted him in less than a minute. He nodded his head , gesturing them to take their respective seat. 

" Jin , you are coming with me to the forensic lab. Rest of you, go and investigate the murder location again." 

" Yes sir " 

" You can go now " 

Jin and Jungkook stood in silence as the officer left them alone. Jungkook sighted for the nth time finally letting the distress show on his face.

" Jungkook. Don't take too much stress. I'm sure we will find a clue " 

Jin tried to console his friend. He too was distressed with the situation but didn't let it show on his face. 

" It's been five days already. The media has been bugging me, the higher authorities have been calling me asking for the progress on the case. And we haven't been able to do anything. Hell, we don't even know the identity of the victim "

" From the record of past few days we have found that no one has filed any case for disappearance of any person . It can't be that the victim had no relatives. Strange " 

Jin wondered out aloud.

" Ya, you are right " 

The ringing of the telephone diverted their attention to the device. Jungkook received the call while Jin just stood there trying to catch up with the conversation.

" Ya. We will be there in few minutes "

Putting the receiver down Jungkook glanced at Jin.

" Namjoon wants us to be on the forensic lab. Maybe he has found something about the victim "

The strong scent of chemical evaded their nostrils as they pushed open the door of the lab where doctor Namjoon seemed to be working on some weird looking liquids. The younger doctor glanced shortly at the officers and focused back on the work at hand. 

" What are you working on ? " 

Jin questioned , eyes fixed on his friend's back while Jungkook kept on looking at the dead body placed by their side. 

" Identity of the body " 

" Found anything yet ? " 

Jungkook averted his eyes from the body to Namjoon. He was curious. 

" Just that the victim maybe around early twenties ,about your age " 

"  Any other information ? " 

" Just that. But yeah we will soon find out how he looked like " 

" That would be a huge progress " 

" But it will take some time " 

This was their last ray of hope. If Namjoon succeed in his work than the case would be easier to solve. 

" I don't understand why the murderer had to damage the victim's face. " 

" To complicate the situation, or maybe the murderer was envious of the victim. One thing I can say about the the criminal is that he / she is very skilled. Like,  they erased every clues out there even the identity of the person they killed " 

Namjoon nodded his head in agreement. He opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. 

" What is it Namjoon ? " 

" What ? "

" You wanted to say something " 

" I wanted to know who called the police at the murder site " 

" It was some person named Jhope. We have already investigated him twice. He doesn't know anything about the victim " 

" Hmm okay " 

" We will leave now. Call us if you find any other clue " 

" Will do " 

Jungkook and Jin headed back to their respective office. Jin engaged himself on checking the security footage of the crime area and Jungkook decided to help his team on reinvestigation of the murder site. 

The area where victim was murdered was isolated at that hour. There was no any sign of people except for his team. 

" I don't think we can find any clue here , sir " 

" Okay. You all go back to office and help Mr. Kim. I will be back shortly " 

He wasn't going to give up that easily. His team left him behind alone.

Jungkook traced his fingers on the outline of the body. Suddenly , he heard footsteps behind and turned back quickly on instinct. His eyes met mesmerizing brown orbs , so deep and dark yet so beautiful . Composing himself , Jungkook averted his eyes back to the ground. 

" Officer Jeon " 

The boy said with warm smile decorating his perfect face. 

" You know me ? " 

" Of course. You may not realize it but you are a famous person around this area " 

The boy chuckled. 

" Is that so ? " 

The stranger nodded his head up and down. His curious eyes set on what Jungkook was looking at. 

" Aren't you leaving ? " 

Irritated with the unwanted presence , Jungkook questioned the male. 

" What are you looking at ? " 

The boy either didn't notice the irritation on Jungkook's voice or chose to ignore it. 

" Go home. " 

Jungkook said with firm tone. This boy was too nosy, like certain Park Jimin and he didn't like it one bit. He wasn't here to pass the precious time talking to a stranger. 

" Look. If you tell me your problem maybe I can help you " 

" You will help me huh ? " 

Jungkook once again turned his head to look at the boy directly in his eyes.

" What do you know about the case anyway ? You know nothing. Please leave and go home " 

" I know many things ! " the boy exclaimed never breaking  eye contact with the officer " I'm a  detective. I mean I was detective once."

" I don't believe you " 

" I am not saying you should believe me. Just let me help you " 

The boy was persistent little .

" Fine . But if I find you trying to fool or distract the police then you will be inside jail "

" I agree. Name's Kim Taehyung by the way " 

" I'm not interested in your name. Just do your work properly " 

Taehyung rolled his eyes , crouching down next to the rude officer . They both started looking for clues that the murderer might have accidentally left behind .

An hour passed by and Jungkook was giving up his hope to find any trace when suddenly Taehyung called his name and pointed at something on the ground.

It was a little piece of earring covered in dried blood. Jungkook put on his gloves ,  lifted the item and kept it inside plastic packet. 

" Where did you find it ? " 

" A little distance away from the murder site "

Jungkook his chin in confusion. He had checked that area earlier , there was nothing. How come this stranger noticed the piece of earrings when none of his trained officer could ? This boy was already suspicious. What if this boy , Kim Taehyung was involved in the  murder ? 

" Don't look at me like I'm the criminal " 

Taehyung snapped his fingers in front of dazed Jungkook. 

" I told you I have worked as detective before. I find things that police usually miss " 

" Ya, ya . You have said that already. No need to boastful  " 

Jungkook pushed his suspicious thoughts aside and stood up to leave for his office. 

" How about you come to the police station with me ? You might be help for us "

" No thanks. I have a job to do. If you want my help come here everyday around this time. I'll be waiting for you "

The boy glanced at his watch.

" I have to go. I'm already late. " 

He raced down the street halting his steps when he heard Jungkook shouting his name.

" At least give me your phone no. " 

" I accidentally broke my phone yesterday. I will give you my number as soon as I buy a new one " 

Taehyung waved at him and resumed back to running. He was out of sight within minutes. Jungkook shook his head. What a strange boy. 

Giving the piece of evidence to Namjoon , Jungkook left for his apartment. The entire day was tiring. As soon as his back met the soft mattress , his eyes felt heavy. Beyond closed eyes he saw a pair of warm brown orbs before drifting to much needed sleep. 

The obnoxious sound of the alarm clock woke the officer up. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands trying to erase the lingering sleep in them, jumped out of bed and made his way to the bathroom after glancing at the huge clock that was displaying 4 : am sign , his usual time to start the upcoming day. 

After the morning routine was completed, he left for the police department. He usually ate his breakfast along with his teammates at office. 

" Good morning everyone "

Jungkook greeted as he entered the office , the officers who were gathered around together and gossiping about some topic ceased their conversation mid way and greeted him back. 

" What were you talking about ? " 

Jungkook took his seat studying each and every face. 

" Sir Lee Hanseok is joining our research team from today . That's what we were talking about " 

" Haven't heard of that name before. Is he new or what ? " 

" No sir. Our senior officers have said that he has more experience than us. He was transferred here because___ we are lagging behind in our work "

" We are doing our job just fine " Jungkook felt his blood boil. At least the senior management could have consulted him before deciding on  anything. His team was working so  hard and this is what they get- an addition of new member because the seniors thought they weren't doing their job properly. 

" No matter how hard we try , the senior officers never see our effort " 

The door of the department opened suddenly and in came their senior officer along with a new face trailing by his side. They stood up and saluted the senior officer. 

" Everyone he is your new team leader , Lee Hanseok "

Jungkook lifted his head up to study the new man . The man was around his late twenties, a little taller than him , small scars and cuts decorating his neck and cheeks and he had put on the bandage on his right earlobe. If it wasn't for the police uniform Jungkook would have thought the man was a thug or a gangster. 

" Officer Jungkook " 

Upon hearing his name , Jungkook averted his eyes towards the senior officer.

"You will be sharing your cabin with Mr. Lee. Help him with the documents related to the case. " 

" Will do , sir " 

Jungkook knew better than to argue with seniors. 

" This way " 

He guided their supposed to be new leader towards his office , fished out the files from drawer and handed them to the said male. He watched as Mr. Lee scanned the documents thoroughly and nodded his head in acknowledgement.

" This case seems a bit complicated " 

" It is " 

Jungkook added.

" Found any clue ? " 

" Uh , actually yesterday we found a piece of earring on the site " 

He didn't mention the boy who had help him. Why cause the trouble to that boy without any reason right ? 

" Ear ring ? " 

" Yes. We have given it to forensic lab for test. The reports will be out today"

Mr. Lee engaged himself in catching up with the details of case. Having nothing to do Jungkook decided to go visit Namjoon in his lab. 

He walked out closing the door behind softly. The hallway was dimly lit and the echo of his footsteps was the only sound that could be heard. When the sight of familiar door fell on his sight , Jungkook halted his steps and barged in without permission.

" Morning " 

Namjoon lifted his head from the microscope he was working with and greeted his friend. 

" What brings you here ? " 

" I had nothing to do. Thought of giving you a visit " 

Jungkook took his seat on the stool and fumbled with unused test tubes.

" You , out of all people had nothing to do ? Well , that's new " 

" Apparently the seniors don't think I'm capable of solving the case alone. So they appointed Mr. Lee for my assistance "

Namjoon snorted in response going back to his work. 

" Are you still working on the body's identity ? " 

" Yes , but not right now. I'm checking the sample you brought yesterday. It's not victim's blood on the earring. " 

" You mean to say it's murderer's blood ? ! " 

" Yes. Maybe the victim had fought for his defence before he was stabbed " 

" It's been nearly a week already and no one has claimed the body. It's either the victim had no relatives or his relatives are the one to kill him " 

" The second option sounds more convincing " 

" I really hope he gets justice soon " 

Jungkook gazed at the dead body. 

" You are the one to give it to him " 

The rest of the day went just like that and it was time for Jungkook to meet the mystery boy. He sneaked out of the department. 

It took him half an hour to reach destination on foot. Cold sweats were forming on the side of his temples as he scanned the surrounding for familiar face. Not any sign of Kim Taehyung. He was probably fooled by that boy.

" I didn't think you would come " 

The soft voice made Jungkook snap his head so fast that he nearly sprained the muscles on his neck. 

" Thought the same about you " 

" Well officer Jeon, I don't break promises " 

Taehyung smiled. Jungkook would never admit it but that smile was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. His heart skipped a bit as his eyes captured the hypnotising site. Clearing his throat to distract himself from the unnecessary thoughts Jungkook averted his eyes to something else.

" So , what are we going to do today ?"

" Question the locals about the murder " 

" Haven't you done that already ? " 

" We will do it again " 

" Mr. Jeon. There's a little shop nearby. It was closed for few days after the murder. I saw it was open today. Maybe you should head there. " 
Taehyung pointed at opposite direction. 

So it was decided. Jungkook and Taehyung separated ways to complete the work faster.

Jungkook asked few of the shopkeepers and local residing there if they had witnessed the murder or if they knew anything related to the the victim. Their response was no. 

As he was passing by an alleyway , he saw a small shop Taehyung had mentioned earlier . He crossed the road and made his way to the shop. 

" What would you like to buy sir ? " 

The shopkeeper was a middle aged man with cheerful face. He warmly smiled at Jungkook. 

" I'm not here to buy anything but for your help with something " 

" How can I help you sir ? " 

" You do know about the recent murder around this area , don't you ? "

The shopkeeper nodded his head. Everyone had heard about that brutal murder case.

"Well. I have few questions related to that case " 

Jungkook noticed the fear crossing over shopkeeper's face. 

" If you know anything please tell me. You don't have to be afraid " 

" Sir actually " The man before him swallowed the lump forming on his throat. His voice was barely above a whisper " My wife had witnessed the murder. " 

" What ?! Why didn't you inform the police then ? " 

Jungkook swallowed down his anger. He probably shouldn't scare the man right now.

" My wife s__she said that the criminal was in police uniform. We were scared " 

" Where is your wife ? " 

" She is outside the country " 

" Call her back. " 

" It might take few days for her to arrive back  " 

" I'll be waiting and don't you dare run away from here " 

" I__I won't sir " 

Jungkook his chapped lips , noted the shopkeeper's phone and went to look for Kim Taehyung. Few minutes of walking here and there he noticed the boy near toy shop.

" Taehyung " 

" Mr. Jeon " 

Taehyung hurried towards Jungkook studying his face.

" Found anything ? " 

" Yes. An eye witness " 

" E__eye witness ? ! " 

" But there is a problem "

Jungkook sighted before he continued his explanation.

" The woman is in another country right now. We have to wait for her to arrive back. " 

Taehyung nodded his head in acknowledgement.

' The criminal was in police uniform ' That sentence revolved around Jungkook's head. Was it really possible that a police officer was involved in that murder ? What was the truth ? Should he believe the shopkeeper or not ? Namjoon had said that he had sample of the murderer's blood. Maybe he could take samples of all the police officer's blood and test. But what would they say ? 

" Earth to Mr. Jeon " 

Jungkook jolted out of his trance as Taehyung shook him lightly. 

" What were you thinking about " 

" Nothing "

Jungkook dismissed his thoughts in back of his mind. 

" Wanna have an ice cream ? " 

Taehyung offered ,his lips stretched into a small smile. Jungkook shook his head no at the ridiculous offer.

" Come on Mr. Jeon , you need to cool that hot head of yours " 

Before Jungkook could protest the latter had dragged him towards the ice cream parlor. Taehyung halted his steps few distance away from the place. 

" Go buy two ice cream for us "

" Excuse me ?! " 

Jungkook watched the boy with disbelief. First he was dragged here beyond his will and now the boy wanted him to buy ice cream for him?!

" I forgot to bring my wallet today. I promise I'll pay you back someday " 

Smiling sheepishly at Jungkook , Taehyung gestured him to go inside. The police officer couldn't think of any excuse so he entered the ice cream parlor , groaning in annoyance. He asked for two strawberry flavored ice cream cones and  exited the shop before paying. 

" I can't believe I'm doing this " 

He shook his head as he walked to the excited for nothing boy and handed him his treat. 

" Wow. Thank You " 

Taehyung focused on his treat while Jungkook observed him. Black hair swaying with the evening breeze , beautiful brown eyes that could hypnotize anyone , soft pink lips that could drive you insane . Kim Taehyung looked truly angelic.

" Oh " 

Jungkook averted his eyes to the mess on his hand created by the melted ice cream. Taehyung laughed in response gaining himself a light smack on the arm and a smile similar to his in return. 

" You should  smile more often Mr. Jeon " 

" Taehyung " 

" Yes ? " 

" You can call me Jungkook " 

Several days had passed by. Jungkook's life now revolved around his job and Taehyung , who was become his secret best friend. He still hadn't told anything about the boy to anyone. The woman who claimed to be an eyewitness had also returned back and was now currently on the police station. 

" Tell me exactly what had you seen that night " 

Jungkook questioned pinning the female with his sharp eyes. 

" I was about to lock the shop that day when suddenly I heard noises coming from the other end of the road. I had already switched the lights off so it was difficult for me to see anything. Then I saw a boy around your age , his face was illuminated by the street light. He looked like he was running from someone. He looked scared. I wanted to ask him what was wrong but before I could open my mouth another man showed up. He was dressed in police uniform. I couldn't see his face as he was facing the boy. Then I heard a blood curdling scream. The man stabbed the boy repeatedly. I was scared. I don't know what happened after that. My husband says that he had found me unconscious and brought me to the hospital " 

" Do you remember the face of the boy ? " 

" Yes I do. Very clearly " 

Jungkook dialled the number of sketch artist calling him to meet at office.

They waited for the artist. When the artist came Jungkook introduced him to the woman. 

The woman began to explain the features of the victim while the artist began his sketching. 

They were disrupted with loud knock on the door.

" You two continue on " 

Jungkook stood up from his seat and opened the door. Jin showed up out of breath probably from running around. 

" Namjoon wants to see you " 

He panted. Jungkook glanced back at the artist who was busy talking with the woman.

" Jin , you stay here and guide them okay " 

" Will do " 

Jungkook raced to the forensic lab. As soon as the doctor saw his friend , he pulled him inside and locked the door securely.

" Jungkook , I collected the samples of blood of everyone "

" You did ? How ? " 

" I kinda tricked them. Health test you know " 

" You are genius " 

Jungkook stated proud of his friend. He glanced at his wrist watch. It was time for him to meet Taehyung.

" I have somewhere to go . Call me when the reports are out " 

Namjoon didn't question him and just nodded his head. Jungkook increased his pace time and again looking at the time. He was so distracted that he didn't watch where he was walking and  collided with someone. That someone being Mr. Lee.

" I'm so sorry Mr. Lee " 

Jungkook helped the other up who had sour expression on his face. He brushed Jungkook's hand aside and stood up, throwing a glare before walking off in opposite direction.

" Rude much " 

Taehyung was already there when Jungkook arrived at their secret place. The officer noticed that the boy was quieter than usual.

" Something's bothering you ? " 

" Oh, Jungkook . It's nothing "

Jungkook layed by his bestfriend's side. They interlaced their fingers watching the clouds on the evening sky.

" If one day I were to go far away,  would you remember me ? " 

Taehyung turned his head to look at Jungkook. 

" What's with the sudden question ? " 

" Just tell me. Would you ? " 

" Of course I will. What about you ?"

Jungkook asked back.

" You are in my heart Jungkook. It's impossible for me to forget you " 

" I'm in your heart huh ? ! " 

Jungkook teased. Taehyung blushed hiding his cheeks with the palm of his hands.

" Jungkook " 

" Hmm ? " 

" I want to give you something " 

Taehyung sat down on the ground ,Jungkook mirrored his actions. The officer watched as Taehyung pulled out a pendant from his pocket.

" This is for you " 

Jungkook took the pendant and put it around his neck. The round crystal resting against his chest.

" It's beautiful but "

" But what ? " 

" Not more than you " 

" Shut up "

Tae looked down very shy. Jungkook moved forward and lifted his chin. Their eyes met. Jungkook traced the outline of other's face , his eyes landing on the curves of pink lips . He suddenly leaned forward and sealed those lips with his own.

When they pulled back they shared a smile and leaned again to taste each other.

" I love you " 

Jungkook said engulfing the other in tight hug. 

Before Taehyung could respond, Jungkook's phone rang on his pocket. He received the call thinking it might be urgent. The look on Jungkook's face was of excitement and curiosity.

"What happened ? " 

Taehyung asked curious. 

" The case is nearly solved Tae. We have the sketch of the victim now. I have to go back to my office to check it out  " 

" That's great " 

Taehyung engulfed him in a tight hug. 
" Bye Tae. I'll see you tomorrow " 

" Goodbye Jungkook. Take care of yourself " 

 

When Jungkook reached the department , he literally ran to his office. Adrenaline was pumping through his whole body. He was so close to solving this case. 

Everyone was gathered around his office seemingly looking at the sketch of the victim. Jungkook pushed his way through to the front. As soon as his eyes found the sketch , he felt his heart beat stop. His  knees felt weak, his head pounded and air was knocked out of his lungs. 

The sketch was of a very familiar face. The name of the victim escaping pass his lips.
    
" Kim Taehyung "  


__________________*******___________________
 Dodges bullets. I'm so sorry for the sad ending. 

This is my first Vkook fanfiction. Please leave comments and let me know how was it ? Thank you for reading : ) 

KEEP ON LOVING VKOOK !!!

KEEP ON LOVING BTS !!!!