2.

BTS

‘Next time, hit us both’

--

I sauntered into the café with my eyes half opened and ordered my usual daily fix. My daily routine are café in the morning, flower shop during the day and home at night.

As I was waiting for my coffee, a text came in.

‘Yoon, I need to talk to you. Friday night at my place?’

It’s my brother. He is like our mom, warm and bright like a Sun whereas I’m like my dad, cold as harsh Winter. Both of us are man of few words, if we really do care for someone, we chose to use action over words to express our feelings.

‘Sure. I will be there by 7pm. You’d better order fried chicken. I will get beer.’

I stopped in front of my shop and was fishing for the keys when I could hear the phone ringing inside. Who would be calling early in the morning?

I pushed the door opened, set everything aside and picked up the call. It was one of our clients who is holding a Ceramic event at the Exhibition Hall. They wanted more flowers and I need to get it delivered asap before the opening.

‘Get to the shop asap. We have an urgent delivery.’

I texted my assistant, drop everything aside and started on the orders. I was on my second or third vase when I hear the bell above the door rang.

‘Hey I am here! Sorry it took a while, I got into an accident.’

My assistant smiled sheepishly. 

‘Whatever. We have 10 more to go. Get working.’

She did as she was told. We worked fast and good as a team and got the orders done in no time. As we were about to make the delivery, I noticed some cuts on both her palms. I remembered we have some antiseptic and gauze somewhere. I searched around and found them.

As she was about to carry the vase up, I grabbed her hands over and started applying the antiseptic cream.

‘Ow Ow!’ She yelped.

‘Be careful next time.’ I capped the antiseptic bottle and carried the vase for her to the mini van. She hopped onto the passenger seat and off we go to the Exhibition Hall.

This girl is always clumsy, bumping around tables and chairs in the shop, tripping while walking. I felt bad that she got hurt while rushing to work because of my text.

I noticed she has been in a brighter mood these days. She would smile to herself while arranging flowers or when she is texting.

‘You have been in a good mood lately.’

She looked up from her phone, smiled and nodded.

The shop were fairly empty that day hence I sent her home early. She texted for a bit and hopped out of the shop after receiving a reply.

I close the door behind me and flopped down on the high chair. Stared blankly for a while before turning to the lonely rose lying on the working table next to me. I picked it up and started plucking the petals one by one till the last one.

‘She loves me not…’

I have no one to blame but mself, for not taking action, for not expressing feelings well.

One-sided love is tiring.

Dear Love…. ‘Next time, hit us both’