Chapter 3

A Little More Than He Could Chew

Sometime after their food came, Chanyeol had to excuse himself. He had gotten a phone call from his grandmother, and Baekhyun nodded with a cute smile, waving him off, as he apologized profusely.

    Chanyeol hadn’t been gone long, when Baekhyun’s own phone vibrated. He glanced at the caller ID, gasping lightly seeing Nini Bear flashing on his screen. In his excitement, he had completely forgotten to tell his friends of his whereabouts, and had neglected to check his phone.

    He answered the call with a frantic explanation of where he’s been. He knew anybody watching him would think he’s insane, not to mention half the words that came out of his mouth either didn’t make sense, or were spoken to fast to be recognizable.

    Jongin quickly soothed the boy out of his panicked ramble, the teasing smile behind his voice had its ways of distracting the boy from his issues, “I’m not mad. I just wanted to know if you were okay. Obviously you are.” The teasing lilt in his voice only calmed Baekhyun for a second before he tensed again.

    “I know. I know...but you will be mad, Nini.” Baekhyun stressed the whine on the nickname. He didn’t mean to, but he had found that his friends ----And now Chanyeol---- really knew how to pull the embarrassing noise from his throat.

    “Why would I be mad?” his voice sounds genuinely confused, and it made Baekhyun feel worse. How could he just go behind his friends’ backs like that? He should’ve told them first. Woken them up before he snuck off to a nearly stranger’s house in the middle of the night. But, as much as he regretted his decision, a small part of himself is extremely happy that last night and this morning happened.

    “Because I was with Chanyeol…” his voice came out much quieter than he meant it to. He could hear a soft sigh on the other side of the phone. That noise obliterated any pride he had in his actions. He knew why Jongin’s opinion meant so much to him, and he definitely knew that he never wanted to be the cause of that disappointed noise.

    He had his fair share of moments where he didn’t heed Minseok’s advice but he had also told him he wasn’t going to, which made him feel less like he betrayed his friend. But this felt infinitely different than those times. In this moment, he felt like he deeply wronged Jongin. And though he knew they were only friends he still felt like a ty, immoral, cheater.

    “Did I hear you right?”

    That made Baekhyun feel much worse, because he knew Jongin heard exactly what he said. His heart twisted, and tears welled in his eyes. He couldn’t explain the bout of anxiety that was constricting his chest. He hated that he disappointed Jongin.

How could he fail at the simplest of things so easily. All he had to do was listen to his friends, and he wouldn’t feel like the world was crashing down around along with Jongin’s shallow sighs. He was panicking, and felt an intense urge to explain himself, but he knew that would only result in another word jumble so he kept quiet. Better not to ruin things more.

    He heard Jongin shift, in what sounded like his bed, before the latter continued, “Let’s go out to dinner, just us tonight okay?” Baekhyun’s eyes widen, as he stuttered out a few incoherent syllables.

    “D-dinner?” Jongin chuckled, and Baekhyun felt relief rush through him, when he heard the sound. It didn’t sound disappointed or angry. The smaller gently wiped his eyes, “...that sounds fun. W-why the sudden offer? Aren’t you mad?”

    “I’m not mad Baekhyunnie. I know how he is. I know how easy it is to be in by his charms, but...let me take you on a date okay? I’ll show you what you deserve. There’s much better things in the world than Chanyeol’s impromptu hang outs late at night.” if Baekhyun didn’t know any better, he’d say Jongin sounded nervous.

    His words were slow and calculated, and Baekhyun could visualize him nibbling his bottom lip. Jongin always did that when he was nervous, and Baekhyun would always distract him by booping his nose, then engaging in a conversation about something Jongin was passionate about. Mostly dancing or dogs. Mostly dogs. The big intimidating guy loved his puppies.

    Thinking about how much Jongin loves dogs, however, didn’t stop his mouth from going dry at the word “date”. The harder he thought about the offer the more his heart crept into his throat. He couldn’t wrap his head around the thought of Jongin wanting to take him on a date.

Does that mean he wants to kiss him and hold him? Does that mean the times he’s caught Jongin staring were more than just his friend “zoning out”, as he’d say? How could someone as perfect as Jongin see anything other than friendship in him. First Chanyeol, now Jongin? Something wasn’t adding up. He stayed silent for a second, mulling over his thoughts.

    His internal organs felt like they were experiencing a hurricane. His brain was swirling. His heart was flooding. And he kinda felt nauseous. Apparently, he had spent too long thinking about the offer, dogs, and hurricanes. Jongin felt the need to clear his throat.

    “Just as friends? I just need you to see how much better anybody else could treat you.” the hurricane reached land, but Baekhyun could feel his heart sink. Of course. Jongin was just looking out for him. Why would he actually want to date? He was probably right and Chanyeol didn’t actually want him either.

    “...We can do that...but...if I still see him that’s okay right?” he felt the hesitance ringing through the phone before Jongin answered again.

    “Who am I to tell you who to date? I just...I really don’t think he’s in it for the right reasons Baekhyun, please be careful.” his voice sounded slightly desperate. Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, slightly scared. His instincts were telling him that Chanyeol’s intentions weren’t bad, but Jongin almost sounded like he was begging.

    “I’ll be careful Nini. I promise. Thank you for worrying about me.” his voice softened, genuinely expressing how he felt. He could never lie to Jongin. The boy and Minseok were the two people he trusted most. He settled for smiling softly at the gesture. Maybe the boy was just protective. What a good friend.

    “Good, Hyunnie. I’ll go now. Meet me at that Italian place near your place at 6. Don’t be late. You know I’ll eat all the breadsticks without you.” a playful swing sparked in his voice. Baekhyun admired how the boy always knew exactly what to say to make him smile. He giggled lightly.

    “Oh gosh. Not the breadsticks, Jongin. How can I date a man who ate all my beloved breadsticks?” he played his most distressed voice, gasping dramatically at the end of his sentence. Jongin scoffed into the microphone.

    “How can I date a man who cares more about breadsticks, than being timely to our date?” Baekhyun let out a small hum pretending to ponder the question.

    “Hmm good point. I’ll be there at 5:55. You’ll have to guess if that’s cause I was excited for the date or not.” he giggled, as Jongin broke character laughing at their little display.

    “Oh Baekhyun, you wound me.”

    “I’ll really wound you if you eat all the breadsticks.” Jongin let out a loud laugh. Pulling the phone away from his ear. Baekhyun could still hear him clearly though, giggling along with him. He heard Jongin’s staggered breath return to the microphone.

    “Remind me to disarm the table of the forks.”

    “Oh yes. Leave the knives. Not like I’d ever think to use those.” Both boys giggled again. Chanyeol approached the table again, eyebrows raised. He sat down, mouthing a question of who it was. Baekhyun only waved him off, “I have to go, Nini. I’ll see you tonight~”

    They said their goodbyes before Baekhyun hung up the phone and smiled cutely at the other.

    “Ahhh. You’re ditching me for my best friend tonight?” Baekhyun was surprised to see the other’s fists clenched tightly on the table. He knew he was friends with Jongin, but he seemed slightly pissed. He pays no mind, and tries to resume the playful flirting that was paused by Chanyeol’s departure.

    “Ditching? We had no plans tonight.” Baekhyun replies teasingly. Chanyeol wants to kiss the teasing smirk off his face, “Besides. I have to make up for ditching him for you last night.”

    Chanyeol only nodded, turning his attention to his food. Baekhyun had asked about his change in attitude, but he quickly fixed a smile, and proceeded in their pleasant breakfast.

    They left each other with a hug and a light kiss on Baekhyun’s forehead. Chanyeol felt just about as red, as Baekhyun’s face at the gesture. The boy was so cute. Even small gestures that he had no problem with, were getting his heart rate up.

    The spike of jealousy also was strange. He could care less who his hookups hooked up with. For some reason Baekhyun was different.

He wasn’t some who didn’t want his significant other to have friends, but he felt an urge to claim the boy. Jongin could put his hands all over Baekhyun, and it wasn’t Chanyeol’s business at this point. He wanted to change that.

He scrolled through the couple of photos he had taken during the breakfast. Choosing the latest one. Chanyeol had told Baekhyun a witty joke, but the poor thing almost choked on his food in his attempts to laugh. He had covered his mouth, but didn’t conceal the crescent shapes of his eye smile. Chanyeol had quickly snapped a photo.

When the smaller recovered, he quickly ridiculed Chanyeol for taking a photo rather than trying to save his life. Chanyeol smirked pull Baekhyun in his lap, squeezing him with all his might. He apologized with a quick smooch to the boy’s nape.

He smiled softly, and put the photo as his wallpaper before sending a screenshot to the smaller. The boy had to know how serious he was, if he didn’t want the angel to be scooped up by another casanova. Even if, he wasn’t as serious as his actions showed.

 

~

   

    Jongin stood against a thick aspen tree, contemplating why he had agreed to show up to this stupid confrontation. He told himself, that he was purely there to admire the trees as their leaves shifted colors, though it was far from the truth.

    His eyes wandered the park. Each tree was in varying states of decay. Some contained the perfect image of honey within their leaves. Shimmering like gold in the afternoon light. Others maintained green hues, mixed with vibrant reds and oranges.

    The colors contrasted with the bright blue sky, harboring only a few puffy clouds. He couldn’t help but smile at the cushiony looking beings, floating freely through the sky. How wonderful it would be to ride with the winds, never caring where you’re going or how you’ll get there.

    He shook his head, with a soft chuckle. It was always the little things that got him feeling sentimental. Whether it’s the clouds in the sky, the leaves falling from the trees, or looking into his favorite enchanting eyes, he always managed to wonder if things had to be so complicated.

    The leaves had their path. They changed colors, to drift to the ground, and make way for new leaves in spring. The clouds had their path. Ride the wind to untold places, and occasionally leave a trail of rain or snow it their wake.

    Jongin didn’t know his path. It was the exact reason he was standing under a particularly bare tree, waiting for his best friend to show up, and chew him out. He knew the moment Chanyeol’s caller-ID appeared on his phone, what he was in for.

    He reached up lazily, pinching a shining golden leaf. It reminded him of a certain pair of irises that seemed to catch the sun in the same shimmering way. Those irises were much darker, lacking the golden color, but held Jongin’s gaze longer than any leaf could.

    He picked the leaf off the tree, gazing at it for just a moment longer, when his reverie was destroyed by a disgruntled, “Kim Jongin,”

    He sighed, loosening his grip on the object until it fluttered aimlessly to the ground, “what a pleasure, Chanyeol.”

    “Oh don’t even start. You know I have plans for Baekhyun, so can you please step off?” his tone was clearly exasperated, and his posture exuded annoyance. His broad shoulders pulled back, and his eyebrows furrowed. His voice was low.

    Jongin couldn’t tell if that was a good or bad sign, “So I’m not allowed to hang out with my friend now?” He crossed his arms, stepping towards the taller boy, “Why are you so pressed? Huh Park?”

    “ off, Jongin. You’re acting ing weird!” and there goes the peace and quiet, “you’re normally so on board with all of this. You keep your handsome mug away from my business, and help when it’s necessary. You haven’t even offered to help with this one. All you’ve done is wooed him during our breakfast, then swept him away on a night I had planned to use to get closer to him”  

    Chanyeol had a few inches on Jongin, making his advance slightly more intimidating, but the shorter held strong. They were basically nose to nose. Jongin kept his mouth shut, contemplating his words, instead of blowing up.

    “You know how much of an arrogant prick you are right?” he kept steady and mellow, never once breaking eye contact.

    Chanyeol’s first reaction was to shove him. Jongin’s back hit the tree, causing him to wince slightly, “explain yourself! Stop all this beating around the bush.” Moments like this made them both wonder how they ever made it as friends.

Chanyeol had always been impulsive, selfish, and fiery. He took what he wanted. There seemed to be nothing he wouldn’t do to satisfy his own whims. It was why he still ended up with girls on his , despite the horror stories, that were all true. Park Chanyeol did not lose. Park Chanyeol did not give up. And Park Chanyeol most definitely never let his best friend dictate his actions.

Jongin had always been thoughtful, helpful, and mild. He asked what others needed before ever taking for himself. Perhaps that was why they got along. Jongin was always good at giving, and Chanyeol at taking. Maybe Jongin finally taking, was what would end the friendship for good.

“Maybe I finally realized that you can’t with other people’s feelings just because you’re bored. What does it get you, Park? Making people cry. Does it make you feel powerful or some ? Cause I can tell you right now. If you make Baekhyun cry, I will end your sorry .”

It was Chanyeol’s turn to back up. He had never seen anything akin to anger in his friend’s eyes, but in this moment, he wasn’t sure if his friend was about to hulk out on him. He regained his balance quickly, fire in his eyes, as he stared down his friend.

“Don’t interfere. Baekhyun is mine.”

“He’s a person, Chanyeol. He doesn’t belong to anyone. like this is why he agreed to dinner tonight to begin with.” Jongin was thoroughly finished with the conversation. He turned ready to make his leave, but Chanyeol’s harsh grip latched onto his arm.

“You...asked him on a date… And he said yes…”

“I’ve warned him about you. I’ve told him that your intentions aren’t in the right place, but he’s too naive to believe you’re all bad. I’d like to believe you’re not all bad. He believes it. I don’t think you deserve him. So I’m gonna show him what he deserves.”

“What the hell are you saying. You’re supposed to be my friend.” his grip tightened ever so slightly.

“We were. You mean a lot to me, but I can’t condone your actions anymore. I can’t sit by and let you be awful to people. You gotta stop this , Chanyeol. Stop this madness and we can still be friends.” his tone was somber, and for the first time during the argument, he refused to make eye contact.

He didn’t want to act like a saint, because he was nowhere close. Years and years of tolerance, made him numb to the implications of Chanyeol’s actions. But now that he sees the receiving side, that’s changed.

He doesn’t want Baekhyun to feel the wrath of Chanyeol’s sick little games. He doesn’t want to choose between the two, but his actions aren’t right. Jongin couldn’t stomach them anymore.

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows, confusion etching onto his once angry features, “I’m not… Why would I stop?”

“Cause I’m asking you to?” Jongin risked, peeking over his shoulder at his friend.

Chanyeol only chuckles and shakes his head, “I don’t know what has you feeling so self-righteous all of a sudden, but I’m not changing my ways. Probably never will,” he sounded too light hearted. Too amused.

“Then, we are not friends. I’m going on the date with Baekhyun tonight. And you’ll get to him over my dead body.” He bites his lip, voice much too soft to be threatening. With on last glance, he yanks his arm out of Chanyeol’s now loose grip.

Without another word, he walks away.



~

 

    Baekhyun flitted through his wardrobe, eyebrows stuck in what looked like a permanent crease. He wasn’t prepared for a date, and, woefully, his closet was even less adept to the recent events. Minseok watched him pour through his understocked closet. A amused smile on played on his lips, watching the other.

    “I told you, your lack of clothing was gonna get you one day,” he muses, gently moving Baekhyun out of the way before looking himself, “I wish I was exaggerating when I said all you have is sweaters.”

    A pout takes over Baekhyun’s features immediately, “There was nothing wrong with my wardrobe until cute boys started taking interest in me. Quite obviously that doesn’t happen.” he gestured vaguely at himself.

    “Cute boys? I didn’t know you were into Jongin like that Byunnie.” his smirk never leaves his lips, as Baekhyun quickly tries to reconcile his words. He fails, “I’ll admit, he’s super hot, and he practically worships you. I approve of this more than Chanyeol.”

    Baekhyun lets out a soft whine, plopping onto his twin sized bed. He nuzzled his face into the plush material of his pillow, thinking that maybe if he didn’t move, all his dilemmas would disappear.

    “Minseok,” he started, but only came out as a soft mumble into the pillow. He turns his head to meet his best friends eyes, “Jongin said it was just as friends. And please don’t pretend like I’m anywhere near Jongin’s league.”

    Minseok moved to kneel by the small bed. Baekhyun’s living accomodations were much more quaint compared to the former’s. His house consisted of two moderate sized rooms, a couple cozy bathrooms, and a living room/dining room combo that was to die for.

    It was very homey despite the lack of time they spent in it. Baekhyun’s mother had always had a soft spot for interior decoration, so she had no problem putting her own personal flare into the home.

    Minseok had always admired Baekhyun and his mom, for their dedication and hard work. He had heard all the stories of Baekhyun’s dad and how the man was flaky at best, and disgusting in truth. He had always had the urge to kick the guy in the face, but Ms. Byun had been there and done that, which allowed Baekhyun’s best friend to rest easy. Despite knowing the man was far from sight, he knew he wasn’t far from the two’s mind. Minseok always listened when Baekhyun needed him to.

    The two seemed all too different, but they both understood each other; any differences between them, superficial. They were both outgoing, though Baekhyun was more shy at first glance. They were both adept at being noisy. But, the thing they shared the most, was an undying loyalty to each other. Not a soul at their school didn’t know this.

    Minseok played with the messy locks adorning Baekhyun’s head, “I assure you. From the bottom of my heart. You are more than deserving of Jongin, and he would be lucky to have you.” Baekhyun only sighed, staring into his best friend’s eyes.

    Minseok knew more about him than most of the people in his life. Mrs. Park was tied. Minseok wished the other would confide his mother more, but the latter was strongly against putting his problems on her already loaded shoulders. All the boy could do was help Baekhyun to stand, when his legs were weak, and Baekhyun always did the same for the other.

    It was more than just give and take. It was reliance. They knew that even if the world was crashing down around them, they still had each other. And as cheesy as that sounds, they’ve told that to plenty who have inquired about their friendship.

    Each knew each other’s insecurities, past struggles, and weaknesses. But they also knew each other’s quirks, funny anecdotes, and strengths. Their relationship was its own treasure to each of them. A bond seemingly formed all too fast, but lay deeper than any ocean.

    Minseok massaged Baekhyun’s hair gently, thinking of the right words to say, “...Baekhyunnie I know you won’t believe me, but I think this date will help you both realize what you and Jongin could have. Jongin may have said it was platonic, but I really think that’s bull. I really think his feelings are...different than that.”

    Baekhyun smiled at his friend’s word choice, “Even now, when you’re prepping me for a date, you still keep up those habits.”

    Minseok chuckled, tapping his friend’s cheek lightly, “Because it’s true. To me at least. Damn anyone who thinks romantic love is deeper than friendly love.”

“You’re a dork.” Baekhyun found himself smiling again. His friend was the best thing he could have ever asked for, “but I’m starting to agree with you. Our friendship means everything to me.”

The boy’s smile grew. It was haughty and caused Baekhyun to scoff, before he was tacked by the more muscular boy. Minseok smothered the boy with his body, clinging with all his strength, “Awwwwww! I love you too! This is so heartwarming.”

Baekhyun laughed loudly, trying to push off the leech that had attached to him, “Ewwww! No you’re gross! Too sappy!” he eventually gave up the fight, and relaxed into Minseok’s protective embrace, “but maybe...maybe! I love you too.”

Minseok grins at the boy, leaving a slobbery kiss on his forehead, before standing up again, “No more distractions! We have to make your cute , date ready!”

Baekhyun wiped the boy’s affection off his forehead, simultaneously blushing at the compliment, “Stop calling me cute, meany.”

“Maybe if you stop being cute, but that’s impossible!” he smiles pulling a white button up out of the inconspicuous bag he had brought. At least it was inconspicuous until he pulled out a full outfit for the smaller to wear.

Minseok always carried around his backpack, claiming the school bag was some sort of good luck charm. Baekhyun never expected him to utilize it like this, “you let me terrorize my closet this whole time, but you brought me clothes?”

He gasped, lightly smacking the backside of Minseok’s head. Minseok only replied with a cheeky smile, shoving the outfit into the other’s hands and smacking his as he turned to strip.

Baekhyun shrieked at the contact, glaring in Minseok’s direction, “Hey! I just got comfortable changing around you, don’t make me regret it.” it was an empty threat. They both knew that, but it didn’t stop Minseok from hugging the boy, and promising to warn him next time.

They both laughed. Of course he’d never promise not to smack his anymore. That would just be a lie.

After their slight bickering, Baekhyun managed to change into the button up, and some plain skinny jeans. They both got to work, perfecting Baekhyun’s look with some light makeup, a little hairspray, and a couple rings to accentuate Baekhyun’s lovely slim fingers.

Baekhyun looked into the mirror feeling like a whole new person. Recent events had really spiked his confidence, and the knew look was aiding that as well. Minseok whistled, once again giving Baekhyun’s a light tap.

“Dude, we did so good. Like we really just turned a 10/10 into a 100.” Minseok was always heavy in the praise department, and the blush on Baekhyun’s cheeks was enough to let Minseok know that the words were appreciated.

He gently pulled Baekhyun to look at him, resting his hands on the boy’s shoulders. They did some breathing exercises, though Baekhyun insisted he was fine, but eventually gave in when he was about to walk out the door, and his heart began to race.

Baekhyun smiled to himself, as Minseok drove him to the place. His best friend knew him so well. Even though his heart still felt like it was going to beat out of his chest, he felt good. Everything felt like it was in place.

 

~

 

    Baekhyun bid farewell to Minseok, stepping out of the car into the cool nightlife. They were in a busier part of town. Many people bustled around, talking, laughing, or quietly enjoying the nice weather. Baekhyun smiled to himself, nuzzling into the light jacket he slid on before he left.

    His breathing caught in his throat when he saw Jongin. The boy looked ravishing, with his hair carefully styled and parted to the side. He wore a casual black blazer over a beige sweater, paired with some black jeans, and glasses adorning his face. He had the bottom half of his face hidden behind a fashionable black scarf, as well.

    Standing there, looking off into space, he looked flawless. He pulled down the scarf, and Baekhyun’s breathing hitched. The boy brought his head down to sniff the small bouquet of roses in his hands, his lips curling into a handsome smile. Baekhyun’s heart fluttered. Jongin really bought him flowers.

    Jongin made eye contact in that moment. Baekhyun flushed, realizing he had been standing there, only staring, not approaching his date. He hurried over to Jongin and let out and awkward laugh, “You caught me staring.” he mumbled, looking up at the other.

    Jongin’s smile brightened, as he took in the sight in front of him, “I truly am flattered, Baekhyun. I’m guessing my outfit is up to standards then?” He reveled in how flustered the smaller was. He only held back caressing his cheek, because of the flowers and his phone that occupied his hands.

    “Up to standard? You look hot! I mean...you look really handsome. I mean you look handsome and hot. I guess those things kinda go together, huh?” Baekhyun rambled slightly, wishing he had his own scarf to strangle himself with.

    “Well I’m glad you think so,” Jongin chuckled and held out the flowers, which Baekhyun took eagerly. He took in the scent of the lovely flowers, and thanked him quickly. He wasn’t good at hiding his nerves.

    “You bought me flowers? What now? Are you gonna kiss me?” Baekhyun began confidently, then sputtered at his own words, and Jongin laughed loudly. Now was certainly not the time for Baekhyun’s brain-mouth disconnect to act up, but it was too late now, and Jongin seemed amused enough. When he noticed how relaxed Jongin was he smiled, giggling slightly at his slip up.

    “I mean, normally we should wait till after the first date, but if you’re so eager,” he leaned closer to Baekhyun’s face, a slight smirk adorning his lips. Baekhyun’s eyes widened, as the boy got closer, but refused to back up. If Jongin wanted a kiss Baekhyun wasn’t gonna reject him. He might have been waiting for the chance since they met. Not that there’s any proof.

    Jongin hesitated slightly. Their lips millimeters apart, eyes locked. Jongin’s hand somehow found itself on Baekhyun’s waist, the other moving to rest on the smaller’s nape. He was joking at first, but seconds were passing, and the boy hadn’t pulled away.

    “What are you waiting for?” Baekhyun managed to mumble. He was feeling awful brave lately. A soft chuckle left Jongin’s lips. Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered shut at the feeling of Jongin’s breath fanning his lips, “I’m not stopping you.”

    Jongin pulled away. Baekhyun opened his eyes, clear disappointment in them. Jongin chuckled and gently caressed the soft skin on the boy’s cheekbones, “those breadsticks are getting cold.”

    Baekhyun pouted, hugging the flowers closer to his chest, “right. Platonic.” he mumbled softly.

    Jongin shook his head, a chuckle escaping his lips. Baekhyun felt his heart drop at the action. His heart was fluttering in his chest. He hoped, prayed even, that Jongin could return an ounce of the feelings he harbored for the boy. But he stood firm in his rejection, and Baekhyun could feel the hope simmering into dread, with each inch that Jongin placed between them.

    His gaze dropped to the flowers in his hands. What’s with him letting his expectations surmount any obtainable reality. First Chanyeol. Now Jongin. How could he think either boy was actually catching feelings. But it’s fine. Baekhyun tells himself it’s fine. Cause he still has Jongin. Jongin still cares enough, even if its not in the way he had yearned.

    “Baekhyunnie...I just...I want to...Just at the right time okay?” he puts a smile on his face at those words. They sound so reassuring. But he knows. He’s learned by now that the right time for him probably doesn’t exist, so he plasters a smile onto his face, and lets himself be led inside.

 

~

 

    They made their way into the restaurant, taking in the sights. The place really knew the meaning of “Ambiance”. The lighting was low, but were accentuated where it mattered. Candles were placed carefully amidst the walls and tables, and the rosy color of the wallpaper, complimented the golden of the light.

    They were led to their table by a well dressed host, sporting a white button up, tucked into black slacks. His tie matched the walls, adding to the surroundings screaming “expensive”.

    The two shuffled into their respective seats, Jongin pulling away the seat, and bowing jokingly. Baekhyun smiled at the gesture smacking his bicep lighting, and commenting on how uncool he was. They both laughed at the exchange, settling in and shrugging off their jackets.

    And off they were, filling their bellies with overly expensive foods and talking each other’s ears off. Smiles rarely leave their faces, as the extremely posh atmosphere is replaced by their infectious guffaws.

    The conversation dies off a bit, after Jongin relays his run in with a squirrel on his way there. The seemingly harmless creature got spooked by the boy walking past, and proceeded to throw a pinecone which just barely missed his head. He ends the story with a mumbled “Evil ers”, which gets Baekhyun shaking his head in disbelief, as laughter rumbles through him.

    Baekhyun shifts in his seat, partly cause his jeans are tight and he shouldn’t have treated himself to dessert, but also Jongin’s fond smile. Once the shock of the story had settled in, and Baekhyun’s cackle transitioned into more of a chuckle, he realized Jongin’s eyes were on him.

    The eye contact was held through most of the night, but the tenderness in his gaze, and the faint traces of a smile on his lips, felt a little more than some routine commodity. The smaller’s gaze drops to his lap. If he stares at his fingers, and not into Jongin’s eyes maybe he can ignore the way his stomach flutters under his gaze.

    It was always that way. He’d be flitting through a book, or laughing at one of Minseok’s jokes, or even just staring into space. But Jongin would always be watching. Something Baekhyun knows he’s mistaking as fondness in his gaze. Or maybe he isn’t mistaken, but it’s surely not the feelings he wants Jongin to have for him.

    He clears his throat, hoping to also clear Jongin’s of whatever misleading emotion he keeps putting behind them, but looks up to find no avail. He smiles, searching for something. Anything to say, “I had fun” Bland, boring, but not the worst thing he could have said.

    Jongin’s trance finally seems to break as he nods, returning the smile on his lips, “So much fun. We should do this more often,” Baekhyun finds his heart and his head nodding in different directions. His heart nodding eagerly at the offer, his head shaking, a somber tone overtaking his features. He won’t start dreaming again so son.

    “You did what you wanted Jongin. I understand how Chanyeol is supposed to treat me now. You don’t have to do anything else,” Jongin opens his mouth, Baekhyun hopes to refute, but the filter is mangled, and he’s lost control of his thoughts.

    “We’ll obviously still hang out and stuff, cause we’re friends, but you don’t have to do pity favors anymore. You don’t look at me that way, and that’s totally fine. Let’s just keep the hangouts to less...romantic…places. Anyways, Minseok is here to pick me up! So I gotta go, but it was fun! See you soon,” he finds his legs taking him out of the restaurant as soon as he unleashed his outburst. It was a lie. Minseok isn’t there. But Baekhyun could feel the tears building behind his eyes, and that wasn’t something he wanted Jongin to see.

    He’s such an ugly crier.

    Saved much by the bill Jongin had stressed he would pay for, and the few dollars he had for an uber, he made his way home. Rejection still tugging on his heart.

 

————

Im so sorry this took forever!!! I’m totally y at remembering to update but hopefully you guys enjoyed the chapter and if you wanna check out my twitter that would be cool!! https://twitter.com/baekiescheekies/status/924152449291599872?s=21