I See Only You

Melting

“You’re sulking again.” Jeongyeon’s voice rings from the entrance of your door. She sighs when you don’t respond, you tighten your blanket around you and turn away from her. “Nayeonie come on, at least talk to me.”


“No.” 


“You sound like a toddler, I mean yeah you already are but you’re embodying it too much this time.”


“Shut up.” You were really not in the mood to talk to anyone right now. 


You feel the bed dip and Jeongyeon speaking closer to you now. A whine breaks out and it was enough to make you turn to where the sound came from, that definitely wasn’t Jeongyeon. Now you’re face to face with Kookeu’s cute little face and your heart drops because he was sporting the saddest puppy face. 


“See? Even Kookeu’s worried about you.” Jeongyeon lets Kookeu down from her arms and into your bed which was against her own rules (dogs weren’t allowed on the bed). Kookeu paddles his way towards you with his tiny feet and starts your forehead.


“Hi Kookeu, sorry mommy’s just not feeling really well today.” You say as you play with the fur behind his ears.


“Kookeu just asked why you weren’t feeling well today, and yesterday and the other day and the day before that.” Jeongyeon interjects and you roll your eyes because of course she was the type who’d take advantage of a puppy like that.


“Oh were you now Kookeu?” You didn’t expect him to actually bark in response and Jeongyeon starts laughing at the absurd situation, it was like Kookeu definitely understood what you two were saying.


“Told you so, now answer the damn puppy Nayeon.”


“Tzuyu’s avoiding me.” That was an understatement. “Actually it’s like she literally disappeared from the face of the earth and I haven’t heard from her since our date.”


Jeongyeon raises her eyebrow. “I thought you said it wasn’t a date?”


“Well it wasn’t until she kissed me before running away.”


“She kissed you?! Why are you only telling me this now? What the Im Nayeon??”


“Lower your voice will you, it wasn’t a big deal, for her anyway I guess.”


“Have you tried contacting her?”


“Fifty-two unread messages, ten missed calls, nothing Jeong. I think that’s a clear message for me to off.”


“Ahh Nayeon, I’m so sorry.” She pats your head affectionately, it was rare for her to do this but whenever she did, it was always able to soothe you. “What about the shelter?”


“She’s also been absent for days. Sooyoung wouldn’t tell me what was up. Momo doesn’t know anything either.”


“That , I’m sorry Nayeon. I know how much you really liked her.”


“It’s okay, I’m actually more mad at myself, that I actually thought there was something between me and Tzuyu when it’s only always just been me since the beginning.”


“I don’t know why she’s avoiding you but let me just say how stupid she is for not seeing what a beautiful person you are.”


You blush because Jeongyeon never compliments you like that but you’re grateful because even though the past days were like , you still had people like her in your life. 


“But I need you start picking yourself up Nayeon. I didn’t agree to be the only one who’d take care of Kookeu.”


You scoff at her words. “Stop acting like you don’t enjoy taking care of him. But yeah, I’m sorry for the past week. I neglected both you and Kookeu.”


“I’ll forgive you as long as you start moving forward okay?”


“Okay.” You give her a smile and it didn’t feel too bright like your usual but it was enough for now. It was going to be hard to get over Tzuyu but you knew not to push if you were obviously not wanted. You sigh, doesn’t mean it won’t hurt like a though.


--


So maybe plan moving on was going to be postponed. It all started with a bouquet of pink and white Azaleas with a note attached inside. 


“Did someone actually send you flowers?” You curiously inquire with a smirk as Jeongyeon walks in holding said bouquet. They were quite beautiful if you would say so yourself, whoever gave them had great taste.


“Actually, they’re for you, says so here in the note.”


You make a dubious face because who the hell would give you flowers? “What does it say?”


“I think you should read it yourself.” She hands you the note and you read it quickly.


Azaleas,
Represents fragile passion but in a more popular sense, it’s a message asking you to take care of yourself for me. I can’t take care you right now but I’m striving to be that person who could.


That was all it read, no initial or any clue as to who could have sent it. But deep down in your gut you had a feeling of who was behind this. 


“Wow, that’s deep.” Jeongyeon says behind you peering over and reading the note.


“They’re beautiful.” You fight the urge to smile as you sniff the flowers. No way were you going to smile about something like this. Flowers won’t instantaneously fix everything.


But then another flower comes a day later. Or rather, a beautiful pot of flowers along with another note.


Geranium
This flower represents me these past days, it means stupidity. I’ve been stupid and I wanted you to know that I acknowledge it. It made me rethink if I’m even worthy of you. 


This second note hurt, not because you were offended by it, more like because the person behind this was hurting. You didn’t want that person to be down and second guessing themselves like this. Even though you completely agreed with the first sentence, the last bit made your heart clench.


If only she knew how much you second guessed yourself too. You may act confident all the time but deep down it wasn’t always like that. It was something you understood but that person didn’t have any reason to think the same way. She was everything you’d ever want, maybe except for her snarky remarks and savagery but you’d accept it all. If only she’d let you.


The third flower comes immediately the next day arranged perfectly and held together in a bouquet.


Hyacinth
Please forgive me, that’s what it means and exactly the words I want to tell you as well. I’m so sorry for being stupid, for second guessing, for all the hurt I’ve caused. 


Maybe you still haven’t forgiven her but this was the first step. The tear in your heart was starting to mend itself, little by little, it’s getting there. You’re starting to look forward to what flower comes next now.


The doorbell rings the next morning and you’re sprinting to the front door already knowing what was waiting for you. Your excitement dies once you open the door though because in front of you wasn’t the delivery boy you were expecting, it was Jeongyeon.


She seems to have noticed the change in your demeanor and starts laughing. “Were you expecting someone else Nayeon? Oh my god this is precious.”


“Shut the up Yoo. You forgot your key again didn’t you?” She tended to do that a lot even though people think she’s the more organized one between you two, wrong!


“Caught me.”


“Get in before I decide to lock you out forever.”


“Awwhh but if you do that then you won’t be able to see what I saw on the front porch this morning.”


“Give it!” You say like a child with a tantrum.


“Let me in then.” Jeongyeon wittily negotiates.


You give her a fake smile and even motion her inside. “I’m sorry, that was rude, come on in.” You say in your sweetest voice.


“Thank you, wasn’t hard was it?” She says as she walks in. “Here, I know how much you look forward to these everyday now.” She hands you a lone red flower and its usual note attached. You gently take it and gaze at the flower, it was so beautiful. One thing you noticed with all the flowers given to you was how they weren’t regular or normal. 


Whoever (yeah right we all know who’s giving these) was behind this did her research. She didn’t just give an ordinary flower, they all had a specific meanings and it was endearing seeing all this effort. That someone took the time and work to do all this for you.


Red Camellia
You’re a flame in my heart. I’m done running away from what I feel. I’m done being scared. 
This will be the last flower, for now.


For now? What did that mean? You were confused but the letter made it harder for you to think clearly. She said she wasn’t going to run away anymore. You let out a deep sigh. She’s starting to confuse you again. Sometimes you just wish she would be forward about what she means, none of this mystery.


That doesn’t stop you from putting the red flower into a vase and fill it in with water. It looks beautiful on your dining table anyway. She’s still not forgiven, for now.


--


The note was right, the next day rolled in and there was no flower waiting for you. You didn’t know what to expect. So now what? What was Tzuyu up to?


“Let’s go get ice cream.” Jeongyeon abruptly announces and Kookeu whips his head towards the tall blonde girl.


“What? Why?”


“Just because.” She says before lifting Kookeu up in her arms and exiting your room. You sigh, Jeongyeon had her authoritative voice on and you knew you couldn’t do anything about that so you just get up and head to the shower. 


You promised Jeongyeon you’d start picking yourself up but it was pretty hard to do exactly that when she brings you to the same park you and Tzuyu went to when she agreed to help train Kookeu.


“Jeongyeon? Not to sound like a but why the did you bring me here?” You ask with an ice cream cone in hand and Kookeu’s leash on the other. The flowers may have helped the heart ache you felt the past days but Tzuyu was yet to contact you so it was getting really frustrating to say the least.


“You’ll see.” She says in a cryptid way. You had no energy to fight back so you just followed your best friend around the park. 


During the walk, you noticed the tree where you and Tzuyu sat down at. It brought back memories you enjoyed back then but now it just felt like darts piercing your heart in the worst ways possible. You were going to beg Jeongyeon to go back but she abruptly stops and you try your best not to bump into her back.


“Jeong what the hell?” 


“Oh! I totally forgot I had to do something!” She attempts in her best exclaiming voice and face.


“What the, was that supposed to be acting?  We both know how bad you are at it Yoo.”


“Shut up, I have to go, see you later Nabongs!” She kisses your cheek quickly before running off and you’re stunned standing there till you realized Jeongyeon just left you in the park all by yourself. That is until Kookeu barks and oh right the puppy was still with you.


“I only have you Kookeu.” You were about to carry him until he tugs on his leash effectively pulling you into the direction he was trying to run off to. “Kookeu what are you doing?” You try to pull him back but he then starts barking and low and behold he shrugs off his collar and runs off.


“Kookeu! No! Bad dog!” You scream as you run after the tiny dog. How does he run so fast with his four tiny paws?? It was hard to keep up as he darts in between people’s legs while you, a grown up woman, has to smoothly breeze through the physical mass of bodies (more like collide into every single person in your way). 


You’re starting to lose your breath and your lungs were burning but you finally see Kookeu pausing and sitting down. “Kookeu! Stop right there!” You move forward to grab the dog before he runs away again but someone beat you to it. You pause in your tracks and watch as someone carries Kookeu.


To say that the image before you was absurd would be an understatement. That someone who carried your puppy was a person but also not because he/she was inside a brown bear mascot. What in the world is a bear mascot doing in the middle of the park? You then realize you were in the deeper areas of the park where people usually didn’t frequent. The lack of people was starting to scare you but you slowly approach the giant bear instead. He/she still had your puppy so.


The mascot didn’t move nor flinch as you approached cautiously. “Uh hi? Can I get my dog?”


The bear actually nods with its big head and hands you Kookeu. You take him back slowly still eyeing the mascot. Your hands brush with the bear’s clothed ones and for some reason you felt a shot of electricity. You would have thought it was static electricity till you realize it was a familiar sensation. Something only one person in the world was able to ignite within you.


You knew the person inside the mascot, you weren’t sure but your heart seemed to know. The bear then turns around and bends down to pick up a stack of boards on the ground and faces you again. It was holding up one sign and your heart rate starts to speed up once you realize there was a message on the board.


I’m sorry.


That was all it read but that was enough for you to guess who was behind the giant bear head now. You realize why Kookeu ran off and wasn’t barking at the unfamiliar person who held him because inside was definitely not a stranger.


“T-tzuyu?”


The bear mascot looked hesitant but nodded its head anyway. For some reason you could imagine Tzuyu’s flustered face inside and it made your heart squeeze tighter.


“Wh-what are you doing here?” You ask still confused about what was currently happening.


Instead of answering, Tzuyu switches the boards now with another message written on it.


I didn’t mean to ignore you like that.


You couldn’t help but scoff, suddenly . “Really Tzuyu? Are you sure?” Your voice trembled but you said it anyway. The past days were just really filled with pain no matter how much you tried to cheer yourself up. That was something you prided yourself with, staying happy even though things were bringing you down. So it was a first for you to feel this deflated and all because of a single girl.


Tzuyu just shows the next message anyway.


I’m an idiot.


“We’ve already established that.” You your eyebrow but she switches to the next board still without talking.


Can we start over?


You think that was the last message board as she stopped moving and stayed on her spot. You’re stunned because a) you weren’t expecting Tzuyu to surprise you like this, b) you realized how much you missed her. Honestly who were you kidding, you were mad at her sure, but the hole that she left in your chest was impossible to fill up until now. 


The question still lingered in the air but none of you dared to move until Kookeu barks up at you. You both jump at the sudden noise in the middle of the quiet park. You look at Kookeu and decide to ask him what to do instead. 


“Do you think I should forgive her? What do you think Kookeu?”


Tzuyu then starts coughing uncontrollably and you hold back your laughter because she was probably confused as to why you were asking a dog for advice. But then Kookeu barks again, his head was tilted to the side as if telling you ‘Don’t ask me, it’s your life.’


You sigh but take a step towards Tzuyu instead. She flinches but doesn’t move back. You reach out to the bear mask with your other hand that wasn’t carrying Kookeu.


“You really are an idiot.” You gently run your thumb across the bear’s big cheeks. “But so am I.” You hand Tzuyu the puppy and she awkwardly carries Kookeu. She was obviously nervous because she held Kookeu the same way you first held him, unsure.


You look into the bear’s big eyes then reach both hands to remove the mask. You weren’t ready to see Tzuyu’s beautiful face again after a week of not seeing her but there she was, milk chocolate skin and big round eyes. How was she still so gorgeous even with her hair sticking out? It was unfair honestly, but she couldn’t look at you at all and her head was dropped.


“Look at me.” You order, she snaps her head up probably not used to you being so commanding. “I’m going to forgive you.” Her face lights up then, her eyes growing bigger at your words. “But-“ You continue. “You have to make it up to me.”


Tzuyu just looks at you sternly and you have to gulp because you’ve never seen her this serious. “I-I’m really sorry unnie.”


Unnie


She called you unnie, not sunbaenim. You had to recollect your thoughts because that simple word somehow shook your world. 


“Unnie? Are you okay?” Tzuyu looks at you so worriedly.


“ASJAHJKWDH.” 


“How did you turn a keyboard smash into real sounds?” She looks at you skeptically and yeap, there’s the Tzuyu you know.


You roll your eyes. “Don’t go snarky on me again when I still haven’t fully forgiven you. I’m still mad you know.”


She bites her lip then and you had to force yourself to stop staring at her lips. “What can I do to make it up to you?”


“A lot.” You tell her mysteriously. “But.” You look at her intensely, making sure she sees the strength of your emotions right now. “I know where you can start.”


“Tell me what to do unnie.”


“Kiss me.”


And she does, without a second of hesitation, she moves forward and captures your lips. It wasn’t a simple peck just like the first time, no, this was completely different. It also felt different, like Tzuyu was trying to convey everything she couldn’t say out loud through a kiss.


“Don’t run away this time.” You say in between kisses.


“I won’t.” 


You move your lips in tune with her rhythm and yeah, this was probably how perfection felt like. In that moment, you were sure that you wanted to keep doing this. Tzuyu was making up for all the time she ignored you with her actions. You feel bold and bite her lower lip. You would have gone further till Kookeu starts barking in between your bodies.


Even though it was physically painful, you two parted and gave Kookeu space because oh right Tzuyu was still carrying him. You look back down and see Kookeu weirdly giving a disapproving look as his eyebrows scrunch but you end up laughing because how was your dog this expressive?


Tzuyu looks at what you were laughing at and laughs along. “Sorry about that Kookeu.” She says and pats his head. “I had to win your mom back.”


You roll your eyes again. “You still have a long way to go babe.” Tzuyu smirks at your term of endearment and you cover your mouth at the slip but don’t take it back. She wins for now. 


“Don’t worry, I’m willing to do everything to get you back.” She tells you sincerely.


"You better."

 

-

tbc