Just For Me?

The Perfect Surprise

Solar was pissed off.

 

Her day wasn’t going well to begin with, and it’s not about to get any better being in this stupid store with this stupid woman.

 

“Listen, I don’t think you understand,” She pinched her nose and looked up at the service lady, who had the audacity to cross her arms and stand there with an annoyed look on her face. “You can’t just say things like that about other customers right in front of them, it’s just not right.”

 

“I think I’m allowed to express my opinions,” the lady shot back, no sign of being apologetic whatsoever, despite having just loudly bad mouthed Solar’s fashion sense as she was trying on an outfit in the change room. “Why, are you offended?”

 

“Uh, yes?” Solar couldn’t believe what she was hearing. The service lady was being rude for no reason, but is making Solar look bad for reacting poorly to a comment that was inappropriate to begin with. “How can you go around saying rude things about customers in your store that are trying to buy your clothes?”

 

“Like I said, I’m just expressing my opinion,” the lady still looked irritated and went back to fixing up the clothes on the hanger. “I didn’t think you would be able to hear me anyway.”

 

Solar nearly threw fists. She was exasperated at this lady’s attitude, and she was about to lose her temper completely.

 

“Are you joking? That is an open top change room and you were standing right outside the door, how could I possibly not hear you-”

 

“Solar?”

 

Solar stopped mid-sentence as she whipped her head around upon hearing the familiar voice.

 

“What’s going on here?” Byul inquired as she moved down the aisle to where Solar and the lady were standing, eyes darting back and forth between them.

 

“Oh, how come you are here?” Solar panicked slightly and fumbled to throw her hand that was raised to point at the change room behind her back, attempting to hide the piece of clothing she was holding. Byul raised an eyebrow at her, then settled her gaze on the service lady that was continuing to arrange the clothing, totally unbothered.

 

“I overheard most of the conversation but I wanted to be sure of the situation before I step in,” Byul carefully started. The lady looked up and scanned Byul up and down, before returning to her work.

 

“Who said you can step in? This is none of your business.” The lady said, nonchalantly.

 

Solar snapped. She whipped her head back around, narrowed her eyes at the lady, and took two steps forward. She was full on ready to pounce until she felt someone grab her by the shoulders, gently but firmly. In a swift move, Byul was in her view, blocking her from advancing any further.

 

“Solar, let’s talk outside,” Byul said. Her tone was soft, but authoritative at the same time. “We can’t make a scene in here.”

 

Solar took a deep breath and looked away from Byul and scoffed. She was up to here with the entire situation and she was not ready to back down to someone that was at fault from the start.

 

“I didn't do anything wrong-” Solar began to protest.

 

“Yes, yes I understand that,” Byul held onto both of her shoulders and looked into her eyes, her voice low. “And I completely agree with you. Okay? But let’s just walk away for now.”

 

“I just-” Solar wasn't going to budge. “No, she can’t be like this to me. Or to anyone, as a matter of fact.”

 

“I know, I know, I know Solar,” Byul wasn't letting go either, “I think she is at fault too. You are right, you are totally right.” Byul glanced around quickly as she continued in her totally reasonable and mesmerizing voice. “But we really can’t do this here. People are watching. Let’s just be the bigger person here and drop this, okay?”

 

Solar stopped struggling in Byul’s hold and slowly looked around carefully. People were throwing glances their way, and Solar knew she isn't exactly the quietest person when she is worked up. If the whole store hadn't heard their conversation earlier, they must have by now. Though, it did irritate Solar that no one decided to step up to defend her.

 

“I thought you said you wanted to be sure of the situation before you took sides.” The lady spoke up again, almost mockingly and directly at Byul. She then turned slightly towards Solar. “Can you please leave? This is a store, and you are being rather loud.”

 

Solar turned bright red and Byul had to hold on just a little tighter. Byul looked down at the floor and closed her eyes. Her patience had a limit too.

 

“First of all,” Byul finally decided to retaliate and she let go of Solar and turned to face the lady, “A customer of yours feels hurt about what you said to her, right?”

 

The lady didn't respond right away.

 

“I don't think you should greet every customer around here with this kind of attitude. They will feel unwelcomed and uncomfortable in this atmosphere. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were in her shoes instead?”

 

Byul spoke calmly, but there was a hint of harshness in her tone that made it difficult to respond to her without giving thought first. The way Byul took complete control of the situation left Solar in total awe, and she can only stare at Byul’s back in admiration.

 

The lady nodded slowly. “I was just being honest…”

 

“Well, seems like we have different opinions. I think she looks stunning.” Solar blushed furiously upon hearing Byul say this, and her face was red again.

 

“We will take our leave now. Thank you for your time, it’s unfortunate things ended this way.” Byul tugged at Solar’s wrist slightly and she started for the door, signalling for Solar to follow her. Solar opened to protest, but Byul gave her a stern look, and Solar looked down immediately.

 

Byul didn't wait for the lady to respond. She wasn't interested in the response anyway. Solar silently followed Byul out of the store. She made sure to drop off the piece of clothing she had been clutching in her hand on a nearby table, before rushing up beside Byul and holding onto her arm tightly as they continued walking.

 


 

 

“I saw what you were trying on,” Byul commented as they roamed the streets of the shopping district in downtown Seoul, “I got a brief look at it, it was a cute dress. Too bad the clerk was a jerk.”

 

Solar laughed. “I’m never going back there again! I’ll find something better.”

 

Byul glanced at Solar and gently tugged at their intertwined hands. “I’m taking you somewhere. You deserve something good after that whole episode.” Solar nodded and smiled.

 

“You didn't tell me you were shopping today. I thought you were going out with your friends. I could have driven you, you know.”

 

Solar flushed red slightly. “Well I was… Truthfully, I wanted to buy a new outfit for our next date. You once mentioned you liked a certain dress, and I wanted to surprise you. You know… To congratulate you on your managerial promotion for work...”

 

Byul stopped walking and turned to Solar, her soft gaze settled on Solar’s distinct facial features (which Byul thought were the most beautiful in the world). “...And after doing some research, it seemed that only that store had it.... Around here anyway” Solar finished and was now staring back at Byul shyly.

 

“So you came all the way here by yourself just so you can give me a surprise?” Byul was touched, and her heart swelled at how adorable Solar was when she nodded and smiled, dimples deepening paired with those squishable cheeks.

 

Byul couldn’t help but wrap her arms around Solar’s slender figure. “Thank you… For being thoughtful. But you don't need to try to impress me, you've already got me.”

 

Solar giggled at the cheesiness, and melted into the hug. One of her favourite places to be was in Byul’s arms, and she was enjoying every moment of it.

 

“What were you doing here anyway?” Solar inquired as they broke the hug and continued walking, hands never leaving each other.

 

“I thought I’d drop by my cousin’s bakery today. It’s close to here. I’m taking you there right now, actually," Byul glanced over at Solar and smiled.

"As for randomly showing up back there, I totally ran into you by chance. The store was on my way there and… Your voice isn't exactly the quietest.”

 

Solar blushed. “Alright alright, I get it. I’m loud.”

 

Byul threw her a questionable look and an eyebrow raise, and Solar caught it. “Stop it Byul. We're in public.” Solar slapped Byul’s arm lightly and Byul laughed.

 

“Say…” Byul suddenly stopped in her tracks again and fixed her gaze on something on the side of the street. “Maybe you were looking for a surprise in the wrong store…” Solar followed Byul’s eyes and immediately turned beet red. She proceeded to slap Byul harder on the shoulder and chased after her as Byul ran down the street, laughing. “MOON BYULYI I SWEAR-”

 

It was a lingerie shop.