One by One

One by One

 

   You leaned back on your hands as you sat with your legs crossed. You were sitting on the fountain in the middle of town hall, waiting for Taemin. Always waiting for Taemin, not the other way around, you realized, chuckling a bit. 

 

   You ran a hand through your short black hair and looked up to the artificial sky. The game creators did a good job, you thought, the sky looked so realistic that you could forget you were actually playing in a virtual world.  

 

   A sudden flash of bright blue light to your left caught your attention. You turned your head to stare at it until it faded into the shape of a boy. A very familiar one with a flop of black hair atop his head. You

smiled and quickly stood up, walking up behind the guy. 

 

"Yo, Tae." You called, catching his attention. Taemin turned and smiled brightly at you.

 

"Sup. Didn't keep you waiting long did I?" You grinned and poked his nose.

 

"I was here so long I think my hair is starting to turn gray."  Taemin lifted a chunk of your hair with his fingers and inspected it with fake seriousness. 

 

"I think your hair is already gray. It's called stress, noona." You smacked his hand away and he smirked down at you. 

 

"Don't call me that, I'm not even that much older than you." You turned and started walking in the opposite direction. Taemin caught up to you and you walked side by side to the Game Center. 

 

"You ready to play some Hunger Games?" Taemin asked.

 

"Totally. Can't wait to chop some people up." 

 

   You and Taemin were some of the best and most famous players of the Hunger Games. You were better known by your gamer tags, "RedRum" and "LostAce." 

 

   Since you usually played together 

as a team, some people even started referring to you as "RedAce."

 

   You had been playing Hunger Games and SAO for a long time and you built up your skills together, earning attention from less skilled players. 

 

   You made it to the lobby of the Game Center and walked over to the Hunger Games section. There were many other mini games within the game you could play, but the most popular was the Hunger Games. 

 

   The mini game offered many different maps and terrains to play on and you and Taemin searched for one to play. You finally settled on a map called "The Forest of Dreams," a grassy, forest biome with pretty good loot.

 

"Let's put on our earpieces' on first though." You reminded Taemin.

 

"Right." You swiped you right hand to reveal the player's menu. You opened the items tab and clicked on the earpiece, the small object appearing in your left hand moments later. 

 

   You synced them together and put them in your ear, checking that they worked before both of you clicked the "Start Game" button at the same time.

 

 

   You suddenly appeared on a small platform in a large arena. There was a circle of platforms around a centerpiece that was flooded with chests. Crafters stood in the middle gazing blankly around them, waiting for someone to assist. Crafters were npc's that you could give items to and they would craft something for you. 

 

   Taemin was on a platform to your right. Other than you, there were probably about ten other people there. Twelve others popped in within the next few moments and you took the time to glance around and size up you opponents. Half of them were girls, you noticed. 

 

   You spotted four familiar faces. 

Jonghyun, Jinki, Kibum, and Minho. They were all mutual friends from your school. They were all pretty good at Hunger Games as well, but you didn't consider them as much of threat since you were friends. 

 

   The other girls looked fairly easy to take on. Although, two of them in particular looked like they meant business. Their gamer tags were "Lalisa97," and "WhistleLikeAMissle." Interesting. 

 

   The guys weren't much better. Other than Taemin and your friends, only about two looked like they might be a threat. They called themselves "ChristianChimChim," and "KookieMonster." 

 

   They were both equally muscular but the ChimChim guy was hard to try and predict since he had a baby face. Just then the two glanced at each other and smirked. You turned to Taemin.

 

"See those two? I think they might team. They look pretty good so we need to watch out." Taemin looked at where you pointed and he nodded. 

 

"Got it. So are we heading to spawn or are we gonna book it?" You looked around a bit longer before responding.

 

"Let's try our luck at spawn. But don't stay too long, we don't want to die early on." You quieted down as the timer for the game started. 

 

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

Start!

 

   You sprinted to the center with most of the other players, although some ran the other way, not wanting to risk it. You quickly opened a chest and grabbed everything you could before you turned and ran, glancing back to see Taemin chasing after you, also carrying random stuff in his arms. 

 

   You ran into the forest and didn't stop until you were sure you were safe. You slowed down to inspect you winnings. Just then you heard three canons go off, one after the other. Three players died. You used your right hand to open up the death list and read through it. 

 

TaeTae95 killed by KookieMonster

 

JoyToTheWorld killed by KookieMonster

 

YeriBerry killed by ChristianChimChim

 

You turned to Taemin. 

"See? Told you they'd be trouble." Taemin rolled his eyes and looked down at his items, you did the same. You had managed to pick up a stone sword, a piece of bread, and a leather chest plate. 

 

"Good for a start." You muttered to yourself.

 

   You took off your black backpack, every player started off with an empty one, and pulled the leather chest plate over your head. You shoved the bread into your bag and pulled it over your shoulders, situating the sword strap around your waist and looking up at Taemin. He had a little gold helmet on and he a stone sword around his waist.

 

"We're pretty set." You commented. Taemin looked at your getup and smirked.

 

"Sweet. Now let's go look for some more stuff."

 

   You wandered through the forest for a few minutes before you came across a small, wooden house. You walked in cautiously and relaxed once you made sure it was empty. You spotted a chest in the corner of the upstairs room and opened it. 

A canon went off.

 

JinxKnockOnWood killed by PrinceJin

 

   Moments later a second canon went off.

 

PrinceJin killed by Dinohyun

 

   You grabbed the food from the chest and went back down the stairs.

 

"Dude, Jinki's dead." You announced to Taemin, putting some carrots in your bag but keeping the apple out. He nodded sadly.

 

"I saw. At least Jjong avenged his death." You fake sniffled and kissed three fingers, holding them up in hopes that Jinki saw from the little waiting room fallen tributes were teleported to after they died. You had a moment of silence before laughing and exiting the house. 

 

   You munched on the apple as you went through the forest again. You walked for minutes in comfortable silence when Taemin spoke up.

 

"We should split up and cover more ground." You nodded and threw your apple core on the ground, the digital food evaporating as it hit the grass.

 

"Good idea. I'll go left and you go right. Don't die." You said as you turned and jogged to the left. 

 

   After a minute, you came across a gas station. You slowed down as you approached the building. You slowly pulled your sword out of its hilt and opened the door. You walked inside quietly, peering around every corner and listening for any signs of life. 

 

   You were about to let your guard down when you heard a slight shuffling noise behind you. You slowed even more but didn't turn around. The noise drew closer and you whipped around, swinging your sword, which sliced against another. 

 

   You sized up your opponent, deeming him an easy win. He was only about an inch or two taller than you, very skinny and with only a wood sword and no armor. 

 

   You  came closer and slashed at him again. The male blocked it but you were fast and you swung again, cutting him down his chest and stomach in a quick swipe. The guy evaporated in front of your eyes and a canon sounded in the distance.

 

SugaAndSpice killed by RedRum

 

    Suddenly a shout was heard behind you and you turned. A taller man was standing there, glaring at you furiously. You assumed he was friends with the guy you just killed and you smirked at him. 

 

   He pulled out his own stone sword and charged at you. He didn't have a chance as you stabbed your sword into his stomach. Another canon.

 

AngelJhope killed by RedRum 

 

You heard Taemin in your ear.

"Nice." Was all he said. You slipped your sword back into its hilt and smiled.

 

"Thanks." You leaned down to inspect the items that the pair dropped. Most of it was useless, but you did find a piece of iron, which you shoved into your back pack. Suddenly you heard commotion going on in your earpiece. 

 

   You stayed quiet as you listened to clashing swords and heavy panting. 

 

AlmightyKey killed by LostAce

 

Your eyebrows rose at the name tag.

"Tae, are you-"

 

Dibidibidis killed by LostAce

 

   There was silence as Taemin caught his breath. You had stopped outside of the gas station once you saw who Taemin was fighting. 

 

"Dude, did you just kill Kibum and Minho?" Suprised that he had killed your friends so early on in the game. There was a pause before Taemin answered.

 

"They called me ugly." He said simply. There was another pause before you snorted and shook your head.

 

"You're unbelievable." You breathed as you started walking again.

 

"We need to kill six more people before death match." You said as you scrolled through the death list. 

 

"Easy. Hey, let's kill these guys that I saw earlier, they looked kinda weak." Taemin suggested and you raised you eyebrows.

 

"Who?" You asked.

 

"These people called 'RedRum' and 'LostAce'. Even their names are dumb." You stifled a chuckle as you looked around for actual people to kill. 

 

"Hmm, maybe you're on to something." Taemin laughed and you both went quiet again. A canon.

 

Dancemonster fell off cliff

 

"Same." You laughed as you walked quietly through the forest. 

 

   A sudden shove sent you tumbling forward. You caught yourself before you fell flat in your face and snapped your head back to see who attacked you. 

 

   A girl, around your age but maybe a bit older, was standing over you. You swallowed and reached for your sword but your stomach dropped when you couldn't find it. 

 

   The girl came up to you with a small knife and straddled you.

 

"You killed him." The girl growled as you tried to think of a way to get out of this.

 

"Who are you talking about?" You grunted as you shifted under the girl. 

 

"Hobi! You killed my boyfriend!" She shouted. You struggled under her as she squeezed you tighter with her legs. 

 

   You gained your senses back and leaned forward quickly, pushing the girl's shoulders, catching her off guard. 

 

   You pinned the girl down and grabbed the wrist that held the knife. The girl put up a good fight, but you were able to take the knife and stab it into the girl's chest. A canon was heard as the girl evaporated.

 

SunnyD killed by RedRum

 

   You ran a hand through your hair and sat up, catching your breath. 

"You good?" Taemin asked through the earpiece. You nodded even though he couldn't see you.

 

"Yea, yea. People are crazy these days." You mumbled and Taemin chuckled. You looked up when you heard a canon.

 

Jichu03 killed by ChristianChimChim

 

You looked at the death list again.

 

"Four more." You commented. You heard Taemin start to pant and you assumed he was running.

 

"Make that three." He said as he ran. There was a sudden shout of suprise from Taemin's end and a canon soon followed.

 

WendysBurgers killed by LostAce

 

   You smiled as you stood and dusted yourself off.

 

"You're really going for it aren't you?" You commented as you gathered your things and sorted through the other girl's items. You found another piece of iron and you smirked.  

 

"Meet at spawn." You said as you fixed the backpack on your shoulders and set off towards the middle of the map. You started sprinting and it didn't take long for you to reach spawn.

 

   Moments later you saw Taemin approaching from the forest. You smiled and walked up to greet him when you spotted something moving behind him.

 

   You pulled out the knife that you stole from the other girl and threw it at something to the left of Taemin. He spun around just as the knife hit a girl's chest and she fell, evaporating moments later. A canon was heard.

 

SeulgiBear killed by RedRum

 

   Taemin turned back with a suprised smirk.

 

"Nice one." You nodded and walked to the center. You grabbed the iron and the stick from your bag as Taemin looked through the chests. 

 

   You gave the Crafter your items and they handed back an iron sword moments later. You smiled and slid the sword into its hilt. You turned to Taemin who was stuffing his face with a piece of chicken. You rolled your eyes at him. Just then you heard two canons go off, only about thirty seconds apart.

 

PastaRose killed by WhistleLikeAMissile

 

DJTaengoo killed by WhistleLikeAMissile

 

    You and Taemin exchanged a knowing glance that said, look out for her. 

 

"That's all we need." You said as the notification popped up in both of your line of vision.

 

Death Match begins in 30 seconds

 

   You looked through your backpack and discarded anything you wouldn't need for the final battle. Taemin was doing the same next to you. 

 

20 seconds until Death Match

 

   You munched on a cookie you didn't know you had to boost your health. 

 

10 seconds until Death Match

 

   You turned to Taemin and formed a plan. You would hang off until some of the other players killed each other off. Then you would swoop in and take out the remaining. 

 

5

4

3

2

1

Death Match has started!

 

   The players were teleported to a different spot around the center of the map. You and Taemin backed into the forest and hide while the other players slaughtered each other.

 

WhistleLikeAMissile killed by Dinohyun

 

Beachu91 killed by Lalisa97 

 

Dinohyun killed by Lalisa97 

 

   With the only three other players in the game, you and Taemin came out of hiding.

 

Lalisa97 killed by KookieMonster

 

   It was finally time for the two power groups of the game to clash. You took the one with the baby face while Taemin took on the other. It was quiet in the arena except for the sound of clashing swords and loud breathing. 

 

   The ChimChim guy swung at your head, but you quickly moved, his sword just missing your neck. You moved closer and kicked at his knee, making him wince and stumble back in pain. You took the opportunity to slash at his chest but he ducked and you missed.

 

KookieMonster killed by LostAce

 

   The canon distracted your opponent and you used that to your advantage, pushing your sword into his chest. He evaporated and you turned to her partner.  

 

ChristianChimChim killed by RedRum

 

   Taemin was picking himself up off the ground and he stretched a bit. You let your sword drag on the ground a bit as you looked at him.

 

"And then there were two." Taemin said as he caught your eyes. You threw your iron sword down removed your leather chest plate to even out the odds. 

 

"Let me try a new move on you." You suggested as Taemin took his helmet off. 

 

"You gonna shove a firework up my ?" He joked. You scoffed and rolled your eyes.

 

"No, it's a fighting move. It seems kinda vicious but it looked cool in my head." You shrugged and Taemin mirrored the action.

 

"Sure, whatever." You put down your iron sword and grabbed a stone one so that you and Taemin had the same chance to win. You rolled your shoulders and you two stared each other down before Taemin stalked toward you, looking at you as if you were his prey. 

 

   He swung first, aiming for your leg in an attempt to disable you. You quickly sidestepped the attack and kicked at the back of his knee, sending him to the ground. You let him get up and he playfully glared at you. You faced each other again and this time, you made the first move.

 

   You swung at his feet but he jumped back. You slashed quickly at his arms, in which he spun with his dance skills and pranced out of the way. The next time, you both swung. 

 

   Your swords connected and recoiled back. You both recovered and swung again. This time, you recovered quicker and you swung before Taemin had time to react. 

 

   You knocked his sword to the ground and kicked it away. You quickly came to his side and grabbed his hair, pulling his head back and exposing his neck. 

 

   Taemin closed his eyes in defeat as you held him in place. You kissed his temple before slicing his throat with your sword, killing him instantly. 

 

LostAce killed by RedRum

 

   Big, bright letters flashed in front of your face and fireworks went off in the arena.

 

Congratulations! You won!

 

   You were teleported to the waiting room with the rest of the players. Some congratulated you on your win, while others looked on in jealousy. You quickly found your friend group. 

 

   You walked up to your five friends and they all smiled at you.

 

"Congrats, Y/N." Jonghyun said. You smiled and he pat your head. Suddenly Kibum yelled at Taemin.

 

"Yah! Why did you kill us?" Taemin smiled slyly and folded his arms.

 

"You called me ugly." Minho snorted and hit the back of the younger man's head. Taemin made a hurt noise and rubbed his head.

 

"Hey man, my head still hurts from when Y/N pulled my hair." He said, glancing at you.

 

"Speaking of, that was a good move. Where'd you learn it?" Jinki asked. You shrugged as they all looked at you.

 

"No where, I just thought of it, I guess." There was a pause.

 

"That's ." Jonghyun mumbled. Kibum and Minho burst out laughing and you narrowed your eyes at them. 

 

"Yea, whatever. Cooler than anything you could ever think of." You turned around and walked away. A hand caught your wrist and dragged you back. 

 

"We were just kidding." Kibum said and you flicked his nose. He growled and you ran away, Kibum following in pursuit. 

 

 

End!

:)

Hope you enjoyed!