Anachronistic

Expand your Vocabulary with me ~ SAT/ACT prep

anachronistic

Something that's old-fashioned and maybe a little out of place is anachronistic, like a clunky black rotary-dial telephone sitting on a desk beside a sleek new smart-phone (or whatever the new technology is when you read this).

The adjective anachronistic comes from the Greek words ana, or "against", and khronos, or "time." It usually refers to something old-fashioned or antique, but it can also mean anything that blatantly clashes with the time in which it is seen. Imagine watching a movie that takes place in the 1700s and seeing one of the characters pull out a cell phone. Any phone, in the context of the movie's time period, would be anachronistic.

 

adj

chronologically misplaced
          “English public schools are anachronistic”
Synonyms:
           anachronic, anachronous
asynchronous
           not synchronous; not occurring or existing at the same time or having the same period or phase

 

 

 

It might seem anachronistic to apply the Ku Klux Klan Act to this thoroughly modern form of voter intimidation.
SlateApr 12, 2018


It’s also true that there is a dimension to our life that is like the Green Acres theme song, except a lot less glib and with less of the anachronistic gender attitudes.
SlateApr 2, 2018


His world view is too anachronistic as is that of his foreign minister.
New York TimesMar 28, 2018


He urges policymakers to focus on domesticating nationalism rather than attempting to sideline it as an anachronistic relic.
EconomistMar 14, 2018

 

SOURCE: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/anachronistic