Years

Ephemeral Crown: Revelation

Compare to Jangmun Jineul is hardly a sedentary individual, but there she is comfy and settled across him gobbling down the bowl of freshly picked strawberries akin to a starved child.

And except when the man goes to the tavern alone he is unfailingly found at the farthest table from Jinah’s working counter. The reason it panned out that way was due to a conversation countless nights ago. Although it was a warm summer night, that night, the human discloses the forbidden romance between her werewolf boss Sungjong and wendigo Jineul.

Although he was pleased to discover he wasn’t the only one who sees the other races as more than appetizers - Jineul’s hubris in their kind makes her a formidable ally. She must never know where he personally stands.

Though she busily munches the berries down, she managed to mutter what was on her mind, “Did J-Lite send you his greetings as well?”

Understanding her implication takes a no-brainer. He nods even when she never spared him anything more than a glimpse. Steadily, he notices a smirk on her face before she says, “Just a little, I feel bad for the other teams a little. We will definitely win and rule this time,” Jangmun has no idea where her confidence stems from when even Dohwan states that the chances of them winning is less than point one percent. While he isn’t itching enough to ask, he wants her to show her hand.

Naturally, he assumes it had to do with J-Lite’s offer to her. The leader of their kind, most likely, promised her something. Unless J-Lite has a plan up his sleeves that would turn the tables and give Wendigos their very first win. To say the least, after the 65th game, it would only make sense for their leader to have cooked up a clever ruse.

Jangmun breaks his own train of thoughts when he notices Jineul has stopped ingesting. She seems to be searching - scouring for a missing object or person that belonged to her with those sharp, deadly eyes of hers. In less than a second, he knew exactly who is responsible for the disconcert look she dons.

It is clear as daylight that the tankard owner is out on an errand run because then the werewolves, a table over, wouldn’t be louder and rowdier by the minute.

However, once an individual joins them at the table by sliding into the empty chair beside Jangmun, the werewolves-even-in-human-form growls and yelps were drown out.

“I’m starting to fathom why J-Lite is growing impatient by the second. The areas you freelancers frequent at aren’t exactly trustworthy,” it is Dohwan and he wears an even wider smile as he hooks an arm around Jangmun’s broad shoulders. “I know why this kid,” he his head towards Jangmun, “is here but what is someone like you, Sin Jineul, doing here?”

The woman simply treats his question as rhetorical and bluntly lies, “Keeping an eye out for my next meal,”

Her response, however, garners a solemn raise of the brow from the expressive Wendigo, “Really? Since when are wet dogs appealing? Unless it’s elves or human meat? If that's so then it looks like you're out of luck. That elf couple over there and human girl are employed here. It will be impossible to enter the game with the law latching on to you,”

It didn't take long for Jangmun and Dohwan to see the annoyance Jineul’s face. Without a word she got up and left. Meanwhile, Jangmun eye the half-empty bowl, Dohwan snickers. “At last she’s gone. Can we talk about you again?” The quiet one remain immobile as the other sighs, “So? You know it’s my responsibility to report your answer to J-Lite, right? You’re not off the hook just yet,”

From the mortar to the wooden counter, he watches Jinah wipes down the tankards with a pristine white rag. Her gold locks were twisted and resting on her right chest - exposing her pale and seductive neckline. While Dohwan stares him down, Jangmun is more interested in going over and untwisting Jinah’s hair. The woman is already an undeniable beautiful lady but Jangmun is perturbed when she exposes more her skin. If any wendigo targets her, Jangmun will have a lot of explaining to do and he would rather avoid confrontation - whether with the authorities or his own kind - at all cost.

Finally, Jangmun snaps out of it when a large hand passes by his line of vision. “Hey, did you hear me?” Smart as Dohwan, Jangmun isn’t surprised when it took the other less than a heartbeat to figure it out. “Are you worried you won’t make it back to her or are you worried she might join you in the battle of death?”

Aware that his gaze is doing most of the talking - Jangmun diverts his attention from Jinah. Softly he mumbles, enough for Dohwan to make out, “She doesn’t need to know,”

“About J-Lite’s invitation or you joining?” Dohwan asks for clarification reason.

But when his answer came, Dohwan’s jaw drop in disappointment and hopefulness, “Both,”

Abruptly, Jangmun’s shoulders were arrested by Dohwan’s hands and they were face-to-face a moment later, “Does that mean you’re going to join?”

A nod from Jangmun extended the silence circulating them.

Dohwan thought that he would jump up and down with joy once Jangmun agrees to participate in the game, however, the feeling was unsatisfactory. Three years from now, Jangmun will either leave the battlefield dead or devastated. And those vivid options didn’t sit well with Dohwan. It aches him to recall that they have been friends ever since Jangmun’s guardian and head of the house was his grandfather shortly after the death of Jangmun’s parents - nearly two decades ago.

From time to time, Jangmun will express his disappointments in the game and how his parents’ lives were the endgame of his grandfather’s good health. Jangmun didn’t only loathe the competition. He hated the Wendigos that constantly blamed his parents for losing.

After what feels like forever, Dohwan muster up the courage to ask, “Will you be okay?”

The one being questioned smile blankly.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

When the last customer left the building the elf couple Dohwan had mentioned before, Jung Hoseok and Yoon Chiyeon, hurry out the door as well. Jinah is then left alone to clean and lock up the place. The human heft an exhausting sigh before she fishes for the key in her apron. Striding over to the only door, she was ready to firmly turned the key in the lock when the door is open from the outside. Taking a safe step back in surprise, she is relieved to find it was only Jangmun. On some nights her last visitors were of the cannibals kind.

The man departed earlier when he went to send off his friend. As Jangmun tries to enter quietly, Jinah didn’t give him a break to breathe. “I thought you’ve gone home,” when he didn’t answer and instead walk over to take his seat behind the counter, the woman scoffs a breathy smile before making sure the door was locked behind him. “Want a drink? I’ll fix you something quick—”

“Jinah,” when he called her name, she freezes before her hand touched the glass cup. His tone was low and serious, something she was used to hearing but not enough to calm her nerves.

“Yes?”

When her eyes are fixed on him, she notices he isn’t looking at her. Instead, his gaze is strictly on the gun, Lavita, in his hand before him. “Don’t you miss your parents?”

Little did he know, Jinah can read him like a book. “I do but as you know they serve King R.O.P. and resides in the kingdom so it’s difficult to freely pay them visits,”

“What if I bring them to you?”

Jinah shakes her head, “That’d mean you’ve had your heart set on partaking in the next game. Only contenders who have no relations with the residents are permitted to visit the kingdom per tour requests. Wendigos, specifically, is required to need more than just a touring reason to enter the King’s home. That is, only joining the game can grant you that pass,”

Jangmun isn’t bombshell that Jinah knew what was on his mind. In addition to her being exceptionally good at reading him, she is after all the tavern’s bartendress. Gossips and news are inescapable once people start talking.

When he thought she was done speaking for him, in a disappointed voice the woman adds, “Before we started dating, you promised you wouldn’t upset me by concealing important matters,”

Jangmun swallowed when she moved to stand directly across from him. Slowly, he senses her leaning over the counter and feels her warm hands cup his cheeks. As her skin Alternatively he wants to embrace her.presses against him, the scent of her irony yet sweet blood was prominent. But unlike other humans he comes into contact with, the urge to want to drain her of her blood and taste her flesh doesn’t entice him.

Steadily she brings his face skyward until their gazes lock. There he sees a small smile drawn on her face as she says, “If you don’t want to upset me any longer then let me help you. Let me protect you in the game, Jangmun,”

He didn’t reply but slowly reaches over and caresses his woman’s pink cheek. And unbeknownst to him the benevolent smile on her face gradually melts away he fears and concerns he had; the game’s outcome will no longer petrify him.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Even with the sun absent, the moon accommodated the night perfectly. It was bright - though not as luminous as the stars - it lit the route to Jinah’s place well. The road is narrow due to housing, walls, and fencing necessary to keep out maneaters, untamable large dogs, and short-legged thieves. However, despite its restricted space, the wellbeing of the road offers a spacious and refreshing atmosphere.

Jinah inhales and exhales heavily as she walks shoulder-to-shoulder with Jangmun. Ever since they closed the tavern, Jangmun hasn’t breathed a sound. It is natural to him but Jinah feels the topic earlier calls for a deeper and evolver conversation. But when she fails to utter a sound, she instead slides her hand into his pocket to hold his hand.

The uncalled for but only normal touch made Jangmun’s heart skip a beat although his legs refuse to miss a step. Once he stops, Jinah stops to face him. “Can’t we hold hands more often when you walk me home?”

The corner of his lips curls up a little as he holds her hand firmly in his pocket.

In the shadows, Jangmun can see Jinah’s bright smile. It was soothing to the eyes and cozy to the heart.

“So, will your visits and taking me home shortens once you start training?”

Jangmun is relief that Jinah is asking about the game of death now. Knowing her, he did esteem it strange when she didn’t question his decision. Not even the basics of why and when did he decide to join? What is his goal? For one who doesn’t admire his kind, how is he going to fight on the same team?

Gently, he tucks her hair behind her ear and sees her cheeks flush red.

“Jangmun,” she voices impatiently.

The said man sigh before he calms her down, “Don’t worry. I’ll practice where I can see and walk you home every night,”

Jinah scoffs and pats his head then coos, “Just so you know if I never made you my boyfriend, you’d be behind bars for stalking,”

He chuckles softly, “I’m glad you made me the former and not your stalker,”

“What’s the former?”

Jinah’s teasing may be mellow for some, but to him, it’s excessive at times.

“So? What’s the former? Say the word. You’re my what?” As she leans forward and backward to play with his emotions, it stops him from being able to look at her properly as well. And in no time, it is his turn turning red. “Say it, say it Jangmun,”

“...Jangmun is your boyfriend,”

Jinah erupts in laughter. “Why are you so cute sometimes? You’re even speaking in third-person now,”

The teasing is short-lived when Jangmun releases her hand and instead moves closer to hug her. Though she is taken by surprise, Jinah happily embraces him tightly.

“Jinah, can I ask you something?”

“Sure,”

“Will...tomorrow’s special has onions too?”

The woman can feel another round of laughter rising in her but with all her might, she pushes it away, “Should I pick them out for you?”

No, it’s fine. I’ll get used to the aftertaste soon,”

Jinah smiles proudly as she pats him on the back, “Tch then why did you complain, to begin with?”

For a brief moment, they can hear nothing but each other’s breathing. And finally, before the night is over Jangmun whispers, “I’m sorry for my selfishness,”

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

And three years from now, Jangmun’s cover as another human male will be revealed to be a mask over his revolting true identity of a monster.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤