salt

salt

Mina looks lovely.

Anyone with eyes can see that. But to me, she is different; she is much more than just lovely. She is so warm, and soft, and she is the reason why my heart won't ever calm down. Mina is royal and so elegant.

Elegance and royalty contrast plain and stupid. Of course I'm stupid; who in their right mind falls for their childhood friend?

Only normal people I'm assuming, considering Sana did the same. Each time I think about them, I feel bad for Nayeon. Or maybe not considering they're both just as wild as each other. I'm glad that Sana got lucky enough to find a foreign girl; she's always wanted to go somewhere other than Japan.

Mina is too different from me. And yet I can't ever seem to get enough of her, always coming back. It's a good thing, I hope. Mina never does tell me that she wants me to leave, so it must be, right?

"Momoring," Mina speaks up, eyes bright and smile careful. "The water is so nice tonight. You don't want to swim with me?"

"Are you sure you want to be seen with me?" I ask. It doesn't matter anyway though because I'm still already walking towards the water, pulling my shirt off halfway.

"Who's going to see you? The fish?" Mina laughs, extending her hand to me. "I always want to be seen with you."

"," I swear as soon as my feet are in the water, already trying to go back into the safety of the sand. "Hell no. You lied to me, this water is cold!"

"You're just a big baby. Come on, it'll get better!"

I guess it will as long Mina is there by me.

Even now, I still think about Sana. So I call her a lot, and I wonder if Korea is as pretty as she says. I can't just guess from the pictures she sends; if they don't do Mina any justice, they won't do Korea any better. I wish that I could stop comparing so many things with Mina.

No I don't.

I might just be the luckiest (and unluckiest) girl in the universe.

When little Sana introduced Mina to me when I was just eight years old, I had absolutely no clue that I would end up loving her. What eight year old knows these things? The only thing I cared about were my pretty pink toys and my sister (our parents weren't around too much). 

And when I turned fifteen, Hana asked me if I was gay. Happy birthday to me, I guessed. But Hana took it so well when I came out, and I still love her to death. Even if Hana embarrassed me right after by asking Mina quite directly if she was my girlfriend. The poor girl was so confused that she couldn't speak to me for a week.

Now I ing wish Mina said yes.

Three years could have been six.


 

On second thought, I wouldn't want to put my fifteen year old self in my current shoes. Three years is already too much. Mina more than likely isn't even into women, and even if she is, why the hell would she want me?

I realize why Mina doesn't like dealing with too many feelings now. 

 

"You're going to take over your family's business?" I pick at my food, refusing to look at Mina. My heart would probably start beating too fast and I'd go into cardiac arrest. Oh and there's also the fact that Mina will more than likely have to move to America.

"Eventually. My parents still want me to study in America for a little bit."

"You don't even speak English, so how the -"

"Momo, language. You're in a public place," Mina sighs and I finally look up at her. And here begins the cardiac arrest. "And I know just enough to get around. It's not like I want to go anyway. You know how Sana moved to South Korea?"

"I do." I am so glad that I didn't choke on my drink, stutter, or turn red in the face. Or maybe I did turn a bit red because I feel way too hot right now.

"I'm thinking about going there. Sana could help me with Korean and I could find a career there," Mina frowns, already leaning slightly over the table to feel my forehead. And now I'm definitely sure that I turned red. If it gets any hotter, I will die from heat exhaustion. "Are you getting sick?"

"Probably." I laugh nervously, and it's so stupid because sure I haven't been able to keep my cool around Mina for three years now, but this is different and I'm definitely about to die. God, what would Sana do?

"Maybe we should go home, then so you can rest."

Suddenly I decide that I should say it. It's what Sana would do anyway, so I'm sure it's the right choice.

"You need to kiss me probably." I almost choke over the words.

"But you're sick," Mina pauses and I don't miss the way Mina's eyes drift to my lips for just a second. It almost goes straight over my head that the only thing Mina is worried about is the fact that I'm "sick".

"We share a place, if I'm getting sick, you'll get sick too. Might as well get sick at the same time, huh?" I swallow thickly. Sana has most definitely possessed my body.

It must be a good thing though considering Mina grabs a menu, covers our faces, and then leans in.

Of course, Mina complained afterward that if I was really sick that she couldn't take care of me if she got sick too. I actually couldn't care less.

And I suppose that I could have confessed to Mina in a much more romantic way, but it was the heat of the moment. Oh man, Sana's friend would love that joke. 

Mina scolds me when she finds out that I wasn't really sick and that I was really just a complete mess of a girl crushing on her like some teenager. Even then I can't stop wanting to kiss her. Mina probably hates me now.

But Mina still looks lovely.

She always does, but there's something about her when she's at the beach and she's singing absentmindedly. She sounds lovely, too. I think Mina could pass as an idol in all honesty. But Mina prefers a life that isn't so loud.

Three years of loving Mina and I've found that I'm only going to get deeper. I'm really not complaining; Mina is too wonderful to not fall in love with over and over again.

"Kiss me," I laugh against her lips despite the freezing cold water. Mina rolls her eyes, reaching for my hand. "Please?"

"No, you'll taste all salty!" 

"Don't care. I miss you." 

"I'm standing right in front of you." Mina points out, but she leans in anyway.

The salt isn't so bad in Korea.